Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So funny HBO caved so hard to every single one of Benioff's demands cause they thought the man was a once in a generation genius autuer, they practically told GRRM to gently caress off cause they had so much confidence in Benioff. Just lol. Not that GRRM shouldn't gently caress off but lol Benioff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

RE: Vince Gilligan (Braking Bad/Better Caul Saul showrunner). Apparently he has a new show he's shopping around and it looks like there's going to be a bidding war by the networks to acquire it. If B&B hadn't got bored and stuck around enough to manage an even halfway credible landing, they probably would have been able to write their own ticket after what would still be regarded as a smash hit.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 13, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Let’s not rewrite history like HBO and GRRM and most GoT fans. Just take a look at the IMDB individual episode review scores if you need a reminder. While there were some, including myself, who recognized that the show was seriously foundering in Season 5 followed by a Season 6 that proved that the plot was complete lost the vast majority of people were in love with the series going into Season 8. The watch parties were still huge, the ratings were skyrocketing, the hype was everywhere. It wasn’t until the absolute slap in the face of The Long Night episode where the cold dose of reality that the show sucked finally hit not just annoying nerds like us.

S5-7 were basically lovely with a few good moments here and there (Hold the door being prob the best) S8 is when they couldn't even do that anymore

The feeling I got was that by S8 D&D were just tired of the whole thing and already made their money, so they were just putting minimal effort at creating a conclusion by that point cuz they just want to get it over with

E: I watched some scenes from earlier season on YT, man I miss when the show was just straight up re-enacting book scenes lol

Typo fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 14, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So funny HBO caved so hard to every single one of Benioff's demands cause they thought the man was a once in a generation genius autuer, they practically told GRRM to gently caress off cause they had so much confidence in Benioff. Just lol. Not that GRRM shouldn't gently caress off but lol Benioff.

David Benioff (and Dan Weiss, for that matter), is one of those few people towards whom I don't wish anything ill, but I also actively don't wish anything good for either. I wish he has a thoroughly neutral, utterly mediocre rest of his life.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Will HBO be fine with a Better Call Saul situation where the show is critically acclaimed and popular but it’s objective metrics like ratings are significantly lower than the original show? Because with the way things are going on with WB/Discovery leadership I strongly suspect they wouldn’t be.

Considering they dumped Raised by Wolves after 2 seasons im gonna say no.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

nine-gear crow posted:

David Benioff (and Dan Weiss, for that matter), is one of those few people towards whom I don't wish anything ill, but I also actively don't wish anything good for either. I wish he has a thoroughly neutral, utterly mediocre rest of his life.

I wish they'd gotten the Star Wars directorship they were expecting. Star Wars fans deserve them.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Modern Star Wars introduced me to the idea of spite-enjoying something. I will sit here and find enjoyment in the JJ movies, the prequels, Solo, Rogue One, etc. because I am loving sick of sheltered dorks insisting that the original trilogy is actually totally incredibly haute cinema and that every new project must stand up to those movies. Otherwise, we have to spend years or decades flooding the internet with hatred of every one of these projects.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How can D&D satisfactorily resolve a plot in a mega huge multi continent tv production when GRRM can’t do it despite only being constrained by his own mind?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I'm getting the impression that George has finally got somebody typing for him or something. I never believed his fake updates about vague progress over the past decade, but the fact that he's being more specific now and he's mentioning his minions sometimes even by name that he's finally gotten real about his abilities and time. He sounded really hosed up when that Podcaster pressed him about his legacy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pennsylvanian posted:

Modern Star Wars introduced me to the idea of spite-enjoying something. I will sit here and find enjoyment in the JJ movies, the prequels, Solo, Rogue One, etc. because I am loving sick of sheltered dorks insisting that the original trilogy is actually totally incredibly haute cinema and that every new project must stand up to those movies. Otherwise, we have to spend years or decades flooding the internet with hatred of every one of these projects.

