Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

we do the same to citizens as well, Rigel. we black-bagged a bunch of protesters under Trump, and he publicly ordered a hit on one of them. no consequences followed for the officers involved. you say the words 'national security' and the President can not only get away with murder, he can get away with bragging about how successful the murder was.

Barack "we tortured some folks" Obama is another fine example of this. He signed off on doing many horrible things to many entirely innocent people(and their families, and anyone in the same city block) for extremely spurious reasons and got away with it entirely.

Rigel posted:

Do you believe Biden should attempt to put the leaders of the GOP into secret prisons, forcibly remove 3 supreme court justices, declare FOX to be an enemy of the state and shut down, and/or declare any law saying he can't to be invalid? Or if not exactly that then something else very similar?

In your world, is Democracy an illusion and we just need to stop pretending and start being the authoritarian strongmen who crushes the opposition before they do the same?

Ok I'm going to bite the bullet and ask: Do you know what authoritarianism means? You seem to have gotten some wires crossed and believe it means "when someone uses their authority" which is not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Yinlock posted:

Barack "we tortured some folks" Obama is another fine example of this. He signed off on doing many horrible things to many entirely innocent people(and their families, and anyone in the same city block) for extremely spurious reasons and got away with it entirely.

Ok I'm going to bite the bullet and ask: Do you know what authoritarianism means? You seem to have gotten some wires crossed and believe it means "when someone uses their authority" which is not the case.

in fairness I think rigel has retreated to talking about how it only counts if it's done to US citizens and as such all those forced hysterectomies by ICE under Obama aren't really authoritarian.

does raise the question of how Obama established that he was allowed to extrajudicially murder an American teenager on the grounds he chose his father poorly, though.

(Anwar al-Awlaki, human rights fans!)

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

The next election won't be stolen with guns and nooses, it will be stolen with spreadsheets, legislation, judges and lawyers. No sense fighting battles when you can just build systems to engineer the outcome you want then get everyone arguing about your lies that it's a fair and impartial system.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

i know why I believe they're not acting: Democrats are afraid that the Republican base will back the Republican Party in any escalation, whereas they think their base will evaporate early on in any escalation, and as such they think they only stand to lose through confrontation.

Way I read this is that at this point Democrats may accurately think their voters will not die to protect a single one of them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
We were kind of knocking this subject around yesterday

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/13/us/southern-baptist-convention-doj-investigation/index.html

Southern Baptist Convention says it faces a DOJ investigation after outside report finds leaders mishandled allegations of sexual abuse

The Department of Justice has launched an investigation into the Southern Baptist Convention and its entities on the heels of an explosive report that detailed the mishandling of allegations of sexual abuse by church leaders, the SBC said in a statement Friday.

The report in May by a third-party firm, Guidepost Solutions, also said church leaders intimidated victims and their advocates and resisted attempts at reform over the course of two decades.

“Survivors and others who reported abuse were ignored, disbelieved, or met with the constant refrain that the SBC could take no action,” the report found, “even if it meant that convicted molesters continued in ministry with no notice or warning to their current church or congregation.”

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yinlock posted:

Do you believe those would have been examples of Biden using his authority? I sure as hell don't.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

we do the same to citizens as well, Rigel. we black-bagged a bunch of protesters under Trump, and he publicly ordered a hit on one of them. no consequences followed for the officers involved. you say the words 'national security' and the President can not only get away with murder, he can get away with bragging about how successful the murder was.

Do you believe Trump could have done to citizens on a broad scale what every president has always been explicitly authorized to do to non-citizens, if he chooses to?

If we dig deep we can always find awful, odd, isolated incidents of crimes by rogue agents and abuses of power by every president that isn't adequately addressed. This doesn't lead you to be able to conclude "and therefore, the president easily could (and probably should if a Democrat) ignore the rule of law and the rights of citizens to get poo poo done".

quote:

as an example of a Republican attack Democrats are unwilling to answer, the Governor of Texas is currently going above the Federal Government's head in negotiating with a foreign power; he has come to an independent agreement with Mexico regarding border security which the Biden administration has elected to do nothing about. that's not secession from the union, but it's a hell of a lot closer than any state has come in a long loving time. to which Democrats have responded with: nothing.

