Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/oMREyZR.mp4

I had a nice day out in perfectly good seaside weather, lovely swim in the middle of a fog bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Before hitting play, for a split second I saw the ‘black vests over white shirts carrying big sticks’ and thought it was a load of coppers

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

D&D Mods touching this thread is always dumb as hell. Wow, an unserious argument in UKMT? Pretty sure we all need to get probated then.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes between the options for suspicious british sartorial habits I would say that I did not see anyone doing blackface and they were not orangemen or filth, so it appears to be a perfectly acceptable troop of people wearing waistcoats and bells and dancing around, a normal morris.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

forkboy84 posted:

D&D Mods touching this thread is always dumb as hell. Wow, an unserious argument in UKMT? Pretty sure we all need to get probated then.

mods knew

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Terry Pratchett's: "Ninja Morris Men from New Ankh" was a line in one of his books that always made me smile. :)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

forkboy84 posted:

Ordaaaahhhhhh

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

Before hitting play, for a split second I saw the ‘black vests over white shirts carrying big sticks’ and thought it was a load of coppers

I also thought this.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

forkboy84 posted:

the ukmt is like an independent city state, endlessly buffeted by the political winds in greater d&d

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

josh04 posted:

the ukmt is like an independent city state, endlessly buffeted by the political winds in greater d&d

My understanding was that the broken brained american threads need the really dumb debate club rules and the other national threads have their own moderators. There is literally nothing wrong with the post that got probated.

Why did that post get a probation?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

That was "long time occasional ukmt poster" thoughts, not "insider mod knowledge thoughts", sorry. I edit out an untagged Farscape spoiler once every three months, I wouldn't and can't speak to how the D&D mods see it.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

Was it not the old joke that the IRA bomb on central Manchester did more to rejuvenate the shopping district than years of poo poo council planning? It got them a Selfrdges and a Harvey Nicks.

Is it a joke if it's true?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Wait the man who's a spider is now a man who's a spider who's also a cop now? Blerg.

(vibeogaems)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Ah yes, with the threat of days of powercuts in the New Year, the 1970s "3-day week" and "The blitz spirit" gets a mention:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/14/house-freezing-life-blackouts-1970s-britain

They forget to mention that back then, many people were paid cash in an envelope at the end of the week, there were banks in every town, post offices in every village, there were council offices in every town not just in a 'county town' and shops kept store rooms with stuff in them.

If the powercuts affect the internet people won't get paid, businesses won't get paid, supermarkets running on 'just in time' won't get deliveries, kids 'working from home' won't be able to do homework (a lot of homework is set online now anyway), people with 'walking around the house' phones (what IS the name for those things? the ones with base stations) won't be able to use phones blah blah.

(I was in my teens back then remember it - candles and so on, excuses not to do homework.)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sea of Thieves looking pretty good after some patches

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Parody_PM/status/1558726470465462272

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

serious gaylord posted:

My understanding was that the broken brained american threads need the really dumb debate club rules and the other national threads have their own moderators. There is literally nothing wrong with the post that got probated.

Why did that post get a probation?

I think the earlier version of that post might have had a very racially charged P word on it, with no *'s or anything. And that part has since beeb removed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

people with 'walking around the house' phones (what IS the name for those things? the ones with base stations) won't be able to use phones blah blah.
Cordless phones. You used to be able to hear the whole street on their phone with a basic kit radio with the older versions of things, so my dad refused to have one.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Cordless phones. You used to be able to hear the whole street on their phone with a basic kit radio with the older versions of things, so my dad refused to have one.

Back in the 60s and 70s we used to have things called 'party lines' where you shared a number with neighbours. If you picked up the phone you could listen in on the neighbours' phone calls if they happened to be online when you were.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ah yes, with the threat of days of powercuts in the New Year, the 1970s "3-day week" and "The blitz spirit" gets a mention:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/14/house-freezing-life-blackouts-1970s-britain

They forget to mention that back then, many people were paid cash in an envelope at the end of the week, there were banks in every town, post offices in every village, there were council offices in every town not just in a 'county town' and shops kept store rooms with stuff in them.

If the powercuts affect the internet people won't get paid, businesses won't get paid, supermarkets running on 'just in time' won't get deliveries, kids 'working from home' won't be able to do homework (a lot of homework is set online now anyway), people with 'walking around the house' phones (what IS the name for those things? the ones with base stations) won't be able to use phones blah blah.

(I was in my teens back then remember it - candles and so on, excuses not to do homework.)

And your prescriptions won't arrive to the pharmacy from the doctor. And if they do - if the doctor prints off all the hundreds of prescriptions on paper and physically brings them - the stock for them won't get ordered, so good loving luck.

