Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

null_pointer posted:

In most places in my house I have one bar of 4G and depend entirely on wifi calling; sending pictures on SMS is a fool's errand, with upload speeds rivaling that of a 64k modem.

Has anyone had any experience dealing with very poor signal and installing some sort of device to rectify it? If so, what product did you use, how gnarly was the install, and what were the results?

I have had a similar problem over the last several years but my phone will show at least 3 bars of LTE and cannot send picture SMS and sometimes just text will not go through. I guess my town (which is right along a major interstate) is just a weird dead zone because other people, including businesses, have commented on the issue.

WiFi calling is a blessing because I sometimes wonder how bad my calls would be without it. I will let you know that when I have called into Verizon before, they usually tell me to go to a store and swap SIM cards. But with Duckman’s suggestion, it might work out better for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Cross post for help:

The Bananana posted:

If my Samsung galaxy s21 ultra keeps freezing, crashing, then restarting intermittently, but seems to run fine in safe mode...
Does.. that mean I should try a factory reset?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Fiance and I both have the 10 GB plans individually. Would we have any trouble combining this into one shared 10 gig plan now that they're not available for new accounts?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I live in the mountains now with poor cellular reception to my home. I have wifi calling enabled on my phone and my wife's phone, and my internet is rock-solid with a mesh network, but there are still dead zones in the house that seem to exist whether or not wifi calling is on. For instance, reception is obviously best on the top level of the house, sucks in the basement, and there are some weird dead zones on the main level. Shouldn't wifi calling obviate this? Is there any way to force our phones to do all calling over wifi in lieu of using the cellular signal, without just turning cellular off?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

I live in the mountains now with poor cellular reception to my home. I have wifi calling enabled on my phone and my wife's phone, and my internet is rock-solid with a mesh network, but there are still dead zones in the house that seem to exist whether or not wifi calling is on. For instance, reception is obviously best on the top level of the house, sucks in the basement, and there are some weird dead zones on the main level. Shouldn't wifi calling obviate this? Is there any way to force our phones to do all calling over wifi in lieu of using the cellular signal, without just turning cellular off?

Tbh, no idea. I’ve lived in areas before with horrible coverage, and Wi-Fi calling wasn’t perfect but mostly worked. I could be outside and still be fine. That said, those two players were def small houses , so I don’t have experience with it on a larger house or a mesh network.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I currently have Disney+ bundled with my plan. However, with Disney increasing prices at the end of the year, will that also affect Verizon users too?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dancing Peasant posted:

I currently have Disney+ bundled with my plan. However, with Disney increasing prices at the end of the year, will that also affect Verizon users too?

No idea yet. I’m on vacation , so I probably won’t know until I get back in 8-10 days. When I find out I’ll update here.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
You would think it wouldn't affect VZW perks because I'm guessing Verizon just pays them a huge lump sum annually and already gets a pretty hefty per-user discount.

My guess is more "fees and taxes."

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

No idea yet. I’m on vacation , so I probably won’t know until I get back in 8-10 days. When I find out I’ll update here.

Hey Duckman I got a sim card and plan for a hotspot device and was told that because I have a 5g Do More plan that the Plus hotspot plan would be 50% off. Its been a few months now and when I asked why I wasnt getting the discount the person in the store told me applied I got told " the only eligible plans for the connected lines should be a maximum of $20 based cost" by the agent in the support chat.

Did the guy in the store lie to me about the data plan being eligible or does the agent just not want to fix something and i really am owed like 5 months of a discount that wasnt applied?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stravag posted:

Hey Duckman I got a sim card and plan for a hotspot device and was told that because I have a 5g Do More plan that the Plus hotspot plan would be 50% off. Its been a few months now and when I asked why I wasnt getting the discount the person in the store told me applied I got told " the only eligible plans for the connected lines should be a maximum of $20 based cost" by the agent in the support chat.

Did the guy in the store lie to me about the data plan being eligible or does the agent just not want to fix something and i really am owed like 5 months of a discount that wasnt applied?

The max discount is $20 a month. It’s “up to half off.”

