Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
MaRo posted his Dominaria United teaser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm kind of amazed at how much of a failure SNC is as a three color format. WOTC has experience making formats three color and encouraging that, and yet being a three or more color deck is so obviously a detriment in this format, surely WOTC was aware of that? The limited format gets play tested, at least somewhat, and that would have been borne out in the testing right?

Color balance is one thing, but completely missing the mark in terms of being a guild vs. three color format is kind of unforgivable, no?

Unforgivable lol. It was a bad limited set, they didn’t run you over with a car.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I avoid bad limited sets by not playing limited :bigbrain:

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

You don't allow guns, and then the moment doesn't allow you to make one of the fringe families cops.

This isn't an attempt to score points on you just that I read this and something twigged in the back of my mind and so I looked up the cards-

What is he supposed to be holding if not a gun?????????

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Its a medicinal dartgun used to inject tiny vials of lead at range

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Eight-Six posted:

A riveter

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eight-Six posted:

This isn't an attempt to score points on you just that I read this and something twigged in the back of my mind and so I looked up the cards-

It's a welder? You can even see the pilot point. (lightning or fire who can say, it's magical)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

Unforgivable lol. It was a bad limited set, they didn’t run you over with a car.

Let’s totally avoid discussion and focus on posters use of the word unforgivable. :hmmyes:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Hmm, anything obvious jump out to you guys? My buddy says the character that’s getting a card is someone named Gix.

Sickening posted:

Let’s totally avoid discussion and focus on posters use of the word unforgivable. :hmmyes:

Done and done.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

fadam posted:

Hmm, anything obvious jump out to you guys? My buddy says the character that’s getting a card is someone named Gix.

"New evergreen counter"--I think every evergreen keyword already has a counter, so I'm guessing this is either a new evergreen keyword that's also getting a counter, or a new counter that does something else? A counter that makes a permanent legendary, for instance (see: “As long as enchanted creature is legendary”)?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

HootTheOwl posted:

It's a welder? You can even see the pilot point. (lightning or fire who can say, it's magical)

I see where you're coming from but its "freelance muscle" and that looks like a loving gun. Even if not intended, I don't think you could call someone unreasonable for reading it as "gun"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

fadam posted:

Planeswalker reprint is probably Karn Liberated.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

big cummers ONLY posted:

I see where you're coming from but its "freelance muscle" and that looks like a loving gun. Even if not intended, I don't think you could call someone unreasonable for reading it as "gun"

Sure, but we know it's not though because it's Magic and guns aren't really allowed.
Arc throwers? Spell shooters? Sure, but actual guns that shoot bullets have been bared from the art style. its one of the reasons Goblin Sharpshooter is so special.
And of course the universes beyond (lol at making 40k without guns)

E:Also during the SNC reveal they said there wouldn't be guns (and played up how cool they thought FInger Guns were, like in arcane bombardment)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
My bet is the lhurgoyf gets bigger for each ability counter on it.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Ability word that wasn't originally an Ability word is either threshold or domain, probably domain.

Edit: it could also be imprint.

Abhorrence fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 15, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Judgy Fucker posted:

"New evergreen counter"--I think every evergreen keyword already has a counter, so I'm guessing this is either a new evergreen keyword that's also getting a counter, or a new counter that does something else? A counter that makes a permanent legendary, for instance (see: “As long as enchanted creature is legendary”)?

Could also be something to do with compleation/becoming phyrexian. Maybe grants Infect if poison is back?

Conversely could be an keyword ability counter that they didn't use in Ikoria like uhhhh, Prowess?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hmm, aren't the Weatherlight crew all dead of old age/storyline? Except Squee, so I'm hype for Squee's return.

Gerard's ghost?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hmm, aren't the Weatherlight crew all dead of old age/storyline? Except Squee, so I'm hype for Squee's return.

Gerard's ghost?
Resurrected Ertai just showed up in today's fiction at least.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gerard's ghost?

