Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Crashbee posted:

I would also like to know as I have a FS game coming up this weekend. Just bought a printing of the Darkest Dawn and Galaxy in Flames fan expansions, the latter complete with minis, and this'll be the first time taking them out.

:eyepop:

Do you have links to these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Can't you also just take out the events you really dislike? Sure it alters the balance but enjoyment > balance

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Has anyone played with the Dune 2019 expansions, btw? I'm thinking about getting the Ix+Tleilaxu expack because I liked them in the book, but I'm wondering if CHOAM+Richese synergise better with the base factions. (Or a mix of both expacks and the base game is best, even)

So yeah, any info on whether there's a stand-out expack or if one/both aren't worth bothering with, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Major Isoor posted:

Has anyone played with the Dune 2019 expansions, btw? I'm thinking about getting the Ix+Tleilaxu expack because I liked them in the book, but I'm wondering if CHOAM+Richese synergise better with the base factions. (Or a mix of both expacks and the base game is best, even)

So yeah, any info on whether there's a stand-out expack or if one/both aren't worth bothering with, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Someone in this thread reviewed both xpacs along with the base game: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

I want to say it was mellonbread but I can't remember for sure, & I'm using the iOS app so I can't search easily. Search for Tleilaxu & CHOAM or Richese and you'll find the respective entries.

As I recall both were sort of a mixed bag, but don't take my word for it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What was the aftermath of the whole incident with broken token? Like, did anything in that company's structure change? Were there any changes internally or consequences for the CEO's actions or is the CEO still around and profiting from the company?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Admiralty Flag posted:

Someone in this thread reviewed both xpacs along with the base game: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

I want to say it was mellonbread but I can't remember for sure, & I'm using the iOS app so I can't search easily. Search for Tleilaxu & CHOAM or Richese and you'll find the respective entries.

As I recall both were sort of a mixed bag, but don't take my word for it.

Hmm, yeah interesting - thanks for that! Seems like some things from each take my fancy, while other aspects are a bit 'meh'. Still though, might be cool - since others in my group might like the things I don't care about. I'll have to check further, seems like

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

FirstAidKite posted:

What was the aftermath of the whole incident with broken token? Like, did anything in that company's structure change? Were there any changes internally or consequences for the CEO's actions or is the CEO still around and profiting from the company?

I don't believe anything has changed recently. As far as I know, he stepped down as CEO but is still the owner, and fired a bunch of people when he lost lucrative contracts. This website says that he is the Key Principal, aka the Guarantor, which I think means he's the owner as far as lenders are concerned, but I don't actually speak business so I might be wrong about that. Overall, it's a private company so I don't imagine there will be many more changes publicly unless a new story breaks, until he sells / goes out of business.

For anyone who may have missed it, last year the CEO of The Broken Token at the time (cw: sexual assault, sexual abuse) faced credible allegations of sexual assault and abuse.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Mjolnerd posted:

:eyepop:

Do you have links to these?

If you mean the files themselves, they're all on BGG. People seem to be regularly organising group buys on there and I signed up for one. Took seven months but the quality is top-notch.

Galaxy in Flames:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2628833/v31-expansion-faction-completed-galaxy-flames/page/1
Darkest Dawn:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2395420/forbidden-stars-darkest-dawn

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Anyone here played Dominion recently? I busted it out yesterday and had a grand old time. I don't see it discussed much.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Anyone here played Dominion recently? I busted it out yesterday and had a grand old time. I don't see it discussed much.

It's still my favorite game, and I taught my 6 year old hire to play this weekend. She says it's her favorite "winning and losing game" because even if you lose it's still fun to build your deck.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played couple of games of SI in the past few days. Volcano and Ocean unfortunately didn't work well together and we couldn't deal with the invaders fast enough, although we were one city away from victory.

Decided to do a solo to try out Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds, going for Habsburg level 2, and the Spirit was alright, but I got extremely lucky with Major Power draws (the two on the left):

Just dumping out a whole lot of Wilds every single turn, and Keeper has enough energy economy to be able to just recall -> play again and again. Unrelenting Growth also meant that I was getting sacred sites to use Towering Wrath against, and any infiltration into my lands was dealt with by my innate. This is the look of the board at the end of the game:

Pretty fun spirit, but yeah, got lucky with those draws, even though there was a moment where the Habsburg had like 6 towns in a single area, which was pretty scary. I was one 8+ ravage away from losing the entire game.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Tekopo posted:

Pretty fun spirit, but yeah, got lucky with those draws, even though there was a moment where the Habsburg had like 6 towns in a single area, which was pretty scary. I was one 8+ ravage away from losing the entire game.
I think this is one of the things I like so much about SI. Can you get your engine moving fast enough and can you stall the invaders sufficiently to 1) stay ahead of the stage 1-2-3 escalation and 2) can you do it without taking too much blight? It's like a race where your opponent is accelerating as well. (Nothing new to co-op games but I just love the way it's implemented in SI.)

