Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

pokeyman posted:

it's been awhile since I saw this episode, but since y'all didn't mention it, I feel secure in saying they don't explicitly make any connection between toby's astronaut brother's health and toby/bartlet making noise specifically about healthcare? which is I think very smart, because a) there's no need to say every connection out loud and b) it wouldn't make a ton of sense (I assume nasa has decent health insurance for astronauts)

the exchange between kate and cj of
"what happened to your boob?"
"really?"
cracks me up as very un-erudite dialogue. which sorkin was adept at deploying, but it takes the b-team a couple seasons to work up the confidence

also re: why are they worrying about coffee stains when there's ostensibly a government to run, I think they get halfway there with a sexist joke? would've been cooler if they finished the thought

we were curious as well. who cares what your clothes are like you have to save the world or whatever

but then again I haven’t worked in an office in

12 years lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Not only are they professional adults at the highest level of power, they're all friends, or friendly enough. If CJ opens the meeting with "hey, sorry about my blouse, coffee got spilled on me" then it's over and done and everyone moves on with their lives. But then we don't have a wacky comedy subplot, and to be fair, it does lead to Margaret's all time best line so I guess it was worth it in the end.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

WampaLord posted:

Not only are they professional adults at the highest level of power, they're all friends, or friendly enough. If CJ opens the meeting with "hey, sorry about my blouse, coffee got spilled on me" then it's over and done and everyone moves on with their lives. But then we don't have a wacky comedy subplot, and to be fair, it does lead to Margaret's all time best line so I guess it was worth it in the end.

In this building when the president wears a clean shirt nobody stains...

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1537285675032031233?s=20&t=Y4i8OuoKWjvWIXN8LseCTQ

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
oh heck oh gawrsh I forgot

https://soundcloud.com/theworstwing69/s6e15-one-good-day

we did a podcasting the other day. we talked about stuff! it's a weird episode! god drat deficit hawks

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
hurrayyyy PODCASTING

https://soundcloud.com/theworstwing69/s6e16-la-palabra

I am too tired to come up with clever words about this but uh, Leland Palmer makes a guest appearance and contributes to one half of the most handsomest limo ride on television, so, you can watch this one!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Ahahaha the Cuba episode is next I can't wait let's gooo

Also, good ep. Sounded like you both were having fun!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

pokeyman posted:

Ahahaha the Cuba episode is next I can't wait let's gooo

Also, good ep. Sounded like you both were having fun!

emma sitting here at the kitchen island and she goes "cuba episode's the fuckin worst"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
oh

it was the worst

just endless lols about this one. the writers value convenience so much more than consistency it's remarkable

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Cuba Libre me from this poo poo sandwich

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
After listening to your last two, I watched both episodes. Yep, one was at least entertaining, and the other was not-so-much. It's funny how intrigue between rival presidential campaigns over scheduling inconsistencies was more compelling than the supposed intrigue between old Cold War rival nations and ex-spies.

Usually when it comes to the bad stuff, I try to understand the mindset of how someone could watch it and think it's a decent piece of entertainment. Or how it was pitched. I just imagine one senior writer just asking "Have we done a Cuba episode? That's an issue." And then the other writers pitching ideas like
"Let's tie it with the Florida primary!"
"Leo the remorseful elder statesman."
"Kate backstory episode. Maybe she's remorseful too."
"I guess we should have a scene where they debate about the topic. How about a senator? Who haven't we got on the show yet?"

And perhaps a small fraction of the lib audience is merely satisfied with the shallow discourse. I got Syriana/Traffic vibes from the tone they were trying to go for, where the facade of nuance and complexity bumbling around different boring character plots is supposed to be sophisticated entertainment in itself. And as you guys said, it demands to be processed through a narrow ideological lens where the Cuban Revolution can't even be considered cool and good.

