Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Real contortionists and gymnasts, according to this article. However he did it, I loved all the stuntwork. And, someday, I will manage to ID Jamie Foxx on the first try. I always get his name wrong.

https://www.polygon.com/23301720/day-shift-vampires-netflix-contortionists-jamie-foxx-jj-perry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Peccadillo posted:

I watched Day Shift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN_IwBptKi4

And I was thinking "why on earth does this Netflix vampire comedy have incredible stunt work" and then Scott Adkins turns up as a vampire hunter with shoe knives to do deadly flips with and I realised stunt people made it for fun

The director is actually a former stunt coordinator with this being his first directing gig.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Yeah JJ Perry comes out of 87eleven and has actually choreographed a couple of Scott Adkins movies before, including Undisputed 2.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A bit late to the Prey party but it was good. I've only seen Predator 1/2 so can't compare it to the more recent trash though.

Naru was great of course, but one thing that made P1 so great is that you got to know all the characters pretty good by the time poo poo starts going bad. Here it's just Naru, not even her brother gets much characterization. Also agreed on the trappers, way too much, feels like he kills like a hundred with no issues. If it bleeds, we can kill it would get a great reaction in a theater, too bad I was watching it alone at home though.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I enjoyed Day Shift I but I’d rather watch a movie about Nazerian Audio bros

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Talking about Day Shift reminded me of Timur Bekmambetov's (no connection) night shift + day shift

I don't really remember much and don't have a desire to revisit, but the vampire talk does make me want to revisit Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, which I remember was suitably goofy, and had axe-fu, which I don't think I've seen anywhere else

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I guess I missed that Chad is making this.

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1558151807507087362

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

forest spirit posted:

Talking about Day Shift reminded me of Timur Bekmambetov's (no connection) night shift + day shift

I don't really remember much and don't have a desire to revisit, but the vampire talk does make me want to revisit Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, which I remember was suitably goofy, and had axe-fu, which I don't think I've seen anywhere else

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is better than it has any right to be.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

drat that's pretty cool

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why isn't someone like Miike directing it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hes probably busy with 5 other movies

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
That definitely feels like a movie that never gets made

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess my question is whether or not he's bringing back Daisuke Tsuji for the lead.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Finally subscribed to Hi-Yah this week. I figured, even though it has a small library, it's only 4 bucks ( though I did get a 7 day trial followed by a free month with a code I found).

So far I watched She Shoots Straight, Above the Law(Righting Wrongs) and at this moment, Baby Assassins.
AtL and SSS were both very good. SSS has slightly weaker action (except the last two scenes on the boat, then that 1x1 fight) but I think has better emotional beats, while RW had more consistent set pieces, and were all very memorable.

Baby Assassins is real fun so far. I know a lot of people didn't love the slice of life, gen-z vibe but I think the leads are super charming and though the action is sparse, it's REALLY well done.

I think I am going to watch Raging Fire next, followed by Hydra

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Did anyone else watch Gunpowder Milkshake when it came out?
I liked it well enough but I don't think Karen Gillian has the charisma to lead. She did wonders for Nebula but otherwise I'm not convinced.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
It was fine until the very end which was just loving baffling.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I liked it well enough but I don't think Karen Gillian has the charisma to lead. She did wonders for Nebula but otherwise I'm not convinced.

I really, really disliked it. And, yeah, I think i agree with you. She wasn't able to carry the movie, at all. The whole thing felt extremely forced and calculated to me.

But, after that, I watched Kate, which is miles better.

