Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jack B Nimble posted:

Right, exactly, they just exist in very different lanes to me.

I don't really disagree, I just love watching my favourite dunmer and also one cat fella leap across the landscape. The gameplay is very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I suppose I should mention that Kenshi's similarities for me are mostly in terms of finally rekindling that feeling of exploring a big, open, and alien world. I love Kenshi to death but it's a game I'd recommend to almost no one. I don't think I'd even disagree with "Kenshi isn't even a good game", it's just a very interesting one if you're the very particular kind of person it was made for. It's somehow one of my favorite games, but also very few people should actually play it.

All my friends were asking about it when they saw me playing it on steam all the time and then that Seth video came out, and I told all of them "don't buy it, I think you'll hate it." I know like 5 people who got it and only one played more than a few hours.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

thinkin bout those TR updates..,

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of TR, does anyone know what object or objects cause the massive slowdown in the circle around the castle in Old Ebonheart? The engine can handle most of the town (if I switch off Distant Land while I'm there and keep real-time shadows off), but there's something up with that one small area. Is there something I can delete in the construction set to fix it? I never see anyone else mentioning it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Speaking of TR, does anyone know what object or objects cause the massive slowdown in the circle around the castle in Old Ebonheart? The engine can handle most of the town (if I switch off Distant Land while I'm there and keep real-time shadows off), but there's something up with that one small area. Is there something I can delete in the construction set to fix it? I never see anyone else mentioning it.

The specific cause is the number of statics in the cell. The town just causes too many render events for the pipeline of a single threaded application to keep up with.

Turning down shaders and texture details and things saves very little time because you're not limited by your gpu to begin with.

Presumably some cleverness with batching might let the openmw team fix it, but the original engine is just hosed.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ikanreed posted:

The specific cause is the number of statics in the cell. The town just causes too many render events for the pipeline of a single threaded application to keep up with.

Turning down shaders and texture details and things saves very little time because you're not limited by your gpu to begin with.

Presumably some cleverness with batching might let the openmw team fix it, but the original engine is just hosed.

you can dynamically lower draw distance with lua

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ikanreed posted:

I don't just mean in the cell. There is a circular area near the castle at the western end where the framerate drops from 20-some FPS to 4 or 5 FPS. It's the clearing with the giant serpent statue. I've tried disabling that and it does nothing, and before I open the Construction Set I want to confirm if that's the cause or if it's something else.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FlocksOfMice posted:

Can you unironically name a game that has what 20 years of modded Morrowind has that isn't like, Kenshi?

Caves of Qud?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

Caves of Qud?

poo poo forgot about that, that's also in my top5. It still is a lot more objective and combat focused than emergent narrative/playing dollhouse focused, but Hearthpyre does go a long way towards letting me play dolls.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So here's something I didn't expect: after finally really digging into and finishing Baldurs Gate 1 ... It's quite a bit more similar to Morrowind than I'd have thought. Obviously not in its control scheme or basic mechanics, but in it's exploration, loose structure, and free form.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Or in being good

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Jack B Nimble posted:

So here's something I didn't expect: after finally really digging into and finishing Baldurs Gate 1 ... It's quite a bit more similar to Morrowind than I'd have thought. Obviously not in its control scheme or basic mechanics, but in it's exploration, loose structure, and free form.

And sarevok is building a giant mechanical God deep under a volcano.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My point would be that, especially compared to later Bioware games I was more familiar with like KotoR and Dragon Age. Those tend to be highly linear, and you tend to visit and complete areas in distinct chunks and rarely return.

But in BG1, like Morrowind, the game world is a lot more of "here are the major towns, and some settlements, you'll be coming back to these a lot, and here are varying degrees of dangerous wilderness you can explore at your own pleasure or peril, and lots of side quests you can attempt whenever you want but you won't really be ready but hey maybe you're clever, and also the main quest is more something that will be woven into this larger world"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ikanreed posted:

And sarevok is building a giant mechanical God deep under a volcano.

i mean have you seen the original ending video for bg1

it's more likely than you think

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I was thinking of where you go to finish it and I wasn't quite sure if they were agreeing or not.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you've forgotten:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kxKZwzhzOA

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Hi Morrowind Thread,

Just wanted to let you all know that I will be speedrunning Morrowind All Main Quests for GDQ's One-And-Done-A-Thon this Saturday at 3pm eastern on GDQ's channel.
https://twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

The idea behind the marathon is that it's a series. Each runner only gets to do one speedrun in the OADAT series and can't submit another run to future OADAT marathons. So it's important to chose our one run carefully. I'll be talking for a bit about why I chose it before the run starts.

Rest of the schedule is here: https://horaro.org/oadat/oadat2

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Musical_Daredevil posted:

I'll be talking for a bit about why I chose it before the run starts.

so that no one else can take that honor? lol

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

mbt posted:

so that no one else can take that honor? lol

My commentators shall only speak at the approved times!

