Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is FFVII one of those RPGs where you can grind a bit and get strong enough to breeze through the plot fights, or is it one of those dumb RPGs where bosses get stronger with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Is FFVII one of those RPGs where you can grind a bit and get strong enough to breeze through the plot fights, or is it one of those dumb RPGs where bosses get stronger with you?

The first

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The game is super easy though too, you never need to grind

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

and IF i don't?

Then you'll miss out on a couple easter eggs in Persona 2 when you meet the protagonist of If and see that they chose to make the female protag of If the canon choice

Rinkles posted:

It's closer to the old SMTs than it is to Persona, though. There's barely any character to anyone, and minimal dialog iirc.

It skews closer to SMT1 and 2 than it does Persona 3, 4, and 5, but it's still an interesting little experiment and you can see a lot of what would become the Persona series staples get their start in If. It's neat at least from a historical standpoint and if you're already going to look into the P2s and P1, might as well check with If as well.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 15, 2022

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I did not particularly enjoy my time with if... but I also stupidly chose to not use a guide and therefore ended up with a heroine sidekick who was both not good mechanically and locked me out of the actual final boss. So if you do that maybe it'll be fun.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How the gently caress do I set a bomb on this reactor?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
grinding is for cowards

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m gonna grind whether I want to or not because I can’t figure out where to stand next to this reactor and press X to set the bomb.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

somebody setup us the bomb :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The big boiler looking thing with steam coming out the top and a catwalk around it, that’s the reactor right?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I’m gonna grind whether I want to or not because I can’t figure out where to stand next to this reactor and press X to set the bomb.

as deep as you can go

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

RBA Starblade posted:

It owns actually

:hellyeah:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ok now I’m stuck in a church because I can’t get Cloud to jump back over a gap he just jumped over, or to follow Aeria down the slide she just slid down.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah ff7 is a very hard game

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cloud tried to save Aeris from kidnappers by pushing barrels over but the barrels accomplished nothing and it turned out Aeris didn't need saving because she's practically immune to bullets.

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah ff7 is a very hard game

I'd forgotten how much of a pain controls can be in theses early 3D "cinematic" games. Love to climb down a ladder and then immediately get back on because while you're on the ladder pushing down means go down the ladder but the second you get off pushing down means move towards the bottom of the screen straight into the ladder

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lol yeah it's hard to tell where those barrels will land your first time, the perspective's really weird for that

Anyway you shouldn't ever need to grind in FFVII, it's really not that tough at any point. I guess if you want to do the superbosses at the end you might need to do some form of "grind" or another (levels, materia, chocobo breeding so you can get Knights of the Round) but otherwise you're not likely to run into any real roadblocks doing the main story as long as you're not, like, turning off random encounters the whole time and never leveling up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Persona and Persona 2 are pretty different games, yeah. I think Persona 1 shows a bit of its age, but a lot of people still swear by the Persona 2 duology. All three got PSP remakes which are probably the best way to play them (And the Eternal Punishment remake just got an English translation patch)

Persona 3 and 4 have very light connections to the first two but they're basically vestigial by 5.

I played Persona 1 for the first time ever a few months ago, finished it and enjoyed it quite a bit. Its a dated game, but still very playable. Want to get around to playing Persona 2.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/ParametricPalta/status/1558860559692566528

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Larryb posted:

Do Persona and Persona 2 still hold up out of curiosity? It feels like P3 was the point where the series really became what it is today

Also does P5 have any story connection (however minor) to its predecessors? I’ve only seen the anime version which just provided the bare story essentials

persona 1 and 2 i think are p janky by todays standards but afaik p1 has a cool atmosphere to it (i just read the manga of 1 tho) and p2 has some v good writing
unfortunately the most recent version of persona 1 is the psp version which cut out half the og songs and i think most of the og sfx(?) and also some fmvs got cut too?? then there was some pseudo p4 songs jammed in there instead, also unlike the persona 2s on the psp you can't switch the ost back to the original or see the old fmvs

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the manga of persona 1s p cool, the mangaka has a 90s shoujo style like their majin tensei 1 adaptation too and its cool af

and the old ost has a lot of bangers (the new songs are good too but.... theres no choice to swap em around in game)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stux posted:

somebody setup us the bomb :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

What you say?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The original persona localization is still something to behold

Imagine someone trying to pull that poo poo today.

