Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

You know, that's another option for funniest person to have their fingerprints on the docs. Would love to see Maggie go down for her hard work at legitimizing Trump.

Nah pretty clear Maggie is cashing out.

Most ominous sign against trump, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Nah pretty clear Maggie is cashing out.

Most ominous sign against trump, imo

There is no doubt that he has never been more isolated and alone

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tiny Timbs posted:

That's what happens when you turn on all the losers, tremendous disappointments and coffee runners that comprise your inner circle. Trump demands loyalty above all else but offers none in return aside from a couple of pardons here and there.

Thing is though, he's still got a TON of ardent supporters that would basically die for him but the big problem for Trump is that he hates those kind of people, no matter what he says or how many platitudes he tosses out in their direction. I have little doubt he despises his own base and would much prefer to look out his rally crowds and see them filled with CEO's, rich people, players, handsome Hollywood types, smoking hot chicks and young, Armani suit wearing slicked back hair dudes rather than the psychotic, white trash, CAT hat brandishing, tobacco chewing obese slobs that typically make up his audience.

The people that Trump desperately wants approval from (Old Money Types and famous people mainly) HATE his garish bourgeois rear end almost as much as democrats do. The wealthy NYC establishment considers him a bad joke and despise him. Florida, the villages and Mar A Largo are much more his speed and in line with his brand of "class".

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I had to go read about "her emails!!" and was impressed to find the length of investigation, that they were reclassifying documents afterwards, and that they found maybe three that had been sent that weren't clearly marked.

Well ex president, you want to be treated the same way? We'll investigate you for years including opening a new investigation ten days before any election of yours. I also hear you secretly declassified everything in December of 2020. Neat. So then
https://mobile.twitter.com/BlackKnight10k/status/1558873222128484354

Checkmate traitor. :hampants:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

The people that Trump desperately wants approval from (Old Money Types and famous people mainly) HATE his garish bourgeois rear end almost as much as democrats do. The wealthy NYC establishment considers him a bad joke and despise him. Florida, the villages and Mar A Largo are much more his speed and in line with his brand of "class".

Kind of shows why he would be drawn to foreign despots. As president they would have been very kind to him due to the immense amount of things he could do for them. Even a meeting with the US president can have big impacts on political positions and many of them represent really old, or really vast wealth.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

:yeah:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1558599576768200711?s=20&t=0rj68URvb64XAeilHyGPlQ
John Cooper is not exactly un-biased or unemotional about this topic, but he actually raises a very good point: the FBI may be able to find more just be fingerprints on these documents.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
There was clearly urgency in recovering these documents, but is there any urgency to file charges?

The DOJ can just let these revelations hang, insist that they're not allowed to pursue charges until mid-november, and file the moment midterm polls close.

And that might be the timing that best serves dem purposes, and it wouldn't even take any conspiracy between Biden and garland for garland to read it and play it that way.

I wanna see everything now now now
But what's the latest we might expect the doj to file charges relating directly to this warrant?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Andrew Torrez on the Opening Arguments podcast had a really good point that the only reason we know about this is because Trump threw a shitfit about it. Garland and the DoJ have carefully been quiet as a tomb (which many people, here and on the internet at large had taken as inaction -- how's that going now?).

It looks like things are coming to a head, but that's because it's the one public-facing data point into an entire investigation, and we don't know precisely what has happened before or what the DoJ will do after. We can make conjecture, but we don't actually have much in the way of facts unless someone here has been secretly a high-level DoJ official this whole time doing some truly baroque trolling.

Personally, with almost no evidence, I'm kind of hoping that this combined with the DoJ investigation into the long-ongoing rampant sexual abuses in the Southern Baptist Convention, will be the first signs of the DoJ not giving a poo poo anymore about playing nice with blatantly illegal right-wing bullshit out of political necessity and start doing some serious prosecutions and reform ; however, my entire logic is "well, they've certainly pissed off a bunch of conservatives who are going to get violent, why not keep going? What are they gonna do, domestic terrorism? They're already doing that, now we can at least get poo poo done."