Empire Strikes Back was a big deal for the whole “yes this is the ending the good guys just got their poo poo wrecked” setup if nothing else. Because that wasn’t something people normally encountered in movies.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Oh, A New Hope is a very well told, cohesive story and went a long way to making sci-fi accessible to a wider audience. And Empire took a chance that fun blockbusters rarely took and it worked really well. I'm just more tired of the turbonerds who can't just have fun with their fun movies despite some perfectly apt criticisms you could leverage against them.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Typo posted:

The feeling I got was that by S8 D&D were just tired of the whole thing and already made their money, so they were just putting minimal effort at creating a conclusion by that point cuz they just want to get it over with

Why not hand it off to other, more motivated showrunners then? They would have been able to leave with the cache of 5/6 seasons of one of the most successful tv shows ever made.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
man, the "you win or you die" scene where it's just 2 characters talking to each other is better than all those $$$ millions worth of CGI in the later seasons put together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucB4UrhI-3w

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

nine-gear crow posted:

tbf to D&D they did a pretty good job at adapting Book 1-3, which were -not- easily adaptable material either, parts of it that they created themselves (like the Arya/Tywin scenes) were -better- than what was in the books (Arya/Roose bolton)

apparantly multiple production companies/people approached GRRM about filming the series before but they wanted to just focus on 1 part of it, i.e they wanted the whole thing to be about Jon Snow. It's easy to see why because trying to make a TV/movie adapation of 3-4 branching plotlines each of which is pretty convoluted on its own isn't easy.

GRRM basically said "unless" you follow all the plotlines I don't want you doing it, D&D were the first people who were willing to do what GRRM wanted.

Typo fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 14, 2022

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Typo posted:

tbf to D&D they did a pretty good job at adapting Book 1-3, which were -not- easily adaptable material either, parts of it that they created themselves (like the Arya/Tywin scenes) were -better- than what was in the books (Arya/Roose bolton)

apparantly multiple production companies/people approached GRRM about filming the series before but they wanted to just focus on 1 part of it, i.e they wanted the whole thing to be about Jon Snow. It's easy to see why because trying to make a TV/movie adapation of 3-4 branching plotlines each of which is pretty convoluted on its own isn't easy.

GRRM basically said "unless" you follow all the plotlines I don't want you doing it, D&D were the first people who were willing to do what GRRM wanted.

lol maybe it's a good thing grrm never finished the books then, because there was no way D&D were gonna be able to keep up with the 50,000 new perspective characters grrm added in Feast and Dance

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

George's interviews where he talks about selling shows are kind of interesting as I rarely hear industry people give as many details as he does.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The first few seasons were drat good to the point where there's several made-for-the-show scenes that I wish would have been in the books, as opposed to all of the made for TV scenes in the later seasons that were terrible.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Play with her arse

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RCarr posted:

Play with her arse

Season 1-3 we’re good with a few pretty bad scenes. For me the shift starts at season 4 with but it was still mostly good. From 5 onwards it definitely shifted for “mostly bad” and than “total crap” and I kept on just because at that point I had finally realized that the books would never finish and I just wanted to know how it ends

I still regard season 1 as the best season of any fantasy show I’ve ever seen

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Which is bigger? One or Five?

Five.

Five? ONE.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Which is bigger? One or Five?

Five.

Five? ONE.

Had he lived long enough, Robert would have absolutely stomped Dany's invasion flat into the dirt. The man was a warrior without any more wars to fight, and he died in the prelude to the greatest war Westeros ever faced.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Arc Hammer posted:

The first few seasons were drat good to the point where there's several made-for-the-show scenes that I wish would have been in the books, as opposed to all of the made for TV scenes in the later seasons that were terrible.

Was that scene in S1 with Jory and Jaime talking outside of Robert's chambers in the books, or a made for TV addition? Either way it is always one of my favorites, packs in so much of the history, politics, and character dynamics without being too expository. You get the sense that the characters are actually reacting rather than just moving along a set trajectory. If Jory had chosen slightly different phrasing at the end there Jaime might've let him deliver that letter, which would've upended all the plots.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

For me the red flags showed up when the Legend of Gin Alley and that entire show only plot of Jon heading to take care of the people at Craster's Keep happened. I remember thinking it didn't bode well for when the show had to delve deeper into uncharted / unwritten waters, vs building off of things that were there.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Max posted:

For me the red flags showed up when the Legend of Gin Alley and that entire show only plot of Jon heading to take care of the people at Craster's Keep happened. I remember thinking it didn't bode well for when the show had to delve deeper into uncharted / unwritten waters, vs building off of things that were there.

Same. Also that incredibly dumb Theon rescue attempt with shirtless Ramsay and the dogs

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Elias_Maluco posted:

Same. Also that incredibly dumb Theon rescue attempt with shirtless Ramsay and the dogs

Yeah that was especially bad since they had built up that rescue to rather epic proportions at the end of the previous season. I think that's literally all you see of Yara that season.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All you need is ten good men.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Pennsylvanian posted:

I'm getting the impression that George has finally got somebody typing for him or something. I never believed his fake updates about vague progress over the past decade, but the fact that he's being more specific now and he's mentioning his minions sometimes even by name that he's finally gotten real about his abilities and time. He sounded really hosed up when that Podcaster pressed him about his legacy.

