Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
No ceremony in er doesn't count. An engagement at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Finished up the last main case in Dual Destinies, still gotta do the dlc case though. Turnabout for Tomorrow spoilers ahead.

I could not take Fulbright being the villain seriously at all, which I guess was the whole point of his charade but just, idk, it didn't sit right with me. Felt kinda contrived and arbitrary.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You can't randomly corpses wildly in elden ring. In that it is beaten by both skyrim and dark souls

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Getting married sounds lame so Elden Ring has the upper hand here imo.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

cheetah7071 posted:

You can't randomly corpses wildly in elden ring. In that it is beaten by both skyrim and dark souls

That is true. You can't randomly corpses in ER

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i will never proofread a phonepost

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

to think that a master of 3d picross and all the picross e games could be defeated by a mere 15x15 puzzle...

Can any of the games chat picross masters figure out the next logical step?!! I had to look up the completed puzzle

I went through this writing up a whole bunch of poo poo on what to do next and then I got to a point where even that didn't work.

My initial thought was to go try any square that has 2 finished sides, so the corners. By filling in those spots based on the assumption that those spots are correct, you can eventually hit a point where you have a contradiction. Then you can go back to that starting square and x it out.

I was able to do this enough that I was able to mark down a lot of different squares and fill in a lot more but then I just kept hitting points in every possible area that gave impossible answers.

I figured I must have done it wrong, just messed up somewhere, so I went to a couple different picross solvers, punched in the data, and wouldn't you know it, even they couldn't solve it. They both spat out an unfinished picross that stopped at the exact same point you did. I got farther than the bots did but I had to have messed up somewhere because I couldn't get the actual answer down. Maybe if you could try that method yourself, filling in from assumptions at 2-walled panels, you might have better luck.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

All you had to do was follow the drat tree CJ

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cheetah7071 posted:

You can marry in skyrim but not in elden ring

I got married in Elden Ring

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Electric Phantasm posted:

Getting married sounds lame so Elden Ring has the upper hand here imo.

It owns actually

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Atelier is one of the greatest series in gaming.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1558834589837271040

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halo 2

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the events of Gaylo 2: I Love BJs do not take place within the actual game

at least, not on camera

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I had no idea P3 and P4 released so close together. How are we still on P5 15 years later (other than the obvious reasons)?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hades

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Harrow posted:

I really like FFXIV but if it hasn't full-on grabbed you by Heavensward it's pretty safe to tap out, assuming you were interested enough to get to Heavensward in the first place. I saw another poster say that they didn't really care about the Scions or other allied NPCs as characters until Shadowbringers and I can definitely say I mostly agree with that (with minor exceptions, Alphinaud, Estinien, and Ysale make strong impressions in Heavensward IMO) but I was still invested in the general plot enough that I wanted to keep going

Yeah, FF14's main issue is shaky pacing up until HW, but but it largely rights itself by that point and if you get even halfway into HW and you're still not feeling it, then the game and it's storytelling just isn't for you and you're probably not going to enjoy later parts. While the writing does still largely improve over time (with a bit of a dip in Stormblood specifically because they got overambitious with how many stories they were trying to tell at the same time while also doing a bunch of worldbuilding. Still some gems during it though), I think if you're not at least moderately engaged by HW, it's a fundamental disagreement with the storytelling methods and possibly the stories that the game is trying to tell.

Strictly out of curiosity and in now way a judgement call, for those folks who are/were really not feeling the FF14 story, what video game stories have you enjoyed in the past?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

stev posted:

I had no idea P3 and P4 released so close together. How are we still on P5 15 years later (other than the obvious reasons)?

It was easier to pump out games at the PS2s level of fidelity, better graphics were a mistake

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Do Persona and Persona 2 still hold up out of curiosity? It feels like P3 was the point where the series really became what it is today

Also does P5 have any story connection (however minor) to its predecessors? I’ve only seen the anime version which just provided the bare story essentials

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Persona and Persona 2 are pretty different games, yeah. I think Persona 1 shows a bit of its age, but a lot of people still swear by the Persona 2 duology. All three got PSP remakes which are probably the best way to play them (And the Eternal Punishment remake just got an English translation patch)

Persona 3 and 4 have very light connections to the first two but they're basically vestigial by 5.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Plot-wise they've held up at least as well if not even better, your mileage may vary on the gameplay (especially for Persona 1).

As for story connections, not really. There's references to past games and their characters squirreled away (just like in P3 and P4, actually), frequently on TV (such as, say, (P4 spoiler)Adachi being interviewed about the killings), but they don't particularly factor into the actual plot.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

God of War

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

You can marry in skyrim but not in elden ring

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

stev posted:

atlus took the entire ps3 generation to make a new engine. we got smtv last year and soul hackers 2 this year tho cos they finally moved to ue4 instead.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Walla posted:

That is some bullshit. I'm not sure a logical next step even exists, but I can't find it. It looks like you have to map out every possible combination of blocks to find the answer.