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It's ruined pretty much every other deckbuilder for me because ten minutes in to trying them I inevitably think "I would rather be playing Dominion"

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Maybe it's because I played the crap out of it for a few years but I have no particular desire to play it again, and also all the new cards are confusing and scary. I wouldn't say no to a game, but it hasn't come up.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

Maybe it's because I played the crap out of it for a few years but I have no particular desire to play it again, and also all the new cards are confusing and scary. I wouldn't say no to a game, but it hasn't come up.

Yeah, same. It's a great game, but I also OD'd on it a little, some years back. I should really play it again though, at some point

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Mode 7 posted:

It's ruined pretty much every other deckbuilder for me because ten minutes in to trying them I inevitably think "I would rather be playing Dominion"

The only deckbuilder I haven't had that feeling with was Slay the Spire.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
At this point, I have no desire to play a deckbuilder where the goal is to build a deck. I've become enamored with deckbuilders where your deck does something.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

CitizenKeen posted:

At this point, I have no desire to play a deckbuilder where the goal is to build a deck. I've become enamored with deckbuilders where your deck does something.

Valley of the Kings is a hoot and your deck serves the purpose of filling your tomb with the makings of a comfortable afterlife suitable for a pharaoh of your high station

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

canyoneer posted:

Valley of the Kings is a hoot and your deck serves the purpose of filling your tomb with the makings of a comfortable afterlife suitable for a pharaoh of your high station

Aww drat it was on sale at my flgs and I passed. :(

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Dominion also has a separate thread on SA, but it's not very active.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah, when there's an update, you'll see a flurry of activity as the Dominion freaks ponder the cards. Other that that, there's not much the say. It's Dominion, pretty much everyone knows Dominion, a new expansion isn't going to fundamentally change it, so unless you still love Dominion why bother talking about it? I do try and recommend it when people ask for recommendations of a deckbuilder though, as it's still the best.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

canyoneer posted:

Dale of Merchants does the same thing. They are both great!

In Trains you are also building a railway on a board with your deck. Kinda like Dominion meets Ticket to Ride. I like the addition of a board, makes it more game-y feeling.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Not a pure deck builder, because there's also dice drafting and placement, but I absolutely love Taverns of Tiefenthal.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Taverns might be one of those games where they left all of the fun stuff as later modules because the one time I played it (with rule-book suggested "first game" set up), it seemed utterly pointless.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

The only deckbuilder I haven't had that feeling with was Slay the Spire.

Definitely was just referring to tabletop games cause Slay the Spire absolutely owns.

canyoneer posted:

I do enjoy Valley of the Kings as well, it helps that it's pretty portable so I can just throw it in a bag when my wife and I are travelling.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I agree that it's hard to beat Dominion. It's clean, it's simple, it's mechanically sound, it's the first and the best. Lots of games became "deckbuilders with extra stuff" but a lot of those just aren't interesting enough to justify all the faff.

The main exceptions to that that I have really enjoyed is 2-4p Clank and 2p-only Star Realms. The latter has the advantage of being small and cheap at MSRP $15. Both of these games have the same issues of most 'Center Market Deckbuilders' where someone can just get better stuff than you and win. In Clank, I feel that the introduction of monsters (meaning there are basically two market currencies, Skill and Swords) mitigates that somewhat, and in Star Realms, it's quick and cheap enough to forgive it.

Neither is likely 'thread approved' and I'd rather play Dominion most days, but they are worth trying. Star Realms has (or at least had) a free (dlc supported) app to play against an AI.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Clank! more like Clunk! That's right, I'm the thread and I'm disapproving.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I genuinely enjoyed Clank! In Space!, though it's got a few too many rules for what it is.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

i think the only deckbuilder that felt like a pure deckbuilder but still managed to do something different and also have a different dynamic of deckbuilding that I found interesting was Eminent Domain.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mr. Squishy posted:

Taverns might be one of those games where they left all of the fun stuff as later modules because the one time I played it (with rule-book suggested "first game" set up), it seemed utterly pointless.