Mexico said a few words to let the governor save face and back down on a very stupid decision that Beto was using against him, and that was costing him politically. He needed to find something to point to so he could tell his base he didn't cave. This really isn't the big deal you make it out to be.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I guess this is a note now that the US is waking up again: please no one go back to last night's very lovely conversation about who is an authoritarian,what does it mean to be an authoritarian, and who is the real fascist, certainly my posting enemies. It sucks every time and it is why everyone hates this thread and everyone inside it. Maybe real news will happen again soon instead of us eating each other

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/14/politics/capitol-car-incident/index.html

Man fatally shoots self after crashing car into barricade near US Capitol Building

quote:

A man shot and killed himself after driving into a vehicle barricade near the US Capitol Building early Sunday morning, US Capitol Police said.

The incident happened shortly after 4 a.m. ET, when the man drove his car into a barricade at East Capitol Street and Second Street. He then exited his car, which became “engulfed in flames,” and fired several shots into the air, Capitol Police said in a statement.

He then fatally shot himself when authorities approached him. There were no additional injuries and the man’s name was not immediately released, according to the statement.

“At this time, it does not appear the man was targeting any Members of Congress, who are on recess, and it does not appear officers fired their weapons,” the statement read. “Our investigators are looking into the man’s background.”

DC’s Metropolitan Police Department is handling the death investigation, the statement said

So...whatever the gently caress this is about. 4am on a Sunday would certainly be an odd time to stage any sort of attack

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
Doesn't seem too far-fetched to assume it was simply a dramatic way to commit suicide.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

raifield posted:

Doesn't seem too far-fetched to assume it was simply a dramatic way to commit suicide.
It sure seems like that was the point, yeah

I'm also pretty sure this isn't even the first time someone has done that near the Capitol

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

raifield posted:

Makes as much sense as anything I guess. Also, at that hour, I'd be genuinely surprised if alcohol wasn't a factor as well. Just a weird story.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

raifield posted:

A ton of mass shootings have been pretty much that.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The car makes it sound like there was some additional incendiary device that was triggered prematurely.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Morrow posted:

The car makes it sound like there was some additional incendiary device that was triggered prematurely.

That's possible too; that the guy rammed a barricade with the intent of reaching a specific target and maybe tried it at that hour because it'd be less crowded and, in his mind, easier to pull off. Pretty sure it was an Antifa guy financed by Soros though.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Morrow posted:

Cars typically contain several gallons of highly flammable liquid.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
As the Trump legal spin cycle continues, law professor/legalblogger Orin Kerr dives into why the latest excuse -- a rewarmed leftover from Manafort's defense -- doesn't hold water. As with most times the GOP actually is forced to deal with the legal system they've created, I fruitlessly hope this leads them to global reforms... knowing full well the objection instead is that it shouldn't be this mean to us.

tl;dr: Warrants need to be specific but they are read as a whole. "Any government records [during Trump's term]" is unconstitutionally vague on its own, but is read by the courts as "any government records [during Trump's term that are evidence or fruits or otherwise illegally possessed as a part of the 3 crimes you agree we have probable cause for]", which is kosher

Without giving Andrew McCarthy more credit or eyeballs, the case being made is that what was approved is what's known as a "general warrant" and is explicitly barred by the fourth amendment.

quote:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Circling back to the Fishing Expedition conversation from earlier this week, that's what is effectively barred here. Assuming everyone involved is doing their jobs (and, to the same discussion, that's a safer-though-not-assured bet when it's the feds seeking a search warrant from federal judges), "Trump definitely did some illegal things, let us search Mar a Lago for his printouts of texts from Rudy to find out what" fails to adequately describe the crimes for probable cause while "Here's why we believe Trump violated (at least) these three laws, and there's probably a paper or email or something somewhere so it could be at Mar a Lago" fails to give particulars.

