Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Mirello posted:

well, to use a better example, I myself am Jewish. An extremely common topic for jokes (even today, although probably more common in the past). If I got upset every time I heard a jewish joke, rather than trying to see the humor, I would be much worse off.

Not to go too much into it, but I think it stems from a lib idea of entertainment as real life or education, rather than entertainment. if they could just purge it of all evil influences, than maybe man would be less evil. I think this is pretty laughable myself, but not in an entertaining way.

Now to use another example, once, a long time ago I was at a yard sale with some friends, and I heard the seller saying to another customer "don't worry, I won't jew you on this deal". I left because I didn't want to support an actual anti Semite. That was something that offended me.

The modern day inability to differentiate entertainment and real life, and jokes or real opinions is really sad.

different words have different meanings or emotions in different contexts. its like how sometimes brits will come to america and be shocked at people using the word "spaz" casually when in britain it's considered a very bad word. Or I guess americans going to australia and hearing "oval office".

Xaris posted:

I think Mirello's point is that it must be tiring getting offended by offensive-by-today's-standard media of the past. and there is certainly a big host of twitter libs who trawl and do that and they can be indeed very tiring. like netflix removed the Community episode that featured Drow Elf Face even though it was very specifically mocking Drow Elf Face as a concept because context is a step too far for most people to figure out.

not that you're doing that but there are people who do.

like yeah it's not that long ago but when community started, gay marriage was still highly illegal in america (and will be illegal again soon lol!) and cultural norms and cultural empathy changes over time (one would hope for the better but uhhh... *checks notes on abortion*).. like "haha chick with a dick! surprise!" was a lovely tv/movie joke trope for many many decades and only recently that it's like 'hmm that's really hosed up'.

threading the needle between what's bad by todays standards, should have been bad then, and the implications is tricky because cultural empathy does change. but also like yes most people in 1950s were raging racists too so it doesn't mean like Song of the South is fine because everyone was racist then, but also i think you can watch it understanding the background that everyone was a raging racist and it's good that the raging racism is less overt these days without saying no one should ever watch it ever (and again, not that you're saying that, but there are people who do).

It must be really tiring to be like this. Imagine sitting there being offended at someone else being offended instead of just laughing or moving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Mirello posted:

well, to use a better example, I myself am Jewish. An extremely common topic for jokes (even today, although probably more common in the past). If I got upset every time I heard a jewish joke, rather than trying to see the humor, I would be much worse off.

Not to go too much into it, but I think it stems from a lib idea of entertainment as real life or education, rather than entertainment. if they could just purge it of all evil influences, than maybe man would be less evil. I think this is pretty laughable myself, but not in an entertaining way.

Now to use another example, once, a long time ago I was at a yard sale with some friends, and I heard the seller saying to another customer "don't worry, I won't jew you on this deal". I left because I didn't want to support an actual anti Semite. That was something that offended me.

The modern day inability to differentiate entertainment and real life, and jokes or real opinions is really sad.

different words have different meanings or emotions in different contexts. its like how sometimes brits will come to america and be shocked at people using the word "spaz" casually when in britain it's considered a very bad word. Or I guess americans going to australia and hearing "oval office".

That makes a lot of sense. I'm not really on the same page as you, and I'm sorry if I came at you over this, but I do sort of understand where you're coming from. Trans stuff is really near and dear to me, so I misconstrued your post as being defensive of the specific use of the slur and not a statement on how you feel about things overall.

I apologize for misunderstanding what you were trying to say! It's hard to pull back from stuff like this for me, but I still shouldn't have assumed you were being malicious or put words in your mouth.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its normal to feel bad when an otherwise funny or enjoyable thing goes out of its way to disparage you. it feels like suddenly this object you were enjoying has made a subjective stance against you. you suddenly are made aware it is not and was never "on your side".

its the original meaning of gaze/objectification. The object 'gazes' at you from a male/hetero/white/christian lens and makes you feel like you've lost your own subjectivity. Objectifies you as a thing without the ability to define itself. You can't defend yourself to a TV episode from 2011.

its bad and finding it tiring is extremely normal

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

NeatHeteroDude posted:

When I watch TV, I don't like to think "this kind of poo poo is would make them feel bad for existing because their identity is a cheap joke to people who write television. Other people love, laugh at, and defend them because they see every critique of the media they consume as a personal attack on their honor."

