Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ShaneB posted:

Because Maro's definitions are whack. It's like a legitimately playable card.

Oh it's Lilli?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are you saying they're the exception or have to follow the rule because they've shown art from the decks and guns are very prominent.

I am saying universes beyond clearly is an exception.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

"that rhino has a gun".

I yelled this out loud when I was cracking packs and seeing all the art for the first time

It's still in the top 5 card arts from SNC imo

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Y'all gonna feel super foolish when Oko, Thief of Crowns gets reprinted and turns all the invading Phyrexian armies into harmless deer saving the day.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

"New evergreen counter"--I think every evergreen keyword already has a counter, so I'm guessing this is either a new evergreen keyword that's also getting a counter, or a new counter that does something else? A counter that makes a permanent legendary, for instance (see: “As long as enchanted creature is legendary”)?

Isn't "ward x" evergreen now, to take the place of hexproof (taking the place of shroud/protection)?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/education-ulf-2022-08-15

Calling it, Ulf is mtg's Rincewind. Future professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

fadam posted:

Hmm, anything obvious jump out to you guys? My buddy says the character that’s getting a card is someone named Gix.

Done and done.

Gix would make a lot more sense in Brother's War, the story where Gix originated. He lead the Phyrexian charge on Dominaria when Mishra let him through. If they're incorporating any of The Thran into Brothers War they could even do a pre-phyrexian version of him. But obviously who knows, maybe that's part of the time travel shenanigans.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Isn't "ward x" evergreen now, to take the place of hexproof (taking the place of shroud/protection)?

Hmm that makes a lot of sense. Could see ward tokens being a thing, yeah

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

fadam posted:

Unforgivable lol. It was a bad limited set, they didn’t run you over with a car.

get their rear end

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Judgy Fucker posted:

Seems like it might be weird just because ward costs are always different. Like would it be a “Ward 3” counter or something?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh it's Lilli?

Last Hope reprint would be nice, or maybe Untouched By Death. There's no way it'll be LoTV because of lore implications.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Landwalk counters

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

fadam posted:

Seems like it might be weird just because ward costs are always different. Like would it be a “Ward 3” counter or something?

Ward value equal to the number of ward counters on it, maybe? That's starting to get into pretty clunky territory but also seems intuitive enough.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah, but ward discard a card. Or pay 3 life.
Does protection have counters? I feel like it would be the same

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

HootTheOwl posted:

maybe shield is becoming evergreen? or whatever it was called, the not-regen regen one

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ilmucche posted:

maybe shield is becoming evergreen? or whatever it was called, the not-regen regen one

Shield counters.

The attributes of the counter are inherent to the counter itself, like the +1/+1 of a +1/+1 counter, as several wordy-rear end mythic rares like Titan of Industry do not specify an effect tied to the counter.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Rampage returns in counter form :getin:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

They can make ward counters for the most common forms of ward that make intuitive sense without making ward counters for every type of ward, IF it is ward.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

whydirt posted:

Rampage returns in counter form :getin:

Bushido and/or flanking counters

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Silhouette posted:

Last Hope reprint would be nice, or maybe Untouched By Death. There's no way it'll be LoTV because of lore implications.

Somehow, the Demons returned. boom, nailed it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Defender counters aren't a thing yet. I could see a spell or creature that turns creatures I to stone handing them out.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Cumulative Upkeep Counter

It's a counter that makes you put age counters on it, I don't see what's so confusing

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

If they would do a Karn reprint, my guess would be Karn, Scion of Urza.

Liliana, The Last Hope seems like it would be safe to reprint.

Reprinting Teferi, Hero of Dominaria would satisfy all the criteria we've read (and he is in the set art). Might be miserable to face repeatedly in Arena queues but seems much more palatable than Time Raveler.

This option is not a "playable card" in my opinion, but maybe ShaneB is a WotC psy-op, and they've already namechecked him in the story, so: Teferi snaps his fingers, skibidi woo, Venser's back somehow.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
wait hold on they're totally going to ape avengers infinity war / endgame and have sheoldred destroy the golgothian sylex, so karn goes back in time to grab it from the brothers' war

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You know, Ulf is the anti-Ertai. Ertai was an arrogant prodigy who didn’t study well.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Liliana side story: Okay so that was fun, I think. Especially with the Lim-Dül retcon and whatnot. But are you telling me that the writer had no inkling to be like hmmm wouldn't this character who's part of a whole team of planeswalkers even think to notify that whole freaking group since she essentially confirmed what they were searching for across a bunch of sets of this story??? It also bugs me Teferi and Ajani, didn't notify Gatewatch in any way shape or form. Why have a super powered group if you're not going to use them???

