Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Bonster posted:

Yeah, this family is seriously hosed up. That poor kid - abandoned by Dad, lied to by Mom, everyone just letting him suffer to keep up a pretty lie.

I dunno about everyone, it seemed like OP and others in the family thought the kid knew the truth. The mom probably lied to them about it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Bonster posted:

You know, when you raise a kid for ten years as his father, you're the kid's father as far as they're concerned. It's cold as hell to just abandon them. I mean, I get that it would be super painful as a spouse, but I can't imagine loving a kid for ten years and then noping out on them because they don't share my genetics.

Hey my bio dad and my step dad both did that to me and I turned out just.... oh wait

Old Woman Island fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 15, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Bonster posted:

You know, when you raise a kid for ten years as his father, you're the kid's father as far as they're concerned. It's cold as hell to just abandon them. I mean, I get that it would be super painful as a spouse, but I can't imagine loving a kid for ten years and then noping out on them because they don't share my genetics.

this is a thing that comes up every time one of these types of stories is posted. I can understand from the perspective of every time you look at the kid it's a reminder that someone you loved and trusted was lying to you for a decade. It's poo poo for the kid, but if that's happening I can understand running from that situation.

quote:

I noticed my nephew staring off and I try to look to see what he’s looking at, but I’m only 5’4, while he towers at 6’4. He takes off in the direction he’s looking in an aggressive manner.

I take off behind him because my intuition and the signs he was giving off said something was about to happen.

This makes the kid sound like a dog lol

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

Yeah I've been asked a lot more of "Oh you have a degree in X, but we don't really need someone with those skills".

If you're rich and going to school just cuz, sure get a degree in whatever.

If you expect to have to work for a living, you should treat college as job training and make sure to get the right training for jobs that you want to do. And check the cost of the education against the expected increase in earnings vs having no diploma.

I don't think that's actually good for society to treat college that way, but here we are.

I'm pretty sure most of the folks I knew in college pursuing a Philosophy degree were aiming for Law school afterwards. I'm not sure it's actually a good fit, but at least one of them is a lawyer now, which is at least potentially quite good money.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Strangest Finch posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the folks I knew in college pursuing a Philosophy degree were aiming for Law school afterwards. I'm not sure it's actually a good fit, but at least one of them is a lawyer now, which is at least potentially quite good money.

It's useful for law if you want to go into Jurisprudence but not essential.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also I don't know what the deal is here, but in most jurisdictions if you take the place of a father for 10 years then find out they are an affair baby a court will say 'oh hell no you don't get to walk away now, at a minimum you owe child support'. Courts don't like outcomes where children don't have support.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

ilmucche posted:

this is a thing that comes up every time one of these types of stories is posted. I can understand from the perspective of every time you look at the kid it's a reminder that someone you loved and trusted was lying to you for a decade. It's poo poo for the kid, but if that's happening I can understand running from that situation.

This makes the kid sound like a dog lol

I don't know, I just feel like that's part of being an adult. Get yourself some heavy duty counseling and at least send cards and gifts and spend short periods of time together, even if it hurts like hell, because your kid is hurting a lot more.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Alchenar posted:

Also I don't know what the deal is here, but in most jurisdictions if you take the place of a father for 10 years then find out they are an affair baby a court will say 'oh hell no you don't get to walk away now, at a minimum you owe child support'. Courts don't like outcomes where children don't have support.

It's entirely possible she didn't pursue it because she didn't want to have to fight anything in court, considering the web of lies involved.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Ethiser posted:

I knew a guy who got a philosophy degree and then went to seminary, which is probably a much better qualifier to preach a religion than whatever most people get.

that actually makes total sense and tracks

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Ethiser posted:

I knew a guy who got a philosophy degree and then went to seminary, which is probably a much better qualifier to preach a religion than whatever most people get.

My undergrad college had the philosophy and religion departments in the same building. They hated each other because they are trying to explore the timeless truths of reality but forced to share a building with pretentious assholes prattling on about made-up nonsense.

e: content

AITA for telling my sister in law that im pregnant at her engagement party?

quote:

I know this seems bad but hear me out please

I'm (24f) 4 months pregnant. My husband (29m) and I are very excited and we can't wait to be parents. We decided not tell people till the week after the party.