Some folks feel (for politicans and rich folks: only when targeted by the system they've built) that search warrants need to specify the exact evidence they seek to find and anything else can't be used in the trial or investigation. If the search warrants specifies emails about using fake back injuries to defraud medicare and the cops can only find voicemails about using fake neck injuries to defraud medicaid, tough luck -- and a warrant for communications regarding fake injuries to defraud the government is insufficiently specific.

First, Kerr gets into the history (and I'm frankensteining the thread together, fair warning):
https://mobile.twitter.com/OrinKerr/status/1558714541575327744
https://mobile.twitter.com/OrinKerr/status/1558714549179559936

Paraphrasing: The courts hold that obviously "proof someone committed some crime" is unacceptably vague, as is "documents related to the commission of some crime". However, courts don't view specificity in a vacuum (in warrants. YMMV in the constitutional analysis of laws and programs, thanks FedSoc).

So McCarthy is generally(:v:) right that "any governent and/or Presidential Records created between January 20, 2017 and January 20, 2021" is nonspecific as hell and would obviously violate the Fourth Amendment if it were the only thing in the warrant. McCarthy, though, is a lying rear end in a top hat paid to give misinformation to the marks who see themselves as too smart for "Biden planted evidence! Russia! Impeachment!".
https://mobile.twitter.com/OrinKerr/status/1558714532989505536
https://mobile.twitter.com/OrinKerr/status/1558714536282038272
https://mobile.twitter.com/OrinKerr/status/1558714552543350784

A brief pause: McCarthy absolutely knows this. McCarthy knows better, but he makes his money by betting his audience doesn't. McCarthy isn't the only one who does this, it's prevalent politician/pundit/podcaster/substacker behavior across the right, center, and left. I'd urge you to pay attention to when folks do this, since "I know better but'll say it anyway because you don't" is terminal. Mistakes happen, the problem is when it isn't a mistake.

To wrap things up, we can see the courts have addressed this very recently. Manafort made the exact same arguments McCarthy is making and that we'll likely hear from Trump lawyers in court if/when this progresses that far:
https://mobile.twitter.com/OrinKerr/status/1558714563079446531
https://mobile.twitter.com/OrinKerr/status/1558714569844961280

A quick note on Kerr: He clerked for Kennedy and was an advisor to Cornyn on Sotomayor and Kagan. The man is not a lefty.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

BiggerBoat posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/14/politics/capitol-car-incident/index.html

Man fatally shoots self after crashing car into barricade near US Capitol Building

So...whatever the gently caress this is about. 4am on a Sunday would certainly be an odd time to stage any sort of attack

Sucks that people can't manically kill themselves anymore without people just instantly assuming they're a trumper

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I think last night’s discussion was hella interesting in that one side of it seemed to have a really cogent argument (if it’s treason and an attempted coup you sure are being casual about it) and the other didn’t seem much inclined to really engage and in fact when hardline posting about posters, which sucked.

I do think the observation that Trump has some amount of mujahideen willing to fight and die for him compared to the fact that at most people will post a hashtag for Nancy Pelosi or Biden is illustrative of a state of definite ideological imbalance! One that cannot be good for Democrats, imo.

I am laughing trying to even imagine a Nancy Pelosi Guerilla Vanguard. Shambolic and indignant, well-funded and completely, almost impossibly ineffective.

I largely agree with the other posters—you have to countenance (at least) throwing a few other players in jail alongside Trump or your just setting up a glorious jailbreak moment ahead of time. Either shut the whole movement down or give them martyrs, and right now it seems like offering martyrdom is a dumb choice for the people opposing them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I hope that trump and his lawyers step on a rake and attack warrant only to have the FBI release video footage of like him taking cell phone pictures of the documents and making posts about them on darknet-eBay

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

That's possible too; that the guy rammed a barricade with the intent of reaching a specific target and maybe tried it at that hour because it'd be less crowded and, in his mind, easier to pull off. Pretty sure it was an Antifa guy financed by Soros though.

Does the FBI or secret service or whomever still just park a bunch of their vehicles around these buildings as barriers gathering parking tickets or did they finally upgrade to a more permanent solution?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm perfectly fine posting Dark Pelosi hashtags while the DOJ helps MAGA cosplay the 300 Spartans in the Battle of Thermopylae fantasy they've been gagging for.

