Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

opengl128 posted:

I really don't understand why in those dashcam compilations you always see/hear the driver madly pawing at the button to save the clip. Are you running a 32MB SD card my dude? Just download the clip when you get home. Your average reasonably sized card will hold like a week's worth of footage.

I wanted to mark it as an event when I first saw the girl acting crazy, then she rear ended a guy at a red light. I pressed the wrong button and lost everything after her first crazy maneuver.

Now I know better and will be more cautious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Nothing too exciting just a normal day in TX from the new cam. Also don't buy a garmin mini2, I wanted something tiny but what a piece of junk

https://i.imgur.com/vE0MFSn.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/Tvic7Dw.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/p9QLTcm.mp4

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've got a Mini 2 and actually like it a lot. The only thing I find annoying is that saving a video is 1. too short and 2. loud as hell. Otherwise it's been completely trouble free for me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

IDGI, you both blew the same stop sign in an empty parking lot?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Stop signs in parking lots aren't real.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

They aren’t and I’m going to ignore them if it’s safe to do so

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
No, what's really amusing and harrowing are those "incoming traffic does not stop" intersections coming into places like shopping centers and malls.

"gently caress YOU SIGN, NO ONE MAKES ME *READ* WHEN I DON'T WANNA" (head-ons an ingressing car)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

opengl128 posted:

I really don't understand why in those dashcam compilations you always see/hear the driver madly pawing at the button to save the clip. Are you running a 32MB SD card my dude? Just download the clip when you get home. Your average reasonably sized card will hold like a week's worth of footage.
I have the short term memory of a goldfish even normally and I like to smoke weed so I forget to pull the card for weeks or months at a time.

It won't be an issue for anything I'm involved in or bad enough to be worth stopping for, but so far I haven't seen any of that.

Also this just reminded me I have some clips from the other day I need to retrieve.

---

This is why I wish someone would make a camera that had SMB upload support. When I get home and it sees my WiFi it should connect and upload any flagged clips to my network share.

I have figured out how to get my A129 to connect to my WiFi but it won't upload anything automatically, the server would need to reach out to it and download the files. Also having WiFi turned on causes some interference on the rear camera feed so I can't just leave it on.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

I've got a Mini 2 and actually like it a lot. The only thing I find annoying is that saving a video is 1. too short and 2. loud as hell. Otherwise it's been completely trouble free for me.

My problem with it is the video is potato quality and I can barely make out a plate of a car directly in front of me from the footage, and the app is basically useless on extracting footage (it basically crashes and disconnects exporting any clip over say 20 sec). I can always pop the sd card out but if it's gonna advertise having app compatibility it should work.

Safety Dance posted:

IDGI, you both blew the same stop sign in an empty parking lot?

Ahh haha I knew one of you goons would make the false equivalence of the guy barely slowing down with me coming down to like .25 mph so thanks

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hey, let he who comes to a complete stop for two full seconds cast the first stone.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Says stop, not park, the video was fine

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Any decent combination dashcam/backup cams? I’m assuming a license plate mount for the rear camera.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Donorcycleboi almost gets separated fro his friends, a tragedy barely averted by blowing through a 2 second old red light with a car already in the intersection waiting to turn left:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzPagFReu-4

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

The qucikness that this car changes direction after it hits the pole is unreal. Driver survived according to the description.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTBwUHzioP8

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
No hesitation there, he saved their life for sure. Good job

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Just got my A129 Duo and will be installing it in my mom's car tomorrow. It seems straight forward enough but I was wondering if anybody has any tips or advice they wish they knew before installing it. I won't be hard wiring it and worst case scenario I'm sure there are YouTube videos explaining how.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

limp_cheese posted:

Just got my A129 Duo and will be installing it in my mom's car tomorrow. It seems straight forward enough but I was wondering if anybody has any tips or advice they wish they knew before installing it. I won't be hard wiring it and worst case scenario I'm sure there are YouTube videos explaining how.