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
Hey nite crew, since news is a trickle rn, can we maybe speculate on what a flight from justice might look like?

Like, is it possible? Where might he flee to? How?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Uglycat posted:

Hey nite crew, since news is a trickle rn, can we maybe speculate on what a flight from justice might look like?

The presidency.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I just hope it involves Don Jr. and Eric smuggling themselves across the border in a hijacked RV with the kidnapped owners so that they can spend the night waiting for their contacts at a trucker-and-biker centric titty bar.

A bar that is just a bar, and where nothing weird will happen.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Comedy option is Trump tries to flee to Russia, and Putin goes "new tsar, who dis?"

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I have full confidence that if trump had just taken photos of the documents with his unsecured iPhone and returned them 6 months ago when they got asked for, nothing would have happened.

His laziness will do him in.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Uglycat posted:

Actually it’s Trump so he’d probably just think he’s going to get on his own jet and just leave the country. He’ll get stopped on the runway and he will just live on his jet for months as he runs his re-election campaign. Occasionally a McDonalds truck will come and drop off a few thousand hamberders.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

The presidency.

What I see is a response to the execute Trump idea is why not all the GOP.

So I think the response is to attempt to cause an insurrection and violence between R’s & D’s

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

The Lone Badger posted:

The presidency.
Pretty much this. He's around hoping for pressure from an R house or senate, obstructing everything to the point where the next R president can issue a pardon. He's not a "flight risk" until charged, and it's not clear that anything is close enough to him personally at this point.

It's helpful that he thinks he's immune, so he's going to keep running things from his properties where he feels he has power. He needs chanting crowds and he won't get those anywhere but here.

In fact the best move might be to call him in for a deposition then serve an indictment 3ft from the door on his way out. They'll probably all claim that's "entrapment", but if he's indicted they'll go loving insane with excuses and made up definitions so it may not matter.

I'm not much of a student of history but my question would be, What happens the day he gets sent to prison? (Actually I know the answer, Biden pardons him, which it would nice if such a pardon could simply reduce the sentence to house arrest with no electronics or something.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Pretty much this. He's around hoping for pressure from an R house or senate, obstructing everything to the point where the next R president can issue a pardon.

He's narcissistic enough to think he'll be that president. Just had to run the clock out until 2024 and everything will be fine!

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
He's "pushing pieces", in chess parlance

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pushing pawns

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Pushing pawns

Yeah, but not on the sense of a pawn storm in response to a castle; rather, in the sense of a player that has already lost, where no move affords an advantage, but the player lacks the wisdom or honor to tip their king.

Sometimes you can win speed chess by pushing pieces until the other players flag drops.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Uglycat posted:

Yeah, but not on the sense of a pawn storm in response to a castle; rather, in the sense of a player that has already lost, where no move affords an advantage, but the player lacks the wisdom or honor to tip their king.

Sometimes you can win speed chess by pushing pieces until the other players flag drops.

He in no way has already lost, unless that's what you were implying.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

cr0y posted:

When I was in high school i went to a chess club meeting where we did a speed chess tourney and I was seeded against a genuine chess master (who never ever plays speed chess) and after losing the opening I just pushed pieces and watched his time tick away.

Only time I ever beat a player that's better than mediocre, but i was clearly outplayed every move.

E - if we build this analogy, is the flag drop '24, or would republicans taking the house change circumstances dramatically?

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 15, 2022

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Uglycat posted:

When I was in high school i went to a chess club meeting where we did a speed chess tourney and I was seeded against a genuine chess master (who never ever plays speed chess) and after losing the opening I just pushed pieces and watched his time tick away.

Only time I ever beat a player that's better than mediocre, but i was clearly outplayed every move.

E - if we build this analogy, is the flag drop '24, or would republicans taking the house change circumstances dramatically?

Republicans winning the house would be completely irrelevant wrt Trump's legal problems. There's nothing left for the house to do.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Meanwhile, in Georgia, Lindsey Graham has to testify.
Happy Monday!

