Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Math You posted:

Only critically endangered according to that Wikipedia article too. I uhh.. would not be too happy if I caught one of those and it died!

Wiki says Goliath Grouper are endangered as well, but if you ask local guides and fisherman they will tell you the opposite. Juvenile goliaths are taking over a lot of inshore fisheries in south Florida. I'd be curious what the local guides over there say about the giant sea bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Garden City fishing report:

Evening inlet with sandfleas: skunked
Morning surf with shrimp: skunked

I do like surf fishing here though. I'm used to Hatteras fishing which is more hand-to-hand combat than I care for.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Woodpile posted:

which is more hand-to-hand combat than I care for.

Like with the fish or rude people crowding you

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Just bought some new fishing lures the last couple days, now sitting in my living room in my underwear, watching Bonanza, and organizing/rearranging my tackle box as well as putting my new stuff in its spot.

Its very relaxing, but also exciting at the same time.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Just bought some new fishing lures the last couple days, now sitting in my living room in my underwear, watching Bonanza, and organizing/rearranging my tackle box as well as putting my new stuff in its spot.

Its very relaxing, but also exciting at the same time.

Playing with / organizing your lures and thinking about fishing has always at least been as good as going fishing

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

the yeti posted:

Like with the fish or rude people crowding you

The surf. I don't fish Cape Hatteras often, people can get lippy out there.

Caught a big eel in the inlet today. Never want to catch another.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Went fly fishing for the first time with my maxcatch rod and reel. Overall it worked great! Caught four brown trout and missed another three I think.

Casting was okay, fished a pretty tight little stream with lots of brush, only lost one fly!

First fish was a 12-13” brown that really put up a great fight on the 3wt rod.

I think I’m hooked, need to get out and do some panfishing soon.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DoctaFun posted:

Went fly fishing for the first time with my maxcatch rod and reel. Overall it worked great! Caught four brown trout and missed another three I think.

Casting was okay, fished a pretty tight little stream with lots of brush, only lost one fly!

First fish was a 12-13” brown that really put up a great fight on the 3wt rod.

I think I’m hooked, need to get out and do some panfishing soon.

I have not lived in an area with that many trout, but that sounds like a busy day. They can't all be that good, but its nice to get your first day like that.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Sickening posted:

I have not lived in an area with that many trout, but that sounds like a busy day. They can't all be that good, but its nice to get your first day like that.

Absolutely spoiled for sure. My in laws have a trout stream that runs through their property, it’s really small water, but they have a bridge over it for their driveway, where the water drops down a few feet, leaving a couple deeper holes. Most of the fish came out of that hole. The first one was ~12”, then I think a couple of 8”, and a 10” or so.

They live in SE MN, there’s quite a few nice streams down there with mainly browns and stocked rainbows, and a few brookies, need to spend more time down there!

I imagine when I try fishing a stream that actually gets fishing pressure it will be a much more humbling experience lol, but I’m fully prepared for that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Woodpile posted:

The surf. I don't fish Cape Hatteras often, people can get lippy out there.

Caught a big eel in the inlet today. Never want to catch another.

? Isn’t eel delicious?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DoctaFun posted:

Absolutely spoiled for sure. My in laws have a trout stream that runs through their property, it’s really small water, but they have a bridge over it for their driveway, where the water drops down a few feet, leaving a couple deeper holes. Most of the fish came out of that hole. The first one was ~12”, then I think a couple of 8”, and a 10” or so.
My grandparents lived on one of the best trout streams in Minnesota. Unfortunately everyone knows about it and it gets hammered. It was one of the first streams the DNR bought access rights from farmers for anglers. The program was so successful that they’ve done that with thousands of miles of blue ribbon water in SE MN since then.

quote:

They live in SE MN, there’s quite a few nice streams down there with mainly browns and stocked rainbows, and a few brookies, need to spend more time down there!
Understatement of the year! Although only a couple streams have stickers. It’s mostly wild browns and rookies in the real skinny water.

quote:

I imagine when I try fishing a stream that actually gets fishing pressure it will be a much more humbling experience lol, but I’m fully prepared for that.
There’s so much good water down there that never gets fished. Why go to the few places that get hammered?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

You should share some spots with me. I am on the NW exburbs of Minneapolis and have been fishing the Mississippi and Crow rivers. I have a 5wt now and want to get into more streams but I don’t have a clue where to start outside of the lakes and access points in the Crow and Mississippi I know about.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Crab Dad posted:

? Isn’t eel delicious?

