Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Cais posted:

Yeah park hours have no bearing on when particular experiences are open. Just means you can’t enter the park or ride rides at that time, but you can still shop etc. people have spent decades booking pre-opening CRT breakfasts so they can get empty Main Street photos.

Question on this for my future reference. How does this work with something like Savi’s Workshop? Those experiences are very much inside Hollywood studios park. If you don’t actually have an early access pass can you still get in for experience times that start before officially open? Feels like that would be an easy way to bypass not having early entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Dear Phantasialand,

Why not just open the rides when you open the park. It’s weird to open the gates at 9 but then make me wait an hour to ride Fly.
Also it’s weird that smoking is just cool beans anywhere.
Anyway, you are still awesome.

Your pal,
Blue

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Hotel guests supposedly get early access to FLY but it opened late every day I was there. Honestly I think the park opens earlier than the rides due to lack of space. The main turnstiles are so incredibly unassuming.

Dugong fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 11, 2022

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Yeah I didn’t realize we were at the entrance. It was so….. plain.

Fly is neat. Rookburg is wonderfully themed. The whole place is. But so few signs. I’m usually great at navigating parks and I’ve gotten turned around a few times.

The Mexico boat ride is a real hoot. Shoes are still wet.

Taron is…. Yeah Taron is great. Going to have to re-ride after I knock out the rides in the Fantasy part. Everyone we’ve talked to has said Black Mamba is the best ride… but Taron is the best.

Not a lot of mask wearing inside.

Also not a lot of merch. Gonna have to find something Taron themed. Maybe a t shirt that I can then wear on Velocicoaster

Edit. Paid $20 to ride Taron again without a wait. The top hat and first dive roll on Velocicoaster are better than any element on Taron. But overall Taron is the superior coaster.

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 11, 2022

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Quick timing question. My wife and I are just doing Hollywood Studios for a day, and we got dinner reservations for 8:30 at the Sci-Fi Drive In. I was able to snag a second reservation for Oga's Cantina at like 9:50 (we have another one at six). Anyways, is that cutting it close or should I have plenty of time to eat at Sci-fi and then roll into Oga's for a night cap?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

You should have plenty of time, I would think. And even if you roll in to Oga's a few min late, you'll be fine.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

In my experience, Oga's has a pretty flexible window especially if you're polite to the registrar. I wouldn't push it more than +/- 15 minutes or so. But even if you do, they can usually try and find a way to fit you in.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

magic band plus is real poorly made and poorly priced.
underwhelming features hampered by a poor Bluetooth interface, and charging time and battery life.
It was neat to make Coco play music for kids standing in front of it, with a wave of my hand but its dumb as hell when there is a line

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
So, what do all the regulars here think of Chapek's comments about "unfavorable attendance" comments? And the fact that 50% of park visitors use Genie+? Disneyland folks are freaking out, that passes are never coming back. Our expire in February, if the program lasts that long. I'm not really freaking out, but I'm just curious what y'all think will happen.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
As of 2 days ago, the Fuzzy Tauntaun is still off the menu at Oga’s. You won’t know if it is or isn’t until you’re seated. The Slugslinger was weak but good. The T16 my wife ordered was unfinishably sweet. The charcuterie was $22 spam and pork rinds - the guys our table before us advised not to buy it a few minutes too late.

We joined two different families at a table who left within 15 minutes after we got there, one of which was booted by a manager for being there too long. The seating situation is weird, you’re assigned spots and are not allowed to move - if you got stools at the end of a table looking at a wall like we did, you can’t move around the table when people leave so you can actually see the place.

After they left a large family joined us confused why two randos were at their table. It’s just a weird vibe.

The staff was overrun, so we were nice, had our drinks, tipped well and will never return. We would’ve rather spent the time in a Smugglers Run line, and the booze money Epcot. Or for some paid Rise lightning lanes.

Anyways time is your most prized possession there and we just didn’t feel like it was decent value. We just got back and apparently I had feelings to share.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I live in South Carolina and I'm not going to go out of my way to visit Disneyland. I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment. However my wife and I still love visiting WDW. Somewhat less, lately, but we still do. So I guess Chapek can whine all he wants but he also has the power to improve DL.

Campbell posted:

As of 2 days ago, the Fuzzy Tauntaun is still off the menu at Oga’s. You won’t know if it is or isn’t until you’re seated. The Slugslinger was weak but good. The T16 my wife ordered was unfinishably sweet. The charcuterie was $22 spam and pork rinds - the guys our table before us advised not to buy it a few minutes too late.

We joined two different families at a table who left within 15 minutes after we got there, one of which was booted by a manager for being there too long. The seating situation is weird, you’re assigned spots and are not allowed to move - if you got stools at the end of a table looking at a wall like we did, you can’t move around the table when people leave so you can actually see the place.

