Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I brought Love Letter on a trip recently and it was real easy to pick up on the first play. Mechanically it’s a bit limited with only 2 players though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Has anyone ever played in a TTRPG where all, most, or many of the dice rolls and mechanics were processed by the GM, so that you didn't know things like your hit points, skills, etc, and engaged with the game based purely or largely on in character knowledge? If so, what did you think of it, was there anything in particular you liked or disliked, and was there anything you very much wanted to roll yourself, like perhaps the essential combat dice?
Yeah I've been in Ars Magica games (hi Mors) which rolled like this and I found it quite enjoyable on a mechanical end, though a lot of that was probably GM interface and striving to meet stated desires with what was in the system, which cannot be taken for granted.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mcmagic posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a fun casual 2 player boxed card game. I was thinking something like sushi go but that is better with 3+....
Fungi
Jaipur
Village Green plays good with 2 e: though they badly overestimate the benefit of lawns to the local ecology
Star Realms. Cthulhu Realms also good.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 15, 2022

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I had a GM back in college who ran a home brew system, which we didn't know, where he'd roll 3d10 and you got to pick 1 die and make it either 10s or 1s/ So you had some input but.... not really.

It worked out. The players, self included, liked not having to do math or make game-y decisions. It made for faster play, since you didn't have to wait on people adding up bonuses or figuring optimal placement on the battlemat.

There is a very good chance that the home brew system in question was "on a high roll they succeed, on a low roll they don't" with completely subjective judgement calls about what that actually meant in practice. And that's not far off how some GMs roll in a more traditional game, you look at the roll more than the rules.

In my PbtA Traveller playtest, the players had traced their main opposition to a control room in a mining facility. THey gathered up some tool, set up a floor above the control room, and one of the PCs was going to rely on rolling good with +Cool to cut through the floor and drop into the midst of the bad guys as a surprise attack. As a GM I'm thinking "great, 30 minutes into the first session and we have a TPK cued up".

This forum's own Aldante Fax then proceeded to roll a double six for +Cool on Grand Entrance.

If it's stupid and it works...

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

mcmagic posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a fun casual 2 player boxed card game. I was thinking something like sushi go but that is better with 3+....

Tides of Madness or 7 Wonders Duel for 2 player drafting

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mllaneza posted:

I had a GM back in college who ran a home brew system, which we didn't know, where he'd roll 3d10 and you got to pick 1 die and make it either 10s or 1s/ So you had some input but.... not really.

It worked out. The players, self included, liked not having to do math or make game-y decisions. It made for faster play, since you didn't have to wait on people adding up bonuses or figuring optimal placement on the battlemat.

There is a very good chance that the home brew system in question was "on a high roll they succeed, on a low roll they don't" with completely subjective judgement calls about what that actually meant in practice. And that's not far off how some GMs roll in a more traditional game, you look at the roll more than the rules.

In my PbtA Traveller playtest, the players had traced their main opposition to a control room in a mining facility. THey gathered up some tool, set up a floor above the control room, and one of the PCs was going to rely on rolling good with +Cool to cut through the floor and drop into the midst of the bad guys as a surprise attack. As a GM I'm thinking "great, 30 minutes into the first session and we have a TPK cued up".

This forum's own Aldante Fax then proceeded to roll a double six for +Cool on Grand Entrance.

If it's stupid and it works...

It was an awesome moment.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey everyone!

Over the weekend, admins and your TG mods all quickly agreed that Podima has been an excellent IK for The Game Room for years and really should be a moderator. So, now Podima is a mod for TGR, and will act as a back-up/fill-in mod for TG as and when needed. This was long overdue IMO. Podima will continue to be the first contact for TGR issues, but now he has access to the reports queue and the mod chat forum it'll be much easier to coordinate. Podima can also act in TG, and it'll be good to have coverage when both Antivehicular! and myself are away or busy.

Thanks Podima!

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Leperflesh posted:

Hey everyone!

Over the weekend, admins and your TG mods all quickly agreed that Podima has been an excellent IK for The Game Room for years and really should be a moderator. So, now Podima is a mod for TGR, and will act as a back-up/fill-in mod for TG as and when needed. This was long overdue IMO. Podima will continue to be the first contact for TGR issues, but now he has access to the reports queue and the mod chat forum it'll be much easier to coordinate. Podima can also act in TG, and it'll be good to have coverage when both Antivehicular! and myself are away or busy.