There's been some discussion about whether to ban the whole game or just the category. The organizer is leaning towards category for now, but we'll see what happens.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Any recommendations for thieving or stealth mods? Things to make a thief character work without relying on chameleon or telekinesis spells (been there, done that on the latter). If the answer is "don't," well, I understand. I'm trying to make it somewhat of a self-imposed challenge but not completely masochistic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Any recommendations for thieving or stealth mods? Things to make a thief character work without relying on chameleon or telekinesis spells (been there, done that on the latter). If the answer is "don't," well, I understand. I'm trying to make it somewhat of a self-imposed challenge but not completely masochistic.

I still used chameleon, but I think the MCP or something else had an option to set the max you can have is 85%, makes it so stealth isn't just a race to 100% chameleon then never thinking of it again.

Edit: I realized I think that's a mod for Oblivion

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My last playthrough I was a stealthy guy only regretting it when I made it to frostmoth and the scaled enemies were just damage sponges

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Didn't the same person that made Ash Fall make a truly excellent stealth overhaul mod? I'd swear they mentioned it a few times but I always have some trouble finding it when I go look on Nexus Mods? I hadn't installed it right when I heard them mention it because I was mid-playthrough I mentally ear marked it for the future...

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

There's been quite a few stealth-related mods released in the past few years.

Stealth Improved, Pickpocket, and Distraction are essential. The stealthy playstyle no longer needs to be a random pain in the rear end.
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49614
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49680
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/47581

Other mods that help out individual stealth mechanics like traps, backstabs, and archery. I enjoyed them but they're less essential.
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48528
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46715
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46752
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49086
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48251
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48317
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45890

Finally, Mantle is really cool and lets you rely more on acrobatics instead of having to fall back on levitation and jump spells.
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49870

My last playthrough I used all the above mods with a stealthy character and it was a lot of fun.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Thanks for the recommendations. I really want to try a stealth character since that would get me out of my comfort zone in Morrowind, but it looks like I'll also have to get comfortable with using the vanilla game (I've stuck to OpenMW so far).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Didn't the same person that made Ash Fall make a truly excellent stealth overhaul mod? I'd swear they mentioned it a few times but I always have some trouble finding it when I go look on Nexus Mods? I hadn't installed it right when I heard them mention it because I was mid-playthrough I mentally ear marked it for the future...

unfortunately i did not make ashfall

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Anyone have any Morrowind themed wallpapers, preferably minimalist, in 4k? There are some great ones on google, but they're a little busy.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

here you go op

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
All this Kenshi talk made me think of this.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Everything about this reads as “huge ambitious mod project run by an over-enthusiastic amateur modder and it’ll never see the light of day.” And they’re already taking donations.

On the flip side, that same exuberance is what gets us poo poo like Tamriel Rebuilt, and modders have to start somewhere. So I wish them the best of luck.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Modders taking donations always sits a bit uneasily with me but I don't think I can really justify that beyond "we didn't do that in my day"

VVV yeah I think that's a good balance, and to he fair, anyone who happily opens their wallet for some guy's page saying "I am going to make Morrowland 2 and it will be twice the size of Daggerfall and will have a VR plugin for the House of Earthly Delights that sucks you off in real immersive action" probably deserves to lose their money

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 18, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't mind if it's already demonstrably already a success and requires ongoing support.

I've been a Patreon supporter of the guy that makes Wild Lander before because I love that overhaul, it's already out, and he works to improves it over time.

But paying to help you try? No. No offense, but you're probably gonna fail.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

to be a little fair to the guy they already apparently have poo poo like a ton of assets converted, the morrowind height map imported in to change the island shape (not the biomes though, I'm not even 100% sure it's possible to do a complete biome rewrite like he'd need to), all of the factions removed and ready for a complete rebuild, etc.

But also, to be fair, that's all of the easy poo poo that we know how to do. the OGRE engine and the kenshi FCS is a wild, insane beast and there's a lot of poo poo he needs to do that we just straight up don't know how to do yet. There's been very little success with importing new building collision boxes with working navmeshes, for example. You've got the aforementioned biomes problem. Swapping out music is likely going to be impossible as a lot of it is hard-coded into the game. And when he eventually does get into factions he's going to discover that the faction/dialogue/squad/town system is an interconnected hellmaze that touches every other part of the game in some small way and each part interacts with another part in subtle and confusing ways and he's going to swallow a folded up frisbee.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Owns.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Perfection

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

first look at tr narsis

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Hot drat, I'm going to get so lost in there, I can't wait

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
How many big cities does TR plan to make, holy cow. It looks great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I hope OpenMW becomes compatible with the Code Patch and MWSE soon. I want to use it but those are too essential to my preferred experience.