This is the part where someone tells me about a recent game that did, in fact, pull this poo poo.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

maybe one of these days someone will just slap the psp loc into the psx ver... best of both worlds i guess (unless atlus cares about their old stuff again)

o yea on saturday night i finally beat hydra in smt5 woo!! :toot: tho i had to turn the difficulty to normal after like 15 tries on hard, fuse a neko shogun and give it 2 grimoires and tsuchigumos, and i still got wasted and needed another try because hydra wiped half the team on turn 1

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm hoping Duelyst 2 works well and doesn't die a horrible death/gets enough money to make the full single player campaign that the game was begging for in the first place.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm actually really impressed with bloodstained. The 3d models continue to suck and make gameplay harder than it should be. But it's got that big sotn energy where there's a ton of weird secrets and hidden poo poo. Plus a full cooking system, very cool

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm actually really impressed with bloodstained. The 3d models continue to suck and make gameplay harder than it should be. But it's got that big sotn energy where there's a ton of weird secrets and hidden poo poo. Plus a full cooking system, very cool

Bloodstained is a good game, yes. It has lots of weird janky bits and the graphics feel cheap (and feel extremely cheap riiiiiight at the end) but its got the right heart and more content than you'd expect for a first foray.

My biggest problem is they didn't abandon the tail end and in 2022 strange stretch goals like adding the protagonist from Child of Light and just shift focus entirely to Bloodstained 2.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think the final version of the models for Bloodstained aren't half bad. Spending the past few years learning to do art for video games has admittedly given me an appreciation for how goddamn hard it is on a budget, so I might just be more lenient in my assessment.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Harrow posted:

you're not, like, turning off random encounters the whole time and never leveling up.

Well unless your Veeg

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So I stumbled across this game on steam earlier called Kati The Astronaut and I need to share the trailer for it with you all. Please watch.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2099180/Kati_The_Astronaut/https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256898456/movie480_vp9.webm

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

Bloodstained is a good game, yes. It has lots of weird janky bits and the graphics feel cheap (and feel extremely cheap riiiiiight at the end) but its got the right heart and more content than you'd expect for a first foray.

My biggest problem is they didn't abandon the tail end and in 2022 strange stretch goals like adding the protagonist from Child of Light and just shift focus entirely to Bloodstained 2.

On the other hand seeing constant backer emails is the only reason I remembered it existed. I do wish they'd just move everything over to the hopefully pixelated sequel though.

Vermain posted:

I think the final version of the models for Bloodstained aren't half bad. Spending the past few years learning to do art for video games has admittedly given me an appreciation for how goddamn hard it is on a budget, so I might just be more lenient in my assessment.

Rembrandt was painting gorgeous dutchists back in the sixties, eighty years later and gamists can barely render hair right, it's honestly embarrassing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

On the other hand seeing constant backer emails is the only reason I remembered it existed. I do wish they'd just move everything over to the hopefully pixelated sequel though.

I would assume that it will remain 3d art so they can re-use and add more art more easily rather than the bottlenecking that happened with sprites last time, unfortunately. My dream wish is they rob Arc Sys for whatever they use to do Strive and then we get the best middle ground possible.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's a testament to how weird hair is that we've managed to realistically model something as ridiculously complicated as subsurface scattering in human skin, but trying to render hair that doesn't look like a block of wood or a patch of horrible string requires either extreme technical trickery or enough computing power to rediscover the higgs-boson

Barudak posted:

I would assume that it will remain 3d art so they can re-use and add more art more easily rather than the bottlenecking that happened with sprites last time, unfortunately. My dream wish is they rob Arc Sys for whatever they use to do Strive and then we get the best middle ground possible.

the techniques arcsys used are pretty well known - they did a really interesting presentation on them at GDC several years back - but they require a truly bonkers amount of time and effort to create even a single model, and actually animating them is a nightmare due to the complex bone setups they have to enable squash/stretch

Vermain fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 15, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Barudak posted:

The thing Arcsys does is very effort intensive, I don't think you could really do it for the hundreds of enemy models in a metroidvania game

to get that 2d look they actually hand-adjust the lighting and normals for every frame of every animation

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

FirstAidKite posted:

So I stumbled across this game on steam earlier called Kati The Astronaut and I need to share the trailer for it with you all. Please watch.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2099180/Kati_The_Astronaut/https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256898456/movie480_vp9.webm

Very hype to see a new Frog Fractions game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The thing Arcsys does is very effort intensive, I don't think you could really do it for the hundreds of enemy models in a metroidvania game

to get that 2d look they actually hand-adjust the lighting and normals for every frame of every animation

Doesn't matter, they should do it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Doesn't matter, they should do it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Starting on the left branch of AI: Somnium 1 after finishing Live A Live and man is Mizuki a miserable little poo poo. I think I dig her though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've been playing the capcom fighting collection the past couple days and I would like a darkstalkers that looks like GG Strive please

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Help Im Alive posted:

I've been playing the capcom fighting collection the past couple days and I would like a darkstalkers that looks like GG Strive please

I'll settle for one that looks like sf5 but anakaris isn't booty tier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just got a confirmation from the retailer that my PS5 has been shipped.

Now I can continue playing Elden Ring in 60 fps.