Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Volmarias posted:

Genuinely looking forward to this being something like AFF where just about every female account was a fake or a bot

This is how they literally all go.

There's been articles written about how MAGA women don't want anything to do with MAGA men, but kinda funny with the growing implications that even full on chuds might actually find each other as annoying as everyone else does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Or they act surprised when the men treat them like poo poo.

Leopards eating face, etc.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's been articles written about how MAGA women don't want anything to do with MAGA men, but kinda funny with the growing implications that even full on chuds might actually find each other as annoying as everyone else does.

I know but I'm still gonna laugh

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's been articles written about how MAGA women don't want anything to do with MAGA men

Would love to read some of this

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you think of the type of man that goes for the whole tradwife thing you can probably figure out the issues it's likely to cause

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you think of the type of man that goes for the whole tradwife thing you can probably figure out the issues it's likely to cause

True, but I would think that the MAGAchix would largely go for a lot of that poo poo too and might not care much for the sensitive squishy non MAGAdudes that don't worship guns or Jesus or care much for hunting too so I dunno. A part of me thinks that assholes are assholes and that for the most part people dislike assholes but if you're entire worldview centers around flag sucking authoritarianism, racist views and traditionalism then it's hard for me to see traditional gender roles being a huge deal breaker there either way so I dunno.

My ex wife likes to call herself a liberal and a feminist or whatever but is dating a guy who thinks Trump is one of the greatest presidents ever and somehow that's not a deal breaker. I assume due to his income level, handiness around the house and his looks but I haven't dug that far into it. Something like that would be a non starter for me personally but I don't tell her to to gently caress so whatever and obviously she can do what she wants but it's still puzzling for me.

It's just weird to witness because so much surrounding how she presents herself and the things she claims are important fly in the face of that and she loving HATES Donald Trump but what do I know? She's not as liberal nor as open minded as she likes to claim, I know that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

It's somewhat challenging to google MAGA on MAGA dating because there are 11,000 "voting for Trump is a dealbreaker" articles clogging up the results.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Lol. For the do you want kids question it's: yes/thinking about it/have kids/not sure. So no option to say "nope."

Polite reminder that the antiabortion movement in the US was started with the explicit goal of stopping white women from having abortions due to "great replacement" poo poo.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/d_feldman/status/1558309810801631233

https://programmingwithstyle.com/posts/howihackedmycar/

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

The Sean posted:

Lol. For the do you want kids question it's: yes/thinking about it/have kids/not sure. So no option to say "nope."

Polite reminder that the antiabortion movement in the US was started with the explicit goal of stopping white women from having abortions due to "great replacement" poo poo.

Aren't abortions in the US statistically much more heavily carried out on minority women, and always have been? Banning abortion will just result in America becoming _less_ white over time so I'd struggle to believe that justification over the more standard religious insanity.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1558458626213388292

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh, I thought this was going to be about the Rife machine snake oil that Roas Douthat was waxing philosophical about a year ago m I guess they cranked up the price by an order of magnitude or two, but at least it's more colourful?

https://mobile.twitter.com/douthatnyt/status/1457361100861845511

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Might as well ask here, Twitter has in the last hour or so become extremely unresponsive. Images don't load on embedded tweets on this page, Twitter front page doesn't load etc. Anyone else?

e: seems to be just my broadband connection, on my phone it works fine.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 13, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Might as well ask here, Twitter has in the last hour or so become extremely unresponsive. Images don't load on embedded tweets on this page, Twitter front page doesn't load etc. Anyone else?

Working for me unfortunately, may be a regional outage though if it's not just you

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Okay, it was just the browser's hiccup. Restarting worked.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Blut posted:

Aren't abortions in the US statistically much more heavily carried out on minority women, and always have been? Banning abortion will just result in America becoming _less_ white over time so I'd struggle to believe that justification over the more standard religious insanity.

Please note that I said "started with."

Here's some reading:
https://www.aclu.org/news/racial-justice/the-racist-history-of-abortion-and-midwifery-bans

quote:

DeLee and Horatio Storer urged white women to “spread their loins” across the nation,  a dog whistle about the threat of too many Blacks and Asians in the U.S. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-fight-to-ban-abortion-is-rooted-in-the-great-replacement-theory/

quote:

But the dynamics surrounding the procedure changed by the mid-19th century, as America’s elites began to fear a rising tide of immigrants from Ireland, Italy and other European countries (people often viewed as “inferior”), suffragists seeking new freedoms and recently freed Black people, whom these elites feared were reproducing at higher rates than the white population. Laws limiting abortion, it was believed, would ultimately force middle- and upper-class white women — who had the most access to detect and terminate unwanted pregnancies — to bear more white children.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BiggerBoat posted:

It's just weird to witness because so much surrounding how she presents herself and the things she claims are important fly in the face of that and she loving HATES Donald Trump but what do I know? She's not as liberal nor as open minded as she likes to claim, I know that.