My in-laws own a winery and it's beautiful. It's where my sil (let's call her Taylor) got engaged at and the engagement party was. I'm known for loving wine (I'm not an alcoholic) but I like a glass of wine while out but with a glass of water for the rest of the outing.

So at the engagement party, I was drinking water and talking to my in laws when Taylor offer me a glass of wine. I told her that I don't feel like drinking. She kept offering me and I kept refusing. I made up so many excuses till she ask if I was pregnant as a joke. I nervously smile and tried to walk away. She screamed that I ruined her engagement party for telling her that I'm pregnant. Now my husband and I are not invited to her wedding. But am I the rear end in a top hat?

Soylent Pudding fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 15, 2022

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not baking an extra cupcake for my colleague?

quote:

made him "vomit blood".

Hang on, I really wanna revisit this one. Is there any possible explanation why Leo won't eat your baked goods.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

You bake tasty treats for everyone all the time, but you run out of silver dragees one time

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Poor guy probably just lost a board game to an opponent who was getting advice from ghosts

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
AITA for calling my brother an “inconsiderate, insecure, pompous dick?”

quote:

My brother and I are not very close. I can tolerate him if need be, but I think he struggles in many social situations. He can't seem to read basic social cues and makes many inappropriate comments and jokes. He has strong opinions about everything, jumps to unreasonable conclusions and never lets things go.

My wife and his wife have been friends for years. My wife doesn't like my brother much, but she is very polite and courteous towards him for the sake of my SIL.

My wife and I lost our 3-year-old son about a year ago. His death was sudden and there is not a day that goes by where I don't grieve him. There will never come a day, hour, minute or second I'll stop loving or thinking about my son.

In my family, talking about a dead child makes people uncomfortable and is almost treated as taboo. I'm not too fond of this culture, and I have been candid about going to therapy, counselling sessions, support groups etc.

My wife and I started going to marriage therapy after the loss of our son. My family believes that we are going to couples counselling because our marriage is failing or my wife isn't "satisfying me enough." This could not be further from the truth and I think it's a bit disgusting and ridiculous.

My SIL invited my wife and I for a nice dinner at their place to celebrate my wife's birthday. Most of my family would be there and she promised us no drama and/or unnecessary comments.

We got there and it was nice at first. Everyone was being respectful and I was having fun.

Near the end, a few people gave my wife small gifts. We were planning to open them at home and react privately but my brother was very adamant about seeing my wife's reaction to his gift. He was so sure that he had the "best gift," and wanted my wife to open his gift in front of everyone.

Nothing could have prepared me for his present.

He gave her a baby's romper meant for a newborn boy and an expensive set of lingerie. I was so shocked. When she looked at him, he laughed and said that it was to "motivate her to bring a spark back into the marriage."

Everyone was speechless until my wife politely thanked everyone for coming and then left, leaving my brother's gift. I told my brother that the gift was wrong and incredibly inappropriate. He started to get defensive and very aggressive so in anger, I called him an "inconsiderate, insecure, pompous dick."

My SIL (as well as a few other family members) told me that even if the gift was in bad taste, I shouldn't have called him such names and "provoked him." I may be the AH for the unnecessary name-calling.

No jury would convict on an assault charge in this situation.

AITA for questioning one of my cheerleaders about a weight gain?

quote:

Throwaway. I’m a varsity competitive cheer coach for high schoolers. I work for a club not a school which is important later on.

One of my students, “Cassidy”, has been slowly but very noticeably putting on weight over the last four-five months. She had to request a new uniform two sizes up. It’s gotten to the point where she just looks out of place and these types of things can cost us a competition.

About a week ago I pulled her aside during practice and gently explained that I needed my girls to be in good shape. I gave her a bit of a lecture on healthy eating and exercise habits. She seemed to take it pretty well.

But then she didn’t show up for practice at all since then. I had no idea what happened and neither did her teammates. Yesterday, I got a very angry call from Cassidy’s mother. Apparently she’s been in recovery for anorexia and I pushed her into a bad relapse. No one told me. She was even in partial hospitalization but I didn’t notice because she still showed up to practice (even though she missed school and obviously no one from her school would contact me)

Cassidy’s mom reported me to my boss and I was chewed out for it even though I had no way of knowing the situation. They’re considering suspending me. I’m inclined to think I did nothing wrong but everyone around me is calling me an rear end in a top hat for it.

