Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

The only thing Alex Jones has been able to do is to delay the consequences while simultaneously making them worse for himself when they finally hit.

The only method he really could employ to avoid consequences at this point is pulling a Lowtax.

I don’t think Jones will do that. I think he’s going to go the way of Jim Bakker, much more bizarre, a lot less Tammy Faye (sadly). But to be fair, there will never be another Tammy Faye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

teen witch posted:

I don’t think Jones will do that. I think he’s going to go the way of Jim Bakker, much more bizarre, a lot less Tammy Faye (sadly). But to be fair, there will never be another Tammy Faye.

omg, do you think if we put the man who turned himself blue in the same room as the man who turned himself bright red they will cancel out?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Then just put on the 3D Glasses!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Froghammer posted:

Information about Jones' finances will become more clear as he starts to rack up guilty verdicts in his various civil cases, and I think it's safe to assume that he has a long history of financial chicanery just waiting to be uncovered.

Tax evasion wouldn't surprise me. I'm not sure there's a financial crime that would surprise me. He's a paranoid millionaire, of course he's going to be doing shady poo poo with his money.

I hope he committed something just bizarre and unknown.

Like he's been quietly doing simony or something.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
New kinds of tax crime we didn't even K ow existed

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

He's been hollowing out dimes and filling them with little slips of yu gi oh cards or some poo poo.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

omg, do you think if we put the man who turned himself blue in the same room as the man who turned himself bright red they will cancel out?

isnt the blue from organic silver forever, while Jones red temporary?

This isnt even or fair and Jone needs to find a way to be red either forever or long enough.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

isnt the blue from organic silver forever, while Jones red temporary?

Nah, it's because colloidal silver dude is moving towards us at relativistic speeds, while Alex Jones is moving away from us.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
'Blue Ascension'? Were they playing Mass Effect when they got yelled at to come up with a name for a shell company?

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Red Destruction and Green Synthesis were already taken apparently.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/openargs/status/1558538591629746176?s=20&t=gU5vmjZSJxjW4Aqy7bfPGQ

I so want them to

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

"We meet again, Mr. Jones. By the way, how's your torn larynx?" - Judge Maya Gamble, sometime in 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FoolyCharged posted:

The reason tax evasion comes up is that trying to hide his assets from the courts doesn't stop at the courts; by saying he's got no money here he will also be saying it on his taxes and thus paying well under what he should be. He can't exactly claim to be bankrupt here and then file his actual worth come February, can he?

You don’t file your “worth” with your taxes. You’re taxed on net-of-whatever income, not assets held. He can absolutely say “I had a bunch of income but don’t have any of it left because of expenses”, since I believe that we’re talking about corporate assets for the most part.

E: he is clearly trying to do shady poo poo with his assets, as evidenced by the various not-arm’s-length transactions that he’s trying to treat otherwise. I don’t think it’s really valuable to just make up “well he must be…” flights of fancy about him committing tax evasion, trespassing, or violations of the Mann Act. The reality is messy enough, and hard enough to follow, without additional fabrication.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 15, 2022

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

teen witch posted:

drat, he turned into David Cross.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

teen witch posted:

One of the products Bakker sells is a line of buckets full of survival food. The image of him mixing survival rations with a shovel is not one you'll forget anytime soon.

This should be queued up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOH37W0jPpA&t=180s

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

You don’t file your “worth” with your taxes. You’re taxed on net-of-whatever income, not assets held. He can absolutely say “I had a bunch of income but don’t have any of it left because of expenses”, since I believe that we’re talking about corporate assets for the most part.