For a lot of people if they're financially insulated one way or the other it's just a game to them or like a favorite pizza topping.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Worth noting, one of the arguments that was cited in overturning roe v Wade was that it was affecting the supply of white babies, which is just :barf:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

eXXon posted:

Oh, I thought this was going to be about the Rife machine snake oil that Roas Douthat was waxing philosophical about a year ago m I guess they cranked up the price by an order of magnitude or two, but at least it's more colourful?

https://mobile.twitter.com/douthatnyt/status/1457361100861845511

He was on Bill Maher last Friday.

Lyme disease is awful and in his case it didn’t follow the normal symptoms.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Worth noting, one of the arguments that was cited in overturning roe v Wade was that it was affecting the supply of white babies, which is just :barf:

Alberta just gave an award to a woman arguing the same thing. loving chuds.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Arivia posted:

Alberta just gave an award to a woman arguing the same thing. loving chuds.

White people are absolutely scared shitless that they will get treated like we've treated everyone else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jaxyon posted:

White people are absolutely scared shitless that they will get treated like we've treated everyone else.

I can't help but be reminded about some article ages back from a white person in South Africa who is apparently confused and unable to understand why black South Africans are actually just getting on with their lives rather than pursuing revenge against white people.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I can't help but be reminded about some article ages back from a white person in South Africa who is apparently confused and unable to understand why black South Africans are actually just getting on with their lives rather than pursuing revenge against white people.

I'll never forget when the families of the congregation dylan stormroof killed said they were willing to forgive him on tv.

Better people by far than I'll ever be.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Apparently the words "Adam Neumann" and "real estate" in the same sentence somehow still cause VCs to gush money from various orifices:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/08/15/business/economy-news-inflation-stocks

quote:

Adam Neumann is back.

The founder of WeWork, whose spectacular rise and fall has been chronicled in books, documentaries and a scripted television series, has a new venture — and a surprising backer.

Mr. Neumann is starting a new company called Flow, focused on the residential real estate market, the DealBook newsletter reports. Notably, it has the financial support of Andreessen Horowitz, the prominent Silicon Valley venture capital firm that was an early investor in everything from Facebook to Airbnb.

Andreessen Horowitz is considered royalty among early-stage investors, so its backing is a powerful sign of support, and perhaps a rebuke to Mr. Neumann’s critics, who have described his leadership of WeWork as a cautionary tale of corporate hubris.

The firm’s investment in Flow is about $350 million, according to three people briefed on the deal, valuing the company at more than $1 billion before it even opens its doors. The investment is the largest individual check Andreessen Horowitz has ever written in a round of funding to a company.

At its height, WeWork was valued at some $47 billion. After a botched public offering and tales of mismanagement, it imploded spectacularly. Mr. Neumann was ousted from WeWork in 2019, but walked away with hundreds of millions of dollars. Today, WeWork has a market value of about $4 billion.

Mr. Neumann, who has purchased more than 3,000 apartment units in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Atlanta and Nashville, aims to rethink the rental housing market by creating a branded product with consistent service and community features. Flow will own and operate the properties Mr. Neumann had bought and also offer its services to new developments and other third parties. Exact details of the business plan could not be learned. (Flow is unrelated to the crypto company Flowcarbon, which was also co-founded by Mr. Neumann and raised $70 million in May in a round led by Andreessen Horowitz.)

I guess this is just a rental apartment company, that's also going to offer to run other people's apartments, so I can't figure out what's "disruptive" here, other than the disruption of common sense in giving this guy more money. But the same VC also invested a bunch in his crypto company, so clearly everything's fine.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm going to guess that its a rental management company which is trying to be large enough that it would be sensible to have renters as subscriber/members of the service itself, and not just people renting an individual property. so like you don't just look at listings of available properties in your preferred area and budget, but there's that as part of a unified platform along with whatever other perks and crap they can attach to it. most apartment complexes these days use some third party platform to manage billing and service requests and such, so integrating a platform like this on a broader collection of rental units along with ??? idk coupons or something

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If I were to hazard a guess, this goes after the same target market of WeWork: tech companies. It’s the age of remote work, nice swanky offices won’t attract employees anymore, but maybe their eyes will light up if you talk about offering them Flow rentals. It might even be a way to get members of the same team to de facto be in the same office — just offer them rentals in the same complex or area.

I’m just freeballing, but it wouldn’t be a stretch, I think.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vegetable posted:

If I were to hazard a guess, this goes after the same target market of WeWork: tech companies. It’s the age of remote work, nice swanky offices won’t attract employees anymore, but maybe their eyes will light up if you talk about offering them Flow rentals. It might even be a way to get members of the same team to de facto be in the same office — just offer them rentals in the same complex or area.