I love how a teen recovering from anorexia stops fitting in with the rest of the group. Also, how did the coach find out that none of the rest of the squad knew about the anorexia? By asking them all and letting them know? That seems really hosed up too.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my sister in law that im pregnant at her engagement party?

NTA, and you just saved a bunch on gifts/wedding stuff.

:20bux: says she'd be all YOU RUINED MY WEDDING BY SHOWING UP PREGGERS

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for “exploiting” my daughter?

quote:

My daughter and son both have chores around the house. I just assigned them based on how I grew up. My son(14M) mows the lawn, takes out the trash, shovels snow with his dad and walks the dog after school. My daughter(16F) sets the table before meals, helps me cook and folds laundry with me.

This year my son refused to go to do home economics at school even though it fit his schedule the best and let’s him do his gym and computer course he wanted to do because he said he doesn’t know how to do any of that. I realized I’d been assigning based on gender roles and now my son doesn’t know how to cook and my daughter doesn’t know how to mow the lawn.

So told them we would swap their chores for the year and doubled their allowance so they wouldn’t complain. My son is learning to cook and my daughter is spending more time with her father. Except my in laws are upset because they saw my daughter mowing the lawn. They complained we were exploiting her by making her do hard manual labor after I explained to do what we were doing.

They’ve seen my son mow the lawn at least a dozen times and never had a problem with it even though he is younger. They told me my daughter wouldn’t have a good life if she learns a lady should touch garbage and do manual labor and she won’t go for a respectable job. They also worried she will get too muscular from all the manual labor and won’t be as attractive. I told them they are my kids and to buzz it but they keep texting my husband who is telling me to let the kids do their chores but tell them not to do it around their grandparents and lie about it if they say anything to get them off his back. I think it’s ridiculous and they shouldn’t have to lie about their chores when asked but AITA here?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If you are a professional adult with a child in your care then there are two kinds of life advice conversation you can have with them: the kind where you clear it with their parents first, and the kind where you make it clear to them that their parents will never find out.

If you aren't certain it's the latter then it's the former.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Muscles? On a female? :monocle:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

This is a parent who had a good idea about how to teach their kids to be self-sufficient adults, and turned it into a great idea when their realized their original conception was limited. The inlaws can go mow their inlawn and mind their business.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Muscles? On a female? :monocle:

Local mom finds one weird trick for getting swole, bodybuilders hate it

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Soylent Pudding posted:

I wish I had the foresight as a teenager to get ripped mowing the lawn.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Carrionwoman has spent the last three years in a various strength routines and every time I read her a story like that she gets incredibly angry at people thinking women can get swole doing minor chores instead of wasting hours in the gym.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I mowed the lawn as a teenager and I'm not ripped at all, what the gently caress?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

(M18) My girlfriend (F18) started dating me as a punishment

quote:

She admitted that this was why she asked me out but she might have started to catch real feelings for me.

Might started to catch "real" feelings?

loving oof, run boy run

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Deformed Church posted:

I mowed the lawn as a teenager and I'm not ripped at all, what the gently caress?

I mowed the lawn then and I'm mowing the lawn now and I'm still rocking an extremely goony physique, I want a refund

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

quote:

They also worried she will get too muscular from all the manual labor and won’t be as attractive.

Of all the ways in which their view of gender is outdated, this is the most hilarious. Like we don't all want to be with someone who can crush a watermelon with their thighs.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mow it with a scythe and you'll get your big arms (or maybe die).

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Help help I mowed a lawn and now I have muscles, I can't do anything to get rid of them

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

Mow it with a scythe and you'll get your big arms (or maybe die).

You changed your goddamn name again, min finsk bror

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

My undergrad college had the philosophy and religion departments in the same building. They hated each other because they are trying to explore the timeless truths of reality but forced to share a building with pretentious assholes prattling on about made-up nonsense.
I love how this can really go either way.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Probably came out like this
<horrifying image snipped>

Probably! It's the new "we've embalmed them beautifully" - "I've taxidermied them beautifully". Dude totally missed that taxidermy is a different skillset than embalming, and also definitely didn't run "Hey, do you want your beloved pet to be turned into a fluffy figurine" past his mom first.