I understand the White House forecasting the political fallout, but there was just something weirdly juvenile about them running down, one-at-a-time, how each off-camera candidate was going to respond. This felt like it was written by college student trying to write The West Wing. Obama recognized Cuba. Trump met with Kim-Jong Un and faced almost no political penalty. Especially with that hindsight there's just something weirdly tedious about the Bartlet White House panicking over how the press might blow it all up.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Echo Chamber posted:

I understand the White House forecasting the political fallout, but there was just something weirdly juvenile about them running down, one-at-a-time, how each off-camera candidate was going to respond. This felt like it was written by college student trying to write The West Wing. Obama recognized Cuba. Trump met with Kim-Jong Un and faced almost no political penalty. Especially with that hindsight there's just something weirdly tedious about the Bartlet White House panicking over how the press might blow it all up.

to a certain degree I think it's legitimately just old hat now, the white house is always panicking about the press, it's so boring!! Do something else! Handwring and fret yourself into inaction a DIFFERENT WAY even

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
don't worry viewers

we wouldn't ACTUALLY criticize AR-15 Jesus

he's big, and white, and loves* you**^

https://soundcloud.com/theworstwing69/s6e18-in-god-we-trust

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gunshow Poophole posted:

we wouldn't ACTUALLY criticize AR-15 Jesus
Oh thank god.
I love gun.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ok it is from this episode, had to double-check. the most egregious line to me is vinick watching the democrat handshake on tv and saying "If one of those guys had Jed Bartlet's political instincts, I'd be 20 points behind." I dunno why it sets me off, I guess it feels like such a transparent "ah, see, the good character agrees with me, your humble writer" line? there's a dozen people total who give a poo poo about that photo op and they're all employed by a presidential campaign, get outta here with political instincts

glad you got back safely from your visit to exotic koo-bah!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah it just strikes me as another lazy writer fallback, can’t figure out how to SHOW that Bartlett is capital g Good At Politics so I dunno make new hero guy say it in plain words

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
West Wing helped turn an entire generation of politician's brain to mush.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

pokeyman posted:

ok it is from this episode, had to double-check. the most egregious line to me is vinick watching the democrat handshake on tv and saying "If one of those guys had Jed Bartlet's political instincts, I'd be 20 points behind." I dunno why it sets me off, I guess it feels like such a transparent "ah, see, the good character agrees with me, your humble writer" line? there's a dozen people total who give a poo poo about that photo op and they're all employed by a presidential campaign, get outta here with political instincts

glad you got back safely from your visit to exotic koo-bah!

The most egregious line is when someone asks a Sorkin character who his favorite writer is and he answers that it is a different Sorkin character. The show is so bad at politics that they can only have a character tell the audience that something is a master stroke or that some character is the best at politics or a speech has changed everything, because there would be no way that the audience could come to these conclusions from watching this stupid show.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Acinonyx posted:

The most egregious line is when someone asks a Sorkin character who his favorite writer is and he answers that it is a different Sorkin character. The show is so bad at politics that they can only have a character tell the audience that something is a master stroke or that some character is the best at politics or a speech has changed everything, because there would be no way that the audience could come to these conclusions from watching this stupid show.

oh I meant in the episode, I agree that line is way more egregious

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

MonsieurChoc posted:

West Wing helped turn an entire generation of politician's brain to mush.

speaking of

https://soundcloud.com/theworstwing69/s6e19-things-fall-apart

time for more authoritarian Dad Vibes!!

i lied, I can remember the last time I was excoriated for being a boy in amorous proximity to a girl: sorry Mr. B, I couldn't make an honest woman of your daughter we were like 15 lmao thanks for letting me use you to figure out how absolutely full of poo poo adults were

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

trying to come up with a way to salvage that weird Bartlet/Charlie scene and nope, I don't think it can be done. shoulda left it at the "oh, hello" in the dim foyer

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Tying the whole President Hero point you made at the end with Jimmy Smits plot:

If you accept the idea of liberal democracy as coalition building; it would have been very reasonable for Santos to accept a junior role in a partnership with Bob. While technically the party awarding Santos the nomination is within the rules, they were able to handwave away how Russel had more delegates (and voters/supporters presumably), and that should have been more controversial if it was that big of a lead. Him just flat out saying No was just a vapid hero moment, especially since it wasn't implied there was a huge ideological divide between the two. Santos was just more aesthetically unorthodox by not being conventional careerist and also had (at least what was supposed to be) eccentric technocratic policies that ultimately don't threaten anyone powerful.