I’m just freeballing, but it wouldn’t be a stretch, I think.

After "inventing" the short-term commercial sublease, he's now "inventing" the company town.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Employee benefits to include Flow credits, without which you wouldn't be able to afford the apartment. Now your living situation as well as your healthcare plan can be directly tied to your employer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Dealing with a rental company that is just expensive and slightly stupid instead of "really loving shady" sounds like something that could actually work in certain markets. The big rental companies in my city are all exceptionally shady. I put down a refundable deposit, in writing, for a friend of mine who was looking for something on ultra-short notice when the market was really tight, he ended up finding something else, and they said "oh, it's not refundable after all."

I said, "well, you can try to deposit that cheque but I've put a stop-payment on it and you can loving sue me, but you'll lose and pay my costs in the process" and they decided that I was, in fact, right all along. But how many people fell for that bullshit? Largely I think they're taking advantage of people who don't know and understand their rights, and can't afford to defend themselves legally if it comes to that.

It's like Uber against the various taxi services. Uber is poo poo; it's an awful, exploitative company, but the taxi monopolies were so, so bad that I still can't really be that angry about it.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

and then Flow can sell/report your internet activity logs back to your employer so the boss can write you up for visiting a non-work related site during work from home business hours.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

PT6A posted:

It's like Uber against the various taxi services. Uber is poo poo; it's an awful, exploitative company, but the taxi monopolies were so, so bad that I still can't really be that angry about it.

I don't know why you think that car shares will be any less exploitive than cabs. Or even that they are now.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Jesus loving christ.

Thanks Ants posted:

Employee benefits to include Flow credits, without which you wouldn't be able to afford the apartment. Now your living situation as well as your healthcare plan can be directly tied to your employer.

Lets say for a minute that they implement something like this. Is there anything in common housing law that would prevent an apartment from requiring the use of Flow credits as part of the monthly rent? Of which you can only get at participating employers? Or say there are specific Flow credits for each employer, and certain places require the use of specific credits in addition to regular rent?

gently caress reinventing the company town, you can reinvent redlining too!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Solkanar512 posted:

Jesus loving christ.

Lets say for a minute that they implement something like this. Is there anything in common housing law that would prevent an apartment from requiring the use of Flow credits as part of the monthly rent? Of which you can only get at participating employers? Or say there are specific Flow credits for each employer, and certain places require the use of specific credits in addition to regular rent?

gently caress reinventing the company town, you can reinvent redlining too!

no but this is all a real goofy hypothetical anyway when they could just coordinate rent and salary if they really wanted to reimplement debt peonage instead of loving around with EvilCoins or whatever

i'll throw one on the pile for the real cackling monster set - permanently on alexa-like devices that monitor the household for whispers against the company. the ghost of henry ford smiles up from hell

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The Andressen Horowitz statement just says that he's a real estate genius, and that COVID has made residential real estate an incredibly lucrative opportunity that they're desperate to get a stake in. If there's any more logic to it beyond that, it's hidden very well behind the avalanche of buzzwords and half-formed thoughts.

quote:

Our nation has a housing crisis.

The demographic trends driving America’s housing market are impossible to ignore: our country is creating households faster than we’re building houses. Structural shortages in available homes for sale push housing prices higher, while young people are staying single for longer and increasingly concentrating in highly desirable urban centers. These factors put enormous pressure on rents in the nation’s most dynamic cities, starkly revealing the troubling realities of both sides of the housing market’s two historical models.

The first model is: you own a home you call your own, typically with a multi-decade mortgage, near your current employer. IF you can find a house, as these locations often aren’t building new housing. IF you can afford that house, as housing prices in many such places have skyrocketed. And even then, you’re now stuck — you can’t move, even if your economic opportunity or life path wants to take you somewhere else.

The second model: you rent an apartment, but: it’s a soulless experience; do you even meet your neighbors, much less have any friends in your complex? Does it feel like home, or just a place to sleep? Are you proud to bring friends and family to visit, or hesitant? And you can pay rent for decades and still own zero equity — nothing. There’s a reason the federal government started subsidizing home mortgages: someone who is bought in to where he lives cares more about where he lives. Without this, apartments don’t generate any bond between person and place and without community, no bond between person to person.

Now drop the impact of the post-COVID world into this. Many people will live in places far away from where they work and many more will shift to a hybrid environment. As a result, they will experience much less, if any, of the in-office social bonding and friendships that local workers enjoy. For many of these people, increased screentime and reduced in-person interaction will cause challenges that are not just limited to work, such as alienation and loneliness. This is not a good path for anyone and it needs to be addressed directly, right now.