E: he is clearly trying to do shady poo poo with his assets, as evidenced by the various not-arm’s-length transactions that he’s trying to treat otherwise. I don’t think it’s really valuable to just make up “well he must be…” flights of fancy about him committing tax evasion, trespassing, or violations of the Mann Act. The reality is messy enough, and hard enough to follow, without additional fabrication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HySK5pDrCJM&t=2237s
Alex personally withdrew over 60 million in 2020. With his history I think its fair to not give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Fighting the Globalists doesn't come cheap!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I don’t think it’s a flight of fancy to imagine that he’s cheating on his taxes. Transparency and honesty aren’t his strong suits, and he runs InfoFreeBlueReset or whatever like lots of other small business petty tyrants in America do. And he hates the government.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
How was Jesse Ventura when it came to his conspiracy theory stuff compared to Jones? I missed most of the era of nearly 15-20 years ago when he seemed to have been a bit of a popular figure in that realm.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Remember that both Jesse Ventura and Mike Lindell were born in Minnesota so they sound similar.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I used to work at a store that sold the My Pillow way before the lawsuits and trump bullshit and just from the image on the box I assumed he was a southern dandy type, with a gentle Carolinian accent. First time I heard him actually speak it was like he was saying "ain't got time to sleep" or like he was going to proclaim his pillow would make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus. It threw me for a bit of a loop.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

How was Jesse Ventura when it came to his conspiracy theory stuff compared to Jones? I missed most of the era of nearly 15-20 years ago when he seemed to have been a bit of a popular figure in that realm.

He used to be on InfoWars all the time.

Which, to be fair, he spent most of the time telling Alex he's dumb as hell and poking holes in his bullshit. But he still kept coming on InfoWars and had his own conspiracy theory poo poo, they were just not as laughable because Ventura at least tried to be consistent.

And I don't think he was as overtly racist, maybe? By which I mean I don't specifically remember him saying anything racist beyond the background levels of being a 60+ white guy from the Midwest. And I remember him sticking up for Hispanics a few times, but like "no we shouldn't put them in camps", not nuanced positions on diversity.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
As far as batshit insane conspiracy theorists go, Jesse Ventura seems relatively ok. He was willing to go up against the chud boot lickers and call out Chris Kyle.

He also went after jan 6 dipshits on chris Jericho's podcast. I guess Jericho's wife was a jan 6 participant and he cut immediately to commercial when Ventura said he'd kill any riotsr with a confederate flag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZtxuL4lMxM

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ventura attempted to unionize WWF wrestlers in the 1980s. Supposedly, Hulk Hogan ratted him out.

He also refused to give a Confederate flag back that Minnesota had captured in the Civil War.

quote:

Jesse Ventura in getting a blood-soaked, bullet-pierced Civil War flag returned from the Minnesota Historical Society. "Absolutely not," the governor said Monday at the White House, where he was participating in the National Governors Association annual meeting. "Why? I mean, we won."

That is not to say that Ventura is completely sane. He was in Vietnam and he's been in pro wrestling. Either alone would be enough for some really whacked out opinions and he was involved in both. There are no completely good people in pro wrestling, just some less lovely than others.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i just assume being around hogan too long makes you really think about trying not to be such an rear end in a top hat

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I remember him being a big 9/11 truther, but now Jesse's conspiracies just seem like grandpa's drunk again.

" You know the CIA flew drugs out of Cambodia?"
"Yes, we know grandpa."
"They flew them into Harlem to poison black people."
" WE KNOW, but its time to change your diaper again."

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

Burning_Monk posted:

I remember him being a big 9/11 truther, but now Jesse's conspiracies just seem like grandpa's drunk again.

" You know the CIA flew drugs out of Cambodia?"
"Yes, we know grandpa."
"They flew them into Harlem to poison black people."
" WE KNOW, but its time to change your diaper again."

Isn't that true though? The crack epidemic Reagan used to fund contras? Or is that part of the :thejoke:?

I wasn't alive during that time, but I've heard that sort of stuff said before.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Ventura attempted to unionize WWF wrestlers in the 1980s. Supposedly, Hulk Hogan ratted him out.

He also refused to give a Confederate flag back that Minnesota had captured in the Civil War.

That is not to say that Ventura is completely sane. He was in Vietnam and he's been in pro wrestling. Either alone would be enough for some really whacked out opinions and he was involved in both. There are no completely good people in pro wrestling, just some less lovely than others.
IIRC Virginia keeps asking for the flag back and whoever happens to be Governor keeps having to tell them "gently caress off there's a reason why we ended up with that flag".