I have no doubt. But I've only caught two and don't know how to cook them.

Species caught so far:

Eel, croaker, pinfish, black grouper (maybe? little fella), toadfish. My eldest is doing well. We're not catching anything noteworthy, but it's a good time.

I made a new fishing buddy. A kid about 12 who had the biggest catch yet: hooked his toddler brother RIGHT ABOVE HIS loving EYEBALL on the backcast. Luckily mom (nurse), dad (firefighter) and an emt were on the deck. There was some screaming.

Dude was back running around in 5 minutes.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Dik Hz posted:

My grandparents lived on one of the best trout streams in Minnesota. Unfortunately everyone knows about it and it gets hammered. It was one of the first streams the DNR bought access rights from farmers for anglers. The program was so successful that they’ve done that with thousands of miles of blue ribbon water in SE MN since then.

Understatement of the year! Although only a couple streams have stickers. It’s mostly wild browns and rookies in the real skinny water.

There’s so much good water down there that never gets fished. Why go to the few places that get hammered?

Very interesting you bring up access rights, my in laws just got a letter from the DNR offering some money for a levy for public access to the stream. They aren’t sure what to do with it, they don’t really want to give public access, but they are also worried that all their neighbors are getting the same letter and the end result will either be public access with them getting some money from the DNR, or public access without them getting access. Any insight or things they should think about?

I definitely need to get my rear in gear and start hiking/exploring down there more. My FIL has walked like every mile of stream down there in his life, and has a few impressive brown trout and brook trout on the wall!

I need to just open a map and hike to the most remote portions of whitewater or some of the streams further south.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Very interesting you bring up access rights, my in laws just got a letter from the DNR offering some money for a levy for public access to the stream. They aren’t sure what to do with it, they don’t really want to give public access, but they are also worried that all their neighbors are getting the same letter and the end result will either be public access with them getting some money from the DNR, or public access without them getting access. Any insight or things they should think about?

I definitely need to get my rear in gear and start hiking/exploring down there more. My FIL has walked like every mile of stream down there in his life, and has a few impressive brown trout and brook trout on the wall!

I need to just open a map and hike to the most remote portions of whitewater or some of the streams further south.

Its crazy that states exist there you can have private water rights to streams. Your parents are right about their feelings though, if they don't talk to their neighbors, they are rolling the dice.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

it's not really the water itself, just the land up to it. As in, if you can't walk up to it, you can't fish it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

it's not really the water itself, just the land up to it. As in, if you can't walk up to it, you can't fish it.

I don't think there is a state out there where you are allowed to trespass private property to access a stream. I think the only thing that differs is that most states specify that you can't prevent people from walking the stream from accessible areas into your property. The water and a reasonable area of bank of the stream is public.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Sickening posted:

I don't think there is a state out there where you are allowed to trespass private property to access a stream. I think the only thing that differs is that most states specify that you can't prevent people from walking the stream from accessible areas into your property. The water and a reasonable area of bank of the stream is public.

I always read it that way too

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Is there any reason not to use monofilament line thats been on a reel since shortly after I bought it? We're talking somwhere around 10-15 years.

I know that some mono can have a "memory" and that might give me some issues, otherwise knowing me, it hasn't been used that much, I can't remember the weight, but its probably about 15 ish pound test. Don't remember offhand where the line came from, but its probably a Berkely product.

Also, its spent most of its life out of the sun, but probably spent a fair amount of time in a hot car trunk during summers.

Its my secondary rod that I don't use much, usually when I want to either fish two rods for changing baits quick, or I'll use it, when I have a "fishing guest" and give them my main rod since based on the abuse I give that one, I know most people aren't going to break it unless they REALLY gently caress up.

I have similarly aged 30lb power pro braid on my main rod but I'm not worried about that poo poo. It'll change the earth's orbit.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Is there any reason not to use monofilament line thats been on a reel since shortly after I bought it? We're talking somwhere around 10-15 years.

I know that some mono can have a "memory" and that might give me some issues, otherwise knowing me, it hasn't been used that much, I can't remember the weight, but its probably about 15 ish pound test. Don't remember offhand where the line came from, but its probably a Berkely product.

Also, its spent most of its life out of the sun, but probably spent a fair amount of time in a hot car trunk during summers.

