Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Aesaar posted:

Dorn made the Imperial Fists and Crimson Fists Codex-compliant, then got sick of doing that and told Sigismund to deal with the other 20. Sigismund just said "sure thing" and ran off to kill poo poo before anyone noticed where the rest of the legion had gone.

I'm reading Solar War and Sigismund flashes back to Dorn being super pissed at him and yelling that he's not Sig's real dad anyway.

Then Solar War carefully avoids giving you any reason for this conflict. Is this what that's about or is there a surprise reveal later in the book that I haven't gotten to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Siggy last survivor of II Legion confirmed!!1! :tinfoil:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

moths posted:

I'm reading Solar War and Sigismund flashes back to Dorn being super pissed at him and yelling that he's not Sig's real dad anyway.

Then Solar War carefully avoids giving you any reason for this conflict. Is this what that's about or is there a surprise reveal later in the book that I haven't gotten to?

In one of the earlier books (I don’t recall which, off the top of my head) Sigismund is told that if he obeys Dorn and leaves Terra to lead the Retribution fleet, he will die forgotten, far from the light of Terra. So he listens to this prophesy, tells Dorn no, eventually reveals that he did so because of a prophesy, and Dorn loses his poo poo and disowns him.

In Solar War, it starts to look like maybe Sigismund was right to stay, so he starts thinking back to that moment. All of this is eventually addressed directly in later books.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh! Ok cool, thanks very much for clearing that up.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

A fate worse than death. Kyme is so consistently awful. Anything he touches is absolute garbage, it's a impressive talent to get paid to make it instead of the far easier getting bribed to stop ruining things.

It's surprising cos he's supposed to be the lord high editor of the entire HH. He can't write for poo poo but he can clearly do a bang up job editing better authors.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

ijyt posted:

hmm yes more in-fighting after a devastating civil war, very smart and big brained

Empires famously become even more violent shitholes after devastating civil wars.

Gorrilaman is like Charlemagne trying to pick up the pieces of the Roman Empire

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A LOT of the "chapters" quietly ignore the size limitations of the Codex. Ironically, the literal biggest offender are the Ultramarines, because so many of their successor chapters adhere so strongly to the rigid Orthodox of the Codex that ... They slot immediately and seamlessly into any Ultramar war plans. Does it really matter if your legion is divided into Chapters if all the chapters still work together?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Meanwhile the Iron Hands will go to war with their own clan companies if they disagree hard enough

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Meanwhile the Iron Hands will go to war with their own clan companies if they disagree hard enough

Post-Istvaan Iron Hands might be (mostly) Loyal, but most of them are also one step away from being Chaos Space Marines.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Jack B Nimble posted:

A LOT of the "chapters" quietly ignore the size limitations of the Codex. Ironically, the literal biggest offender are the Ultramarines, because so many of their successor chapters adhere so strongly to the rigid Orthodox of the Codex that ... They slot immediately and seamlessly into any Ultramar war plans. Does it really matter if your legion is divided into Chapters if all the chapters still work together?

I think you are thinking of the Imperial Fists and their "Last Wall" Protocol, which is explicitly reforming their Legion in times of great enough crisis.

Ultramarines have a number of like-minded successor chapters, sure, but it's mostly by dint of numbers. They have quite a few that they no longer get on much with, either due to temperament or circumstsnce, ie. Mortifactors, Spears of the Emperor.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Broken Record Talk posted:

Post-Istvaan Iron Hands might be (mostly) Loyal, but most of them are also one step away from being Chaos Space Marines.

Hereteks aren't always traitors :ssh:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Ultras do kinda have that thing where the Genesis Chapter is basically a defacto reserve formation.

But I'm not sure they have the secret "call all of the successors to operate at legion strength" protocol like the Dark Angels, Blood Angels, and Imperial Fists.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
They did at one point, Talos in the Night Lords trilogy mentions that when the Imperium came for the Night Lords during the Scouring it was with "the Ultramarines Legion in all but name". The Ultras and all their successors in all their different heraldry dropped on them all at once after Curze was assassinated and kicked them off Tsagualsa some time in M32.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Pretty sure Crusade also refers to the Ultramarines Legion being the one to kick them out during the Scouring, rather than “a bunch of Ultramarine Chapters.” So they’re definitely breaking their own rules!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Goonhammer has the Liber Mechanicum review up

https://www.goonhammer.com/liber-mechanicum-the-goonhammer-review/

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I don't think its a trait you will ever take but I kinda love that you can get a tiny points discount to go "GET IN THE ROBOT, SHINJI"

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

No Drill in the book? What the hell

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Demilich posted:

No Drill in the book? What the hell

probably the most hosed up thing, yeah

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Maybe that's the error that prompted them to pull it?

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Looks like it's only been delayed in north america, so probably not

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Ancient Rylanor is now ready to kill a lot of traitors.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Badass, good eye glow

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

quote:

Camera is damaged, please forgive hosed-up focus.

