Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

As far as how the starter is looking, it looks friggin great. Day 1 buy for me so that I can look at it longingly and wish that my friends would actually play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Thanks, would I be wrong in assuming that the smaller number of models in favor of terrain puts it more in line of skirmish level battles over the mass battle level?

I need to dig out the gondorian warrior and fellowship boxes I bought like 20 years ago and kind of forgot about.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Apologies, wasn't sure where to post this, didnt seem a fit for the 40k 9th thread.

My friends and I decided to play a game of 2nd ed on my Birthday, so we broke out some Orks and Genestealer cultists. To make things a bit quicker we kept the points low and used a 4x4 play area. Armies were wysiwyg, with a termite as a proxy hellhound for the GSC, and a Limo as a proxy Rhino. We did without psychics, as I felt it might unbalance things in the GSC favour.

We split each army in two and had a 2 v 2, we kept missions secret, Orks had engage and destroy, and GSC had Dawn Raid. GSC had Traitor strategy card, Orks had Crack shot.

The GSC deployed first, and Orks won First turn easily. most of the first two turns were a lot of running up and getting in buildings and fortifications. With both Ghaz and the patriarch positioning themselves to help with any Leadership problems.

A well placed Pulsa Rokkit managed to knock over almost three units for a turn

The cult limo with Acolytes drove up, while the Genestealers ran up unprotected, a very risky thing to do in front of an Ork gun line, which had formed on the plateau in front of them, which had both Ork boyz and Kommandos lurking about, and Ghaz and some boarboyz hidden behind a building, The Orks managed to kill all but two Genestealers with massed firepower and Frag grenades, The hybrids managed to kill and break the Ork boyz on the hill with laspistols, and Ghaz and the Boarboyz charged into the Hybrids.

The Boar Boyz are great on the charge, and fairly tough due to the cavalry bonus, Makari was eviscerated by a Hybrid, and with his Death, the Orks luck began to run out, as the two remaining genestealers killed everything they were in base to base with, but leaving two boar boys alive.

The orks decided the best course of action was to flamethrower the close combat, even with randomising hits, this killed both remaining genestealers, two hybrids and a boarboy, with one hybrid rolling around on fire. Ghaz dispatched the remains and consolidated behind a building

The Hellhound was maybe the wrong choice at this points level, it managed to kill huge swathes of anything the template touched, which then also shot forward frying more boyz, its ultimate mission was to get into the deployment area which it soon achieved, somehow dodging Krak missiles and Heavy plasma guns firing on Full power

The Battlewagon with Meganobs had bad luck all game, failing to shoot down a Rhino twice even with crackshot!strategy , with the single crew member somehow not dying to the crew area exploding, so they wheeled about in the last turn to shoot at the brood brothers guarding the Patriarch. Unfortunately there was a gun line of Hybrids, who shot the Battlewagon with a Multimelta, vaporising everyone on board instantly.

Victory Points were close, Dawn raid netting the GSC the win they failed to wipe out many squads until the last minute Meganobs kill, the Orks had managed to wipe out several squads, the Genestealer squad being hugely expensive. GSC 7vp vs Orks with 5vp

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Happy birthday! This brought me back to being 15 again.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Cheers, I hope within a year to be playing Titanicus, Mordheim, old Necromunda, 2nd ed 40k and space crusade and maybe kill team on the reg.

I am working on painting all my space crusade guys.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/15/take-a-spin-on-the-escher-cutter-a-lightning-fast-jetbike-for-when-the-floor-really-is-lava/
Podracing done well 😀
Would love to have it for my nuns in 40k as well.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

I for one look forward to the inevitable Necromunda Titan model. 🤦

Necromunda a grim dark "skirmish" game.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Indolent Bastard posted:

I for one look forward to the inevitable Necromunda Titan model. 🤦

Necromunda a grim dark "skirmish" game.

I really dont get this

Well how else are you supposed to make a skirmish game going really fast down the highway?

Its the same amount of models just on jet bikes and rad mad max poo poo. Its not like they released a squad of bikes that all move and fire as one.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Hihohe posted:

I really dont get this

Well how else are you supposed to make a skirmish game going really fast down the highway?

Its the same amount of models just on jet bikes and rad mad max poo poo. Its not like they released a squad of bikes that all move and fire as one.

You aren't supposed to make your skirmish game go really fast down the highway. That's a different game.

The models are amazing. The issue I take is the inevitable upscaling of everything. How am I supposed to play a game on multi-tiered terrain with four levels when some joker shows up on a dune buggy?