Honestly, the person in store probably just didn’t know. Not a great excuse though no.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Ok but that hotspot plan is 40/mo base so i should still be able to get 20/mo discount and not 0 right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stravag posted:

Ok but that hotspot plan is 40/mo base so i should still be able to get 20/mo discount and not 0 right?

Oh. Yeah, if you have a line on Do more unlimited and you have the hotspot on the 50GB $40 plan, it’ll go down to $20.

Check your bill. Does it show $40 - $20 ? That’s how it actually looks on the bill.

If it doesn’t, call care at (800) 392-0717 and they’ll fix it.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It was showing as just 40. The agent said they fixed it but that's what they said in March too. I'll give that number a call if it's still messed up after my cycle ends on the 17th

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

As an update to my "poor LTE reception in house" question, I researched outdoor antenna-and-booster packages, but had absolutely zero desire to monkey around on the roof and attic, mounting poo poo and running cable. I went for the path of least resistance and dropped $250 USD on Verizon's LTE network extender.

Unpacked it, connected it to my router in one corner of the house, a few minutes later I have 5 bars of signal in my office, 4 bars almost everywhere else, and 3 bars in the far opposite corner of the house. Picture and video SMS messages upload within seconds, now, as opposed to minutes. It was completely painless to install, works without any hassle, and was by far the best decision to make. I would strongly recommend it over an external antenna; for the price of a decent external antenna, you could buy two of these things and put them in opposite corners of the house, if you wanted.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Does it reach farther/better than your WiFi? I guess I'm just curious what the advantage is over WiFi if your phone does WiFi calling.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

SMS still uses cellular networks, and I still need at least one bar in order to use wifi calling. Zero bars meant no calls whatsoever, and one bar meant "good luck sending anything but text in your text messages!"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Danhenge posted:

Does it reach farther/better than your WiFi? I guess I'm just curious what the advantage is over WiFi if your phone does WiFi calling.

It’s weird, Wi-Fi calling has worked in 2 different houses I lived at with bad coverage with multiple phones (albeit all iPhone). But I do have customers claim wifi calling doesn’t fix it, enough that I think it def is YMMV.

SMS is a good point, I use google voice so I literally almost never use actually SMS.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh. Yeah, if you have a line on Do more unlimited and you have the hotspot on the 50GB $40 plan, it’ll go down to $20.

Check your bill. Does it show $40 - $20 ? That’s how it actually looks on the bill.

If it doesn’t, call care at (800) 392-0717 and they’ll fix it.

Got a real answer finally. The discount doesnt apply because its a router technically. Which doesnt make sense to me because every hotspot device is a router right?

Device in question https://a.co/d/iN749Z9

Stravag fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 14, 2022

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hey Duckman, I'm sure you're probably spinning today, good luck.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hey Duckman, I'm sure you're probably spinning today, good luck.

Lol i purposefully took today off, and I’m off tomorrow since they obviously want me to work Saturday too.

Anyway, I’m working on figuring out the promos and will post when I have them confirmed. Anyone that needs help ordering PM me, I work Friday and Saturday

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Oh, awesome.

Good time to do that, lol.

I've totally never done things like that before. Never.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Oh, awesome.

Good time to do that, lol.

I've totally never done things like that before. Never.

Yeah, and I’m partial commission based, so sales the 2 days before iPhone preorder, especially once it’s announced, mostly plummet (obviously there’s non iPhone stuff I guess). So I’ll take the day off, I get commission relief when I take PTO, lowers my goal right before launch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yo Duckman: I see that new phones are locked for 60 days from purchase. Does this include a secondary eSIM "slot" on these new iPhones? I ask because we are going to Italy and if there's a good promo, we're going to trade in my old phone to get my wife a new one. If it is, it's not a huge issue, we'll just bring her old current, but I imagine reprovisioning her old physical SIM will be a pain, if not impossible? Or maybe wait until we get back to order something idk

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Do we know yet how the price increase of the Disney Bundle will affect the Disney Bundle included with the Get More (or whatever) plan?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

OldSenileGuy posted:

Do we know yet how the price increase of the Disney Bundle will affect the Disney Bundle included with the Get More (or whatever) plan?

I've a feeling that Verizon just paid Disney a huge sum of money and signed an agreement saying something to the effect of "if you raise your prices at any time, just remember this huge sum of money we gave you and leave us out of it."

