Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Xenomrph posted:

I knew the technique was coming because the review video I watched spoiled it and it still made me grin when I assembled it myself, it’s so slick.
And yet it's still not even my personal technique in the set. For me, it's the way the whole rear lower fascia assembly is built around using those wedge plates to fill the gap behind the rear fenders. You do this whole SNOT assembly and only the very tips of the wedges are even visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Xenomrph posted:

I’m building the Speed Champions Countach and whoever came up with the bit where the rear curved panels slide sideways into place over the back quarters of the car must have been running around the office high-fiving everyone in sight after they came up with it. They probably dislocated their shoulder patting themselves on the back. They must have had to go to the emergency room after their erection didn’t go down after several days.

I knew the technique was coming because the review video I watched spoiled it and it still made me grin when I assembled it myself, it’s so slick.

can you link to the bit in the video? i'm curious

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Futanari Damacy posted:

Toy Story 2 rules. Aged out of it by the third one so I didn’t see that one though.

I, too, am too old for things like cartoons or toys

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Chairchucker posted:

I, too, am too old for things like cartoons or toys

In real time. You know what I'm talking about

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Carbohydrates posted:

And yet it's still not even my personal technique in the set. For me, it's the way the whole rear lower fascia assembly is built around using those wedge plates to fill the gap behind the rear fenders. You do this whole SNOT assembly and only the very tips of the wedges are even visible.

What does SNOT mean?

mastershakeman posted:

can you link to the bit in the video? i'm curious

https://youtu.be/f1SzS0IspGg

9:38

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Xenomrph posted:

What does SNOT mean?

Studs Not On Top. The most basic way to build with legos brand interlocking plastic bricks is to have all the studs on top. But there are pieces that can change the orientation of the bricks so you can end up with studs on the sides or the bottom which allows for new shapes not possible when building the traditional way.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

I love lighthouses, and I want that.

To recreate Horror of Fang Rock, I hope!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kroger (king soopers/city market etc etc) has the muppets figs on sale for $3.99 atm.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

To recreate Horror of Fang Rock, I hope!

I’d have to get one of these!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Just made the new Creator Viking ship. Was great in general, but the way the hull comes together is amazing, and makes me curious if we'll start getting Age of the Sail ships will fully brick-built hulls at some point. Not a particular fan of the brick-built sales, but I guess Creator's going for a kind of different thing with the line, and some of the other brick-built details like the cow and ravens were pretty fun to put together.

Might see if I can't find if I still have the cloth sail from the Viking ship from 2005 to replace it -- which, speaking of, I was pretty struck that this new one feels like a flat out Neo-Galaxy Explorer-esque remake of. Not just the ship and the serpent, but even down to stuff like the ballista and tent. Feels strange to have a remake of a set from my own childhood for a change, and actually putting it together it felt way closer than I'd appreciated from just the pictures.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Futanari Damacy posted:

In real time. You know what I'm talking about

I'm 40 and I've seen all the Toy Stories. I absolutely do not know what you're talking about.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Chairchucker posted:

I'm 40 and I've seen all the Toy Stories. I absolutely do not know what you're talking about.

ok :thumbsup:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just LOL at anyone who thinks they are too old for Toy Story 3.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I've said it before, the XL-15 Spaceship set from the Buzz Lightyear movie is seriously fantastic and shouldn't be overlooked because of the license. The build is surprisingly complex and very different from the new Galaxy Explorer; Lego somehow knocked out a phenomenal un-weaponized viper in the same year as that insane nostalgia bomb Classic Space release.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I almost bought it for $40 but missed out and now I don't want to spend more than that. I have a feeling it will be available around that price or lower in a few months again.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

I was just thinking something very similar, about potentially picking up an extra copy or two to modify into a heavy fighter version or something like the incredible classic space color swap someone in this thread posted a bit ago. Definitely worth $50, but $40 or less should be an instabuy for anyone who likes Lego Space.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BaconCopter posted:

I've said it before, the XL-15 Spaceship set from the Buzz Lightyear movie is seriously fantastic and shouldn't be overlooked because of the license. The build is surprisingly complex and very different from the new Galaxy Explorer; Lego somehow knocked out a phenomenal un-weaponized viper in the same year as that insane nostalgia bomb Classic Space release.

The director is not just an AFOL but designed the WALL-E set.

https://twitter.com/AngusMacLane/status/1508431010148413444

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Waltzing Along posted:

Just LOL at anyone who thinks they are too old for Toy Story 3.

I read the reviews at the time and didn't think it was worth seeing. This also corresponded with the "dark age" of Lego for me.

Though it must be interesting to go straight from being a child to being a grown-rear end child unencumbered by any adult preoccupations :rolleyes:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/toy_story_3

98%

Not worth seeing. I only see movies at 99%

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just lol at the concept of actually believing you’re too old to enjoy a movie just because it superficially appeals to kids

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Especially seeing how TS3 is not a kids movie. Anyone who has seen it knows that the themes and especially the 3rd act are very adult.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Futanari Damacy posted:

I read the reviews at the time and didn't think it was worth seeing. This also corresponded with the "dark age" of Lego for me.

Though it must be interesting to go straight from being a child to being a grown-rear end child unencumbered by any adult preoccupations :rolleyes:

This is an especially dumb take to have in the literal thread for adults playing with and discussing kids toys

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No it's a highly sophisticated interlocking brick system.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Finally cracked the Galaxy Explorer over the weekend. Five bags in, and the whole build so far has been an absolute blast. I haven't built a Lego spaceship since childhood, and never one of that size. Watching the frame come together, with the trim around the edges and then the mosaics of plating on top, it was so much fun, and the way they created the silhouette and pinned the outer edges in place was fascinating.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The speed champions F&F charger is a snooze as a build and a model (happy to have a vin diesel minifig tho) but the DB5 is almost Carbs quality, both in build technique and final appearance.

