Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Xander77 posted:

I think there's an improved combat mod - no idea whether it's any good, but if the combat doesn't click for you...

Otherwise, the tips here:
https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=The_Witcher

If it’s the one I think it is (full combat rebalance), it’s tuned for people who really like the combat and want a more intense and difficult version of it. Not a good idea for a first playthrough. It also bundles some nice qol tweaks like inventory stacking, but you can get that on its own if you feel the need for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Arcturas posted:

Question about Persona 5: Royal. I've read the tips on the wiki and appreciate them, but I'm wondering more about allocating my time - how tight are things? Is it reasonably possible to max out most of the stats/relationships you want in your first run without slavishly following a guide? Should I be following a guide? Doing so doesn't bother me, it's more an issue of how much effort I need to put into planning things.

Relatedly, are there easy ways to break the game with fusions, or should I just roll with whatever and call it good?

(I've never played an SMT or Persona game before.)

Especially with Royal, P5 isn't as tight as either of the previous two, but you can still certainly fail to max out everything on a fresh run. Especially as the triggers for a couple of the links can be hard to find blind, leaving you with just not enough time to finish them.

Maxing out everything isn't a huge deal though IIRC. I think it gives you an extra scene, but not an extra boss or anything. OTOH, it's a long JRPG so saying "Just do it on NG+" feels bad.

IMO, if you want to max everything first time round you do need to be looking at guides to help you know what you are doing and what various rewards are. And probably to get the right classroom and crossword answers and such. But you probably don't have to slavishly follow a year long calendar like Persona3 required.

Fusions are cool and stuff, but I don't know any easy "Just make this for this dungeon, and this for this dungeon." options.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

P5 royal is going to come to PC now (not sure when though) so if you’re willing to wait, you can get that version and just cheat to max out your social stats to make things much more reasonable. That was the bottleneck for me that I found unpleasant, but playing p4 in this fashion felt right.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arcturas posted:

Question about Persona 5: Royal. I've read the tips on the wiki and appreciate them, but I'm wondering more about allocating my time - how tight are things? Is it reasonably possible to max out most of the stats/relationships you want in your first run without slavishly following a guide? Should I be following a guide? Doing so doesn't bother me, it's more an issue of how much effort I need to put into planning things.

Relatedly, are there easy ways to break the game with fusions, or should I just roll with whatever and call it good?

(I've never played an SMT or Persona game before.)

p5r is really, really generous, i actually found myself running out of things to do near the end on my run.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the DLC summons (you can tell because they cost 0 yen) are pretty much breaking, and are good if you are annoyed by a specific boss but i'd ignore them otherwise

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

p5r is really, really generous, i actually found myself running out of things to do near the end on my run.

Yeah I should give the caveat that I only played p5 vanilla, where I think I only maxed out maybe half the links (without a guide or thinking about it very hard). Couldn’t say how much easier royal makes it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the fact that Royal lets you do "in-cafe" activities after a dungeon crawling day like studying, watching movies, making coffee etc by itself makes it a ton easier

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ainsley McTree posted:

P5 royal is going to come to PC now (not sure when though) so if you’re willing to wait, you can get that version and just cheat to max out your social stats to make things much more reasonable. That was the bottleneck for me that I found unpleasant, but playing p4 in this fashion felt right.
October 21st, IIRC. I'll most likely pick it up then and then come back to the thread/wiki for advice :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The big trick to know is to work on the Fortune Arcana S.Link, as she'll be able to give bonus points in other S.Links as a later ability.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I have the ps5 version of p5r, so I’m not sure if I have free dlc characters? Or if so, I don’t know where to get them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The big trick to know is to work on the Fortune Arcana S.Link, as she'll be able to give bonus points in other S.Links as a later ability.

Death is also important (and you can get it earlier) because you can get accessories that regen MP, making one-shotting dungeons easier.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Arcturas posted:

I have the ps5 version of p5r, so I’m not sure if I have free dlc characters? Or if so, I don’t know where to get them.