Everything is just-in-time and internet dependent. We do not have storage space for medicines and we are not supposed to keep more than one average days' worth of anything on-site. Because most of our standard prescriptions now go away to be assembled centrally. Which needs the internet to happen.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

HopperUK posted:

And your prescriptions won't arrive to the pharmacy from the doctor. And if they do - if the doctor prints off all the hundreds of prescriptions on paper and physically brings them - the stock for them won't get ordered, so good loving luck.

Everything is just-in-time and internet dependent. We do not have storage space for medicines and we are not supposed to keep more than one average days' worth of anything on-site. Because most of our standard prescriptions now go away to be assembled centrally. Which needs the internet to happen.

Yep and cash registers and card machines won't work.... this won't be like the 1970s at all. 'Twill be worse.

Used to have lots of powercuts in Cairo so I had a house full of rechargeable lamps - they were quite cheap there. Checked them out over here, and rather expensive in comparison. I was looking at solar powered lights but didn't see anything that would give you enough light to live a normal life by during the winter evenings!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 14, 2022

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Only Kindness posted:

Wait the man who's a spider is now a man who's a spider who's also a cop now? Blerg.

(vibeogaems)

What did people think he was doing to people he caught? Eating them?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was looking at solar powered lights but didn't see anything that would give you enough light to live a normal life by during the winter evenings!

Guavanaut posted:

I should get my big oil lamp back up and ready for the winter

Interesting thing about those is that the original lighting oil they were designed to burn (the proper 1920s lamps, not the modern reproductions) was a cleaned up version of heating oil that was similar to diesel. Since at least Euro 5 (2009), the diesel you get at a fuel pump is now far cleaner than even that original lighting oil was. So I can just get a big can full of it from any petrol station before they too fall over.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.

Interesting thing about those is that the original lighting oil they were designed to burn (the proper 1920s lamps, not the modern reproductions) was a cleaned up version of heating oil that was similar to diesel. Since at least Euro 5 (2009), the diesel you get at a fuel pump is now far cleaner than even that original lighting oil was. So I can just get a big can full of it from any petrol station before they too fall over.

I don't think an oil lamp would be suitable for my flat which is tiny and only has 2 windows, so insufficient ventilation one of which is small and I plan to have them pretty much covered with 'triple glazing' over the winter. It's bad enough when I put tikka masala sauce on my zombie bean - there is an extractor fan in the windowless kitchen but it works hard to eliminate smells.

And while I'm on the subject, I've had a few items which have a black 'rubber' casing - small lamps, a pair of small USB speakers, and after a while they start to feel really sticky (no rude thoughts thanks) as the rubber degrades so I'm trying to avoid items with casings made of that stuff.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 14, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

I think the earlier version of that post might have had a very racially charged P word on it, with no *'s or anything. And that part has since beeb removed.
Presume the mod in question just saw the post out of context via report and thought (ironically enough) that the poster was being serious.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're lacking in English irony.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't think an oil lamp would be suitable for my flat which is tiny and only has 2 windows, so insufficient ventilation one of which is small and I plan to have them pretty much covered with 'triple glazing' over the winter. It's bad enough when I put tikka masala sauce on my zombie bean - there is an extractor fan in the windowless kitchen but it works hard to eliminate smells.
It does depend a lot on the lamp. The 20s/30s ones you can find at farm sales had to compete against gas and electric and so there are some that are very clean burning, and according to the marketing of the time do not even explode!

But yes you should have some draught (not drought like we have at the moment, but English is a made up language) to use one. Old houses have more of that than they need.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And while I'm on the subject, I've had a few items which have a black 'rubber' casing - small lamps, a pair of small USB speakers, and after a while they start to feel really sticky (no rude thoughts thanks) as the rubber degrades so I'm trying to avoid items with casings made of that stuff.
I hate that stuff. It's usually some kind of foam plastic like polyurethane that hydrolyzes over time and turns to goop. I've heard that you can use baking soda and water paste to fix it, but chemically speaking that's just taking a very small part of the surface off and possibly, depending on the exact composition, providing some alkaline protection, but alkaline hydrolysis can also accelerate it so big pinch of salt soda.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yep and cash registers and card machines won't work.... this won't be like the 1970s at all. 'Twill be worse.

Used to have lots of powercuts in Cairo so I had a house full of rechargeable lamps - they were quite cheap there. Checked them out over here, and rather expensive in comparison. I was looking at solar powered lights but didn't see anything that would give you enough light to live a normal life by during the winter evenings!

It'll create an interesting, though not in a good way, quandary for previously office-based companies that largely switched to WFH. Staff working at home may not be able to afford to do so any more given the increased costs of running things all day if you're not at work. Except realistically if things get really bad it's not like public transport is going to be running regularly whether through strikes or shortages (and for smaller companies, they may not be able to afford the energy bills of running an office anyway). It's already going to create some big divides in those kind of companies where you've got well-paid people in nice well-insulated warm homes having zoom meetings with people who are sitting shivering with their coat on at home.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It'll create an interesting, though not in a good way, quandary for previously office-based companies that largely switched to WFH. Staff working at home may not be able to afford to do so any more given the increased costs of running things all day if you're not at work. Except realistically if things get really bad it's not like public transport is going to be running regularly whether through strikes or shortages (and for smaller companies, they may not be able to afford the energy bills of running an office anyway). It's already going to create some big divides in those kind of companies where you've got well-paid people in nice well-insulated warm homes having zoom meetings with people who are sitting shivering with their coat on at home.