Everyone is free to play whatever games they want to play I just get exhausted at the meta of continued upsizing.

It's like looking at earlier editions of 40K. The number of models needed to field an army is laughable compared to what is now expected nowadays.

It's okay, it's just a side effect of getting old. You want your model smaller and your games smaller. It's a fact.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
why do the jetbikes have guns? i have less of a problem with the vehicles per se than the fact that they're all as heavily armed as equivalent 40K vehicles.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wait wait wait, I've been assuming this is a distinct sub set of Necromunda, like you both agree to play Necromunda: Road Rash. Right??

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I guess kinda but not really. Its not a subset but current season of Necromunda is all about fights in the open desert surrounding the city with a peppering of vehicles and mounts.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's Gorkamunda.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

why do the jetbikes have guns? i have less of a problem with the vehicles per se than the fact that they're all as heavily armed as equivalent 40K vehicles.

These are from the Cinderak rising book where there is a legit upheaval in the necromunda power structure thats causing the gangs to pull out all the stops.

article says they are wargear. They seem like an upgrade to the basic dirtbike you can give anyone. so you could instead give them the regular dirtbikes and make these "count as" that it says you can do in the outlands books, maybe trim off the weapons to make it more WYSIWYG.

Also dakka dakka dakka make me smile.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Is there a community Warmaster rule set or are we stuck with finding the rules on eBay?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You want Warmaster Revolution, it's good!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Hihohe posted:

These are from the Cinderak rising book where there is a legit upheaval in the necromunda power structure thats causing the gangs to pull out all the stops.

article says they are wargear. They seem like an upgrade to the basic dirtbike you can give anyone. so you could instead give them the regular dirtbikes and make these "count as" that it says you can do in the outlands books, maybe trim off the weapons to make it more WYSIWYG.

Also dakka dakka dakka make me smile.

i am objecting to turning necromunda into 40K. i don't care if there's some half-assed narrative explanation for why they're turning necromunda into 40K.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Hihohe posted:

This is still Ash Wastes - Cinderak hasn't been released yet.

Indolent Bastard posted:

You aren't supposed to make your skirmish game go really fast down the highway. That's a different game.

The models are amazing. The issue I take is the inevitable upscaling of everything. How am I supposed to play a game on multi-tiered terrain with four levels when some joker shows up on a dune buggy?

Everyone is free to play whatever games they want to play I just get exhausted at the meta of continued upsizing.

It's like looking at earlier editions of 40K. The number of models needed to field an army is laughable compared to what is now expected nowadays.

It's okay, it's just a side effect of getting old. You want your model smaller and your games smaller. It's a fact.

Cease to Hope posted:

i am objecting to turning necromunda into 40K. i don't care if there's some half-assed narrative explanation for why they're turning necromunda into 40K.
You're both extremely on point - NM shouldn't be 40K, and yet, GW keeps tacking crap onto it in an effort to (seemingly) make it so. It's bad when your 40K skirmish game (KT) is more skirmish than your low level gang warfare game of "anarchy and violence, where players control rival gangs of fighters battling for supremacy in the nightmare depths of a sci-fi megacity" is. I had reservations when the gangs started becoming house armies, rather than scrappy thugs fighting it out over territory and pieces of broken tech. This is really putting the nail into the coffin of NM17 for me. The models are absolutely fine (not super to my liking, but whatever) but their addition to the game, as well as the book bloat, is really forcing me back to old NM, which sucks, because I love the setting.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

I've been on the fence of picking up an Escher gang for a while, and now they have Jetbikes... drat you GW.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the problem is GW always have to keep selling more models and more books, so this is always going to keep happening to every game system they release

eagerly awaiting the MEGA-TITANS for AT that are double the size of a Warlord

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Massively Adaptable Kinetic Entry Combined Arsenal Super Heavy Titan, or MAKE CASH. It's a corvette that transforms into a humanoid Titan and drops onto a battlefield from orbit with limited braking.

The model is only available in forgeworld's new, super-special silver wire reinforced resin and is about 8' tall.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

goatface posted:

The Massively Adaptable Kinetic Entry Combined Arsenal Super Heavy Titan, or MAKE CASH. It's a corvette that transforms into a humanoid Titan and drops onto a battlefield from orbit with limited braking.

The model is only available in forgeworld's new, super-special silver wire reinforced resin and is about 8' tall.

hell yeah

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

This is still Ash Wastes - Cinderak hasn't been released yet.

That article says the rules for these and the Goliath chopper is going to be in the cinderak book.