After they left a large family joined us confused why two randos were at their table. It’s just a weird vibe.

The staff was overrun, so we were nice, had our drinks, tipped well and will never return. We would’ve rather spent the time in a Smugglers Run line, and the booze money Epcot. Or for some paid Rise lightning lanes.

Anyways time is your most prized possession there and we just didn’t feel like it was decent value. We just got back and apparently I had feelings to share.

Aw man that really sucks. They are really strict about seating, but we've ever been sat in a wall-facing group situation like that :wtc:

And yeah there's no point in getting food at Oga's. Your choices are a Wal-Mart cheese plate or a bowl of potpourri.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Upsidads posted:

magic band plus is real poorly made and poorly priced.
underwhelming features hampered by a poor Bluetooth interface, and charging time and battery life.
It was neat to make Coco play music for kids standing in front of it, with a wave of my hand but its dumb as hell when there is a line

So it's the Harry Potter wands

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I never got to try the hp wands outside the wave at poo poo and get in line part do they do anything else?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Anyone who remembers Disneyland in 1985-1994 when the park wasn't full of locals has been waiting a long long time for the Annual Pass house if cards to collapse.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
bob chapstick i will pay your disney+ price increase blood money but can you please use it to build another goddamned ride

she-hulk avengers campus e-ticket when

(that's a terrible idea because comedy in a ride would get old super fast but i'm just giving y'all at disneys imaginaut headquarters a low bar to jump over)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Turning red needs it's shrine in Canada

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Upsidads posted:

Turning red needs it's shrine in Canada

In theory, aren’t the various pavilions supposed to be celebrations of each country’s history and natural beauty? Admittedly this is stretched with the Frozen ride, but that is still a closer match than plopping a cítáng in the Canadian pavilion.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Yes but it's mostly looks and often no context, or just a nice strip mall
Frankly if I were a country that Epcot was sporting I'd want our pavilion to show each visitor that we have a foot in a cultured past with the other set squarely in modern times.

Id keep Canada half Yukon, half modren Toronto.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Upsidads posted:

Do whatever, but make sure the pieces remain solidly glued by the Food and Wine festival cheddar and beer soup with pretzel bun.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Upsidads posted:

Yes but it's mostly looks and often no context, or just a nice strip mall
Frankly if I were a country that Epcot was sporting I'd want our pavilion to show each visitor that we have a foot in a cultured past with the other set squarely in modern times.

This was actually a big issue for Imagineers working on Epcot. Every country sponsor wanted their pavilion to show off how modern their cities were. Imagine if Mexico was just a skyscraper instead of the pyramid. Or Norway was just a skyscraper instead of the church. Or China was just a skyscraper... you get the idea: World Showcase would be nothing but modern buildings.

Imagineers had to stand their ground against the sponsors to make the version we have a reality.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Campbell posted:

The staff was overrun
These two things are related I think. We were told when booking that because it was just two of us we'd probably have other people at our table, and the cast member bringing us to it made a point of reminding us.

Hazo posted:

I live in South Carolina and I'm not going to go out of my way to visit Disneyland. I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment. However my wife and I still love visiting WDW. Somewhat less, lately, but we still do. So I guess Chapek can whine all he wants but he also has the power to improve DL.

Aw man that really sucks. They are really strict about seating, but we've ever been sat in a wall-facing group situation like that :wtc:

And yeah there's no point in getting food at Oga's. Your choices are a Wal-Mart cheese plate or a bowl of potpourri.
I enjoyed the potpourri TBH.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have always been at a table with randos at Oga's unless we are at the bar. Also, people showing up and leaving in 15 minutes is definitely normal as well. A lot of folks just wanna come in and look at it. Some just get one drink for the experience and bail.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

yeah we like the atmosphere of Oga's but the seating is just not good. Last time we left after 15 minutes because we had to stand at the bar next to someone who wanted to talk and we weren't ready for just, full blown, no covid restrictions

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

couldcareless posted:

I have always been at a table with randos at Oga's unless we are at the bar. Also, people showing up and leaving in 15 minutes is definitely normal as well. A lot of folks just wanna come in and look at it. Some just get one drink for the experience and bail.
It’s also a cool place to take a 15 minute break. Cool temperature-wise.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Craptacular! posted:

Anyone who remembers Disneyland in 1985-1994 when the park wasn't full of locals has been waiting a long long time for the Annual Pass house if cards to collapse.

I will only visit DLR when AP's are blacked out. I haven't been since MLK weekend 2018, but Saturday, Sunday, and Monday at DLR was a great experience. Tuesday when the blackout period ended it was a totally different park.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Upsidads posted:

I never got to try the hp wands outside the wave at poo poo and get in line part do they do anything else?