Mirello posted:

(Excuse this super rough argument) I think Education in culture comes first, and what then follows is entertainment. It's just that everybody is so well education in the culture that seeing it under the entertainment is hard. *Dutch angle* And It's harder now because we've been on this cultural kick of trying to find universal reactions. A movie shows a person getting kick between the legs and there is a wince from the audience. It's more biological wired than a baptism routine where the differences range from sprinkling water on a baby to fully dunking an adult in a river. (In the eyes of the practitioners doing different actives could get you killed or worse your soul damned to hell.)

And it goes much deeper than defending their media. They are defending their culture, probably because they themselves are on the boarder of acceptable culture and one weird twist could shove them out. Also they are defending their reality. It's a more symbolic form a reality. Nobody sees themselves as a superhero with powers, but that underlying story of some nobody farm kids becoming the most powerful person in the world is a common story structure especially in Post World War II America.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't know that there was any real backlash to the Community episode. Seems more like the media was scrambling to performatively respond to blm without actually doing anything

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They definitely didn't scale back the copaganda though lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

On the other hand, Scarry explaining how money flows due to purchasing goods and services in that very chapter is pretty pro-capitalist.

I don't think this is the point of that segment. Like, it's not about high finance or whatever. The farmer grows crops and sells them to the grocer, who sells them to the pig family and buys new clothes for his kids, etc etc etc. That sounds to me like an example of the message I was talking about, that society works because all the workers are interdependent. Money is just the medium by which they interact because we still live in a capitalist society.

Now, you could call it overly naive and outdated to the point of being misleading in that all of these workers are independent and own their means of production rather than being helpless worker drones for unassailable faceless corporations, but the solidarity message seems important enough to me that I'm okay with that.

quote:

And the dude loves coal power.

The book in question was written in 1968

I do wish there were a modern version with solar or nuclear power and men and women working side by side, which also didn't have, like, rotary phones everywhere (or that one really uncomfortable racial stereotype)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I don't know that there was any real backlash to the Community episode. Seems more like the media was scrambling to performatively respond to blm without actually doing anything

it's funny because I don't think anyone has ever actually articulated why the Community episode got pulled, it just got pulled and they never acknowledged it beyond a note that not all episodes of Season 2 are available.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mirello posted:

I mean, as a Jew myself a lot of the 'Jewish jokes' I see in media suck poo poo so I'd very unironically love to know your favorite. The only one that really comes to mind as a genuinely well constructed 'Jew joke' is ages ago when South Park was doing some episode about a disaster hitting Cartman keeps trying to get Kyle to give him his 'Jew gold' in exchange for help, Kyle keeps getting offended and telling him to gently caress off and it's set up well as a pretty obvious 'Cartman's an antisemite' joke, until the last time when Kyle genuinely needs help, Cartman pulls that, and he just angrily takes a pouch from around his neck and throws it at him. Like, that was a solid joke based on the established characters and having Kyle actually validate a crazy anti-Jewish assumption for once as a subversion on the usual dynamic.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, as a Jew myself a lot of the 'Jewish jokes' I see in media suck poo poo so I'd very unironically love to know your favorite. The only one that really comes to mind as a genuinely well constructed 'Jew joke' is ages ago when South Park was doing some episode about a disaster hitting Cartman keeps trying to get Kyle to give him his 'Jew gold' in exchange for help, Kyle keeps getting offended and telling him to gently caress off and it's set up well as a pretty obvious 'Cartman's an antisemite' joke, until the last time when Kyle genuinely needs help, Cartman pulls that, and he just angrily takes a pouch from around his neck and throws it at him. Like, that was a solid joke based on the established characters and having Kyle actually validate a crazy anti-Jewish assumption for once as a subversion on the usual dynamic.

I got this one from cum town:

what's the jewish pedophile say?

"Hey kid, you wanna buy some candy?"

for something not from a podcast about having sex with your dad, all of arrested developments jewish jokes were very funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EAX437L3sA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGfn22oqs74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5dQnJldgzA

Mirello has issued a correction as of 14:25 on Aug 15, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think the Discworld book I'm reading (Feet of Clay) has the 1996-culture equivalent of a trans coming-out narrative

like, Discworld dwarves (at least in this book, he's retconning stuff all the time which makes sense for such a long-standing series) have two sexes and one gender. There are male and female dwarves and they all have beards and wear armor and swing axes and love mining etc etc etc. Dwarves don't actually reveal to each other what sex they are unless they are literally about to start loving. This book has a female dwarven character (Cheery) who has something like gender dysmorphia from this and is, with the support of the only other female main character, slowly adopting more feminine characteristics like wearing jewelry and makeup and short skirts and picking a more feminine name for herself (Cheri). This isn't presented like a joke or punchline, and the other characters reacting to it with confusion and unease are presented as old-fashioned and closed-minded. It is, in other words, a trans narrative in every sense except that the character in question isn't actually trans, which is why it's the 1996-culture equivalent.