So YAY more books to leaf through for just one faction!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Moola posted:

the problem is GW always have to keep selling more models and more books, so this is always going to keep happening to every game system they release

if they'd've just been jetbikes it'd be fine by me, it's just weird they're also gun platforms. all of the vehicle stuff is running into that. it's not cool enough to be the war rig or a dune buggy, it also has to be armed like a land raider

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
But now I do kind of want to see something titans scale in Necromunda. but just as a terrain piece that the gangs can climb all over fight on. Every other turn everyone has to make a check as the keg stomps down to avoid falling over railing.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
like, bikes with twin-linked plasma guns are a dark angels-specific gimmick, and hoverbikes are a custodes-specific thing. it's weird to have rag tag imperial gangs armed with stuff that's the envy of space marines!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

This IS Necromunda though, Van Saar make this poo poo in factories like they are pencils(and are shown to trade with all the other gangs) and stuff from ages past gets dug up all the time. I get what you mean though. Just rule of cool i guess.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Anyway, if you want to use vehicles in your games you now can do so.
That is all. If you run a campaign you can have it set in the corridors of zone mortalis and later expand out in to the ash wastes.
Here is my buddy's board we played on today.

My Goliaths got cut to ribbons. 2 dead gangers and a perm stimmer. gently caress the police/arbitrators.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I appreciate that people may find the vehicles for Necromunda don't fit their idea of the theme. I also would have been perfectly OK with just different designs of Mad Max style buggies, bikes, quads, trucks etc. But it's hardly an up-scaling of the game. Fighters and their equipment work exactly the same between the 2018 hardback rulebooks' release and this current stuff. A gang starting a Necromunda campaign is still 1000 credits; most of them have far more options than in 2018 Gangs of the Underhive, but it won't be any more numerous.

Yes, Ash Wastes gangs start at 1400 credits rather than 1000, with the aim being they will include some vehicles. But that is an optional style of play. You don't have to play with vehicles, indeed unless you're playing a specific Ash Wastes campaign the default is you wouldn't!

I would get these complaints if it was a pick-up competitive game like 40k, if I had a basic box of Orlocks and went down to the club, found an opponent who wanted to play with his 'gang' of 2 big vehicles with heavy weapons on them, that would be grounds for being annoyed. But it's not, it's a campaign game, halfway to being an RPG. If the gangs are badly mismatched the arbitrator should be saying something about it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

MRLOLAST posted:

Anyway, if you want to use vehicles in your games you now can do so.
That is all. If you run a campaign you can have it set in the corridors of zone mortalis and later expand out in to the ash wastes.
Here is my buddy's board we played on today.

My Goliaths got cut to ribbons. 2 dead gangers and a perm stimmer. gently caress the police/arbitrators.

Thats a great board, i just made one at my game shop for a game i played with special rules that if you fell off you fell into bottomless pit so your guy was taken out of action..

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Hihohe posted:

This IS Necromunda though, Van Saar make this poo poo in factories like they are pencils(and are shown to trade with all the other gangs) and stuff from ages past gets dug up all the time. I get what you mean though. Just rule of cool i guess.

Hover vehicles are common in the civilized/advanced bits of the Imperium if the novels are anything to go by. Comparing a ganger jetbike to an Custodes one is like comparing a Toyota with a 20mm and a M1. They're both vehicles with guns but one does it much, much better.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Genghis Cohen posted:

Yes, Ash Wastes gangs start at 1400 credits rather than 1000, with the aim being they will include some vehicles. But that is an optional style of play. You don't have to play with vehicles, indeed unless you're playing a specific Ash Wastes campaign the default is you wouldn't!

the problem is that everything about the ash wastes is appealing except the completely pointless power creep. the fact that the vehicles are vehicles is not the problem here.

GW should have realized that the vehicle armaments were way out of scope when vehicles bought all their heavy weapons in a way that bypasses the usual difficulties gangs have buying heavy weapons.

Z the IVth posted:

Hover vehicles are common in the civilized/advanced bits of the Imperium if the novels are anything to go by. Comparing a ganger jetbike to an Custodes one is like comparing a Toyota with a 20mm and a M1. They're both vehicles with guns but one does it much, much better.

this would be a lot more convincing if necromunda vehicles weren't perfectly reliable in play

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 15, 2022

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

the problem is that everything about the ash wastes is appealing except the completely pointless power creep. the fact that they vehicles are vehicles is not the problem here.