Edit- Forced and insincere

Narzack fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 15, 2022

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Inzombiac posted:

I thought she did fine in Dual, although Riley Stearns's style isn't exactly emotive.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Currently rewatching The Night Comes For Us and I had to stop for a moment at Ito's warehouse fight with the gang because it's so gory it made me laugh and squirm at the same time. When that movie goes, it really really goes. And I know I still have the Assassin's Stand to look forward to, which is a lot of fun even though the characters involved are really ancillary, and Joe Taslim vs. Iko Uwais in their own private rendition of the final fight of Fist of the North Star. I love that movie. It's no Raid, but it's very close in a lot of places.

edit: the first words of the song segueing into the final moments of the movie are "One more thing before I go" which given the context is pretty funny.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 15, 2022

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Currently rewatching The Night Comes For Us and I had to stop for a moment at Ito's warehouse fight with the gang because it's so gory it made me laugh and squirm at the same time. When that movie goes, it really really goes. And I know I still have the Assassin's Stand to look forward to, which is a lot of fun even though the characters involved are really ancillary, and Joe Taslim vs. Iko Uwais in their own private rendition of the final fight of Fist of the North Star. I love that movie. It's no Raid, but it's very close in a lot of places.

edit: the first words of the song segueing into the final moments of the movie are "One more thing before I go" which given the context is pretty funny.

TNCFU is my favorite action film since The Raid. It's just so bonkers and violent and doesn't let up at all. Timo went all in, can't wait for his Train to Busan remake tbh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TNCFU has the best use of a billiard ball I’ve ever seen.

*clink clink*

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Grendels Dad posted:

That warehouse fight is so bonkers. Whenever I'm describing it to my friends I always remember the Death by Gooch Hook bit

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Why are people talking about a warehouse fight? Do they mean the fight in the butchers? the place filled with slabs of meat and butcher's tools?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Never mind

dokmo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 16, 2022

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Inzombiac posted:

Netflix is telling me I watched this, but I have ZERO recollection, even though it’s filled with memorable actors.

thatfuturekid posted:

TNCFU is my favorite action film since The Raid. It's just so bonkers and violent and doesn't let up at all. Timo went all in, can't wait for his Train to Busan remake tbh

Oh god the start of that movie filled me with such dread I stopped watching. It was so clear things were gonna go wrong, and not in a fun way. Only other movie that happened with was 28 days later when the dad and the daughter exactly my daughters age were gonna go into the tunnel.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

thatfuturekid posted:

Imo its Iko Uwais best movie after the Raid series, headshot & triple threat are good but not as consistent as The Night Comes For Us.

Happy that Iko is getting more exposure with Hollywood roles and more money but all his Hollywood/western roles have been wasted. Fistful of Vengeance is trash, Miles 22 or w.e Mark Walhberg's movie is trash that guy can't do action not sure why Hollywood tries to push for that just cause his slightly in shape, he is honestly better in comedic roles than action. Didn't watch the GI Joe movie, I gave a chance to the 2nd one but its the most generic Hollywood bad 2010s type poo poo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Grendels Dad posted:

White Boy Bobby is a real one. And Low's Murderer as an ending song was fairly close to perfect as far as movie endings.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
In TNCFU I love how Julie Estelle is in a completely different movie initially where a cool assassin shoots people instead of the crazy machete carnage everyone else is doing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Raid 2 has a better story and better setup and pay off within fight scenes (usually Iko has to learn to overcome the enemy's signature weapon then master it himself) but I'd rank TNCFU above the first one and I don't care if it's a hot take. Joe Taslim has a sort dutiful weariness that gives way to a manic brutality in fight scenes that makes him such a joy to watch. He's from the Die Hard school of protagonists who get hosed up but don't stop.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Ulio posted:

Happy that Iko is getting more exposure with Hollywood roles and more money but all his Hollywood/western roles have been wasted.

Are there any examples of an asian martial arts star being used effectively by a Hollywood movie, aside from the John wick series? It's pretty sad how bad Hollywood's record is in getting the best use out of these performers. Iko in Mile 22, Tony Jaa in fast and furious, Donnie Yen in xxx, all wasted.

I guess some of Jackie Chan's movies count. Maybe Michelle Yeoh in that one James Bond movie?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

dokmo posted:

Are there any examples of an asian martial arts star being used effectively by a Hollywood movie, aside from the John wick series? It's pretty sad how bad Hollywood's record is in getting the best use out of these performers. Iko in Mile 22, Tony Jaa in fast and furious, Donnie Yen in xxx, all wasted.