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1559172702832934912?t=8_WQtxMtMlf194BlnT_dcw&s=19

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

cr0y posted:

I think he has. Garland isn’t loving around and what they done signals what they are going to do clearly.

Uglycat posted:

Yeah they’re hoping for a mistake that allows them to delay indefinitely or chance.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mirotic posted:

Meanwhile, in Georgia, Lindsey Graham has to testify.
Happy Monday!

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1559172702832934912?t=8_WQtxMtMlf194BlnT_dcw&s=19

God damnit Lindsey go loving testify, you’re just going to take the fifth a hundred times anyway.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Murgos posted:

God damnit Lindsey go loving testify, you’re just going to take the fifth a hundred times anyway.

Bonus points: grant him immunity so that he can't just plead the 5th, and then nail him when he inevitabily perjures himself. He can't help but talk out of both sides of his mouth.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Can't take the 5th to a grand jury

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mdemone posted:

Sure you can. You have to show up, but you can plead the 5th to questioning. And since they're not public, it's not like it even looks that bad.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mdemone posted:

Can you source that? A quick google search seems to indicate that’s not correct for a federal grand jury.

It’s a state grand jury though so, maybe the rules are different?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hmm, guess I was wrong there. I could have sworn they could compel testimony.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

mdemone posted:

Hmm, guess I was wrong there. I could have sworn they could compel testimony.

it's in the constitution and has been supported with case law that you cannot be forced to bear witness against yourself. The exception is if you are granted immunity for your contributing testimony.

but, then again, the right to a speedy trial is in the constitution and lol

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cranappleberry posted:

it's in the constitution and has been supported with case law that you cannot be forced to bear witness against yourself. The exception is if you are granted immunity for your contributing testimony.

but, then again, the right to a speedy trial is in the constitution and lol

Well my (apparently wrong) understanding is that you're not the target of whatever grand jury is looking at, so it's not about you and you can be compelled.

Then again IANAL.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://www.bostondefenselaw.com/i-...-plead-the-5th/

This seems to indicate I was right...? That is, you have to have a basis for taking the 5th, a theory by which you could be linked to a crime if you do testify.

quote:

If the attorney determines that there is a "real risk that [if you were to testify] your answers would tend to indicate your involvement in illegal activity[,]" Commonwealth v. Martin, 423 Mass. 496 (1996), then your attorney will be able to make the argument to the judge that you "have a 5th." The prosecutor is not present when your attorney explains your 5th amendment privilege to the judge.

If the judge agrees that you have a valid 5th, then the prosecutor may not force you to testify...yet.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mdemone posted:

https://www.bostondefenselaw.com/i-...-plead-the-5th/

This seems to indicate I was right...? That is, you have to have a basis for taking the 5th, a theory by which you could be linked to a crime if you do testify.

You always have to have a basis to plead the 5th. It's just hard to pierce and we don't do it against the ruling class

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

I guess that this really is the week for Georgia?

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/1559216301054230530

You should be able to access the full story here.

Granted, it's more than Georgia - Michigan, Nevada both name checked, and they were in GA on Jan. 7.

Edit Jesus Christ this is too much for a Monday. This is NYT.

https://twitter.com/dannyhakim/status/1559221116115337216?t=u9-riqzMpJ7IwXV76VLMIA&s=19

Mirotic fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 15, 2022

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mdemone posted:

Well my (apparently wrong) understanding is that you're not the target of whatever grand jury is looking at, so it's not about you and you can be compelled.

Then again IANAL.

You can always plead the fifth if answering a question has a real possibility of incriminating yourself.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Grip it and rip it posted:

You can always plead the fifth if answering a question has a real possibility of incriminating yourself.

I wonder how long Donald could actually keep his mouth shut when being questioned though. Imagine if he did sell government secrets to the Saudis, all they would have to do is lowball the amount he sold the secrets for and he probably wouldn't be able to help but brag.

"Half a million? I'm the best deal maker, I got the most anyone could get, I got 10 million and permission to build a Trump Resort."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Looks like they indeed copied Georgia voting machine data and we are just finding out.

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1559217764199501824