The hood in particular on the DB5 is impressive.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 14, 2022

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just lol at the concept of actually believing you’re too old to enjoy a movie just because it superficially appeals to kids

I didn’t want to see it, end of discussion. I don’t need to provide any further context than that and it’s frankly unseemly to needle someone over something like that. It’s the definition of “does not matter” which begs the question why you or that other dork have a hair up your rear end about it in the first place

Just because this is a toy thread doesn’t mean you have to be rude children, sheesh

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Dogen posted:

The speed champions F&F charger is a snooze as a build and a model (happy to have a vin diesel minifig tho) but the DB5 is almost Carbs quality, both in build technique and final appearance.

The hood in particular on the DB5 is impressive.

Sadly the "instructions" are a video, but someone made a pretty nice BTAS Batmobile from that:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-119776/KMPMOCS/free-76912-batmobile-from-batman-the-animated-series/#comments

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

Just because this is a toy thread doesn’t mean you have to be rude children, sheesh

Dude, you literally started it by saying you had aged out.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

TheMadMilkman posted:

Dude, you literally started it by saying you had aged out.

As children tend to do... they become adults. Adult interests like cars and girls start to take hold. I'm sure it'll happen for you someday

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Futanari Damacy posted:

Adult interests like cars

:barf:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

When you turn 16 you can get your license, it's an amazing feeling. It tends to reify the interest in a way that Hot Wheels etc. don't

I genuinely don't know what's wrong with you people or why the dogpile but can we talk about Lego please? You clearly can't converse about anything else.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Futanari Damacy posted:

When you turn 16 you can get your license, it's an amazing feeling. It tends to reify the interest in a way that Hot Wheels etc. don't

I genuinely don't know what's wrong with you people or why the dogpile but can we talk about Lego please? You clearly can't converse about anything else.
Hey, as a neutral third party, people are jumping on you because you keep standing by this "aging out" idea. As you get older, your interests shift, sure. We know that. This is a LEGO thread, yeah? Most of us had dark ages and came back to the hobby later in life. For sure, some of that was just shifting priorities, but at the time, I'm sure many of us had feelings that, like, maybe we shouldn't be playing with LEGO anymore. Ideas that, maybe, that's kid stuff and it's time to be mature. This is kind of the angle you keep pushing as you say you aged out of being able to watch a movie, rather than "I didn't care about Toy Story movies at the time because I was a teen and was therefore busy jerking off three times a day." It's an idea that a lot of us realized, in retrospect, was pretty insecure and childish, itself.

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

anyway here's a thing I've been working on

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Enough of this. lol it's not like I went "it's time to put away the things of a child. it's time to become a man."

I didn't want to see the movie, it didn't interest me at the time, I mean that in the most genuine way I can convey- but this is being deliberately mistaken as posturing about what an adult or child should or should not like in a given stage of life. If I say I aged out of it, that's the end of it. I didn't say you should, or anyone else should or should not- I'm providing context for my decisions, which seemingly just beckons more personal criticism, and I can't understand it from either a child or adult's perspective. And of course I can't help anyone who themselves are choosing not to understand.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
World is a gently caress, play with toys or watch kids movies who gives a poo poo

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Love it.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

World is a gently caress, play with toys or watch kids movies who gives a poo poo

That's my point. Nooo I have to give people poo poo for not watching the stupid movie I like

Sorry if I'm cantankerous. None of the sets out right now are doing it for me, I'm waiting on that stupid Eiffel Tower to leak. The Friends theme is incredible this year but I've reached the limit of what can be reasonably displayed without acquiring more shelving and display space. I'm having to rotate poo poo out, I don't even have Titanic on display right now :(

lol these assholes just can't help themselves :flipoff:

Futanari Damacy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 15, 2022

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Futanari Damacy posted:

I didn't want to see the movie, it didn't interest me at the time
That's cool. Same, actually. I wrote that because you were wondering about the "dogpile." Figured I'd try to explain based on what you said. You had what felt like a confrontational tone and you kept dipping back in, you know? If you don't give a poo poo, neither do I. I'd much rather talk about the thing I'm working on.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Futanari Damacy posted:

I didn’t want to see it, end of discussion. I don’t need to provide any further context than that and it’s frankly unseemly to needle someone over something like that. It’s the definition of “does not matter” which begs the question why you or that other dork have a hair up your rear end about it in the first place

You seem like a lot of fun.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

deoju posted:

Love it.
Thanks! I wanted to do this sort of hyper exaggerated 1970s Americana thing, generally tied in to car culture. It's built on MILS plates so would drop right into any LUG display at a show or event. No interiors, because they'd never be seen in that display context. The theater required some engineering, because the marquee overhangs the sidewalk SO far. It's built around a reinforced Technic beam structure that runs through the entire building, cantilevered with a weight on the back.

With a couple basic MILS roads for context:

And a bonus render to show its viability as a backdrop for photographing cars:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Carbohydrates posted:

Thanks! I wanted to do this sort of hyper exaggerated 1970s Americana thing, generally tied in to car culture. It's built on MILS plates so would drop right into any LUG display at a show or event. No interiors, because they'd never be seen in that display context. The theater required some engineering, because the marquee overhangs the sidewalk SO far. It's built around a reinforced Technic beam structure that runs through the entire building, cantilevered with a weight on the back.

With a couple basic MILS roads for context:

And a bonus render to show its viability as a backdrop for photographing cars:

Wow! Awesome build, and also what are using to make renders?

Edit:
Totally unrelated, but is everyone aware of the Wal Mart 90th Anniversary mini castle promo?
https://www.lego90offer.com/

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 14, 2022