Lord Bob posted:

You can X out the bottom right corner, which would get you.. slightly forward. And the one above that - bottom right and bottom right up1.

Sometimes when you hit these you have to start using the corners as anchor points, place a whole block there and see if anything is impossible - in this case if the bottom right was 4up, then bottom-right 1left column would end up conflicting with the third row from the bottom (the 4up would place a block at the far side of row -3, but would also force a 3up from the column to the left, which would mean that row-3 would end in a 2, but that row demands ending in a 1)

similarly, you can fill in an x in the bottom left (after the 3), because if that one was filled, so would the one next to it, and both would go up to the next row which would then have a 2 where only a 1 is allowed

FirstAidKite posted:

I went through this writing up a whole bunch of poo poo on what to do next and then I got to a point where even that didn't work.

My initial thought was to go try any square that has 2 finished sides, so the corners. By filling in those spots based on the assumption that those spots are correct, you can eventually hit a point where you have a contradiction. Then you can go back to that starting square and x it out.

I was able to do this enough that I was able to mark down a lot of different squares and fill in a lot more but then I just kept hitting points in every possible area that gave impossible answers.

I figured I must have done it wrong, just messed up somewhere, so I went to a couple different picross solvers, punched in the data, and wouldn't you know it, even they couldn't solve it. They both spat out an unfinished picross that stopped at the exact same point you did. I got farther than the bots did but I had to have messed up somewhere because I couldn't get the actual answer down. Maybe if you could try that method yourself, filling in from assumptions at 2-walled panels, you might have better luck.

Thank you for the Picross tips

I wonder if that kind of advanced stuff was intended since it's the final set of secret puzzles or if it was just an oversight. There are some other later puzzles where I had gotten lazy and made guesses but this is the first one I'd seen which seemed actually unsolvable with the regular logic

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

stev posted:

One thing researching my YOTG post taught me is that we used to crank games out

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Jay Rust posted:

My major problem that I bring up a lot is that it’s the gameplay that bums me out, it’s 90% travelling between quest markers / cutscenes, it’s bad video gaming. I like the story, I want to know what happens next, the “the story gets better after XXX” arguments don’t affect me because I’m already enjoying it, but each time I step back and look at what I’m doing, yeah it’s uninteresting busywork and I doubt that gets much better

However, my favourite moment so far, the new cape westwind fight, did successfully meld gameplay and story in a really satisfying way, I felt what my character felt, and because of its newness I do have hopes that the more recent stuff is about as good

be careful following this line of thought because you'll end up realizing how many games are uninteresting chores buoyed by narrative or presentation and then you end up down a hole only playing decade old doom wads and untranslated shmups

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Continuing NEO: TWEWY and got to Day 3 of Week 2. Still liking it a lot!

I love how Fret and Beat immediately bond over being dumb as gently caress. Dudes rock.

One little thing I think is cool is connections page and seeing how the different characters relate to each other. Getting perks from them is also a nice bonus, but it seems silly to have stuff like the difficulty sliders and auto-sell locked behind them as well.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 14, 2022

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Larryb posted:

Do Persona and Persona 2 still hold up out of curiosity? It feels like P3 was the point where the series really became what it is today

Also does P5 have any story connection (however minor) to its predecessors? I’ve only seen the anime version which just provided the bare story essentials

The biggest obstacle to playing 1 and 2 for me was the old school first person dungeons. Some people apparently enjoy that sort of thing, but not me

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

2 doesn't have first person dungeons

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
First person dungeons are very cool imho, first person battles are even better

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Did the first two games ever get rereleased for modern consoles or are the PSP versions the most recent editions?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

PSP is it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

wuggles posted:

One thing researching my YOTG post taught me is that we used to crank games out

we should cancel hd and go back to that

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Boba Pearl posted:

Atelier is one of the greatest series in gaming.

Congratulations to Cheetah on the new convert

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Thank you for the Picross tips

I wonder if that kind of advanced stuff was intended since it's the final set of secret puzzles or if it was just an oversight. There are some other later puzzles where I had gotten lazy and made guesses but this is the first one I'd seen which seemed actually unsolvable with the regular logic

It honestly probably was.

Its a problem with the Dungeons and Diagrams in Last Call BBS where the rules don't give you enough info to authentically solve them and you sort of have to intuit what the final shape would roughly look like, start building it, and then move around the final details

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If you do decide to try out persona 1, 2, and 2, I also recommend giving Shin Megami Tensei IF a look because that game is a sort of proto-Persona.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

and IF i don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

FirstAidKite posted:

If you do decide to try out persona 1, 2, and 2, I also recommend giving Shin Megami Tensei IF a look because that game is a sort of proto-Persona.

It's closer to the old SMTs than it is to Persona, though. There's barely any character to anyone, and minimal dialog iirc.