Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Exodemic

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1928370/Exodemic/

Do I post about this in the metaprogression thread or the shooters thread? :thunk:

Anyway it's a very lofi bite sized space shooter with constant time pressure, you race against the clock as a virus kills everyone, upgrading your ship to purge the virus with superior firepower - all done with three buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
What I don't like about CoL's roguelike is that it's deathly scared of synergies, which is my favorite thing about roguelikes. (Or the weak baby roguelites that I mostly play.) There is some variation in what you get during a run, but it's all relatively piddly bonuses that don't interact with each other much.

So right now, I've got a card that heals me a bit 10% 20% of the time I kill someone and a card that doubles the healing I get and I've been keeping an eye on my health to see if the cards will stack and I am pretty sure I just healed a bit and it was the standard half-a-heart. LAME.

KingKapalone posted:

Seems like I'm getting bugs in Cult that make it so I can't assign someone to the Healing Bay and my lumberyard and stone mine don't do anything. Just restarted but nothing. Can't really get enough lumber.

You can delete the lumberyard in the Editing Buildings menu at the build table, then build a new one.

Annoying, I know.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 14, 2022

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Chakan posted:

No, Gooncrawl was being maintained by one person and they decided it was in a good spot and they were busy, so it was shelved. I’m trying to learn how to do all that work to merge some changes and make some updates because it’s been a few years, but this has been an extraordinarily busy year.

Which is to say, Gooncrawl is great and can be played on webtiles, everyone should go splat some disciples of Beogh today!

Oh, good news then. Goonspeed :cheers:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

victrix posted:

Exodemic

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1928370/Exodemic/

Do I post about this in the metaprogression thread or the shooters thread? :thunk:

Anyway it's a very lofi bite sized space shooter with constant time pressure, you race against the clock as a virus kills everyone, upgrading your ship to purge the virus with superior firepower - all done with three buttons

Oooo I like the look of this, wishlisted for now.

I am so bad at Rift Wizard. Not at like, planning builds, just at playing the game. I want to get better because it has the same 'develop completely broken combos' energy as Siralim Ultimate, which is probably my favourite game at the moment.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cult of the lamb seems like the very definition of a flavor of the month game. I haven’t seen anything compelling enough to ever start up another save file once I’ve beaten the game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I know this is the roguelike thread but 'will only play through it once' isn't really a negative, so long as that one playthrough is a good time.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I think this is one of the few genres where "will only play through it once" is actually a dealbreaker

At least for me if I only beat a RL once it usually means it sucks and I just beat it and left. A good RL will keep me wanting to come back for higher difficulties or different characters etc.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Even among roguelites CoL is very light on that scale. Randomized dungeons that reset if you die. That it! It's like, just a game you can beat and put down like Hades. That's ok, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone looking for an infinitely replayable game like an actual roguelike.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Cult of the Lamb is fun, but I am getting constant freezes on PS5. Almost every time I do a ritual it happens, then the cultists go back to where they were, and the Lamb just sits there doing nothing until I restart.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
When I said earlier that Rogue not having metaprogression was because of its age, I didn't mean that having metaprogression was a technological limitation; it's more that that was how games kinda were back then, like how having metaprogression is how games kinda are these days. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Also yeah, I'm very much feeling the Mordor vibe with CoL. Great personality and enough randomness and persistence to get your brain absolutely hooked on your particular story (the rear end in a top hat cultist who took my long absence and mild hunger as an excuse to kick off a revolt is gonna be in my head for a while), but no real urge to see how things might play out differently in a hypothetical round 2.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Somfin posted:

Also yeah, I'm very much feeling the Mordor vibe with CoL. Great personality and enough randomness and persistence to get your brain absolutely hooked on your particular story (the rear end in a top hat cultist who took my long absence and mild hunger as an excuse to kick off a revolt is gonna be in my head for a while), but no real urge to see how things might play out differently in a hypothetical round 2.