Its my secondary rod that I don't use much, usually when I want to either fish two rods for changing baits quick, or I'll use it, when I have a "fishing guest" and give them my main rod since based on the abuse I give that one, I know most people aren't going to break it unless they REALLY gently caress up.

I have similarly aged 30lb power pro braid on my main rod but I'm not worried about that poo poo. It'll change the earth's orbit.

Mono is so cheap that it’s rarely worth not replacing. It will be more brittle being that old. What really matters if you are about breaking a line off while casting or when you get bit.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Yes, mono will break down over time and weaken but it's super cheap! I'd highly recommend buying a fresh spool before you fish it again. As for your braid, maybe it's different with freshwater fishing, but at least in the salt your braid will need to be replaced every so often.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

My go to mono is red Cajun for all fish that don’t give a poo poo about line color. For fish that do I just use flouro.

I will also say that braid can get really cheap when ordered online and I simply can’t tell the different in quality. I also don’t use braid stronger than 8 pounds though, so rmv.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Crab Dad posted:

? Isn’t eel delicious?

to speckled sea trout it is

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Sickening posted:

I think this is correct from what I read in the DNR’s offer letter thing. I believe it’s 60’ from the center of the stream on each side is accessible to the public, anyone can be there. But like you said, if there’s no way to get within 60’ of the stream without trespassing, you’re out of luck.

60’ is a lot on this stream, as there are many parts that are ~10 feet wide or less.

My in laws have no false ideas that they own the water or are the only ones entitled to enjoy it, they are more worried I think about people being idiots, trashing their property(like leaving garbage and stuff, not like large scale destruction), clogging up their already tight driveway, and a loss of privacy that they enjoy today.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

DoctaFun posted:

I think this is correct from what I read in the DNR’s offer letter thing. I believe it’s 60’ from the center of the stream on each side is accessible to the public, anyone can be there. But like you said, if there’s no way to get within 60’ of the stream without trespassing, you’re out of luck.

60’ is a lot on this stream, as there are many parts that are ~10 feet wide or less.

My in laws have no false ideas that they own the water or are the only ones entitled to enjoy it, they are more worried I think about people being idiots, trashing their property(like leaving garbage and stuff, not like large scale destruction), clogging up their already tight driveway, and a loss of privacy that they enjoy today.

Well in Texas its a bit different. As an example today I was down on the San Marcos and apparently the road I had used for the past like 5 times is private but is not labeled as such. Some lady called the cops who came down to talk to us and was not sure about the road. I also clarified that the land near the river is legal to walk on even though its private property. I walked on the land next to the river to get around a deep hole while the cop was still there and another lady came screaming across the field near the river. She then got in the water and started throwing rocks at me. I called the cops and walked away. Basically their answer was to use the public entrance and avoid them all together.

https://goo.gl/maps/KGww8xE8Cyu7wdQz7

I have never in my life been harassed so much in my life about walking near a river in my life. If you are worried about privacy and people doing dumb poo poo on your property then my advice would be don't own a property directly next to a public waterway.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DoctaFun posted:

I have hiked hundreds of miles of public purchased easements in southeast Minnesota and have run into trash only in a few specific high-traffic spots. From the way you describe it, I would expect fewer than 10/month anglers during the season to access your in-laws property. The slobs and boors aren’t hiking into skinny water. Also, the easement does not convey parking rights.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DoctaFun posted:

Unless they’re within an hour of the Cities, take the money. The types of fisherman that fish skinny water like that have virtually no impact.

quote:

Every inch of whitewater gets hammered due to its proximity to the Cities. Fish south of 90.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hekk posted:

You should share some spots with me. I am on the NW exburbs of Minneapolis and have been fishing the Mississippi and Crow rivers. I have a 5wt now and want to get into more streams but I don’t have a clue where to start outside of the lakes and access points in the Crow and Mississippi I know about.
For trout, your closest spot is the Kinnickinnic in Wisconsin. Huge stream with tons of trout. Big ones too. Hike in to the remoter spots for better fishing. I have not figured this stream out; it’s tough and there isn’t much like it around.

Kinny brown

All my spots are down around Rushford, where my mom grew up. For starters, you can park in the Enterprise rest stop and scramble down the hill behind it it fish the Rush on a section that doesn’t get a ton of pressure. It’s overrun with the 9-10” size class right now. So they’re easy to catch and good table fare. Should be bonkers in a year or two as that size class matures.