The native PS5 version doesn't launch until Oct 21, so you probably have the PS4 version.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Death is also important (and you can get it earlier)

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've upgraded the wiki software. I saw some weird graphical problems right after I upgraded, but they're gone now. If you see anything, please let me know.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Neon White

* You'll want to spend time thinking about each level's routing to get the Ace ranking. If there's a notably open area or sightline to an enemy in a level, it was almost certainly put there for a reason. Similarly, long platforming segments without any enemies probably have some method of skipping most or all of them.
* Every stage has a secret ranking above Ace for beating the developer time.
* Destroying enemy projectiles will give you a small speed boost.
* You can safely skip every visual novel segment if they're not your thing.
* Collecting a stage's gift usually requires bypassing obstacles without using your soul cards' movement abilities so you can use them to get to the gift.
* If you're having trouble finding a gift in a stage, a small handful of stages instead have sidequest-like Insight hands instead of traditional floating/glowing presents.
* You can immediately detonate a Purify grenade by hitting it with your sword.
* During boss fights, it's usually possible to damage the boss as they transition between areas. It's possible to deal enough damage this way to defeat them before getting to their final phase - and you'll get an achievement for doing this too.
* Mimics and tripwires are almost always placed such that killing them first will cause collateral damage.
* It's possible, but almost never practical, to destroy red destructable barriers with shots instead of movement abilities.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've just started Xenoblade Chronicles 3, and started a page on the wiki. The game is generally good at explaining concepts, and I'm not far in, but does anyone have any tips they want to add to the page?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Dinkum

These tips apply to the Early Access release.

The world is randomly generated, so your map will be different than everyone else's, however the biomes will be in generally the same locations.

The yellow flowers you will see right when you start are an excellent way to get early cash from John so you can purchase tools.

You can cook fruit and meat on campfires and improve the health/energy it refills.

Digging will hold the dirt on your shovel. If you want to dig multiple holes at once, you will need a dirt pile, or a wheelbarrow.

There do not appear to be biome restrictions on where plants can grow. Plant anything you want near your house.

Give yourself a large amount of space around your house for animal pens and farming fields.

Tools can break, but you can eventually buy a repair station. Repair kits to use the station cost 30k dinkums and are one time use, but they repair everything you have on you.

Base level tools can only be purchased from John, and are required to make higher level tools.

Using skills is the only way to unlock more licenses. If you want to get new tool recipes, use the appropriate skill!

The stone furnace cannot make iron ingots. Get the improved one from John. It works faster than the stone one anyways.

Smash every barrel you can find, those items are used for some advanced machines you can buy, the CDs can be traded to the tech guy for a LOT of dinkums, and the resources are also used to repair the teleportation towers.

Some animals require a bit of a beating before they can be trapped, some don't. If a trapped animal is struggling in the cage, beat it up a little bit. You may want to keep a lower damage weapon around so you don't accidentally kill it.

Trapping animals and sending them off for research is a fairly easy source of cash each day. Birds are a pain in the rear end to catch if they can fly. Other animals you can build a trap hallway via dirt and chase them into the trap.

The game has very big Animal Crossing New Horizons vibes, but is not time locked. It does not run in real time, and sleeping advances to the next day.

The residents you can obtain currently all have a function, from opening a store, to selling farming supplies, to creating very powerful machines, to selling clothes.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Anyone got anything for Azure Striker Gunvolt 3?

I bought it on impulse because I like the Megaman Zero games. I played the intro level and it was pretty fun.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

I think I've worked out a few things about Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes, but would appreciate if anyone have other tips?

* Resetting your level back to 1 seems a very "why would I do that?" option, but it does play into stat growth as far as I can tell. More advanced classes have better growth than the base ones, so you can gain more in the long run by resetting after trading up (provided you can be bothered to re-level or have the gold to pay for the levels). It also can give you an edge if you want to respec someone from physical to magical classes or vice versa by letting them gain more useful stats.
* Replaying the very first mission after the prologue is a good testing ground for trying different characters. It is pretty quick and easy and allows you to get a feel for their style and gain a few upgrades as well.
* Spend your activity and training points in camp as soon as you can. There is no point holding on to them and they will be wasted if you advance to the next chapter without using them.
* Increasing Morale appears to have an significant effect on unit damage. Apart from gifts and conversations, playing the majority of a mission as a certain unit is almost guaranteed to give them MVP, which boosts morale in addition to granting bonus XP.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 10, 2022

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
My partner and I are going to okay EDF5 splitscreen. Anything we should know? I checked the wiki and the advice for 4.1 seemed pretty specific for 4.1.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

bare bottom pancakes posted:

My partner and I are going to okay EDF5 splitscreen. Anything we should know? I checked the wiki and the advice for 4.1 seemed pretty specific for 4.1.