Best his mom could hope for right now is having the dog's remains cremated and put in a nice urn to look at. That would have been more tasteful, too.

Evil Willow posted:

A story in which OP does not know what "estimate" means.

AITA for refusing to pay a contractor after he refused to finish building my deck at our agreed upon price?

Also doesn't understand why you can't just 'work around' a code violation, or something that could potentially result in the support for the deck collapsing.

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for asking my child to test food for me

Traditionally, food testers get paid, not threatened. Plus, it's not like there's a lack of other food; OP could easily go "nope, this is sketchy" and toss it as one should when there's risk for food poisoning.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Is it true you have to send in a photo with your job application in Europe?

AITA: For entering a massage parlor without showering

(added paragraph breaks)

"Sure, the manager asked me to shower, and sure, the way I describe the masseuse is creepy, but really? Am I the rear end in a top hat?"

Absolutely an rear end in a top hat, because I'm betting he had that "I've been sweating and doing hard manual labour" funk. They're not going to ask you to shower just because you're a little sweaty, they ask that because you're soaked in sweat and you stink.

Captain Fargle posted:

Did they move their 16 year old American kid from Pennsylvania out into the Gaeltacht?

loving hell that's got to be absolutely miserable for him.
Sounds like it. Not to mention, that's a pretty big move and it'd be rough even if he didn't have to suddenly change languages while he was at it.

Mx. posted:

AITA for teasing my son in public

"My son definitely isn't gay or trans!"
And if he is, or is even just questioning his identity in any way, OP just made it real clear that it's not safe to come out to dear old dad unless the kid is prepared to cut all contact.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Dr. Stab posted:

Of all the ways in which their view of gender is outdated, this is the most hilarious. Like we don't all want to be with someone who can crush a watermelon with their thighs.

Gimme a woman who can crush a watermelon with her thighs and I'll give you my future wife

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Gimme a woman who can crush a watermelon with her thighs and I'll give you my future widow

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i wish i could get a bit swole... it'd be nice to have a easier time opening bottles 😔

AITA for thinking it's ridiculous that my girlfriend's cat has decided I'm untrustworthy?

quote:

I (27F) am upset by the fact that my girlfriend, Ruby (28F) and her sister, Pearl (30F) have decided that Ruby's cat, Smudge (7M) has determined me to be untrustworthy. The reasons are as follows.

Ruby and I have been living together for about a year, and I have never owned a cat before. This isn't because I dislike cats – although I always had dogs growing up – but also simply because I haven't had a pet of my own since moving out, because I wanted to make sure that I was settled and stable in my career so that I could provide for one long-term. Ruby has owned Smudge since Smudge was a baby, his whole life, and I absolutely knew that dating Ruby meant hanging out with and eventually living with Smudge. I was very happy to have a pet back in my life. In light of that, I have tried my very drat best to become an educated cat owner, as plenty of friends and family were quick to advise that dogs and cats have completely different styles of communication and very different needs.

I did research about letting the cat come to you and how to respect Smudge's boundaries. I did research about what kinds of toys and stimulations that he was likely to need – although the internet tells me he will likely only play with the boxes anyway (so far, true). I learned that cats are territory animals, and moving into my apartment (I had the larger one) was going to be stressful for him. I have tried to let him get accustomed to my scent. I genuinely care for this cat, he's very cute and very important to Ruby, and I wanted to make sure that he's well loved and provided for and that I wasn't ignorantly making the move worse for him. But it's been just over a year, and Smudge...hasn't taken a shine to me, at all.

Pearl came over for a visit this weekend and told Ruby that this was a sign I was untrustworthy, because animals and their instincts always know best – especially about when people have secret red flags. She suggested that Smudge's coolness towards me was a sign that he knows something about me that Ruby doesn't, then went so far as to say that it could be that I'm cheating on Ruby or abusing Smudge. Ruby hesitated and then said that maybe Pearl was right and Smudge did know something. I was devastated and spent several hours sobbing in our bedroom while they talked. I love Ruby and I've come to feel, if not love, then at least deep affection for Smudge despite his reservations. Before Pearl left, I told her she was unbearably cruel for suggesting what she did, and that Smudge probably just needs more time to adjust to a new space. Ruby said I was being a terrible girlfriend and left with Pearl (and Smudge). I was expecting more support from my friends, but a lot of them have surprisingly made comments about animals' intuition and how Ruby is just being reasonably cautious.