What do you mean not hard wiring, just using the adapter plug VS wiring it in to the fusebox? Assuming you're still going to have to run a power cable up to it from somewhere, start at the plug and put all the slack up by the camera. In most cars there's plenty of room where the roof interior meets the top of the windshield to tuck extra wire back there, and that then gives you the option of pulling it off its mount and pointing it around with your hand. Probably won't ever come up, but I did mine the other way and I just have a big roll of extra cable looped up by my power plug that is completely useless :(

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

limp_cheese posted:

I installed one and the only challenges I had was in the hard wiring. I didn't realize I had so many different fuse sizes so my two add a fuses almost didn't work.

If you're running the wire under trim pick up some plastic pry bars if you don't have them. And save the extra adhesives somewhere you can find. I had to replace the one on my rear window.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
The A129 comes with a little pry bar, it was good enough for me to lift trim and slide the cable underneath.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Takes No Damage posted:

What do you mean not hard wiring, just using the adapter plug VS wiring it in to the fusebox?

Yeah, just using the 12v adapter plug.

StormDrain posted:

If you're running the wire under trim pick up some plastic pry bars if you don't have them. And save the extra adhesives somewhere you can find. I had to replace the one on my rear window.

It came with a small plastic pry bar I'm hoping is enough.

Thank you both for the advice.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Just a couple of bad drivers I've caught recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTAfXEDOHjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u5gzRAiA6s

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Infinotize posted:

My problem with it is the video is potato quality and I can barely make out a plate of a car directly in front of me from the footage, and the app is basically useless on extracting footage (it basically crashes and disconnects exporting any clip over say 20 sec). I can always pop the sd card out but if it's gonna advertise having app compatibility it should work.

Weird, I have one too and have never had any app problems

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I bought a Street Guardian front and rear camera in 2019. In 2020, the front camera went blurry and StreetGuardian replaced it for free. They blamed me for using a sun shield in my car and said it cooked the camera. Well, I stopped using that, and two years later, the front camera is blurry again.

Not sure if there's a way to fix it myself since I'm out of warranty, but otherwise I'm going to be looking for a new unit as I am sure they are much better these days.

Is it worth spending the $$$ on another Street Guardian? I'm not sure because of the luck I've had with these. I am interested in the features I currently have - front and rear cameras that will also record while the car is not running. The one I have does a photo every 1 second when the car is off, which seems fine. I would like something that's good enough to see license plates though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I had mine go blurry too, have never used a sunshield. They don't seem to be interested in repair after warranty is over so 😒

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been asking about dash cams not knowing there was a thread!

I know nothing about them and don’t know where to start. Is there a thread favorite if I just want something somewhat out of sight, hard wired and automatic recording that just records over itself? My ideal setup is something of decent quality I can install and forget.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Rolo posted:

I’ve been asking about dash cams not knowing there was a thread!

I know nothing about them and don’t know where to start. Is there a thread favorite if I just want something somewhat out of sight, hard wired and automatic recording that just records over itself? My ideal setup is something of decent quality I can install and forget.

Viofo A119 v3

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
How weird, Linus Tech Tips just did a dashcam video. They also recommend the Viofo A119/A129. I put an A119 in my mum's car and both my partner's car and my car have the A129 because I wanted the rear camera as well. All three have been going fine for a few years no with no issues, and the one in my mum's came in handy when someone deliberately drove into the side of her a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AnyhHl3_tE&t=9s

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I’m in the process of replacing my A129 Pro front and rear with the Blackvue DR900X Plus front and rear.

I’m happy with the A129 but my hybrid has a tiny 12v battery, and I work from home, so parking mode kills my battery. Blackvue has the external battery so I’m going to be using that to solve that problem

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Rolo posted:

My ideal setup is something of decent quality I can install and forget.
Don't forget to check your camera every couple weeks. You'll want to make sure it hasn't been bumped and is still recording the view that you want, and that the card it is recording to is still working.