-Try out the co-op weapons at least once (usually a Fencer missile launcher of some kind that needs a target painter from an Air Raider to work) for some fun, inefficient hilarity.

-Fencer melee weapons are actually surprisingly effective, don't be scared off trying them as both the tankiest class and 2nd most mobile. The shields are also very effective and most are capable of "reloading" once their charges depleted which isn't super obvious.

-Weapons that cause explosions are both hilarious and also incredibly easy to friendly fire your partner with. They also cause ragdolling generally. Use this info as you see fit.

-It's not totally necessary but highly recommend having at least one Fencer or Wing Diver in play to collect armor and weapon boxes in any given mission.

- Don't let Ranger and Air Raider early weapons throw you off, they get some absolutely insane poo poo later along side Fencer and Wing Diver's already cool stuff.

- EDF! EDF! EDF!!!

- If you've never played an EDF game before don't let the difficulty levels fool you, you're supposed to play through on Normal before trying Hard. If you know what you're doing you can absolutely snag some high level weapons from a harder difficulty, but this will generally bust the difficulty curve or depending on the level you might not even be able to use them on a lower difficulty.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Anything for the Spiderman: Remastered? Seems like a pretty simple ubisoft open world type game but you never know.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Elendil004 posted:

Anything for the Spiderman: Remastered? Seems like a pretty simple ubisoft open world type game but you never know.

Players tend to worry about the things they can miss and there aren't any. Side missions and crimes may be unavailable during certain story chapters but they all come back if you want to finish them later.

To buy any and all suits or gadget upgrades there are enough Tokens in the game to do so but you may want to prioritize suits for trophy reasons if you are finding it hard to get Ultimate/Gold on all the challenges. You need Gold in all but 3, which you still need Silver in. More tokens are also available in the DLC, which you have, or by doing NG+ because the Challenges are wiped clean but your Tokens aren't so you could get Silver twice on the same Challenge across two playthroughs and earn 2 Silver's worth of Tokens.

As far as gameplay tips, it's not a difficult game but the things that will help a lot in terms of Skills are anything dodge-related and anything that gives you more versatility against certain enemies like Brutes, armed enemies, or shield guys.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 15, 2022

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

It's not major, but each neighborhood has a couple of combat objectives like 'hit <X> dudes from behind', 'KO guys from stealth', etc. Try to finish them before clearing out all the street crime in a neighborhood or you may run low on readily punchable men in the zone.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cult of the Lamb

Cult:

- Plants seem to always return their seeds after harvest so don't be afraid to plant a big farm. Also, get a farm going.

- Throwing up as a side effect of a meal is not bad so long as you are there to clean up. Pooping is a bonus for harvests. The food side effect you have to watch out for is sickness, since it takes pawns out of commission.

- Cultists will eventually get old and die, so its good to have ways to make them still useful once they get feeble and can't work anymore. Sacrificing them is good, but it has a huge cooldown. Getting the revive skill as your first choice after taking down the first boss is a good way to burn through them.

- Holding down a button on your gamepad when in the cult will fast forward time. On switch I believe it is X, not sure about other systems.

Combat:

- Your dodge roll is 50 feet long for a reason, a lot of the game is hit and run, especially using a sword or axe. Its also total iframes. Comboing enemies will generally prevent them from hitting you back as well.

- Swords and axes are just better at killing than daggers or fists, you aren't just bad with them. If you're forced to use the fists then it's good form to shadowbox just out of range of an enemy for the first two swings and then do a big hit with the actually damaging third swing.