I have one, and no it doesn't. It's fun to have at the park and make some stuff move, but that's literally all it can do outside of your own imagination, I guess. I haven't pulled it from the box in ages, but I think it was at least a really nice replica. If I can find them, I'll pull them out and take a picture of the park one alongside one of the movie-accurate replica I have.

On the topic of Oga's seating, I think it's cool. I usually hate the chance of randos being next to me, but if you have some cash to burn and get sat next to the right people, it could turn into a nerdy-rear end drunk fest quick. Any odds of that happening are always welcome.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I made a display for mine that I have mounted in my office (shamelessly stole the design from somewhere I saw online)

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Oh neat, my wife's an old school Harry Potter fan and she has Sirius's wand too. I wasn't allowed to own one until I read all the books so I went with Percival Graves from the first Fantastic Beasts movie cause it's supposedly made from a magical fish core and I thought the conductor's baton look was pretty kickass.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Doronin posted:

On the topic of Oga's seating, I think it's cool. I usually hate the chance of randos being next to me, but if you have some cash to burn and get sat next to the right people, it could turn into a nerdy-rear end drunk fest quick. Any odds of that happening are always welcome.

Yea - like all things it can be amazing or awful with others. Last time I went I was at a standing bar with my 4 and 7 year Olds. It wasn't the best setup for success given the standing heights but a cool family from Canada stood next to us and were very cool and chill. Offered us part of their appetizers, talked about the different coasters with my 4 year old (he's obsessed and can name everything from a gamorrean to a bantha), and nerded out as two families. One of those cool moments I wasn't expecting.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I hope they play the magical express video on all the in-flight monitors during takeoff and landing. Fantasmic bgm is acceptable as well.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I was completely baffled by the dragons at Phantasialand. The two gifts shops I saw had a ton of dragon merch, but I saw zero dragons in the park. I’m so confused.

For Epcot. How do Eat to the Beat dining packages work? You eat at some restaurant and then later have reserved seating? I really want to make sure I don’t miss the band I want to see….

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I think the dragon meet and greets may have been a covid casualty. Each land has a dragon mascot. You can see the one for Mexico in the indoor section of Chipias. The Mystery Land dragon is carved into the rock work of Taron / Klugheim and has a meet and greet in the exit of Mystery Castle.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Trip report: Wife and I managed to do pretty much everything on our list in Hollywood Studios/Galaxy's Edge in a single day. Ended up closing out the night at Oga's which was a ton of fun. I know another goon said he didn't really enjoy it, but we ended up going twice and loved the hell out of it. Def. figured out their trick to get you out fast is to make it mostly standing room only and as far as I could tell, no bathrooms for customers inside. Sci-Fi was also excellent, thanks again to all who recommended it.

My only regret is that I wish I went on Star Tours multiple times.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If you watch star tours waits throughout the day, they fluctuate like mad. Not sure if it's because they turn on more bays at certain points or not, but more than once I've seen it go from 90 minutes to walk on within a span of 2 hours.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So, we’re not SOL yet, but do Blue Bayou reservations really book out THAT far in advanced? We can’t find a single reservation for any day from here through October.

Also, any other must-try restaurants that require reservations? We’re first timers to DLR, so I’m not sure.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

couldcareless posted:

If you watch star tours waits throughout the day, they fluctuate like mad. Not sure if it's because they turn on more bays at certain points or not, but more than once I've seen it go from 90 minutes to walk on within a span of 2 hours.
I got the impression when I was there in March that Star Tours is being used as a sink for Galaxy's Edge. If you want to do "something Star Wars" and see that it's at 90 (or 240 once or twice for us :psyduck:) minutes you walk on by and enjoy the vibe in Batuu, maybe spend some money. If Batuu is busy and you see it's a 25 minute wait you'll wander over and kill half an hour. Don't think the queue was even visibly full to the entrance even once.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Oh yeah the queue for Star Tours this weekend seemed like it never really got about the 20 minute mark after late morning. The only reason we didn't queue for it again was because we were there for a single day and were basically busy doing a bunch of other poo poo.

Still though, I realize that it's changed a bunch since the original inception of it, but my inner ten year old loved the poo poo out of it (I'd been wanting to go on that ride since I first learned about it in the mid-90s). Rise and Smugglers Run were also worth the hype.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Handsome Ralph posted:

My only regret is that I wish I went on Star Tours multiple times.
I don't like Star Wars much these days but I loving love Star Tours

this crazyass tour bus Forrest Gumping it through all the major battles in the Star Wars universe really tickles me

I just wish it was more guaranteed to get different scenes every time; I rode twice when the Ep 9 sequence came out it was exactly the same combo of clips both times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Sivart13 posted:

I just wish it was more guaranteed to get different scenes every time; I rode twice when the Ep 9 sequence came out it was exactly the same combo of clips both times

It was the same sequence for over a year. Same with episode 7 & 8, thank goodness that phase is over.