Looks like DOJ screwed up big time and now Trump is totally gonna walk.

I think our boy is actually genuinely scared.
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1558860524837806081?cxt=HHwWgoCx1evYl6IrAAAA
https://twitter.com/BrianKarem/status/1557815865692659714

Saw it mentioned a few times that Maggie Haberman is cashing her chips out, what was this referencing exactly?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 14, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Every time I read about one of these maniacs they almost always seem to have been physically present at January 6th, which suggests to me that despite everything, Trump may have way fewer people willing to die and kill for him than everyone assumed.

Post? Sure. Actually go do something? Meh.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

Don’t forget the ones that post can pretend to be more than they are.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm perfectly fine posting Dark Pelosi hashtags while the DOJ helps MAGA cosplay the 300 Spartans in the Battle of Thermopylae fantasy they've been gagging for.

:dafuq:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Rand Paul put out a statement that he feels that the Espionage Act is an affront to the 1st Amendment and should be done away with. I'm sure this has no relation to any potential current events that may or may not have happened.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mar-a-lagoo-raid-rand-paul-repeal-espionage-act-trump-2022-8

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1558579480171614209?s=20&t=8x4dOdxVJDJP7vhMhRA4pw

The article the tweet links is from 2019 and talks about how the Espionage Act of 1917 was "not to punish people for spying but rather for criticizing the draft and the war. The law converted anyone who publicly criticized the draft or attempted to persuade American men to resist the draft into felons," and seems to have been written in response to the stuff going on with Assange.

The "jailing of dissenters" part of the law wasn't one I had ever heard of, and the article he linked mentioned the same consequences. Now, I'm sure Paul just took the first article he found that gave him a reason to be so against the Espionage Act, but it made me curious about the law itself.

If you were a felon for criticizing the draft or simply speaking out, then that definitely is a blatant violation of the 1st Amendment. However, like most things the GOP vomits up when they suddenly really care for the rule of law or the integrity of the constitution, there are convenient, but very important, facts omitted.

The provision to criminalize dissenting opinions of the draft wasn't part of the original bill (drafted June 1917), but was added on a year later with the Sedition Act of 1918. Here's the important truth that is left out of the article the Senator from Kentucky linked - the Sedition Act was repealed in 1921, making it no longer a criminal offense to speak ill of the draft.

https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment/article/1045/espionage-act-of-1917

quote:

Congress enacted the Espionage Act of 1917 on June 15, two months after the United States entered World War I. Just after the war, prosecutions under the act led to landmark First Amendment precedents.

The Espionage Act of 1917 prohibited obtaining information, recording pictures, or copying descriptions of any information relating to the national defense with intent or reason to believe that the information may be used for the injury of the United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation.

The act also created criminal penalties for anyone obstructing enlistment in the armed forces or causing insubordination or disloyalty in military or naval forces.

In 1917 the socialist Charles T. Schenck was charged with violating the Espionage Act after circulating a flyer opposing the draft. In Schenck v. United States (1919), the Supreme Court upheld the act’s constitutionality. Writing for the majority, Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. held that the danger posed during wartime justified the act’s restriction on First Amendment rights to freedom of speech.

In June 1918, Title 1 of the Espionage Act was expanded to limit speech critical of the war with the passage of the Sedition Act of 1918. This new law led to similar convictions that were ultimately upheld by the Supreme Court in Debs v. United States (1919), Frohwerk v. United States (1919), and Abrams v. United States (1919).

Although Congress repealed the Sedition Act of 1918 in 1921, many portions of the Espionage Act of 1917 are still law.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nessus posted:

Every time I read about one of these maniacs they almost always seem to have been physically present at January 6th, which suggests to me that despite everything, Trump may have way fewer people willing to die and kill for him than everyone assumed.

I'm not sure if any of them are willing to die for Trump, I assume that none of the Jan 6th mob thought they were in any danger because authorities typically give them free reign with only very token restraints.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Saw it mentioned a few times that Maggie Haberman is cashing her chips out, what was this referencing exactly?