I guess some of Jackie Chan's movies count. Maybe Michelle Yeoh in that one James Bond movie?

I haven't seen it but I heard good things about how Lethal Weapon 4 used Jet Li. Also Unleashed/Danny The Dog is pretty good.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
While a choreographer and not an actor, Yuen Woo-ping has consistently been well utilised by Hollywood filmmakers.

Grendels Dad posted:

I haven't seen it but I heard good things about how Lethal Weapon 4 used Jet Li. Also Unleashed/Danny The Dog is pretty good.

In addition to Matrix and Kill Bill he worked on both of these.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Jet Li's two best English speaking movies, Danny the Dog and Kiss of the Dragon, are both French and not Hollywood. They were both written and produced by Luc Besson!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

Jet Li and Iko have/had similar limitations coming over to Hollywood so I think their situations are comparable and Lethal Weapon 4 is definitely one way that you can use someone like that effectively. In Lethal Weapon Li is basically the T-1000, he's this looming threat that is established as extremely lethal and nearly impossible to beat, then the heroes have to team up at the end to be able to just barely beat him.

The language barrier holds Iko back in America unfortunately, like it did with Li. The leading man opportunities just aren't there in the same way that they would be for someone of equal talent that speaks fluent English. Jet Li got his first leading role in America by using the leverage he had because they really really wanted him for Lethal Weapon 4.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 16, 2022

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

poonchasta posted:

Jet Li's two best English speaking movies, Danny the Dog and Kiss of the Dragon, are both French and not Hollywood. They were both written and produced by Luc Besson!

I tried to rewatch Kiss of the Dragon recently and good lord it does not hold up. Easily one of the more misogynistic movies I have seen recently

Romeo Must Die rules though.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

B-Rock452 posted:

Romeo Must Die rules though.

That cgi football was ridiculous, though.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

poonchasta posted:

That cgi football was ridiculous, though.

I can't even hate on that, it was just so silly.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I think Donnie Yen got one of the worst US intros. Bloody awful Highlander. Blade 2, he had the worst off screen death ever, but at least he was cool. I don't think he cared all that much in that one, because, as I recall he was also one of the fight coordinators.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Day Shift is an odd one. The one-breath premise is really good: Simi Valley Real Estate Vampire vs Blue Collar Vamp Slayers. There's a really fun idea here, which is that vamps fight like parkour contortionist assholes with rubber bones. And some of the kills got a universal and audible "whoah!" out of the audience I watched it with (5 people, including myself).

But it just doesn't quite work. Franko and Foxx's banter is amusing but workmanlike, and the vampires aren't compelling villains. They aren't absolute monster freaks of traditional lore but they also aren't the deadly calculating crime masterminds of modern myth. They're either just regular old people (seriously, Simi Valley real estate people are ruthless) with magic powers or dangerous pests. I think the comedy aspects and lightness of the script weakened the movie, because I never felt like anybody was in real danger. When Foxx was left with Franco "to be eaten", there was no threat because Franco was an imbecile who was easily dispatched (and this also makes the villain look like a chump). When his daughter was kidnapped I knew they weren't gonna kill the kid. Etc. etc. etc. They also didn't spend enough time to sketch out the characters. Did we ever even see Franco's apartment from the inside, or see him in any scene outside of being paired with Foxx? If you're going to do a buddy comedy it's important to give an arc to both buddies, otherwise one just comes off as a sidekick. Likewise the Hunter Union wasn't mysterious or cool or interesting. It just seemed like an artifice, a box to be checked off by the plot.

Lastly, this is nitpicky/specific as hell but it was a big mistake to do the minigun digitally. Spend the extra 100k to spin up a real gun and chew a set apart. That might have made a mark.

It was nice to see Adkins pop up and kick a little rear end, although that entire scene was very off from a story perspective. At least it had some fun kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I have a soft spot for The One. And yeah Unleashed is a legit good movie.