Willingly grant I could be wrong, though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Yo Duckman: I see that new phones are locked for 60 days from purchase. Does this include a secondary eSIM "slot" on these new iPhones? I ask because we are going to Italy and if there's a good promo, we're going to trade in my old phone to get my wife a new one. If it is, it's not a huge issue, we'll just bring her old current, but I imagine reprovisioning her old physical SIM will be a pain, if not impossible? Or maybe wait until we get back to order something idk

Both SIM slots are locked for 60 days no exceptions unless it’s military or you buy it full retail. They are auto unlocked automatically after 61 days.

You could just re activate her old SIM like, the day or so before leaving if you want to use Verizon service there. It can be done through the website or just call care. Shouldn’t be that hard IMO.

International is $10 a day for days of use. If it’s a week or so most people pay it for convenience. Fyi if you aren’t getting a local SIM it doesn’t matter that the phone is locked, a locked phone to Verizon will still work international with the Verizon $10 a day thing. So you only need to worry about her old phone if you wanted to use a local SIM.

OldSenileGuy posted:

As far as I know, there is no pricing changes for anyone who is getting Disney+ free (if you were paying for it it’s changing like normal). And the above post is probably correct, so hopefully it stays free with those plans.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To be clear: the plan was to get local eSIMs because they are much cheaper than $10/day and leave the Verizon physical SIMs in. I can get an eSIM on Airalo for $16 that gets 10 GB usable for 30 days.

Might just wait until after vacation to see what things are like.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I guess I should post this here instead of the iPhone thread:

TheWevel posted:

If I'm on Verizon eSIM and order a new unlocked 14 Pro, will the eSIM move over when I activate the new phone as part of the initial setup? My work is in control of the Verizon account so I'd rather not involve them if possible.

I put in a request to convert my physical SIM to eSIM this morning...we'll see if they have any idea what I'm talking about.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheWevel posted:

I guess I should post this here instead of the iPhone thread:

For consumer plans it supposedly should just transfer. It’s probably the same with business, but I don’t work in business so honestly I can’t confirm either way.

Endless Mike posted:

To be clear: the plan was to get local eSIMs because they are much cheaper than $10/day and leave the Verizon physical SIMs in. I can get an eSIM on Airalo for $16 that gets 10 GB usable for 30 days.

Might just wait until after vacation to see what things are like.

Oh, I follow. When are you back from vacation?

Personally , it’s worth getting the phone on the promo if she’s keeping it 3 years, so I would lean towards get phone, take promo, and just take her old phone with you to Italy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ok, so I think I have enough info and it’s all posted online where I can confirm Verizon promos.

For both new and upgrade:
if you are on a premium unlimited plan:
iPhone XR or newer: $800 trade in

iPhone X or older: $400 trade in

If you are any other unlimited plan (except the cheap welcome one):
iPhone XR or newer: $400 trade in

iPhone X or older: $200 trade in

For new customers: some of the Pro models (probably the 11 pro, 12 pro and 13 pro) are getting a bump of $1000 instead of $800, but I think that is new lines only.

All discounts are, of course, over 36 months. Verizon unlocks phones after 60 days use, so for the majority of the time the phones are unlocked.

If it’s a 6 or 6S as the trade In not sure if it’ll get a trade in.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does 5G Start count as a Premium Unlimited plan? My wife is on that and wants to upgrade from her XR, and getting $800 in trade in value sounds good to me.

Possibly silly question - the $800 trade in value is only good towards an iPhone 14, right? We wouldn't get the same value if we traded it in for a 13?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does 5G Start count as a Premium Unlimited plan? My wife is on that and wants to upgrade from her XR, and getting $800 in trade in value sounds good to me.

Possibly silly question - the $800 trade in value is only good towards an iPhone 14, right? We wouldn't get the same value if we traded it in for a 13?

Start is not a premium plan. You can get the $800 , but you would have to move her up $10 a month. If it helps, she would get higher data access for it.

It’s a $800 trade in on premium for the 14 on premium, $400 on start. The iPhone 13 they are running a promo of $600 trade in on ANY unlimited, so you could also get the 13 with a good trade in on her start unlimited.