Thanks Podima!

Congrats and also my sympathies!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
:toot: Good mods are important, congratulations and a preemptive bless you.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I am so sorry Podima.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
More like Modima

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Who are the troublemakers in TG? Can't remember the last time I saw a probe

and NO that's not an invitation for an irony probe

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Who is Podima

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Congrats Podima :toot:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Congratulations to Podima, I hope the SCC deck is nice to you now that you've revealed.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ninjoatse.cx posted:

That just means you need to roll higher on your perception check.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

if you need to ask it's you

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's me. I'm the bad boy of trad games.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Cheers folks!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Who are the troublemakers in TG?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In all seriousness obviously I'm not going to call out "troublemakers" but also compared to a lot of other subforums on SA, TG has a pretty great bunch of posters and has only rare issues. Coupla threads that require regular attention but I see the volume of reports and issues coming from the politics forums, gbs, etc. and we're good.

Erring on the side of more mods vs. fewer is best because it reduces average response time and makes it less impactful when one of us is on vacation, plus we have mod team discussions on thorny issues and an additional perspective or two is usually a good thing.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Someone from a game company I'd never heard of is asking me how much for sponsorship or collaboration on my wargaming blog that does about 3-5 posts a month. How much money should I ask for.

I can't imagine it's serious, but now I'm wondering how much is pay to post out there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's just a Banehammer, Michael. How much could it cost? Ten dollars?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Comstar posted:

Someone from a game company I'd never heard of is asking me how much for sponsorship or collaboration on my wargaming blog that does about 3-5 posts a month. How much money should I ask for.

I can't imagine it's serious, but now I'm wondering how much is pay to post out there.

Tell them to roll percentile d10 twice, then consult table 32A.

More seriously, game companies you have never heard of are extremely unlikely to be full of cash.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Comstar posted:

note: I am coming from a litmag/politics quarterly perspective

"10c per word" is a decent guideline for writer pay

http://whopayswriters.com/#/results

"reporting" tends to involve a substantial premium which i doubt you'll be able to command, and i'd say asking for 10c/w is more like, them fully commissioning pieces from you rather than collabs or sponsorships. There's frankly not really any lower limit on sponsorships other than what you'd feel insulted by or not want to be associated with (i.e. don't take sponsorships from the Klan). If they want to throw you 15 bucks a month for you to put "sponsored by Bob's Gamebox" on your about page who am I to argue.

So work down from there I guess? I wouldn't say go below maybe 5c/w cuz at that point its just kind of getting unethical.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I never thought I'd see your smiling face again, Sammy.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

"Actually, the thing people don't understand about 4th Edition is..."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

He's the source of all good (and evil) in the hobby.

e-

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 18, 2022

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What is the source of this image? Tineye has 0 results.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Foolster41 posted:

What is the source of this image? Tineye has 0 results.

http://robheinsoo.blogspot.com/2013/09/heart-of-gold-13-true-ways-update.html

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Do not repeat lies. That is a portrait of SA forums user Quarex, everyone knows this.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Halloween Jack posted:

Do not repeat lies. That is a portrait of SA forums user Quarex, everyone knows this.

Don't act like you and Quarex aren't best friends.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

What is a good 6mm miniature game to get into that has fun rules and stuff? I was thinking warhammer epic scale maybe, but also where can you buy the cheap recasts for an epic scale army?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

EpicScales on Etsy has some Orks at least.

https://www.trolls.cz/ has Guard and Necrons in 6mm.

I've done business with both, very nice castings.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Monte Cook's "BitD but flashbacks are literal and in-character" came out into preview. It's practically a box of wasted potential.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

hyphz posted:

Monte Cook's ... wasted potential.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I have yet to see evidence of the potential

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hyphz posted:

Monte Cook's "BitD but flashbacks are literal and in-character" came out into preview. It's practically a box of wasted potential.

Are there some reviews out for it? Monte Cook trying to do a Blades type game sounds fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What’s it called, even?