Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

yung lambic posted:

I’ve played my Xbox Series X for like two hours in the two months since I’ve had it because I have a newborn. Not winning currently.

When my oldest son was born my wife would kick us both out of the bedroom at like 5 am so she could sleep for a few hours a night. So we would go into the other bedroom and he would sleep on me and his boppy pillow while I played Fallout New Vegas. He turned 10 yesterday. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

If I recall correctly, there were one or two goons in the Switch thread that during launch really championed the joy-cons for gaming while getting an infant off to sleep.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Who it isn't the twist so much as the game trying to make you feel bad for not returning his advances

the game is 100% about broken relationships (and many of their red flags), not healthy ones, and stalker boy is par for the course

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

otter posted:

When my oldest son was born my wife would kick us both out of the bedroom at like 5 am so she could sleep for a few hours a night. So we would go into the other bedroom and he would sleep on me and his boppy pillow while I played Fallout New Vegas. He turned 10 yesterday. :3:

Ha, my oldest was super colicky and had to be held for hours each night to sleep and also plowed through New Vegas while holding her and blowing up people's heads in VATS.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Maneki Neko posted:

Ha, my oldest was super colicky and had to be held for hours each night to sleep and also plowed through New Vegas while holding her and blowing up people's heads in VATS.

proof babies love Fallout New Vegas.
Also the soundtrack owns and all babies should listen to Johnny Guitar and Big Iron.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same here except I bounced a baby with constant ear infections in a bouncer with my foot while I murked people in black ops 2 for 360

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

otter posted:

proof babies love Fallout New Vegas.
Also the soundtrack owns and all babies should listen to Johnny Guitar and Big Iron.

I wish console New Vegas could use mods like 4.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I found a game where the console (Xbox Serie X) don't really have enough horsepower to move it....

Cult of the Lamb.

Despite being 2D-ish, the game have so many shaders and effects stacked on each other, that the console suffer to run correctly at times, also some sort of memory leak when it runs for many hours long.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That game seems fun but very much seems like a "wait until this gets less buggy" kinda thing at the moment

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

otter posted:

Yeah same with the boppy. The 6.5 months before she could get out of the boppy were my best gaming time ever i beat like 3 games a week only stopping for feedings, changings, and to join in on a nap or two. Then she crawled out of the boppy and my gaming hours dwindled to what i could squeeze in post bedtime.

Apparently boppy had to discontinue the pillow i had cause it was too good as a baby trap and they would roll over and suffocate or something terrible but its cool the cat is safe in it now as his hand me down bed 5 years later.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tei posted:

I found a game where the console (Xbox Serie X) don't really have enough horsepower to move it....

Cult of the Lamb.

Despite being 2D-ish, the game have so many shaders and effects stacked on each other, that the console suffer to run correctly at times, also some sort of memory leak when it runs for many hours long.

On pc the game shits itself at daybreak every day lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That game seems fun but very much seems like a "wait until this gets less buggy" kinda thing at the moment

Yeah its all style, really thin mechanically right now.

Its fun and engrossing but the whole time im nit picking, ya know?

It has the skeleton there to flesh out tho

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

otter posted:

My oldest turned 10 this month, and I remember having her in the little bouncy thing under my desk, bouncing her with my foot and playing Diablo 3.

My 2nd slept on my chest for about 60 hours of the third Dragon Age game. What happy memories!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I remember how proud I was last summer when my (then 9 year old) played Diablo III all by himself and beat it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does anyone have the xbox elite series 2 controller? I’m just wondering if it is easy to swap between pc and xbox without some kind of big rigamarole.

I will have to find one of those xbox wireless adapters which seem to be sold out or priced high (or obvious knockoffs for less). Sad my 360 controller pc adapter doesn’t work for that.