Yes this is something people forget: those at home all day whether WFH, unemployed, disabled, pensioners use far more electricity at home than those out at a workplace all day especially in cooler weather. The more static they are, particularly if mobility difficulties, the more they'll need the heating. There's also the cost of coffee and tea and kettle boiling, and microwaving your lunch that is often covered in work places (though not always!).

I used to share an office with a bloke who during the winter would phone his wife, who was stuck at home with two small kids all day, at 3pm and say 'you can put the heating on now'.
No wonder she divorced him in the end.

Another issue with the WFH one is the tax claim you could put in if your work asked you to WFH last year (albeit it wasn't much) is of no benefit to those not earning enough to pay tax eg yours truly on a part-time contract (paid 15 hours pw despite working considerably more - I shan't digress.) - this is the problem with all these schemes that either give credit via the tax system but only if you pay tax in the first place, or through the benefits system - there are a LOT of people in dire straits who are not entitled to anything via benefits, let alone issues such as weekly paid who might have a '5 week month' which knocks their benefits back.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 14, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Say what you will about Economy 7 and storage heaters full of defective housebricks where you fine tuned the night dials with a big old penny, at least they didn't answer to patriarchal home heating tyrants.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I remember the storage heater we had at my first job, someone accidentally put it on one night in high summer.

Horrific that day was.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

All our heating in the communal areas of our flats is storage heaters and also a lot of the flats still have the storage heaters that were put in when the flats were built.
They're over 30 years old now.
Yes, they work, but investing in new ones with more controls would probably save us a lot of dosh over 5-10 years - quite probably - but as most of the current residents will have popped their clogs or moved into care homes in that time span there's no benefit to them to forking out for an 'improvement'.

I had a storage heater in my flat in Walthamstow and replaced it with a new one. It was pretty good.

NB we have home heating tyrants here.... every October and March/April the Storage Heater Wars start. Someone decides to put them on. Then someone who thinks that we should all live like monks in draughty cells sneaks around at 10pm and turns them off. Then someone else sneaks round at midnight and puts them back on again.
Anyway, by careful monitoring of our electricity usage over the past 2 years* I can safely say that our 9 storage heaters use approx 70 units per night between them and are by far the biggest contributor to our annual electricity costs even with the Economy 7.

*why yes, I do have a spreadsheet for that and take readings every week or so to send to SSE.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 14, 2022

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was looking at solar powered lights but didn't see anything that would give you enough light to live a normal life by during the winter evenings!

The solar garden lights are designed around really low power output LEDs, a really shite solar panel and a handful of small shite batteries

If you have a good place for it, a small 12V solar panel, charge controller and suitable battery will collect and store a lot more energy, and there's a lot of options for good 12V LED lighting because most domestic stuff is 12V then converted to mains, you just skip the converted to mains part

It will also let you charge by USB- most charge controllers have 2x USB charger ports, otherwise 12V to USB is easy and cheap because 12V is what car cigarette lighter sockets output, which then opens a whole whacky world of things to plug into your very own powergrid

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Issuing a correction to my previous post regarding the comedian Jerry Sadowicz. You do not under any circumstances gotta hand it to him.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Issuing a correction to my previous post regarding the comedian Jerry Sadowicz. You do not under any circumstances gotta hand it to him.

It was pretty impressive, I had never heard of this guy before he got cancelled.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
All I know about Sadowitz is he was in the video for Ebenezer Goode and even in those days the NME or possibly Melody Maker called him Jerry 'i-can't-be-funny-so-I'll-be-offensive-instead' Sadowitz"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Isomermaid posted:

All I know about Sadowitz is he was in the video for Ebenezer Goode and even in those days the NME or possibly Melody Maker called him Jerry 'i-can't-be-funny-so-I'll-be-offensive-instead' Sadowitz"

Sadly that isn't true. Sadowitz can be funny when he wants to be, and he's got good patter in his magic act. He just wants to be offensive.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
he should be more like that funnyman michael mcintyres instead, he says things like "arargh packing suitcases, so many things to take on holiday vacations, sometimes i think i need a suitcase for all my suitcases!!!!!!!!!!!!!" like that, with his floppy hair and everything hehehehehehehheehheehhehe

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
or araruagh doing the hoovering, can i buy a hoover for my hoover?!??!?!?!?? lol!!!!!! top notch laughs for all the family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hootels, you knoo, who here's been to a hootel?