-If you get low on health then start mowing down the scenery in levels, especially around shopkeepers. Often you can recover from a single heart to full health over just a few screens.

- Shopkeepers, both tarot and weapon, will have signature decorations around the path leading to their room.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 15, 2022

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Elendil004 posted:

The milestones give you very small amounts of XP for doing ludicrous things like "Point-launch 5000 times". Treat them as a stats screen, there's really no point in trying to achieve any of them.

Stay mobile in fights. If you play it like an Arkham game - staying in the middle of enemies, building your combo, punching and countering - you'll have a bad time. Spend as much time as possible in the air, and use your gadgets; a dude standing near a wall is just asking to get webbed to it.

There's a set of hidden landmarks that Peter can take photos of! You don't get anything for doing this, but it's kinda cool.

edit: JJJ's podcasts get interrupted if you start doing a side-activity in the middle of them, so don't do that. Conversations with other characters, otoh, resume after the activity is finished.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 16, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kazzah posted:

There's a set of hidden landmarks that Peter can take photos of! You don't get anything for doing this, but it's kinda cool.

Incorrect, you get a Daily Bugle t-shirt for doing them all

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you're used to Arkham then one thing that will almost definitely trip you up initially is that you do not necessarily want to press Dodge as soon as you see the Spider Sense indicator. It's a warning about incoming attacks and if you press too early you may get caught by the attack while you're doing the animation for cartwheeling away. Dodging is often about timing and not reflexes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

For Far Cry 4, if a plot critical enemy runs into an NPC only room with no windows or doors (because they can sometimes path into the rooms friendly NPCs disappear into to not exist after giving you missions), your Molotovs can splash a small radius through a solid wall. Detect them with a hunter syringe and throw the Molotov at the wall they're closest to. Sometimes it might just clip them and not burn them enough to kill them, and will make them run to another part of the room, so you may have to hit them from a few sides before you splash them enough to kill them off.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
FF7 Remake
  • Using dodge roll while in Cloud's punisher stance will automatically put him back into his default operator stance. If you keep getting confused what stance you're in, this can be both the cause and the solution.
  • Melee characters can attack flying enemies. If you press the attack button while underneath, they'll anime jump up to take a swing. The tracking on it is pretty bad and you're usually still better off trying to knock them down with something else, but it's an option.
  • Unlike some 3D brawlers, enemies will attack you from off-screen. If it's something meatier like a spell or special attack, the ability name will show up on the edge of the screen in the direction it's coming from.
  • If you want to use a bunch of smaller items in bulk to top off between fights, you can press and hold L1 while using them. This will let you use several in a row without having to navigate the menu again for each one individually.

yook fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 18, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

yook posted:

If you want to use a bunch of smaller items in bulk to top off between fights, you can press and hold L1 while using them. This will let you use several in a row without having to navigate the menu again for each one individually.

gently caress

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 18, 2022

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Any tips for The Ascent?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

owl_pellet posted:

Any tips for The Ascent?

Sure, just some basic stuff:

-I personally recommend investing in one color type of stats, while splashing some points into health and energy as you feel you need them. Try to compliment the stat color you invest in with the same color active powers, as those powers get bonuses the more points you have in that stat color category.

-The early game weapons are all pretty basic but you start getting some fun stuff mid-game. Don't be afraid to do a little upgrading to early weapons you find comfy but if you really want to slam upgrades into a bunch of early stuff be aware you will have to a little out of your way to grind a tiny bit when you find another weapon you really like later on. Heavily upgrading also lets you bust the difficulty curve a bit if you're struggling.

-Explore! Do side missions! There's a whole lot of cool poo poo and awesome areas that the story never really takes you too, the only thing limiting to you is the level of the enemies they stick in certain places. There's some hidden active powers, passive augments, skill points, upgrade materials and cyberdeck upgrades you wouldn't find otherwise if you don't explore or do side missions.

-The Cyberdeck is surprisingly more important than it appears at first glance. You'll find upgrades just following the story but as mentioned in the point above if you want to fully upgrade it you'll need to do side missions and explore. You can always backtrack to pick up stuff from ICE locks you couldn't bust before so don't worry about missing out on anything. If you ever feel like you're struggling with a particular enemy for no discernable reason, try decking them.