I find this interesting because I wasn't expecting it out of Terry Pratchett, who appears to have, accidentally or otherwise, exposed the biggest ideological discrepancy between second- and third-wave feminism, and come out on the side of the third wave, as a straight cis British dude in his late forties in 1996. Like, the dwarven model where gender is irrelevant to the point of nonexistence kind of reads to me like the second-wave ideal, but it has had the ironic consequence of stigmatizing femininity. One of the main characters (Carrot) has an argument with his girlfriend (Angua) about this which he loses because the end result of his viewpoint is that he thinks femininity is wrong somehow and should be kept to oneself.

Anyway I haven't finished reading this book, and it's very possible that he fumbles the ending of it by making it into a big joke where Cheri decides she's happier the way she was or whatever, but I'm pleasantly surprised so far. This book's main narrative is exploring the idea of golems, constructs created to work, and whether they have personhood and rights, and between that and this side narrative I think it's a pretty shining example of the use of fantasy tropes to explore complicated real-world societal questions.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lol the last scene of the most recent The Rehearsal

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yeah I remember when Netflix killed the D&D episode a lot of people were asking if anyone asked for this. There was never even a astroturfed demand for it to be nuked, it was just arbitrarily decided that it should be removed.

Which is horseshit, it's one of the best episodes of that show and deals with the subject of suicide and being suicidal in a pretty nuanced way (or at least I thought). The characters even point out that Drowface is pretty racist in the show! Augh!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Terry Pratchett rules, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an intentional trans story just filled through what was acceptable in 1996. Here deserves to be a beloved author in every way that JK Rowling doesn't. Sure its a meme but the Vimes Boots Theory on economic inequality is literally basic principals of Marxism aimed at kids.

The man did not deserve to suffer through dementia

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dreylad posted:

Yeah I remember when Netflix killed the D&D episode a lot of people were asking if anyone asked for this. There was never even a astroturfed demand for it to be nuked, it was just arbitrarily decided that it should be removed.

Which is horseshit, it's one of the best episodes of that show and deals with the subject of suicide and being suicidal in a pretty nuanced way (or at least I thought). The characters even point out that Drowface is pretty racist in the show! Augh!

It was blatantly virtue signaling. Even more blatanly so when they defended Dave Chapelle attacking trans people in God's comedy specials they were all for "Free Speech" than

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dreylad posted:

same thing happened to always sunny

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

same thing happened to always sunny

Which episode? The musical one with Scott Bakula?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

brugroffil posted:

lol the last scene of the most recent The Rehearsal

it was incredible lol. the whole series we've been given all these red flags and led to be suspicious of Angela's political views, and then we get kindly but sassy Jewish grandma to give us the cathartic moment and let us confirm those suspicions. so the reveal that she is by far the most monstrous person Nathan has ever had on his shows was perfect.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Dreylad posted:

Probably the lethal weapon episodes where mac puts on blackface

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dreylad posted:

they pulled 5 episodes. 2 lethal weapons with blackface , two with dee's brownface, then the frank brownface and mac's , i dont even know what it is. offensive chinese woman costume

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vMoKc8D60Y

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 16:47 on Aug 15, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not to spoil but Pratchett definitely doesn't go back on the whole dwarven femininity thing and it becomes an ongoing plot current throughout the series from then on. Getting a bit blatant at points especially towards the end where he's unfortunately basically trying to get as much out as he can before he dies, but still. Complete with some bits mildly exploring the implications for genderqueer dwarves and humans involved in the culture. And a lot targeting sexism and gender roles with an extremely critical eye, even outside of Monstrous Regiment.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

it was incredible lol. the whole series we've been given all these red flags and led to be suspicious of Angela's political views, and then we get kindly but sassy Jewish grandma to give us the cathartic moment and let us confirm those suspicions. so the reveal that she is by far the most monstrous person Nathan has ever had on his shows was perfect.