I'll echo that the Viofo cameras are excellent. I installed an A129 Plus in my sister's car last year and it works well. I have a Thinkware Q800 Pro in one of my cars and I also like it a lot. I also have a couple of Blackvue DR750S cameras. The image quality on those is excellent but the user interface isn't great- there isn't even a power button.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

TheGoatTrick posted:

Don't forget to check your camera every couple weeks. You'll want to make sure it hasn't been bumped and is still recording the view that you want, and that the card it is recording to is still working.

I'll echo that the Viofo cameras are excellent. I installed an A129 Plus in my sister's car last year and it works well. I have a Thinkware Q800 Pro in one of my cars and I also like it a lot. I also have a couple of Blackvue DR750S cameras. The image quality on those is excellent but the user interface isn't great- there isn't even a power button.

I mean this is to be expected? You don't really turn them off or on, you just leave them on.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Buff Hardback posted:

I mean this is to be expected? You don't really turn them off or on, you just leave them on.
I turn it off when I park in my garage so I don't drain my battery for no reason. I take a lot of short trips which don't necessarily charge the battery a ton, so I save it for when I actually need parking mode.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

A129 seems to also have the issue with going permanently out of focus when exposed to a lot of heat. I live in SoCal and heat and sunlight is just how it is here.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

FogHelmut posted:

A129 seems to also have the issue with going permanently out of focus when exposed to a lot of heat. I live in SoCal and heat and sunlight is just how it is here.

How much sun does it take to do this? I’m in a parking garage in NC but I do park in the sun for work sometimes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rolo posted:

How much sun does it take to do this? I’m in a parking garage in NC but I do park in the sun for work sometimes.

No idea, some say it's due to running parking security mode with front/rear cameras while also parked in direct sun on very hot days. Supposedly something happens with the lens unit shifting from getting too hot. You can open up the camera and refocus the lens manually. Might try that before buying a new one if I'm going to end up tossing this thing .

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I had the blurry lens thing on a Street Guardian and I didn't park it in the sun or anything

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Buff Hardback posted:

I’m happy with the A129 but my hybrid has a tiny 12v battery, and I work from home, so parking mode kills my battery. Blackvue has the external battery so I’m going to be using that to solve that problem
As far as I can tell the BlackVue battery offerings are the same generic OEM batteries a bunch of other brands sell on Amazon with wiring kits for basically any dashcam ever made, so you don't really need to replace your camera just to get a parking mode battery.

As for cameras, I'm happy with my A129 Pro Duo but having had it I think I should have gone with the Plus model instead. The 4K front camera doesn't really seem to offer any significant gain in visual quality but it definitely is more sensitive to heat. I haven't had any crashes since the firmware update last year but the forums still indicate a lot more issues with 4K cameras than lower, which is a trend I've also seen in action cams.

I haven't noticed any "blurry lens" issue yet even with the car mostly parked outside, I do have the polarized filter installed though so that might help protect it in some way.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If your iphone is mounted on motorcycle handlebars or other vibrating surfaces, it's going to break the autofocus function. A common issue actually, and I can imagine dashcams with autofocus having a similar problem

I can find a link if anyone care to read more about it

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nitrox posted:

If your iphone is mounted on motorcycle handlebars or other vibrating surfaces, it's going to break the autofocus function. A common issue actually, and I can imagine dashcams with autofocus having a similar problem

I can find a link if anyone care to read more about it

Huh, I sometimes mount my iphone on the handlebars when I need nav, hadn't considered that.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212803

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have a little Yamaha R3 that I mount my phone too, knock on wood it hasn’t been a beefy enough vibration in 3 years of owning it to do anything to any of my phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm also looking to put a dual dashcam into my 2018 Tiguan. I don't care at all about a parking mode, I'd actually rather it just turns entirely off when I park. I also don't particularly want GPS. I don't care about a hundred bucks one way or the other so price probably doesn't matter so much. It's regularly above 100 degrees and sunny out and I'm always parked outside. Is the VIOFO A129 Plus Duo still the best option?