The Rush valley is ridiculously scenic.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 11, 2022

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

GORGEOUS

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Hello thread.

I am a new angler, and am going to go fish at Lake Fairfax later today. I got a pretty cheap Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Combo, and a huge pack of lures. Do I just tie the lure to the end of the line using a clinch knot, and then start casting away? Or do I need to also tie a bobbing thing to the line.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Pron on VHS posted:

Hello thread.

I am a new angler, and am going to go fish at Lake Fairfax later today. I got a pretty cheap Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Combo, and a huge pack of lures. Do I just tie the lure to the end of the line using a clinch knot, and then start casting away? Or do I need to also tie a bobbing thing to the line.

Can you snap a photo of or describe the lures? Are you fishing from the bank? On a dock? A boat? Are you trying to target any specific fish?

I ask because if you are just trying to catch whatever type of fish you can, it’d be super easy to start by targeting panfish (bluegill, sunfish, pumpkinseed, crappie, etc).

Whereas if you want to catch largemouth bass or something else, you might need a more focused setup and fishing strategy.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 11, 2022

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I am fishing from a dock/shore situation, on a freshwater lake that has catfish, bass, sunfish, black crappie, bullhead and bluegill.

This is the set of lures I bought : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074W3NY4Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

titties
May 10, 2012

Pron on VHS posted:

I am fishing from a dock/shore situation, on a freshwater lake that has catfish, bass, sunfish, black crappie, bullhead and bluegill.

This is the set of lures I bought : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074W3NY4Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Yes, those types of lures can just be tied onto the end of the line. Bobbers are generally for fishing with live bait.

Are you going with someone who has some experience? Different types of lures are meant to be fished with different techniques, and if you have an experienced partner they can help you figure out how to use what you got.

Ideally you will use lures that are the right weight for your rod, reel, and line. The underside of the rod should tell you what lure weight the rod is best used with.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Nah going by myself.

The Ugly Stik Spinning Combo I got has a rod that is 6'6", Medium, and has a Line Rating of 6-14 lbs, and a Lure Rating of 1/4-3/4 (don't know what this means). The line I bought to put on this is a SpiderWire Stealth Braid Fishing Line with a Line Weight of 15 lbs.

titties
May 10, 2012

Pron on VHS posted:

Nah going by myself.

The Ugly Stik Spinning Combo I got has a rod that is 6'6", Medium, and has a Line Rating of 6-14 lbs, and a Lure Rating of 1/4-3/4 (don't know what this means). The line I bought to put on this is a SpiderWire Stealth Braid Fishing Line with a Line Weight of 15 lbs.

That means that it's best to use lures that weigh between 1/4 and 3/4 of an ounce.

Since you'll be solo, you can look up a video on Texas, Carolina, and ned rigging to see how to use those offset hooks and larger plastics, and look up panfish jigging to see how to use the smaller plastics with the jig heads.

That kit looks like it includes some topwater frogs, crankbaits, jerk baits, swim baits, and casting spoons. Now that you have some of the common names for them you can look up some information on how to use them.

Apologies if I'm explaining below your knowledge level. I'm not trying to talk down to you or anything.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Nah going by myself.

I would recommend tying on a jig with your setup.

About anything on there should work , the jig is just the easiest.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
I like all this Driftless Minnesota talk. I'm going to Chatfield and/or Forestville today. That is my post for the day.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hopper patterns. That is all.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm headed to northern Ontario near Chapleau for Labor Day weekend, anyone have any tips for walleye about that time of the year?

Going with the kiddo so quantity >> size. I know I'll need lead free tackle for jigs and such. So far I'm hearing jigging with soft baits, white or yellow perchish, and running rock piles and breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yooper posted:

I'm headed to northern Ontario near Chapleau for Labor Day weekend, anyone have any tips for walleye about that time of the year?

Going with the kiddo so quantity >> size. I know I'll need lead free tackle for jigs and such. So far I'm hearing jigging with soft baits, white or yellow perchish, and running rock piles and breaks.

I posted some Ontario Walleye questions a few pages ago. Try checking them out and some of the responses. But uhh yeah also goons can feel free to give more specific advice and such. As I would also like to gain more such knowledge.

E: Here's my OP on the subject.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3933162&pagenumber=54&perpage=40#post525268695

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 16, 2022