Maggie Haberman is the platonic ideal of an Access Journalist, basically a glorified government court stenographer who debases themselves to the ruling party in order to simply be around them and have access to them in order to tell the story. Though in order to maintain that access, they need to tell the story on the ruling party's terms and in accordance with their narrative. Haberman spent 6 years obsequiously crawling behind Trump at his feet and indulging his every batshit whim and nodding along to every blatant lie in order to maintain her precious access to the powerful, in order to be--and I apologize for quoting Hamilton, but she is a very Aaron Burr-type character--in the room where it happened.

Maggie thinks that after the Mar-A-Lago raid, Trump will, at the very least never be president again, and might possibly end up in jail, so she's started treating him like a critical subject for once AND dropping dime on him here and there with all the little secrets she learned of or overheard in the White House while crawling around licking Trump's shoes day in and day out. She thinks she's amassed a figurative fortune from all of her access bets and she is cashing out and leaving the big old Trump roulette table because the game is done.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Maggie Haberman is the platonic ideal of an Access Journalist, basically a glorified government court stenographer who debases themselves to the ruling party in order to simply be around them and have access to them in order to tell the story. Though in order to maintain that access, they need to tell the story on the ruling party's terms and in accordance with their narrative. Haberman spent 6 years obsequiously crawling behind Trump at his feet and indulging his every batshit whim and nodding along to every blatant lie in order to maintain her precious access to the powerful, in order to be--and I apologize for quoting Hamilton, but she is a very Aaron Burr-type character--in the room where it happened.

Maggie thinks that after the Mar-A-Lago raid, Trump will, at the very least never be president again, and might possibly end up in jail, so she's started treating him like a critical subject for once AND dropping dime on him here and there with all the little secrets she learned of or overheard in the White House while crawling around licking Trump's shoes day in and day out. She thinks she's amassed a figurative fortune from all of her access bets and she is cashing out and leaving the big old Trump roulette table because the game is done.

Haberman often made Trump look very bad and even reportedly made Trump real mad several times while he was president (as pretty much everyone did, because he's a giant baby), despite always reporting things through her ineffectual center-left lens where outright lies could not be referred to as such if there was any softened NYT-ism to be used instead.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't care for haberman but you're assigning a much more one-dimensional motivation to her than I think is remotely accurate. She's been willing to basically hang trump out to dry pretty much the entire time insofar as there was anything to actually hang him out to dry on (notably she got a pulitzer for reporting on his connections to Russian agents). Her game seems to have been more about avoiding a few specific things (the word 'lie') and being willing to publish trump's side of the story (or more likely specifically the version one of the trump kids was likely pushing). She's always been pretty anti-Trump and generally openly so, she's just been also willing to give him or his kids the time of day. Her role has been to be the least openly hostile NYT reporter, but she's always been essentially hostile. It's less of a departure from what she normally does and is mostly just the same as she's always done.
She does probably perceive him as less useful going forward than at any other previous point though, yeah.

Certainly something has had almost the entirety of congressional republicans (at least ones not on record as having asked trump for pardons) completely shut up.

It was funny to see them go within 24 hours from 'well it's not like we're talking about nuclear secrets and that kind of thing' to trump tweeting about nuclear secrets and how barack obama took nuclear secrets, too

I would be biting my tongue after that too.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 14, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mendrian posted:

While I think comparisons of atheists to theists as if atheism is itself a religion are loving stupid in general, I think it's safe to say generalizations about the atheist community are about as fair as generalizations about the Christian community. Which is telling, because in theory Christians should be unified by a text while atheists have only their social gravity to deal with but the reality is most churches are also just communities more rooted in tradition and the beliefs of individuals then devotion to a mistranslated ancient text.