I want to try playing fpses with controller going forward

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I do, it's very easy it'll connect to both just by hitting the connect button (although I connect to my PC via usb and I don't actually use it with the xbox - I think the regular new controllers are perfectly good and have a similar hold.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Halo infinite is irredeemable. It sucks because the mechanics of the game are pretty good. But man this games multiplayer is dog poo poo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Raider posted:

Halo infinite is irredeemable. It sucks because the mechanics of the game are pretty good. But man this games multiplayer is dog poo poo.

i don't know why they decided that 4v4 and 32 players needed to be the only mods. halo is best somewhere in the middle on maps that are somewhere between bigger than the 4v4 broom closets or the huge big team battle ones.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s impressive managing to put out the worst multiplayer AAA game in a year when Battlefield 2042 came out!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

343 has no idea how to serve its fans and no agility to pivot to meet their demands once they find out the hard way. Institutionally they are highly hosed up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im trying to think about how they made a f2p live service with no regular content pipeline but it hurts

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

Im trying to think about how they made a f2p live service with no regular content pipeline but it hurts

I don't even care about that I just want to know why we couldn't get any classic halo maps or co-op lol. And where the hell is forge?!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't even care about that I just want to know why we couldn't get any classic halo maps or co-op lol. And where the hell is forge?!

It’s unbelievably stupid

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was playing a bit of the campaign the other day and the grapple hook is still fun as hell

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I was playing a bit of the campaign the other day and the grapple hook is still fun as hell

that's why it's such a loving crime that co-op and dlc etc somehow is apparently never coming

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I enjoy playing the occasional Halo match, it's fun. Forge looks like it could be a game changer, can't wait for that to come out. Whenever that is.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Larry Parrish posted:

that's why it's such a loving crime that co-op and dlc etc somehow is apparently never coming

They literally just had the co-op public beta. Forge has also been leaked and even in it's incomplete form is looking vastly more complex than any Forge made before it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTW3X0JQqzk

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 15, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

priznat posted:

It’s impressive managing to put out the worst multiplayer AAA game in a year when Battlefield 2042 came out!

2042 was miles worse imho

at least halo was free lol

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
It's so weird to see so much anger and dismay over Halo Infinite as someone who doesn't care about multiplayer. I had a great time with the campaign like 7 months ago and walked away satisfied but everything I've heard since is about how poo poo everything is and how the devs are evil donkeys for making the worst experience imaginable.

I'm sure they dropped the ball, but is it really that bad? I don't know anything about playlists or matchmaking or whatever the gently caress.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpiderLink posted:

It's so weird to see so much anger and dismay over Halo Infinite as someone who doesn't care about multiplayer. I had a great time with the campaign like 7 months ago and walked away satisfied but everything I've heard since is about how poo poo everything is and how the devs are evil donkeys for making the worst experience imaginable.

I'm sure they dropped the ball, but is it really that bad? I don't know anything about playlists or matchmaking or whatever the gently caress.

the problem with the campaign is i full cleared it and i never really cared about skulls because as a cursed pc gamer they didn't exist for me until mcc anyway. i guess i should beat it on legendary eventually but whatever. i didn't like the boss fights much and I'm not excited for them again. so that just leaves the multiplayer, which on a base level is great, it feels like classic halo and all the weapons are good etc. problem is the way vehicle spawns work is stupid in btb, its fairly random so you either get something amazing or something dogshit, and sometimes the enemy gets a Scorpion and you get a chopper. or the midpoint vehicle spawn is slightly closer to one base than the other.

also, there was only 3 BTB maps and like what, 4 or 5 arena maps? i think they finally added a few more though. some of the small maps didn't work at all for every game mode. the playlist thing wasn't really much of a problem imo though. the real problem is any multiplayer fps that isn't counter strike gets really boring if you only have a couple maps to play. halo combat evolved had like what, 14? plus custom maps on PC. i think every other main halo title had more than that. halo is a fun FPS that I'm extremely fond of but it's absolutely not a precision competitive game the way quake 3 or counter strike is so the repetition is not helpful at all.

and like i said above the game sorely needed a mode in between 4v4 or BTB, halo combat (imo) is kind of fundamentally busted at either of those extremes. they did too good a job of replicating the halo 2 feel for that to work. the most fun I had was playing inhouse matches with 8-12 imps but it was hard for us all to meet up at once and eventually nobody was playing anymore because there just wasn't enough variety.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The lack of more maps and forge are the main points, I guess. Apart from that, it's a pretty fun mp experience to me.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

