Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Truth be told, I haven't really played a lot of SRPGs. It's the GBA and DS FFT games, Disgaea 1, 4, 5 and XCOM Enemy Within and 2.

Is there a way to level up characters wrong or at least suboptimally in Tactics Ogre like how Paladins and Defenders in FFTA and FFTA2 weren't great because speed was so important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

RareAcumen posted:

Is there a way to level up characters wrong or at least suboptimally in Tactics Ogre like how Paladins and Defenders in FFTA and FFTA2 weren't great because speed was so important?

Probably, but as long as you're not doing something backwards like changing someone with 20 levels of wizard into a berserker you'll be fine. This also doesn't matter at all with the psp version.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RareAcumen posted:

Truth be told, I haven't really played a lot of SRPGs. It's the GBA and DS FFT games, Disgaea 1, 4, 5 and XCOM Enemy Within and 2.

As long as you keep your characters in roughly analogous roles(i.e. physical attackers spend their careers as physical attackers, mages spend their careers as magic related classes) you really can't make a character unsalvageable in TO. Some classes(ninjas and archers) are so strong that they also kind of supersede balance.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Probably, but as long as you're not doing something backwards like changing someone with 20 levels of wizard into a berserker you'll be fine. This also doesn't matter at all with the psp version.

Characters can gain tons of stats in TO PSP if they are in a class when it levels up, so technically if you're being hyper optimal you'll make everyone in your party the same class so they can all benefit from maximum gains from being in every class while the class levels up. In practice that's completely and totally unnecessary.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Good googly moogly, the battles in Digimon Survive are Really God drat Slow.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Last Celebration posted:

There’s a lot of lame half-baked twists in Kingdom Hearts but to be entirely honest “Ansem’s Heartless Stand was Terra all along” is probably one of the best, actually pretty cool ones.

That was a great twist only because my friends and I had taken to calling it Cum Guardian because that's what Ansem said when he had it attack in 1 so coming to that and finding out the cum guardian was Terra was just about the height of the series for me

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Good googly moogly, the battles in Digimon Survive are Really God drat Slow.

my brother was saying that if any game needed a fast-forward function, that was it

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Neeksy posted:

my brother was saying that if any game needed a fast-forward function, that was it

Soooo much. Digimon take forfuckingever to walk their asses across the field.

I keep playing, though. Because I am a slut for Digimon games.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Every person I've talked to who has played Survive falls into the camp of either wishing the devs had leaned entirely into the VN part or wishing the devs had leaned much more into the SRPG part.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RareAcumen posted:

Leveling someone all game as a wizard or exorcist and Turing them into something like a gunner, I guess?

In the PSX version if you keep non-generics in roles similar to what they join as they’ll be plenty powerful. Or keep them as the job they join as because in some cases they’re just broken as gently caress. IE: Haborym and his absolutely insane accuracy with status effects.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Soooo much. Digimon take forfuckingever to walk their asses across the field.

I keep playing, though. Because I am a slut for Digimon games.

You can hold “A” to speed up the walk animations at least (and digivolutions?)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Erg posted:

You can hold “A” to speed up the walk animations at least (and digivolutions?)

Oh thank god. Did I miss a tutorial or a prompt somewhere, or does the game just not tell you this? Because I had no idea, for real.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Oh thank god. Did I miss a tutorial or a prompt somewhere, or does the game just not tell you this? Because I had no idea, for real.

If there was one I missed it too. I was randomly pressing buttons because I was bored during the slow rear end animations and figured there HAD to be a speed up somehow

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Trip report: It speeds up everything. Walking, attacks, evolution. Immediately a ton better.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So how is Survive overall? I know the SRPG aspect is pretty whatever from everything I've heard but I actually don't care too much about that. How is the VN side? Does it have routes? Or is it mostly linear? etc

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So how is Survive overall? I know the SRPG aspect is pretty whatever from everything I've heard but I actually don't care too much about that. How is the VN side? Does it have routes? Or is it mostly linear? etc

It has a couple different possible endings. Four, I think? The VN is alright. Typical Digimon fare for a lot of it, but a bit more...older teen oriented, I'd say.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ibram Gaunt posted:

3 routes, one you can only get on NG+, it's Digimon but also SMT: Devil Survivor.