At the same time, in the last two years, we have seen a shift in life priorities. For hundreds of years, ambitious young people have had to move to immediate geographic colocation with employers to have access to the best jobs for their skills and talents. That is suddenly no longer true. This newfound flexibility has triggered the “Great Resignation”, where people prioritized other factors over professional considerations. Many people are voting with their feet and moving away from traditional economic hub cities to different cities, towns, or rural areas, with no diminishment of economic opportunity. My partner Katherine Boyle has written about this, and I think she’s right: Can Zoom Save the American Family? and Can Starlink Save the American Mother?

The residential real estate world needs to address these changing dynamics. And yet virtually no aspect of the modern housing market is ready for these changes.

And so, we are excited to partner with Adam Neumann and his colleagues on Flow, which is a direct strike on precisely this problem.

Adam is a visionary leader who revolutionized the second largest asset class in the world — commercial real estate — by bringing community and brand to an industry in which neither existed before. Adam, and the story of WeWork, have been exhaustively chronicled, analyzed, and fictionalized – sometimes accurately. For all the energy put into covering the story, it’s often under appreciated that only one person has fundamentally redesigned the office experience and led a paradigm-changing global company in the process: Adam Neumann. We understand how difficult it is to build something like this and we love seeing repeat-founders build on past successes by growing from lessons learned. For Adam, the successes and lessons are plenty and we are excited to go on this journey with him and his colleagues building the future of living.

We think it is natural that for his first venture since WeWork, Adam returns to the theme of connecting people through transforming their physical spaces and building communities where people spend the most time: their homes. Residential real estate — the world’s largest asset class — is ready for exactly this change.

Shelter is one of our most basic needs. In a world where limited access to home ownership continues to be a driving force behind inequality and anxiety, giving renters a sense of security, community, and genuine ownership has transformative power for our society. When you care for people at their home and provide them with a sense of physical and financial security, you empower them to do more and build things. Solving this problem is key to increasing opportunity for everyone.

Make no mistake, this kind of mission is a heavy lift. Only through a seismic shift in the way industry relationships are structured and the mechanisms through which value is delivered can we hope to address the underlying problems of the current system and build the solution. Doing this requires combining community-driven, experience-centric service with the latest technology in a way that has never been done before to create a system where renters receive the benefits of owners. This means rethinking the entire value chain, from the way buildings are purchased and owned to the way residents interact with their buildings to the way value is distributed among stakeholders. And given the fragmented nature of the ecosystem today, we can only hope to accomplish any of this by bringing every aspect of the living experience together.

We are thrilled by the scope and aspiration of this project. It is not lacking in vision or ambition, but only projects with such lofty goals have a chance at changing the world.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Ride him to an unrealistic valuation and then bail before the music stops I guess?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

The Andressen Horowitz statement just says that he's a real estate genius, and that COVID has made residential real estate an incredibly lucrative opportunity that they're desperate to get a stake in. If there's any more logic to it beyond that, it's hidden very well behind the avalanche of buzzwords and half-formed thoughts.

"The first model is: you own a home you call your own, typically with a multi-decade mortgage, near your current employer. IF you can find a house, as these locations often aren’t building new housing. IF you can afford that house, as housing prices in many such places have skyrocketed. And even then, you’re now stuck — you can’t move, even if your economic opportunity or life path wants to take you somewhere else.

The second model: you rent an apartment, but: it’s a soulless experience; do you even meet your neighbors, much less have any friends in your complex? Does it feel like home, or just a place to sleep? Are you proud to bring friends and family to visit, or hesitant? And you can pay rent for decades and still own zero equity — nothing. There’s a reason the federal government started subsidizing home mortgages: someone who is bought in to where he lives cares more about where he lives. Without this, apartments don’t generate any bond between person and place and without community, no bond between person to person."
:wrong:

Sorry you aren't able to form an emotional bond with something you don't own, OP.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jaxyon posted:

Ride him to an unrealistic valuation and then bail before the music stops I guess?

This is my guess too. Let the FOMO drive the price, cash out, and parachute to a nice landing.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Volmarias posted:

This is my guess too. Let the FOMO drive the price, cash out, and parachute to a nice landing.

Thing is interest rates make this no where near as viable as they were. Unicorns aren't easy to chase now and the tall wonder is gonna have to front a lot more then he would have before, and show a profit well before to make this viable.

And rentals aren't something he can just slam his way into as easily especially when you can't just use vc funds to give renters free things when you need that money to buy the apartments and then cover costs when they aren't paying.

Unless he's going to be the extra middle man between the landlord and tenant which even more lol

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

no but this is all a real goofy hypothetical anyway when they could just coordinate rent and salary if they really wanted to reimplement debt peonage instead of loving around with EvilCoins or whatever

i'll throw one on the pile for the real cackling monster set - permanently on alexa-like devices that monitor the household for whispers against the company. the ghost of henry ford smiles up from hell

You can always put EvilCoins on the blockchain.

Your idea would be a massive deterrent to unionization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
jfc, they’re reinventing block parties