GW should have realized that the vehicle armaments were way out of scope when vehicles bought all their heavy weapons in a way that bypasses the usual difficulties gangs have buying heavy weapons.

this would be a lot more convincing if necromunda vehicles weren't perfectly reliable in play

How is it power creep man? Everyone can buy heavy weapons in new-Necromunda anyway. The fact you can buy them for vehicles at the campaign start is just circumventing your house weapon list or a pretty easy rarity roll at the trading post.

Those jetbikes with plasma guns are basically just a ganger with a plasma gun, who moves fast and takes a big hit if they fail their initiative check against pinning when shot.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

Your car is perfectly reliable in day to day life it was designed for but if you drive it into a warzone and expect it to work the same it ain't gonna happen.

Of course on Earth warzones aren't that much more punishing than typical suburbia. But your Custodes/Astartes kit is supposed to function with 100% reliability whether you're in vacuum, at the bottom of the sea, in sub-sub-zero temperatures or being literally on fire.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Genghis Cohen posted:

How is it power creep man?

these examples:

Genghis Cohen posted:

circumventing your house weapon list or a pretty easy rarity roll at the trading post

a ganger with a plasma gun, who moves fast and takes a big hit if they fail their initiative check against pinning when shot.

also the plasma gun is twin linked. it was already weird and kinda bad that your gang champs all turned into heavy weapons guy after a while, but this is jumping you to that at gang creation.

going from necromunda, the game of gangs fighting with assault rifles to necromunda, the game with rules for plasma jetbikes and vehicles from the 40K line is power creep. i'm game for hoverbikes and the fury road war rig, I'm just unhappy with the proliferation of anti-tank weapons alongside.

Z the IVth posted:

Your car is perfectly reliable in day to day life it was designed for but if you drive it into a warzone and expect it to work the same it ain't gonna happen.

Of course on Earth warzones aren't that much more punishing than typical suburbia. But your Custodes/Astartes kit is supposed to function with 100% reliability whether you're in vacuum, at the bottom of the sea, in sub-sub-zero temperatures or being literally on fire.

this is not reflected in the actual game though, i don't think. they try somewhat with how bad necromunda characters are at riding bikes, but i don't think it really makes vehicles feel unreliable or jury-rigged the way the rules for things like ammo do

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's not (so much) a mechanical power creep as it is lore and aesthetic. Technology that was presented as near-archaeotech, barely understood by the finest engineers of a cult of engineers secluded on their manufactory worlds, and as unfathomably valuable if it was in working order, is now suitable for the hands of house armies on a generic hive world. Going by the old lore someone should either be seizing everything those houses own to better outfit the Imperium at large, or glassing them from orbit as filthy hereteks who are using forbidden knowledge to produce it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Plasma in particular seems to have become over represented in the media because of popularity in the table top game. Like, I bet Gaunt and Eisenhorn would have plasma pistols if it was written more recently, because no one aside from old grognards can muster any reaction to a bolt pistol.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

In the old fluff, Chaos Space Marines didn't have access to hover vehicles because they were too fussy to maintain.

On the other hand, Fury Road was a great movie.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

these examples:

also the plasma gun is twin linked. it was already weird and kinda bad that your gang champs all turned into heavy weapons guy after a while, but this is jumping you to that at gang creation.

going from necromunda, the game of gangs fighting with assault rifles to necromunda, the game with rules for plasma jetbikes and vehicles from the 40K line is power creep. i'm game for hoverbikes and the fury road war rig, I'm just unhappy with the proliferation of anti-tank weapons alongside.

this is not reflected in the actual game though, i don't think. they try somewhat with how bad necromunda characters are at riding bikes, but i don't think it really makes vehicles feel unreliable or jury-rigged the way the rules for things like ammo do

I think the twin-linked rule and getting around the rarity rule are pretty minor examples of power creep, especially since the former should cost credits.

I do really agree with you though that heavy/special weapons are too common and too dominant in Necromunda. There's no amount of skills or non-weapon/armour equipment that will make a champ with 'classic' ganger style weapons as dangerous as one with a meltagun or lascannon. Arguably though that's up to groups and arbitrators to restrict access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Arguably though that's up to groups and arbitrators to restrict access.

This is the answer. Our group (6 players) discussed what restrictions we'd like to put on our gangs before we started. One dude wanted all options available, I wanted the entire Lost Zone ruleset, eventually we all settled on just randomizing the trading post every week (which worked out to everyone's liking). Next campaign we'll have the same discussion and maybe come up with some different answers. Also we have an arbitrator who's willing to help out the gangs that ate a lot of poo poo early on and players who won't challenge the weak just to be cruel.