This feels like a pretty good analogy. I think I’ll be happy with Cult of the Lamb if it ends up being a good 20 hour game I play through once, which it seems to be on track for 10 hours in. Maybe I’ll come back again if the roadmap makes it more repayable down the line, but im honestly not really looking for games that much longer than this. I’ve already got plenty of super replayable/multiplayer stuff as it is. It feels like they are calling it a “roguelike” maybe more because of the individual repeated runs through dungeons, it doesn’t seem like they’d expect you to repeat the whole story again. Maybe im wrong about their expectations, but I do think if you take it on those terms you’ll enjoy it for what it is.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Cult of the Lamb has so many problems, it should be an early access title really. I've run into numerous bugs, softlocks etc. The balance is also compeltely whack.

My favorite is the mantle that gives +10% damage each time you kill someone with out getting hit. This has no cap, i repeat, this has no cap. You can one shot bosses with this if you have a shotgun spell.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

I think this is one of the few genres where "will only play through it once" is actually a dealbreaker

It's not just a dealbreaker, it's the antithesis of a roguelike. What's the point of having a procedurally generated game when you only play it once? It's slightly different for everyone, whoop de doo. Roguelikes are meant to offer me a different challenge every time.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

FrickenMoron posted:

Cult of the Lamb has so many problems, it should be an early access title really. I've run into numerous bugs, softlocks etc. The balance is also compeltely whack.

My favorite is the mantle that gives +10% damage each time you kill someone with out getting hit. This has no cap, i repeat, this has no cap. You can one shot bosses with this if you have a shotgun spell.

Yeah, I bought it and started a run but am starting to think it might be best to let it sit for a couple months and see if the first few patches don't tighten it up a little. Most of the community seems to have similar complaints so the optimist in me imagines the developer already at work fixing and improving stuff.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like the artstyle of Cult but I cannot stand how the animals with big snouts or trunks look terrible. I hate it. Their faces are aligned the same for everyone so it does not work at all.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

FrickenMoron posted:

yea but the hitboxes (and some of the weapons) means you'll just eat poo poo and lose it all out of no where sometimes

it definitely is the strongest and it's hilarious tho

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't want to rag on it too much because Ido think it's a good game but wrt balance, very funny how absolutely dogshit hammers are compared to stuff like claws, and how you're guaranteed to get a hammer when you first enter the hardest area in the game(the 3rd one)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hammers are great! Probably my favorite weapon actually. Utterly destroys everything you manage to hit.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

yea but the hitboxes (and some of the weapons) means you'll just eat poo poo and lose it all out of no where sometimes

it definitely is the strongest and it's hilarious tho

It's particularly great how your actual weapon hitboxes have no relation *at all* to your swing visuals.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Backpack Hero came out today as Early Access with a 10% discount. I loved the browser demo so this was an instant purchase for me. Looking forward to the new additions and characters!

Grab Im Moor fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 15, 2022

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Huge Manatee posted:

It's particularly great how your actual weapon hitboxes have no relation *at all* to your swing visuals.

:yeah:
it's really funny how the claws seem nightmarishly bad until you realize their range is like 40% longer than it looks

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

HopperUK posted:

Oooo I like the look of this, wishlisted for now.

I am so bad at Rift Wizard. Not at like, planning builds, just at playing the game. I want to get better because it has the same 'develop completely broken combos' energy as Siralim Ultimate, which is probably my favourite game at the moment.

Rift Wizard was a game I really threw myself at for a few weeks, but it started to feel like there was only a few combinations of spells that really worked. This is probably because I’m not that good at the game, but it was satisfying to get a good run with the right ritual circles to get some high-level spells a floor or two early.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I feel like Rift Wizard is a bit misleading in that it looks like a crazy combo building game, and there are some crazy combos, but outside of the most broken stuff it's honestly probably easier to just do goodstuffs builds.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Grab Im Moor posted:

Backpack Hero came out today as Early Access with a 10% discount. I loved the browser demo so this was an instant purchase for me. Looking forward to the new additions and characters!
$16.99 is such an arbitrary price but I'm still buying it

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

SettingSun posted:

Hammers are great! Probably my favorite weapon actually. Utterly destroys everything you manage to hit.

I had the funniest run with the hammer where I got an upgraded attack speed tarot card. Was swinging that hammer as fast as a dagger, and it was a sight to behold.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Beat Cult of the Lamb.