PM if you want me to call you and order it tomorrow.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Did the trade in programs get worse in the last 24 hours? I was looking to trade my wife’s SE2 for an iPhone 12 or 13. I thought I’d wait for the MSRP to be adjusted based on the apple presentation, but it looks like they also reduced the trade in value?

What’s the most cost effective way to do this? She doesn’t want a pro or the latest model. Her line is on “5G Play more,” I’m on “5G Do more,” and I have another line on “5G Start”

Thanks in advance!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AdmiralViscen posted:

Did the trade in programs get worse in the last 24 hours? I was looking to trade my wife’s SE2 for an iPhone 12 or 13. I thought I’d wait for the MSRP to be adjusted based on the apple presentation, but it looks like they also reduced the trade in value?

What’s the most cost effective way to do this? She doesn’t want a pro or the latest model. Her line is on “5G Play more,” I’m on “5G Do more,” and I have another line on “5G Start”

Thanks in advance!

The SE 2 doesn’t get the $800 trade in (it didn’t last year). And like, Tbf the phone retailed for $430, so I don’t think I would expect it to.

You can get either a $400 trade in towards the $800 iPhone 14, or a $300 trade in towards the $700 iPhone 13.

So iPhone $14 would be $400 over 3 years ($11 a month over 3 years), in this case it won’t make sense to do the 13.

They always put the higher trade in promo towards the latest phones. The 13 dropped in price yes, but they also don’t apply the higher trade in towards the 12 or 13.

You pay sales tax and an upgrade fee.

If you need help ordering I work all day and don’t mind helping , just PM and I can call and order for you.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

. The iPhone 13 they are running a promo of $600 trade in on ANY unlimited, so you could also get the 13 with a good trade in on her start unlimited.

Are you sure about this? I'm seeing this on Apple's site when I go down the "Buy an iPhone 13" rabbit hole:

"Connect on a One Unlimited, Get More, Play More, or Do More rate plan to receive $600 total trade-in credit. Or get $300 total trade-in credit on a Start rate plan."

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Dumb question, I did the trade-in promo last year for the 13 pros since they gave me a great deal on my old X. Since I'm still paying off that one and locked into the plan to continue getting the monthly payment discounts, am I eligible to trade it in for a new one and pay the difference?

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Never done this before and don't want to mess things up so have a question around the new iPhones and adding a new line.

My fiancee and I want to merge our phone plans. We're both currently on Verizon. I want to add a new line and get the new iPhone 14 Pro for the line, and port the old number over.

How do I go about doing this? What happens in the meantime before the phone gets shipped? My main concern is somehow losing the old number.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Virtue posted:

Dumb question, I did the trade-in promo last year for the 13 pros since they gave me a great deal on my old X. Since I'm still paying off that one and locked into the plan to continue getting the monthly payment discounts, am I eligible to trade it in for a new one and pay the difference?

You would have to buy out the rest of your payment plans at like, $400-500 remaining. So overall nope.

A lot of people were very sad to find this out today.

unpurposed posted:

Never done this before and don't want to mess things up so have a question around the new iPhones and adding a new line.

My fiancee and I want to merge our phone plans. We're both currently on Verizon. I want to add a new line and get the new iPhone 14 Pro for the line, and port the old number over.

How do I go about doing this? What happens in the meantime before the phone gets shipped? My main concern is somehow losing the old number.

You’re both On Verizon right? That’s not add a line, it’s a transfer of service. You would transfer number to account then order phone.

Transfer your service is (888) 832-4540

If you need help or clarification no problem, feel free to PM. I can help you order whatver phone on upgrade.

Btw, as anyone here can tell, i survived iPhone preorder , just slightly loopy.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

You would have to buy out the rest of your payment plans at like, $400-500 remaining. So overall nope.

A lot of people were very sad to find this out today.

Fair enough, thanks for the tip. Saves me a call to Verizon. Fingers crossed for good trade-in promo next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

my partner has been thinking of switching to verizon cuz with wireless + fios it’d be cheaper (just the cost of plans). she has an lg stylo 6 on t-mobile, would that get the fancy upgrade discount for the iphone 14, or is it just iphones?

also while i’m here, would a nine month old iphone 13 already on verizon would get the basically free iphone 14?