I mean that’s certainly one possibility. The other is that he’s currently doing the full press junket for the new show and is just drumming up as much bullishit hype as possible. You decide which is more likely.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The only good original material crafted by the D&D crew was the filler scenes they were forced to write for S1 due to the runtime running short, those scenes just provide some charecterization and 'fill the gap' on some bits which the books couldn't show cause of POV reasons. In retrospect all alterations as early as season 2 are all pretty crappy and already hint at the fact that D&D couldn't really write an epic story.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I agree with whoever said the Arya and Tywin scenes were good, because they really were.

Help me recall: were the Bronn and Jaime scenes in the books? I know most of them weren’t but I can’t remember if any of that was in the book. I liked pretty much all those scenes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bronn and Jaime never interacted really in the books. His fencing partner was Ilyn Payne because he was a mute so he couldn't divulge their private training sessions.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is Ilyn Payne illiterate? Pod seems to be able to read and write arent they related?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
You're not going to carelessly let something slip while you're drunk if you have to write it down, Jaime has a thought specifically along those lines IIRC.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Was the scene were the prostitutes pay Podrick for being the best at sex from the books or was it a show thing because I can't recall and honestly I could see it being either way

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I also think that Payne is indeed illiterate, he's basically described as a husk of a person, his room has nothing in it except for a bed and a whetstone, beating Jaime and clucking at him is basically the first time in the books he shows a personality and a capacity for joy.

And Podrick's relation to Ilyn is very tenuous, he is described as a distant cousin.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Was the scene were the prostitutes pay Podrick for being the best at sex from the books or was it a show thing because I can't recall and honestly I could see it being either way

Podrick is like 11 in the books, that garbage scene is pure show nonsense.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

big dick podrick is a hero of the common man

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

No way he'd become a kingsgaurd if he slayed pussy that hard.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I agree with whoever said the Arya and Tywin scenes were good, because they really were.

Help me recall: were the Bronn and Jaime scenes in the books? I know most of them weren’t but I can’t remember if any of that was in the book. I liked pretty much all those scenes.

Bronn and Jaime never interacted in the books. At some point, Bronn runs off with Lollys Stokeworth and doesn't come back. He gets into a duel with a Stokeworth guy and kills him. He also names his half-son Tyrion and it pisses Cersei off.

The Arya and Tywin scenes were entertaining and captivating, but something in me says that they should have gone with Roose. I remember a lot of people didn't really understand why Roose was so important vis a vis the Red Wedding and having him at Harrenhal could have set him up better. Also, there's that bizarre scene where Tywin realizes he has a highborn Northern girl as his cupbearer and he just abandons her to The Mountain. Still really great scenes, though and I rewatch them on YouTube once in a while.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Definitely show only. I've been reading a lot of fantasy lately, and there's a pretty common trope scene where a man is so good at sex or is so impressive to a sex worker that they give the money back or offer themself for free. Even Brandon Sanderson has such a scene in one of the Stormlight books.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean that’s certainly one possibility. The other is that he’s currently doing the full press junket for the new show and is just drumming up as much bullishit hype as possible. You decide which is more likely.

Oh, I don't fully believe him, but for the first time in ten years, my eyes aren't instinctively rolling. He mentions one of his assistants, Sid, by name a lot and she's apparently there to tell all of the grifters trying to get George to sign onto their projects to gently caress off.

I think there are about a dozen really strong reasons as to why George didn't really start writing until Covid, but the thought in the back of my head during the whole ordeal was that he was sure he could write two 2k-page epics on emulated Wordstar with one finger in his 60s-70s which is psychotic.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 15, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

chaosapiant posted:

no the books instead of Bronn it was ser Ilyn Payne, the Dornish storyline played out completely differently and Jaime never goes to Dorne

the whole reason why Jaime kept payne around was so he had someone to train with who was mute and illiterate so he couldn't go around telling everyone that Jaime can't fight anymore

substituting in Bronn made no sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Always seemed insane that Roose never had any suspicions. Like sure everyone thinks Arya is locked up but a Northern girl with a noble accent and gray eyes? You'd think he'd ask at least one question