I'd say the RG part and the base part are both a weak 7 at best, but they work well together and combined with a killer aesthetic I'll raise that to an 8.

Final fight protip: There is no dungeon, you just choose from 3 weapons and 3 powers at the start, then go straight to the boss fight. I wish I wore the "get 4 Tarot cards" Fleece for that one. That said, it was still pretty easy, with 3 demons and 4 extra starting hearts I beat it on first try.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Grab Im Moor posted:

What can you tell me about backpack hero?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

RC Cola posted:

What can you tell me about backpack hero?

It's an inventory management roguelike; you've got a grid-based inventory you fit all your various items in, and when you level up you also get the chance to expand your inventory. It's not a deckbuilder but it's very Slay the Spire inspired (has the same energy system, block system, enemy intents, etc.). I think one of its greatest strengths is that it really attempts to make the inventory management matter, and a bunch of items function in very unique ways:
  • Ranged weapons fire the first arrow/bolt in their column (for every column they cover), and arrows/bolts get more damage based on how many empty spaces are in front of them.
  • Magic is conductive, so to use any magic item you need to connect your mana gems directly to the item, or otherwise form a chain of conductive elements to get it there.
  • Armor generally gives you passive shielding, but all of the armor pieces give you more if you arrange them how you'd actually wear them: helmets on the top of your inventory, boots on the bottom, etc.
  • Just in general there's a lot of weird and fun items that depend really heavily on how you arrange things. There's a ring that grants you +1 energy per turn as long as there's no items surrounding it, structure items that let you build a house in your backpack for passive shielding, a sword that gets stronger based on how many fish you carry...
Overall I just think it's an incredibly fun and creative game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the holy poopacy posted:

I feel like Rift Wizard is a bit misleading in that it looks like a crazy combo building game, and there are some crazy combos, but outside of the most broken stuff it's honestly probably easier to just do goodstuffs builds.

i may be exposing some personal dumbassery here but what's "goodstuffs builds" supposed to mean in this context?

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Arzaac posted:

It's an inventory management roguelike; you've got a grid-based inventory you fit all your various items in, and when you level up you also get the chance to expand your inventory. It's not a deckbuilder but it's very Slay the Spire inspired (has the same energy system, block system, enemy intents, etc.). I think one of its greatest strengths is that it really attempts to make the inventory management matter, and a bunch of items function in very unique ways:
  • Ranged weapons fire the first arrow/bolt in their column (for every column they cover), and arrows/bolts get more damage based on how many empty spaces are in front of them.
  • Magic is conductive, so to use any magic item you need to connect your mana gems directly to the item, or otherwise form a chain of conductive elements to get it there.
  • Armor generally gives you passive shielding, but all of the armor pieces give you more if you arrange them how you'd actually wear them: helmets on the top of your inventory, boots on the bottom, etc.
  • Just in general there's a lot of weird and fun items that depend really heavily on how you arrange things. There's a ring that grants you +1 energy per turn as long as there's no items surrounding it, structure items that let you build a house in your backpack for passive shielding, a sword that gets stronger based on how many fish you carry...
Overall I just think it's an incredibly fun and creative game.

I was struggling to describe the game but yeah I think this does it basically. The developer somehow did the impossible and turned inventory management into a really clever and fun exercise. I'd recommend trying the free demo, the gist of the game is easy to learn and runs don't take too long but once the equipment and arrangement gets more complicated and the fights are getting harder it's quite challenging.

https://thejaspel.itch.io/backpack-hero

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ciaphas posted:

i may be exposing some personal dumbassery here but what's "goodstuffs builds" supposed to mean in this context?

I read it as "only use builds that are proven already to work rather than experimenting by mashing random poo poo together".

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Kanos posted:

I read it as "only use builds that are proven already to work rather than experimenting by mashing random poo poo together".

Iirc Good Stuff is a term from MTG, where instead of trying to come up with synergistic combos you just stuff your deck with Cards that are Good.