But Santos, not Bob, was essentially the New Dad we follow around, so let's have him get the nomination with the Hero Speech.

I'm not gonna take this thought to its logical conclusion and argue the show successfully predicted Obama getting the nom over Hillary despite losing the 2008 popular vote. (This dubious claim is even believed by many lefty Hillary haters.)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Broke their brains so hard they had to make sure it happened. Hillary losing to Obama is just proof the West Wing is our platonic ideal of politics!

Also it's kinda quaint the idea that talking bout a secret shuttle would have any blowback. Toby is only going to suffer because the showrunners want him to face consequences for making the Hard Choice (of admitting what everyone already knew, because you can't launch things into space in secret in the world of keyhole satalites)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

HootTheOwl posted:

Broke their brains so hard they had to make sure it happened. Hillary losing to Obama is just proof the West Wing is our platonic ideal of politics!
In my headcanon, Trump nonetheless became president in the show's universe. I forgot Ventura was implied to have happened and that's further confirmation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Imagine if West Wing had Jesse Ventura run for President.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

might make the live debate watchable

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Also, it seems really hard to google the origin of "dems in disarray", but I remember it being used in the 2008 election, but have no memory of it being used in 2004 when it could have also applied, so patient zero might be a literal fake election.

I'd almost argue that even though the Sorkin years are "quintessential" West Wing, seasons 6 and 7 probably left a greater impression on the American liberal imagination, at least for the lanyard class that surrounded Obama himself and the general Obama zeitgeist.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Echo Chamber posted:

Also, it seems really hard to google the origin of "dems in disarray", but I remember it being used in the 2008 election, but have no memory of it being used in 2004 when it could have also applied, so patient zero might be a literal fake election.

I'd almost argue that even though the Sorkin years are "quintessential" West Wing, seasons 6 and 7 probably left a greater impression on the American liberal imagination, at least for the lanyard class that surrounded Obama himself and the general Obama zeitgeist.

so yeah I was thinking about this and will talk about it on the next episode, but this season was written and aired between 0 and 9 months after the obama 2004 dnc speech, his myth was being created as santos' was

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Just thinking about Mike Gravel in the 2007 primaries and comparing to the West Wing primaries lol. Same with Bernie in 2016 and 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dsXO8vxYQM

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
drat, I was a little young for the '08 primary but yeah Give'emHellGravel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZdAB4V_j8&t=106s Also this.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Got a robocall today from "Same Seaborn" in what I assume was a targeted to Obama-era libs scam bot

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HootTheOwl posted:

Got a robocall today from "Same Seaborn" in what I assume was a targeted to Obama-era libs scam bot

lol

extra lol particularly given that rob lowe is a big chud now

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gunshow Poophole posted:

lol

extra lol particularly given that rob lowe is a big chud now

But he just wants to sell me no-carb milkshakes and no carb peanutbutter cups!

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Is there a better example that people don't actually get canceled than Rob Lowe?`

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Acinonyx posted:

Is there a better example that people don't actually get canceled than Rob Lowe?`
Al Franken

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
cursed
https://twitter.com/OfficialJLD/status/1574860517310550016?s=20&t=8DqeH7HXwf0GKM6uVURLbQ

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
gross!

we’re on a bit of a hiatus rn for reasons that we will mention, we are both healthy and good and cool as always just some life stuff happening

but we are COMMITTED to seeing this project through. we will continue to SUFFER

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Holy shitballs Toby is in the new God of War as Odin

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

gradenko_2000 posted:

Holy shitballs Toby is in the new God of War as Odin

Here, Kratos I'll help you out. For all your axe swinging and chain whirling you still don't under stand that ragnarok is a loosing issue and the only thing that matters is winning. You can't do any ragnaroks if you don't win the election! And it won't even cost you an eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HootTheOwl posted:

Here, Kratos I'll help you out. For all your axe swinging and chain whirling you still don't under stand that ragnarok is a loosing issue and the only thing that matters is winning. You can't do any ragnaroks if you don't win the election! And it won't even cost you an eye.

lol perfect

anyway we are recording this weekend for the first time in forever. compounding Events have kept us off the mic, but we are safe and reasonably sound