It's pretty good overall.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Anyone else playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 come up with any strategy to fight higher level Ropls? I'm level 62 right now and a single normal level 60 Ropl can decimate my entire partly in seconds. So far this is the only enemy I've see that does this.

I think it's just because my AI party is bunching up and getting hit with splash damage but I have yet to find a way around it. Feels bad to have to just go grind five levels to fight this one enemy. Extra bad because the quest claims they are doable at level 58!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Go into Ouroboros as Noah and do Bounding End-Dragon Tail-Bounding End-Dragon Tail-Bounding End-etc.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have like 12 levels on those big blue birds a bit outside the prison entrance and they still absolutely destroy me

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Terper posted:

Go into Ouroboros as Noah and do Bounding End-Dragon Tail-Bounding End-Dragon Tail-Bounding End-etc.

I hadn't unlocked Bounding End yet but yeah this absolutely worked! Good to know the strat now, thanks!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Objective Action posted:

I hadn't unlocked Bounding End yet but yeah this absolutely worked! Good to know the strat now, thanks!
If you get the timing right, before doing the finishing Mega Spinning Edge you can use the Art that gives the entire party Power Charge. BIG DAMAGE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
trying to get back into xenoblade 2 and I think that this might be the most maximalist jrpg series in the last couple generations. every one of these games is SO MUCH GAME

the first non-tutorial city has me wondering if I have enough breadcrumbs to get home

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Survive is fun so far but the tone is all over the place and not necessarily in a good way

I feel like 'young child is stalked by a pedophile who claims they were dating and people believe the pedophile' and 'lol my monster shoots poop' are two different genres.

Also there is a speed up option in the game's setting menu

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Objective Action posted:

Anyone else playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 come up with any strategy to fight higher level Ropls? I'm level 62 right now and a single normal level 60 Ropl can decimate my entire partly in seconds. So far this is the only enemy I've see that does this.

I think it's just because my AI party is bunching up and getting hit with splash damage but I have yet to find a way around it. Feels bad to have to just go grind five levels to fight this one enemy. Extra bad because the quest claims they are doable at level 58!

I never really had issues with Ropls outside the very first encounters with them. I found the game really favors running with three healers of some type, though. The ground effect buffs are absurdly good (since many classes do bunch up) and if you use skills to equip more you can fusion skill two at a time onto the ground. I can routinely fight 2-3 of equivalent level even blue elites that way (Ropls or otherwise). There are some classes that do the hybrid heal role if you want to try that- (Chapter 5 class spoilers) Soulhacker being one of them. Just flip it to healer mode and equip some skills to match.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Finished up Vaporum: Lockdown last night, pretty good, harder puzzles than the first but gently caress was I OP by the end.

Built a tank character with Blade 5, Dual Wield 5, Armor 5 and a couple other skills, I was a whirling dervish whenever I activated my skill that increased my swing speed. I had over 3000 hp by the end, the armor that gave 1% of max hp as bonus damage on swing, Giantslayer which does 2% of the enemies max hp as bonus damage and Ripper which is very strong once powered up and I was a firehose of damage. Pretty fun being able to facetank massive enemies.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Levantine posted:

I never really had issues with Ropls outside the very first encounters with them.
you are a wizard if you got past that loving Battlefield Hulk fight that's a guaranteed blue-elite Ropl that links with two normal Ropls that all come outta the ground at once so you can't separate them without any toruble, I'm envious

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

you are a wizard if you got past that loving Battlefield Hulk fight that's a guaranteed blue-elite Ropl that links with two normal Ropls that all come outta the ground at once so you can't separate them without any toruble, I'm envious

That fight was one of the harder ones but I took it on at 57 and knocked it out. Don't sleep on buff/heal fields. I also waste an accessory slot with that item that lets non-healers rez so I have 4 people who can do that at any given time. I tend to open with a Lv 0 transformation and just spam cancel healing attacks until I can use the Master Skill and usually wipe one out. I switch characters if need be to really abuse the transformations. Orobourous is really strong because they're completely immune to damage. I also lean very heavily on chain attacks - I have accessories that increase the bar for every art and critical hit. You can punch way above your weight class if you are good at getting 3+1 with those.