There is whole Weatherlight The New Generation that was introduced in Dominaria

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

Planeswalker reprint is probably Karn Liberated.

Would love to see what the Arena animation & sound effects are for restarting the game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

There is whole Weatherlight The New Generation that was introduced in Dominaria

I think that's why Maro specifies the original Weatherlight crew.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

How come he never teases that there will be cards that are good and playable?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

How come he never teases that there will be cards that are good and playable?

I blame Commander

on topic though I am excited for more merfolk that was my first deck when I started in Lorwyn and I will always have a soft spot

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Also, Amazon has a listing up for a set called "Dominaria Remastered" that's release is scheduled for January.

No idea if Dom Remastered is going to be something like Double Feature - just slamming Dom United and Brother's War together. Or if it's a more ambitious undertaking like Time Spiral Remastered where its card pool is drawn from various Dominaria focused sets. I hope it's drawing a lot from the old sets like Invasion, Odyssey, Mirage, Ice Age, and freshening it all up with more recent cards. Has the potential to be a really great limited experience if they print enough of it.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

Would love to see what the Arena animation & sound effects are for restarting the game.

Bold of you to assume the audio bug would be fixed by then.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

We’re getting a epilogue shortly after one of the unannounced sets too I think. Looks like they’re playing around with how they can package and release cards from standard sets outside of the actual set itself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Resurrected Ertai just showed up in today's fiction at least.

Ah, so it's just Karn, Squee and Ertai.

I'll take it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AngryBooch posted:

if they print enough of it.
lol

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I had some early press access and will only say the Planeswalker is one you will know.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

I mean, the last comparable set was double feature and they printed way more than enough of that :v:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Sure, but we know it's not though because it's Magic and guns aren't really allowed.
Arc throwers? Spell shooters? Sure, but actual guns that shoot bullets have been bared from the art style. its one of the reasons Goblin Sharpshooter is so special.

E:Also during the SNC reveal they said there wouldn't be guns (and played up how cool they thought FInger Guns were, like in arcane bombardment)

They also had the "throw New Capenna release parties, where the economy is based on Halo - a drug/energy source/alcohol?, but don't have drugs or alcohol!!" shtick

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

quote:

• a blue card with “destroy all creatures”
Mass Pongify.

quote:

• a five mana value creature that can be a 10/10
Sunbust, Sunburst (or double domain)

quote:

• three original Weatherlight crew members are in the set
Karn is a big player in the story, Ertai just showed up And Multani is referenced as alive.

quote:

• an ability word that didn’t start as an ability word returns
Domain?

quote:

• rare cycle of +1/+1 granting lords
Who's ready for the third version of Lord of Atlantas?

quote:

• Legendary Creature – Elf Artificer
We saw her in today's story, Meria
No Phyrexian Dreadnoughts, but they were in the story so you know they're back!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ShaneB posted:

I had some early press access and will only say the Planeswalker is one you will know.

How would it not be when it's a "popular" planeswalker getting a reprint?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Don't tell me they're putting Hero of Dominaria back in loving standard

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Again, I totally understand and agree with everything you're saying- my point is that anyone looking at that without any of that outside context will look at that card and think "that rhino has a gun". Someone saying "oh its OBVIOUSLY a welder" has big "napkins are a vegetable" energy imo. I'll stop derailing about it lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Glad to hear they’re reprinting Wrenn and Six in standard.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HootTheOwl posted:

Are you saying they're the exception or have to follow the rule because they've shown art from the decks and guns are very prominent.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Glad to hear they’re reprinting Wrenn and Six in standard.

Nah, it’s JtMS. This time it will be different and not ruin standard for two years, we promise!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mikeraskol posted:

How would it not be when it's a "popular" planeswalker getting a reprint?

Because Maro's definitions are whack. It's like a legitimately playable card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If Domain is back I'm making that deck. Hell yeah.

HootTheOwl posted:

Karn is a big player in the story, Ertai just showed up And Multani is referenced as alive.

Then they're keeping Squee for the Return to Mercadia dozens of us want.