I enjoy the base game enough but yeah the extra modules and the expansion add a lot more interesting stuff to do, with guest rooms, wine cellar, entertainers, priests and stuff

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I kinda get annoyed at games where they repackage the base game as a more or less feature-incomplete version of the game, and then quickly release an expansion to actually make the game whole. Eminent Domain as well as Spirit Island are examples of this as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mode 7 posted:

Definitely was just referring to tabletop games cause Slay the Spire absolutely owns.

Good news, there's a Slay the Spire boardgame coming next year. I've playtested it, it's very Spire.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Tekopo posted:

I kinda get annoyed at games where they repackage the base game as a more or less feature-incomplete version of the game, and then quickly release an expansion to actually make the game whole. Eminent Domain as well as Spirit Island are examples of this as well.

In case anyone reading this thinks Tek is talking about Taverns, Taverns has a lot of stuff in the base game, but has a modular set-up and a legacy-lite staggered introduction of rules.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Tekopo posted:

i think the only deckbuilder that felt like a pure deckbuilder but still managed to do something different and also have a different dynamic of deckbuilding that I found interesting was Eminent Domain.

I quite enjoyed that but man the whole 'if you do the technology strategy your turns last forever as you have to go through a huge pile of cards looking at them all to decide what you want, if you don't your turns take 30 seconds' was rough. Presumably it improves once everyone's memorised all the tech cards....

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

In case anyone reading this thinks Tek is talking about Taverns, Taverns has a lot of stuff in the base game, but has a modular set-up and a legacy-lite staggered introduction of rules.
Oh right, I haven't actually played Taverns, just assume that it was the case for that game as well. My bad.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

What's the Deckbuilder where you'r wizards trying to defend your wizard city from the forces of entropy, and one of the gimmicks is you never shuffle your deck, and get some amount of choice on how you discard cards (you can keep spells in readied slots, things like that) so you have to consider the turns 3, 4 times down the line. I enjoyed that.
Is it called Aeon's End? I'm not looking it up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

What's the Deckbuilder where you'r wizards trying to defend your wizard city from the forces of entropy, and one of the gimmicks is you never shuffle your deck, and get some amount of choice on how you discard cards (you can keep spells in readied slots, things like that) so you have to consider the turns 3, 4 times down the line. I enjoyed that.

Yes, that's Aeon's End.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mr. Squishy posted:

Not having played Aeon's End, that sounds right, at least the not shuffling part.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Played some Wonderlands War the other day, 3 players just. It's a decent game, 3 rounds each split into 2 parts.

First half you draft 4 cards which let you put dudes on the map and/or chips in your bag. Sometimes with a cost of some negative points. The person with the most negative points goes a bit mad and gets a madness chip into their bag (these are bad).

Then there's a war phase where you fight over the areas on the board, everyone present in a region fights and combat is essentially Quacks, you pull chips from your bag and they add to your strength Madness chips kill your dudes. Person with the most strength in a region wins, gets some points and gets to build a castle. Castles give you strength in a region and end game points. You don't get to refill your bag between fights though, you only get your chips back after you pull your 4th madness chip so you do need to pick your battles.

Theres another little mechanic of hammering some of the chips you pull into slots on your player board which unlock your characters abilities and upgrades.

So mechanically it's quite fun but at 3 players it felt a bit sparse and really needs 4 or 5 to embrace the chaos that the game is trying to evoke. But I can't help thinking that at that number of players its going to take absolutely ages to play when you think everyone has abilities to trigger and chips with abilities that happen every pull, checking if you go mad etc. 3 players is maybe 90 mins once you know what's up, 30 mins a round. I could see going to 5 players adding an hour to that at least. So more like 2 1/2 - 3hr play time which is quite long for a fairly chaotic and random game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Eminent Domain as well as Spirit Island are examples of this as well.

Eh, as somebody who recently got into SI and has a shipment of Jagged Earth on the way, the base game is a complete enough package that I didn’t feel like somebody cynically held back the fun stuff.

I get where you are coming from because I sometimes feel the same - nobody likes being milked for cash and it is sometimes obvious that there are “empty slots” being left in a game for future expansions. But then the argument kind of boils down to “people shouldn’t make good expansions which enrich the game because then I feel like I must buy them” ¯\_(ツ)_/¯