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

god please help me posted:

Isn't that true though? The crack epidemic Reagan used to fund contras? Or is that part of the :thejoke:?

Yeah it was true but it wasn’t news to anybody.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.reuters.com/legal/exclusive-inside-alex-jones-jury-room-tensions-pizza-lizard-people-2022-08-15/

Short article with one juror interveiwed

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

This article kills me because it sounds like the jury actually did a good job following the rules as they were told to them. They had a hard time putting a number to emotional suffering because it’s hard to quantify. But everyone agreed that Jones needed to be punished, and they were pretty aggressive in punishing him—they wanted to take 10% of his net worth per parent.

If every other jury acted this way for a total of 20 kids Jones would lose everything twice over. Shame about the punitive damages being reduced though. It really does seem like that subverts the will of the jury.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Cantorsdust posted:

This article kills me because it sounds like the jury actually did a good job following the rules as they were told to them. They had a hard time putting a number to emotional suffering because it’s hard to quantify. But everyone agreed that Jones needed to be punished, and they were pretty aggressive in punishing him—they wanted to take 10% of his net worth per parent.

If every other jury acted this way for a total of 20 kids Jones would lose everything twice over. Shame about the punitive damages being reduced though. It really does seem like that subverts the will of the jury.

Heartening that even the lowest suggestion on compensatory was 500k, and that it doesn't sound like there was really any disagreement about the punitive, but

Cantorsdust posted:

It really does seem like that subverts the will of the jury.

100% yes

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, that's literally what the law is designed to do. It actively requires an ignorant jury and preys on that. It pretty much exists solely to functionally remove punitive damages from the rich in Texas.

Because let's be real, if you're poor 200k is still a poo poo ton of money and will wreck you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, that's literally what the law is designed to do. It actively requires an ignorant jury and preys on that. It pretty much exists solely to functionally remove punitive damages from the rich in Texas.

Because let's be real, if you're poor 200k is still a poo poo ton of money and will wreck you.

Yup. The judge even mentioned this after she dismissed the jury and Reynal complained that the non-final judgment did not comport with Texas law. She said something like "Yeah I know, in Texas we trust the jury 100% and then we don't. I'm sure that whatever judgment is signed with comply with Texas law."

Punitive damages caps have been found unconstitutional before, and while the plaintiffs are not as good as the Neil and Scarlett, there are cases pending before the SCoTX right now to strike it down again.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Agents are GO! posted:

Then just put on the 3D Glasses!

No don’t

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

god please help me posted:

Reagan funded the contras by selling weapons to Iran. The crack epidemic occurred concurrently, but was only tangentially related. It happened mostly because people figured out how to freebase cocaine (turning the very impure cocaine that you'd normally get at the street level into pure "crack" rock). That discovery was similar to how the opioid epidemic got started with the high-quality, ultra-pure oxycodone hitting the market. The difference is that oxycodone was manufactured by drug companies, while crack was manufactured at the street level. Nobody was shipping crack into communities, drug dealers in the communities were getting low-quality coke and turning it into crack. And while the contras (and various other right-wing South American forces) were definitely selling cocaine to drug networks in the US to supplement their Reagan-provided income, they were only one of many different organizations doing that.

So the "Reagan introduced crack to black neighborhoods" is one of those conspiracy hooks that sounds plausible, but doesn't hold up to scrutiny. The real harm that Reagan did to black communities in the US had much more to do with the way his administration pushed racist agendas, undermined labor, and cut support for those communities. The rise in things like crack use and gang violence were the symptoms, not the disease.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
FYI, the newest Opening Arguments (coming out tomorrow for non patrons) confirms that CT punitive damages are limited to litigation costs

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Piell posted:

FYI, the newest Opening Arguments (coming out tomorrow for non patrons) confirms that CT punitive damages are limited to litigation costs

great system

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Piell posted:

In that case it is both well known and the jury gets to be told, explicitly so they will pile on the compensatory damages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

RFC2324 posted:

In that case it is both well known and the jury gets to be told, explicitly so they will pile on the compensatory damages

It's compensation for not being able to dole out punitive damages! That works, right?