AITA for thinking that Smudge probably just needs more time, and being hurt that both Ruby and Pearl feel that he has some higher insight?

cat judgement... or maybe rubys just getting second thoughts?? anyways both ruby and pearl sound like jackasses

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mowed the lawn then and I'm mowing the lawn now and I'm still rocking an extremely goony physique, I want a refund

Put down the beer.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Help help I mowed a lawn and now I have muscles, I can't do anything to get rid of them

Pick up the beer.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Booky posted:

AITA for thinking it's ridiculous that my girlfriend's cat has decided I'm untrustworthy?

cat judgement... or maybe rubys just getting second thoughts?? anyways both ruby and pearl sound like jackasses

What a bunch of morons. Its a loving cat, you could do literally everything for it and it could still hate you.

My money is on what you suggested and they are using the cat as cover.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Definitely using the cat as an excuse, whether they're aware of it or not.

My totally-projecting hunch is that Ruby has had Smudge since they were a baby and they act kittenish around her, while more cattish around the OP. Mine did that with other people, partially because I was fine with a bit rougher wrestling so he overdid it with more tender hands and soon learned not to play so much.

Also a bit of behavior I noticed that people expecting a cuddle-bug might not pick up on, if the cat just lounges on the other side of the room ignoring you, and you change rooms, do they move as well to join you? For some cat personalities that's a big signal.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I would also like to be that guy's widow's widower.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Booky posted:

i wish i could get a bit swole... it'd be nice to have a easier time opening bottles 😔

Your gf, her sister, and your entire friend group are a bunch of daft woo dipshits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for refusing to change my last name?

quote:

My mother passed away before I was ten. My uncle (mother's elder brother) took me in and raised me because my father by then had already started a new life and a new family.

My uncle treated me very well, though I'm not sure if my aunt feels the same about me as he did. My uncle and aunt had an only son who's around my age, and what he had I had it too. For example, if my uncle got cousin a laptop he would get me one too, and they would be the same worth. My uncle even got me a car for my 18th birthday. My cousin also treated me just like his own brother.

Needless to say, I am very grateful to have them in my life. Everything I have and that I am, is owed to them.

However, my relationship with my uncle has hit a slight snag recently.

In my culture, it's usually the parents who will help with purchasing a home for their sons when they get married. The reason is because people in my culture tend to marry young, but most of the time we would not have worked long enough to save up enough for even the down payment. For a man not to have a marital home is considered a disadvantage and the women's family may not accept the proposed union. So a man having a marital home is very important.

In my case, because my mother has passed away and my father is an absent parent, my uncle and aunt are my de-facto parents. Indeed, my uncle said he would buy me a marital home. However, he has set a condition for that - I have to change my last name to his.

Last names are a big deal in my culture so this is not something that is taken lightly. My uncle said since he's been like a father to me rather than my own father, and also as a rememberance to my mother, I should change my last name to his (which is also my mother's). So basically, no change in last name = no marital home.

I expressed to him that this is an unfair demand because like I said, last names are a huge deal in my culture and a change could trigger uncomfortable questions from people. But my uncle insisted that if I refuse to change my last name I would have to buy the marital home on my own, which is impossible because I'm a fresh grad and it could take me YEARS to even save up for the down payment. This could seriously set me back in terms of a romantic relationship and future marriage. Because of our disagreement, things between my uncle and I have become awkward.

So far, my aunt and cousin have not said anything to me, but a group of close friends whom I have confided to told me I'm the AH.

I'm surprised by their reaction, because other than this I had never gone against my uncle. I am also very thankful to my uncle and what he had done for me, and I would gladly take up the responsibility alongside my cousin to take care of him in his old age. It is just that I really don't think I should be forced into making a fundamental identity change and be punished for not doing it. AITA?