The last scene was with Nathan's mom.

e: the stuff with Angela was good too, of course

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

brugroffil posted:

the hardcore zionist at the end was Miriam, the tutor.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

brugroffil posted:

that wasn't Nathan's mom it was the rabbi he invited over to teach his "son" about Hanukkah

edit: gently caress You Stop Fitzgerald

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/jackguerre1/status/1558557427754213377

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

oh right my mistake!

still, funny

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

yelling "careful nathan!!! careful nathan!!!" at the end of the episode where they talk about israel vs palestine

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I need to watch The Wind that Shakes the Barley (socialist movie) again soon because the cast has been popping up on the timeline recently with some good poo poo
https://twitter.com/lildickbrah/status/1558854938649923590?s=20&t=jvYRkR5GbfStPfHjalKHMg
https://twitter.com/liamcunningham1/status/1556630033254465538?s=20&t=jvYRkR5GbfStPfHjalKHMg

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I like when jokes are funny even if they're a bit naughty. the main problem is that jokes like that aren't often funny, they're just a way to shovel the writer's prejudice into the audience while getting to claim plausible deniability. cause it's a joke!!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

first season of community was in 2009. im willing to give a show from more than 10 years ago some leeway on issues that werent really at the forefront back then. as long as its not a pattern i dont see the problem

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Terry Pratchett rules, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an intentional trans story just filled through what was acceptable in 1996. Here deserves to be a beloved author in every way that JK Rowling doesn't. Sure its a meme but the Vimes Boots Theory on economic inequality is literally basic principals of Marxism aimed at kids.

The man did not deserve to suffer through dementia

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not to spoil but Pratchett definitely doesn't go back on the whole dwarven femininity thing and it becomes an ongoing plot current throughout the series from then on. Getting a bit blatant at points especially towards the end where he's unfortunately basically trying to get as much out as he can before he dies, but still. Complete with some bits mildly exploring the implications for genderqueer dwarves and humans involved in the culture. And a lot targeting sexism and gender roles with an extremely critical eye, even outside of Monstrous Regiment.

Man part of me thinks it's too bad he's not around to be a counterbalance to the whole Rowling thing, but part of me is glad he never had to see a discourse where people call him an MRA and whatnot for being an outspoken anti-TERF

Can't imagine Pratchett on Twitter anyway really

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Dreylad posted:

Yeah iirc it was a pretty good handling of it for being part of a dumb comedy series, and sets of a bit of nice continuity in the rest of the season of Neil becoming more confident in his brief appearances in other episodes, including becoming DJ for the school radio.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
We all just need to accept that comedy ages like milk.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Into delicious cheese??

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Atrocious Joe posted:

I need to watch The Wind that Shakes the Barley (socialist movie) again soon because the cast has been popping up on the timeline recently with some good poo poo
https://twitter.com/lildickbrah/status/1558854938649923590?s=20&t=jvYRkR5GbfStPfHjalKHMg
https://twitter.com/liamcunningham1/status/1556630033254465538?s=20&t=jvYRkR5GbfStPfHjalKHMg

uncritical support for true comrade ken loach. pretty much all of his movies are uncompromisingly socialist and his discussion/debate/book with Edouard Louis is also definitely pretty interesting.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
but honestly. more people in cspam should read Louis and it’s a shame he isn’t particularly well known.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

loquacius posted:

Man part of me thinks it's too bad he's not around to be a counterbalance to the whole Rowling thing, but part of me is glad he never had to see a discourse where people call him an MRA and whatnot for being an outspoken anti-TERF

Can't imagine Pratchett on Twitter anyway really

the recent discussion made me go look at his wiki page and i found this gem:

"In a 1995 interview with Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, Pratchett expressed concern about the potential spread of misinformation online. He felt that there was a "kind of parity of esteem of information" on the internet, and gave the example of holocaust denial being presented on the same terms as peer-reviewed research, with no easy way to gauge reliability. Gates disagreed, saying that online authorities would index and check facts and sources in a much more sophisticated way than in print. The interview was rediscovered in 2019, and seen by Pratchett's biographer as prescient of fake news"

sadly, no one is perfect:

"He described The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006) as his favorite video game in a 2009 interview and stated that he used many of its non-combat-oriented fan-made mods.[80] Pratchett wrote dialogue for an Oblivion mod which added a Nord companion named Vilja. He also worked on a similar mod for its sequel The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011) which featured Vilja's great-great-granddaughter."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Remulak posted:

We all just need to accept that comedy ages like milk.

a lot of Raw is still funny idc

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

babypolis posted:

sadly, no one is perfect:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Somehow 'dumb' humor ages the best. Beavis and Butt-head, old slapstick comedies, stuff like that.