That's just my strategy. I've avoided online info about the game because I don't want spoilers so there may be better ways to do what I'm doing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Does anyone remember the Ni no Kuni mobile game that was relentlessly advertised a few months ago? Well apparently this is how it's doing

https://twitter.com/HD_Kirin/status/1537635279686672384

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

Does anyone remember the Ni no Kuni mobile game that was relentlessly advertised a few months ago? Well apparently this is how it's doing

.. Is that 7.99 each time?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Never change, Netmarble

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mycot posted:

Been playing Ni no Kuni Mobile since its release, because I am a god drat fool, so I can comment a bit on this; What Netmarble ended up doing was opening new servers, I am unsure if the bots all went over to those new servers, but I am playing on one of the launch day servers and have had no problems for awhile now. I've also never seen the login queue bypass actually available in the cash shop, I don't think it ever actually became available.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

ImpAtom posted:

.. Is that 7.99 each time?

Search your heart friend.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Alternate aoe attacks using Noah’s ouroboros form.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i am having a decent time with Monster Hunter Stories 2 but it's definitely as repetitive as the main series, just with a candy-coated saturday morning anime shell around it. at least the main quests are pretty short in general: just go to an area, run through the 'proc-gen looking but somehow hand-crafted' dungeon, fight a boss monster, head back to town, on to the next quest. i mean i guess i shouldn't have expected them to vary it up much, lol

after this game I have a bunch of new games to play but then after that... idk. maybe trails in the sky third to get ready for trails from zero??

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This just wrecked me yesterday. I mean, it was at the end of like nine hours of play -- I got very involved in what was going on -- but still, yeowch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I tried that like three times (and learned quickly not to leave them for last because if you die the quest progress resets!!!) before just saying gently caress IT and ouroborosing it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing the game should absolutely have done:

Let your Oroborus grow to giant size and give your seventh a giant robot to fight alongside you.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The 7th Guest posted:

i am having a decent time with Monster Hunter Stories 2 but it's definitely as repetitive as the main series, just with a candy-coated saturday morning anime shell around it. at least the main quests are pretty short in general: just go to an area, run through the 'proc-gen looking but somehow hand-crafted' dungeon, fight a boss monster, head back to town, on to the next quest. i mean i guess i shouldn't have expected them to vary it up much, lol

I played a couple hours of the first game on 3DS and came to a similar realization. I love the look and the presentation, such a good adaptation of the main series. Gameplay wise it is very much a kid's game tho, although I didn't get far enough for them explain the genes and such. I just knew if I wanted to raise and fight with "monsters" there were just more sophisticated/rewarding games on that handheld.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I tried that like three times (and learned quickly not to leave them for last because if you die the quest progress resets!!!) before just saying gently caress IT and ouroborosing it

One thing I learned from this fight when a bunch of birds joined in is you can run away and it wont reset, but if you die it does. ABC: Always Be Oroborousing. Burst combos also give you the ability to remove an enemy's Rage status and the only way to do that before chapter 6 (I think) is to use transformation abilities. If you need to buy time just fire up a chain attack too - heals and buffs when you're struggling go a long way.

I die plenty (usually biting off more than I can chew) but aside from named monsters, punching above your level is pretty easy if you use your tools. High level named monsters don't really care about your tools and seem to be marathons so trying to take some of them underleveled is just a bad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I definitely bursted in like..C4 or something

Also one time I started a Chain Attack, it did the startup animation then immediately CHAIN ATTACK ENDED and everyone but Lanz died because it was one of the mega dinos and it did a ground pound that obliterated everyone else right as I pressed it and it still processed. It did leave the CA gauge full though!