poo poo call Sorin, call Nahiri, although it wouldn't surprise me if she got turned into Not-Borg offscreen after her sojurn back through Zendikar. I do sort of wonder if Elspeth is going to play a bigger part in this eventually with her new Angel Drug sword after all the hub bub about where she's originally from etc etc etc.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I would guess the evergreen counters are “creature type counters” because it would be an easy way to show things becoming Phyrexian, and there’s a lot more that could be done with that mechanic generally.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jiro posted:

Liliana side story: Okay so that was fun, I think. Especially with the Lim-Dül retcon and whatnot. But are you telling me that the writer had no inkling to be like hmmm wouldn't this character who's part of a whole team of planeswalkers even think to notify that whole freaking group since she essentially confirmed what they were searching for across a bunch of sets of this story??? It also bugs me Teferi and Ajani, didn't notify Gatewatch in any way shape or form. Why have a super powered group if you're not going to use them???

poo poo call Sorin, call Nahiri, although it wouldn't surprise me if she got turned into Not-Borg offscreen after her sojurn back through Zendikar. I do sort of wonder if Elspeth is going to play a bigger part in this eventually with her new Angel Drug sword after all the hub bub about where she's originally from etc etc etc.

People in the main story also refusing to ask for help keeps happening and it keeps being to their detriment. All the while they're trying to do the titular Uniting of Dominaria.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I thought the Gatewatch officially disbanded like….six sets ago? Wasn’t that the story beat around that G/B Nissa printed a little while back?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

vegetables posted:

I would guess the evergreen counters are “creature type counters” because it would be an easy way to show things becoming Phyrexian, and there’s a lot more that could be done with that mechanic generally.

this is great

works with things getting zombified, frogged, horrored, slimed etc

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I thought the Gatewatch officially disbanded like….six sets ago? Wasn’t that the story beat around that G/B Nissa printed a little while back?

Nissa was g/b bc she turned emo when chandra broke up with her

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

Understandable

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

My favorite was the trapped in the tower story, where they knew they wanted a Thing-style danger mystery so they have everyone act as if they've never had a thought before in their lives and they aren't about to start now, for the sake of throwing the tropes in.

One of these five characters may be a spy! Who is it? Is it Karn, beloved character from fan-favorite plot? Is it Jaya, the only one who has any actual way to hurt the enemies? Is it Teferi, with much unresolved plot? Is it Jodah, who fulfills the Marvel sass quota? Or is it Stan, the character we just introduced? It could be anyone!

Or the completely inadvisable decision to split the party repeatedly despite the enemy demonstrating the ability to split into multiples, and also the previously mentioned only one of them has any real ability to hurt it. But, they needed to do so several times so Karn could get everyone alone so he could do the fake intel espionage thing.

Also the zombie movie thing of Jaya getting a flesh wound and oh no! Now she could be infected! (It doesn't come up again and doesn't matter; also Teferi gets hurt even harder and no one is concerned about him getting infected.)

And then none of it matters anyway because the whole point of keeping the tower sealed was to prevent the phyrexian from getting out and infecting people, but half the city is infected already anyway.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

In the magic lore do people know about the five colours of magic?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

They both knew they only ever cared for each other platonically anyway

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nighthand posted:

My favorite was the trapped in the tower story, where they knew they wanted a Thing-style danger mystery so they have everyone act as if they've never had a thought before in their lives and they aren't about to start now, for the sake of throwing the tropes in.

I might be misunderstanding but one of the hallmarks of The Thing is that the characters do think and use thier tools to try figure out who is infected and such

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

fadam posted:

Yes, or at least they do on some Planes and I would think most Plansewalkers would know. If you are some random wizard living on a mountain who has never left you might not know there is no red magic though.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I might be misunderstanding but one of the hallmarks of The Thing is that the characters do think and use thier tools to try figure out who is infected and such

You're right, I just meant the framing of "there's a monster that could be any one of us", not that the Thing had people acting stupid. The stupid comes from the writers hammering the intelligence out of every character to fit their framing so they could write that "mystery".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

neaden posted:

Yes, or at least they do on some Planes and I would think most Plansewalkers would know. If you are some random wizard living on a mountain who has never left you might not know there is no red magic though.

But...mountains are the red magic land...myth busted

Nighthand posted:

You're right, I just meant the framing of "there's a monster that could be any one of us", not that the Thing had people acting stupid. The stupid comes from the writers hammering the intelligence out of every character to fit their framing so they could write that "mystery".

Gotcha

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

I think the Thran invented mana batteries and therefore knew. Urza, I assume knew and channeled white mana to kill Yawgmoth during the Invasion.
Mirrens probably knew because of their suns.
Otherwise I think it varies from plane to plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

vegetables posted:

Sliver counters.