So in rift wizard terms, I imagine it's just picking individually strong spells with no concern to synergy. I imagine it also means elemental resistances aren't nearly as much of a problem because you're picking spells from every element.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kanos posted:

"Goodstuff" is a card game term for, rather than having any big overarching plan, just a lot of effective/powerful/efficient individual cards or small engines. It doesn't really have a grand strategy, it's just a pile of good stuff. Thus, goodstuff.

E:f;b

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I like the artstyle of Cult but I cannot stand how the animals with big snouts or trunks look terrible. I hate it. Their faces are aligned the same for everyone so it does not work at all.

Yeah it very much depends on the animal with which looks good. Overall the mostly look good and I like how it’s 80s cult horror/satanic panic mixed with cute animal mixed grimms fairy tales. I like how stupidly bleak the world is but also whimsical.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I really like a lot of the little details in the aesthetic. For instance, when you hold a "feast" for your followers (a ritual which only requires the bones of your enemies...), all your cult members have food fly into their mouths as they chew. The Lamb however just air chews, no "food" goes into your mouth.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I went into a deep Rift Wizard fugue state early this year, and I extremely disagree - for one, there's a person on the discord who has done a single spell run (and won) with like 95% of the spells. People were pretty nice there last I looked, lots of good tips and advice for anyone struggling.

Tactics in RW are just as important as making a good build, though honestly (above a certain skill threshold ofc) the single most important factor in how well a run goes is how well you choose what portals to take. Even when you go in planning on using a certain build, you never really end up with the same thing at the end, because there can be such a huge benefit to adapting to either the shrines, circles, enemies or items you find along the way. Circles especially - the flat 1 sp reduction is such a good mechanic, because so many okay to pretty okay spells and upgrades become extremely valuable when 1 or 2 sp instead of 2 or 3, but you absolutely cannot plan on ever seeing a specific one, much less when you need it. Being flexible is just always important, because there's always some situation that can and will gently caress you up if you don't mitigate/avoid it.

Getting the five rift wizard wins in a row achievement is one of the most satisfying achievements I've ever done. Especially since I got to three in a row twice and got overconfident and hosed up on the fourth. Can't recommend the game enough, even if there is a bit of a wall to getting into it. (Specifically the wall of text that is the spell and skill tree)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arzaac posted:

Iirc Good Stuff is a term from MTG, where instead of trying to come up with synergistic combos you just stuff your deck with Cards that are Good.

So in rift wizard terms, I imagine it's just picking individually strong spells with no concern to synergy. I imagine it also means elemental resistances aren't nearly as much of a problem because you're picking spells from every element.

Right. If you're trying to make your entire build run on one spell and maybe a support spell and a desperation backup cantrip, your combo had better be really efficient and really flexible or you're going to get hard walled by some enemies and/or burn through charges unsustainably. But there are a ton of great problem solving spells you can pick up for a couple points (Chain Lightning, Chaos Barrage, Toxin Burst, etc.) that are usable out of the box and fantastic with just 1-2 upgrades or skills, and they will patch over a lot more problems than most engines could expect to fix for the same price. So instead of trying to build a single all-encompassing engine you can make a halfassed engine with a bunch of toolbox spells in your back pocket or even just say gently caress it and take a bunch of toolbox spells with no engine at all.

Truspeaker posted:

I went into a deep Rift Wizard fugue state early this year, and I extremely disagree - for one, there's a person on the discord who has done a single spell run (and won) with like 95% of the spells. People were pretty nice there last I looked, lots of good tips and advice for anyone struggling.

Sure they're doable, but they are challenge runs for a reason. The Wolfer trial has a lower completion rate than the back to back win achievement, and that's considered one of the easier single spell runs.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I can’t imagine playing Rift Wizard and not taking both Blazerip and the rock dude summon. Blazerip is insanely efficient and useful for 1, and the rock dude is incredible early even at full price.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Man Backpack Hero is so good. The current EA version is basically the demo but with more playable characters with their own gimmicks and a ton more items. No metaprogression or structure anything, you just hit "begin run" and you're off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Uh, these new characters are certainly a lot more complicated than the mouse character. The robot character feels like a loving roguelike zachtronics game.