Who'dathunk.

atheist's I know aren't really loud about it. Yes, the vocal ones going to conferences are going to suck. they also don't control the narrative drive the social "norms" of what's okay in culture the way Christianity has taken over everything to a horrifying and disgusting degree. Most of the poo poo in the bible is very outdated from a spiritual perspective, and from a theological perspective also dumb. It's fitting one of the silliest religions is one of the most popular. I know plenty of "good" christians, and if you ever get into an actual philosophically conversation with them on anything spiritual based, they're thinking is... limited.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

e: poo poo wrong thread, sorry

(be merciful)

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
edit: nevermind

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 14, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Speaking of conservative access journalists (albeit Costa does deserve more credit than that title implies and in his specific case the access is more of a two-way street)

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1558876833256509444?s=20&t=tOwTqztIO0PglDFn2bcLBA

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I don't care for haberman but you're assigning a much more one-dimensional motivation to her than I think is remotely accurate. She's been willing to basically hang trump out to dry pretty much the entire time insofar as there was anything to actually hang him out to dry on (notably she got a pulitzer for reporting on his connections to Russian agents). Her game seems to have been more about avoiding a few specific things (the word 'lie') and being willing to publish trump's side of the story (or more likely specifically the version one of the trump kids was likely pushing). She's always been pretty anti-Trump and generally openly so, she's just been also willing to give him or his kids the time of day. Her role has been to be the least openly hostile NYT reporter, but she's always been essentially hostile. It's less of a departure from what she normally does and is mostly just the same as she's always done.
She does probably perceive him as less useful going forward than at any other previous point though, yeah.

Certainly something has had almost the entirety of congressional republicans (at least ones not on record as having asked trump for pardons) completely shut up.

It was funny to see them go within 24 hours from 'well it's not like we're talking about nuclear secrets and that kind of thing' to trump tweeting about nuclear secrets and how barack obama took nuclear secrets, too

I would be biting my tongue after that too.

Give them a couple of days to straighten out the talking points and figure out an angle to where

- He didn't do it
- It's all planted
- This is no big deal even if he did do it
- Obama, Hillary, Soros, Hunter Biden
- Hey, how about this inflation!
- BLM, Antifa, witch hunt
- It wasn't classified
- It was actually a GOOD thing Trump did! To keep these secrets safe until we get to the bottom of the voter fraud!

There's really no bottom to the levels of rationalization and obfuscation they're capable of and I'm personally predicting that last one on my list to start making the rounds within the week. At least on talk radio and poo poo.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

With Trump demanding the documents back we're at the final stage of the narcissist's prayer.

That didn't happen.
And if it did, it wasn't that bad.
And if it was, that's not a big deal.
And if it is, that's not my fault.
And if it was, I didn't mean it.
And if I did, you deserved it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Give them a couple of days to straighten out the talking points and figure out an angle to where

- He didn't do it
- It's all planted
- This is no big deal even if he did do it
- Obama, Hillary, Soros, Hunter Biden
- Hey, how about this inflation!
- BLM, Antifa, witch hunt
- It wasn't classified
- It was actually a GOOD thing Trump did! To keep these secrets safe until we get to the bottom of the voter fraud!

There's really no bottom to the levels of rationalization and obfuscation they're capable of and I'm personally predicting that last one on my list to start making the rounds within the week. At least on talk radio and poo poo.

they've already cycled through all of these already except maybe the last one, but I'd argue the 'trump was just taking documents home so he could keep working on them in the evening' counts as 'it was actually a good thing!'

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

they've already cycled through all of these already except maybe the last one, but I'd argue the 'trump was just taking documents home so he could keep working on them in the evening' counts as 'it was actually a good thing!'

Yeah, Trump was working so hard he took his documents home with him, even when he wasn't president and burning the candle at both ends in between rounds of golf! What a patriot! Unlike Sleepy Joe Biden, Trump has a non stop work ethic and loves America so much, he was doing it off the clock. Working behind the scenes to bring peace to the middle east and solve the war in Ukraine until such time that he's re-elected because all these nuclear secrets were just too important to trust to the democrats!

USA! USA!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
people are sleeping on the possibility that trump just preferred wiping his rear end with top secret toilet paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Rand Paul is already crusading on abolishing the Espionage Act to save Trump's greasy rear end.

Maybe if 45 gets credibly threatened with jail at some point (he won't), the GOP as a whole will turn overnight into prison abolitionists.