Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Please watch the classic 1935 musical comedy film Top Hat starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Do you know who Tom Hanks is? Dustin Hoffman? Robert Redford? Clint Eastwood? Jack Nicholson? Harrison Ford?

Like what's the cutoff for your unawareness?

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 22:44 on Aug 14, 2022

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Real hurthling! posted:

overdrawn at the memory bank on mst3k is pretty much a film history class combining all of the best movie plots with some archival wildlife footage to pad the time. you got casablanca, total recall, the matrix, 1984, my nuts, its a tour du force. a raulbix cube of zeitgeist

I'll add it to my SMART goals; thank you! I watched mean girls (it was great), and i want to spend more time enjoying movies and stuff like movies. i also really like mst3k

is pepsi ok posted:

I got a film minor which wasn't useful for anything but it made me watch a lot of cool old movies. My old movie take is that everyone should watch M because Peter Lorre's performance is one of the best ever. Everyone knows about Metropolis and you should watch that too, but watch M.

also adding but it's pretty low priority now. what makes it so good? (this is not a sarcastic question)

i don't know jack poo poo about what's famous or popular or anything. i know about 1. behaviorism and 2. being nice. everything else is way outside of my wheelhouse

lol to both

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Please watch the classic 1935 musical comedy film Top Hat starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.

added

mastershakeman posted:

Do you know who Tom Hanks is? Dustin Hoffman? Robert Redford? Clint Eastwood? Jack Nicholson? Harrison Ford?

Like what's the cutoff for your unawareness?

i'm definitely aware of them and could probably name one or two movies except dustin hoffman and Robert Redford

and i'm not sure. it's hard to estimate

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ok, so you're totally unaware of everything in the code era. That's interesting

Hell, do you know who Jimmy Stewart is? I just can't imagine someone drawing a blank on Humphrey bogart

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

Ok, so you're totally unaware of everything in the code era. That's interesting

Hell, do you know who Jimmy Stewart is? I just can't imagine someone drawing a blank on Humphrey bogart

I also don't know them :( I've heard the names but could not point to them in a lineup

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ok this is what needs to happen to you

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

mastershakeman posted:

Some good movies for dudes to watch like this are Fight Club, The Matrix, and Boondock Saints

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Some good movies for dudes to watch like this are Fight Club, The Matrix, and Boondock Saints

Donnie Darko

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

NeatHeteroDude posted:

this is going to sound very dumb but i, uh, don't know anything about movies from before like 2008. my friends tell me it's freak poo poo too, but i just genuinely haven't seen any of them. I know there are some really good ones, but it's a big blank space in my brain

Start with con air (it's only downhill from here) then watch face/off, terminator 2, total recall (not the remake) , aliens, all 3 blades

That's.. Pretty much you up to speed on the good movies

God speed bro

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I dunno who this humphret bogart guy is, I assume some kinda big egg from a nursery rhyme

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Communist Thoughts posted:

Start with con air (it's only downhill from here) then watch face/off, terminator 2, total recall (not the remake) , aliens, all 3 blades

God speed bro

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

God speed bro

Just watch anything with Arnold except lik jingle all the way

Conan owns
Predator owns
Pumping iron owns plus it's a documentary so you can say you're into documentary films

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

end of days is underrated

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
polling update: my 22 year old coworker vaguely knew who fred astaire was but not humphrey bogart, like no idea. :wtf:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Really any Astaire. They are all the same story of some wise rear end dancing his way into a lady's bed and fortune.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
*perusing the criterion collection aisle at the local video store* "what the gently caress is this poo poo? what in the rear end gently caress is this? yojimbo? i'd rather eat goat turds!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I'll add it to my SMART goals; thank you! I watched mean girls (it was great), and i want to spend more time enjoying movies and stuff like movies. i also really like mst3k

NHD this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6avI44lheyc

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Smythe posted:

polling update: my 22 year old coworker vaguely knew who fred astaire was but not humphrey bogart, like no idea. :wtf:

⭐👁️

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

500 good dogs posted:

Donnie Darko

:hmmyes:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Smythe posted:

*perusing the criterion collection aisle at the local video store* "what the gently caress is this poo poo? what in the rear end gently caress is this? yojimbo? i'd rather eat goat turds!

Would you rather a buffalo take a diarrhea dump in your ear

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

Whos that???

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

d20wned

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

God speed bro

spacemang_spliff posted:

Just watch anything with Arnold except lik jingle all the way

Conan owns
Predator owns
Pumping iron owns plus it's a documentary so you can say you're into documentary films

when my wife and I get more spare time we'll watch one or two of these. I haven't seen con air but I've heard of it!

Smythe posted:

i giggled at both of these irl

mastershakeman posted:

I know THAT one because my high school friends and I watched it when we were trying to impress girls who came over to my best friend's house. it was gross and strange !

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Smythe posted:

Hes gonna take you back to the past
To take a film history class
Hed rather have Franois Truffaut
Take 400 diarrhea dumps in his ear

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

https://twitter.com/hourly_shitpost/status/1558891236806778883?t=tBvJL7bENRsMske6rJ3x0Q&s=19

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

NeatHeteroDude posted:

i don't know jack poo poo about what's famous or popular or anything. i know about 1. behaviorism and 2. being nice. everything else is way outside of my wheelhouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p48daZLNYFs

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Who’s that???

The joker

i got bad news
Apr 9, 2020
Michael Mann has written a novel called Heat 2

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
There's so many good movies, there's Italian crime films, Italian westerns, giallo, peplum, Italian horror, and even films that weren't from Italy!

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/ecto_fun/status/1558971998746836997

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/Ac0gMaster/status/1558584359128530944

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
why is he saying bottle britishly

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

why is he saying bottle britishly

Because the British accent is effeminate, OP.

Bohemian Grover
Aug 6, 2022

by Azathoth

Smythe posted:

leave the zoomer girls alone

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Here's looking at you...tube

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bohemian Grover posted:

leave the zoomer girls alone

excuse me but they don't tend to have worn out "only 80s kids will remember this" pussies

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

the bro zone has done it again

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
don't get me wrong, i left some wiggle room too; it's a minefield out there fellas

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
I would ask if I'm still thread banned but I don't ask for consent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

excuse me but they don't tend to have worn out "only 80s kids will remember this" pussies

Are you doing okay?

E: if you want to talk or anything, you can always send me or someone a pm.