Did four more melta marines to go along with the sergeant I did previously, so I finally have one complete squad for my IW.

Also did (and repeatedly hosed up) a vexilla marine for the first tactical squad. I don't like pretty much anything about this guy but I'm not stripping anything this early on. He's painted, he can go in the list. Struggled to get any thinned purple to work for blending so ended up with much less of a blend than I was aiming for (ie, none, because this was the only way to not just have spotty blotches of purple all over).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Test scheme for Word Bearers:

I think it needs maybe a little hint of orange to brighten it up, and the black will definitely need some kind of highlight.

Also my camera situation is still dogshit.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Rules Q: when determining who can fight in close combat, the rules say any model in base contact with an enemy, or within unit coherency of a friendly model in base contact with an enemy (pg 184). Does this mean:

A: The whole unit can fight as long as there's one model in base contact with the enemy and the whole unit is coherent, or

B: Only models in base contact and models within 2" of them can fight (two ranks basically)

The diagram on the next page very elegantly avoids answering this.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Ristolaz posted:

Rules Q: when determining who can fight in close combat, the rules say any model in base contact with an enemy, or within unit coherency of a friendly model in base contact with an enemy (pg 184). Does this mean:

A: The whole unit can fight as long as there's one model in base contact with the enemy and the whole unit is coherent, or

B: Only models in base contact and models within 2" of them can fight (two ranks basically)

The diagram on the next page very elegantly avoids answering this.

You figure out who can fight at each initiative step, after all models at that initiative make their 3" pile in move, which will typically bring models out of coherency with others (this does not really matter in the Assault phase).

Once they have done this, you check and see which models, with that initiative value, are either in base-to-base contact with an enemy model, or within coherency (not always 2" - there are rules that alter this) with models in base-to-base contact with the enemy. Models that meet this condition, and have the proper initiative value, can now fight.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

moths posted:

Test scheme for Word Bearers:

I think it needs maybe a little hint of orange to brighten it up, and the black will definitely need some kind of highlight.

Also my camera situation is still dogshit.

I really like this.

I'm seriously considering building WBs myself; they've got such a great backstory and they can look really good.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Broken Record Talk posted:

You figure out who can fight at each initiative step, after all models at that initiative make their 3" pile in move, which will typically bring models out of coherency with others (this does not really matter in the Assault phase).

Once they have done this, you check and see which models, with that initiative value, are either in base-to-base contact with an enemy model, or within coherency (not always 2" - there are rules that alter this) with models in base-to-base contact with the enemy. Models that meet this condition, and have the proper initiative value, can now fight.

Cool, my opponents have been playing the other way, but I'm definitely gonna argue harder for this way. I like that it does give a nice bonus to units with skirmish

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Still curious if my drills need to be proxies for something else now lol

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cessna posted:

I really like this.

I'm seriously considering building WBs myself; they've got such a great backstory and they can look really good.

Thanks!

Yeah between the fluff, lore-friendly rules, and future expansion into cultist and daemon nonsense, I couldn't see myself not doing them.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
The Word Bearer rules are great. While there are some glaring missteps (like Warpfire Cannons going down a blast size on Dreads and Bitter Duty/Grim Purpose being two different rules), their unique stuff has lots of fun little combinations and are priced such that one has to actually pick a couple of tricks and focus on them instead of being able to just slam everything in a list without thinking.

Pour one out for our guy Hol Beloth, though, didn't even make it into the also-ran .pdf.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's a bummer, but he could always reappear in one of the micro campaign PDFs.

HH1 didn't have a cultist list, did they? I remember all those fantastic LatD sculpts except that they were from Siege of Vraks.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

moths posted:

That's a bummer, but he could always reappear in one of the micro campaign PDFs.

HH1 didn't have a cultist list, did they? I remember all those fantastic LatD sculpts except that they were from Siege of Vraks.

Imperial Militia and Cults.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Demilich posted:

Still curious if my drills need to be proxies for something else now lol

That would be so loving weird

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
its so extremely weird that its missing, going into the .pdf would be even stranger

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

moths posted:

Militia allowed you to built a list of insane cultists, twisted mutants, or combine the two if you really hated the idea of shooting and hitting.

Of course, you could always take any of the other flavors and just slap "traitor" on top to represent the guys who still had their poo poo together enough to maybe not get sent to Calth.

Traitors also had a special RoW or ForceOrg chart called "sacrificial offering" which started your cultist/mutant/traitors on the table with stubborn and outflanked your Marines just like Raven Guard always do in the fluff, liberators my asd

moths
Aug 25, 2004

All of that sounds awesome.

I kinda wish we got a Horus Heresy Index for everything, but the releases seem too rapid to justify one.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
i think you'll find it's glacial

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Nobody else posted it, so: new plastic Land Raider confirmed. Looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
It's nice. Do wish it had iib sponsons as an option. The ones that look like a bunker.

I guess that's technically an "armored" proteus?

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 19, 2022