2042 was miles worse imho

at least halo was free lol

Yea at least halo works, 2042 was a boondoggle

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Have they added co op to halo yet?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

the problem with the campaign is i full cleared it and i never really cared about skulls because as a cursed pc gamer they didn't exist for me until mcc anyway. i guess i should beat it on legendary eventually but whatever. i didn't like the boss fights much and I'm not excited for them again. so that just leaves the multiplayer, which on a base level is great, it feels like classic halo and all the weapons are good etc. problem is the way vehicle spawns work is stupid in btb, its fairly random so you either get something amazing or something dogshit, and sometimes the enemy gets a Scorpion and you get a chopper. or the midpoint vehicle spawn is slightly closer to one base than the other.

also, there was only 3 BTB maps and like what, 4 or 5 arena maps? i think they finally added a few more though. some of the small maps didn't work at all for every game mode. the playlist thing wasn't really much of a problem imo though. the real problem is any multiplayer fps that isn't counter strike gets really boring if you only have a couple maps to play. halo combat evolved had like what, 14? plus custom maps on PC. i think every other main halo title had more than that. halo is a fun FPS that I'm extremely fond of but it's absolutely not a precision competitive game the way quake 3 or counter strike is so the repetition is not helpful at all.

and like i said above the game sorely needed a mode in between 4v4 or BTB, halo combat (imo) is kind of fundamentally busted at either of those extremes. they did too good a job of replicating the halo 2 feel for that to work. the most fun I had was playing inhouse matches with 8-12 imps but it was hard for us all to meet up at once and eventually nobody was playing anymore because there just wasn't enough variety.

Another problem is that with maybe one exception, all the infinite maps are mediocre to flat out bad. It’s a problem when there are only like 6 of them. That map that’s a C shape with a giant gap in the middle is one of the worst multiplayer maps I’ve ever seen. Any one of us could make a better map with 5 minutes and a cocktail napkin

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Have they added co op to halo yet?
They ran a week-long public beta test a month ago, so the answer is a resounding "almost".

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

skulls btb Scorpion the playlist thing imps

Thank you for the comprehensive answer, but I didn't understand the above. I think scorpion is a tank? What I got from it is that there aren't enough maps or modes, so I can see how that would make things tedious. Especially if they're doing it as a GaaS and there isn't much substance being added.

I don't really know what a battle pass is, is it like "you get XP for doing certain tasks and when you hit a threshold you unlock a cosmetic"?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

SpiderLink posted:

Thank you for the comprehensive answer, but I didn't understand the above. I think scorpion is a tank? What I got from it is that there aren't enough maps or modes, so I can see how that would make things tedious. Especially if they're doing it as a GaaS and there isn't much substance being added.

I don't really know what a battle pass is, is it like "you get XP for doing certain tasks and when you hit a threshold you unlock a cosmetic"?

Yep, the scorpion is the human tank and the most effective DPS vehicle in any halo game, bar none. A problem is the spawns are incredibly unbalanced, and one team always starts OP. Can the other team counter the better spawn? Yes, but it's starting from behind, and that sucks. You're right in that there arent enough modes and not enough maps by at least 3x.

You're also right about battle passes as well, but there's a free version with limited cosmetic unlocks and a paid version (usually 10 bucks) that has far more unlocks. In halo's case, its a bunch of similar looking armor bits that nobody should care about. Which begs the question, why pay the 10 dollars to unlock the full battle pass when there's nothing cool in it?

(I know you can grind for free battle passes, but gently caress that in this game and in general)

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
When you need to summarise the problems with Halo Infinite you can just say 'lack of content', since in basically every department that's the problem.

It's been nearly a year and they have added 2 maps, no weapons, no vehicles, and certain core modes are still missing.

Forge MIGHT fix nearly all these things in one go, but I'm really not sure how much people want to play custom games that won't have any progression tied to them in 2022.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it feels like it was released because if it wasn't for Halo Infinite, what the hell did Microsoft even publish in 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it feels like it was released because if it wasn't for Halo Infinite, what the hell did Microsoft even publish in 2022

nothing because halo infinite came out in 2021, the last year any game was released on the series x