-Damage types and enemy weaknesses, are in fact, important. However you probably won't notice till the last third of the game if you've slammed upgrades in one weapon and overpowered the curve. If you feel like you're struggling to kill an enemy type despite having a near maxed out weapon, try a gun with a different damage type even if it hasn't been upgraded at all.

The Ascent is a gorgeous cyberpunk experience with gameplay that's pretty solid fun. Enjoy!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

owl_pellet posted:

Any tips for The Ascent?

There is a cyber mod that makes it so you instantly dump your full clip but every bullet in the clip hits an enemy. There is a gun that is very inaccurate, but has a 100 bullet clip.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jurassic World Evolution 2. I played a fair chunk of the first one but expecting some poorly explained changes.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Barudak posted:

There is a cyber mod that makes it so you instantly dump your full clip but every bullet in the clip hits an enemy. There is a gun that is very inaccurate, but has a 100 bullet clip.

lmao I found this and it is busted as hell

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
In Dying Light 2, is it safe to sell everything under Valuables? Nothing I need to keep for some random side quest?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Kruller posted:

Dinkum

These tips apply to the Early Access release.

The world is randomly generated, so your map will be different than everyone else's, however the biomes will be in generally the same locations.

The yellow flowers you will see right when you start are an excellent way to get early cash from John so you can purchase tools.

You can cook fruit and meat on campfires and improve the health/energy it refills.

Digging will hold the dirt on your shovel. If you want to dig multiple holes at once, you will need a dirt pile, or a wheelbarrow.

There do not appear to be biome restrictions on where plants can grow. Plant anything you want near your house.

Give yourself a large amount of space around your house for animal pens and farming fields.

Tools can break, but you can eventually buy a repair station. Repair kits to use the station cost 30k dinkums and are one time use, but they repair everything you have on you.

Base level tools can only be purchased from John, and are required to make higher level tools.

Using skills is the only way to unlock more licenses. If you want to get new tool recipes, use the appropriate skill!

The stone furnace cannot make iron ingots. Get the improved one from John. It works faster than the stone one anyways.

Smash every barrel you can find, those items are used for some advanced machines you can buy, the CDs can be traded to the tech guy for a LOT of dinkums, and the resources are also used to repair the teleportation towers.

Some animals require a bit of a beating before they can be trapped, some don't. If a trapped animal is struggling in the cage, beat it up a little bit. You may want to keep a lower damage weapon around so you don't accidentally kill it.

Trapping animals and sending them off for research is a fairly easy source of cash each day. Birds are a pain in the rear end to catch if they can fly. Flying birds can be baited in to traps with seeds or meat. Other animals you can build a trap hallway via dirt and chase them into the trap.

The game has very big Animal Crossing New Horizons vibes, but is not time locked. It does not run in real time, and sleeping advances to the next day.

The residents you can obtain currently all have a function, from opening a store, to selling farming supplies, to creating very powerful machines, to selling clothes.

Updated a tip in bold above. Here are some more for Dinkum

Improved farming tools are a MASSIVE improvement over the baseline tools. It may be worth it to grind farming out, whether you are ready to really work on it or not, just to get the copper can and hoe.

Windmills provide a significant increase to the production speed of the machines that can use it.

When delving in to the deep mine, make sure you bring any Old Keys you have found. Also bring torches. Also don't completely fail to notice there is a minimap and main map like I did for my first seven delves in to it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vidaeus posted:

In Dying Light 2, is it safe to sell everything under Valuables? Nothing I need to keep for some random side quest?

You don't need to worry and can sell every valuable you find.

There is an exception, but that particular valuable is acquired as part of the quest and it's honestly kind of obvious that you should save it. It is however not at all necessary mechanically to save it, so don't worry if you accidentally do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Evil Kit posted:

You don't need to worry and can sell every valuable you find.

There is an exception, but that particular valuable is acquired as part of the quest and it's honestly kind of obvious that you should save it. It is however not at all necessary mechanically to save it, so don't worry if you accidentally do.

Great, thanks!