Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
That was on par with other 80s cars like yugos, fiats, and the 308.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Motronic posted:

lol

(also, yes, I get it, but you started out with 70s Lancias and these are a full decade newer)

Yeah you have to go back over 35 years to find cars where the timing belt was an actual pain in the rear end unlike anything in the last 20 years and first Porsche 928's are 46 years old how the hell are they that old now

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The '13 TDI timing belt is 130k, which was an impressive improvement over the 90k of the original TDIs.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The 1.6D in my 2006 V50 had a 240k km (150k miles) interval, which in practice means the belt will only be replaced once or twice for the life of the car. The same engine in the Focus and 207 had a 160k km (100k miles) interval tho???

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah you have to go back over 35 years to find cars where the timing belt was an actual pain in the rear end unlike anything in the last 20 years and first Porsche 928's are 46 years old how the hell are they that old now

Holden had to reduce the replacement interval on some Astras down to 60,000km. I think the newest of those would be from 2005 though.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Motronic posted:

944s need the timing and cam belts re-tensioned every 15k for the early ones lol. (and replaced every 30 regardless of manual or automatic tensioner)

What the actual gently caress.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Well this is going back about 10 years or so when I was working at independents but VW cambelt intervals were 40-60k miles. Fords were the odd ones out with 100k mile belt changes. I think my Clio 172 5 years or 70k or something.

My point is that I'd rather have to do as little maintenance on my personal vehicles as possible

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Anyway, putting the chain on the back of the engine, or rather not having the chain tension and auxiliary belt tension all on one end, helps to balance out the loading on the crank

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Anyway, putting the chain on the back of the engine, or rather not having the chain tension and auxiliary belt tension all on one end, helps to balance out the loading on the crank

It seems then optionally we would want the timing chain in the middle of the engine like the Cizeta V16T

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Motos do it without issue.
Also I'm the dual cis-e

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
IIRC, the GM 3.4l Dohc from the 90s used to strike fear in to mechanics when the timing belt needed to be changed.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
the LQ1 also had a chain because it used the original pushrod based block.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

It seems then optionally we would want the timing chain in the middle of the engine like the Cizeta V16T

Owns

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

honda whisperer posted:

What the actual gently caress.

It’s an interference engine too. Lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Still occasionally wonder about the alternate universe where this was the Diablo

(or vice versa or whatever)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This loving thing

https://i.imgur.com/KneByRy.mp4

Seems like a pointless complication waiting to fail

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

Ain't that what most awesome car things are?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

This loving thing

Holy loving poo poo I would not want go under that thing. That does not look like a very firm 'locked' position for holding a full sized car that high up in the air.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Another thing about timing chains: some dipshit manufacturers drive the water pump on the "lifetime service" timing chain. This is a bad idea for multiple reasons. Let's explore two.

First, the water pump will eventually leak. When this happens, the water contaminates the oil that the timing chain lives in. Wonderful!

Second, when the water pump leaks, locks up, or even if the owner wants preemptive replacement, the timing chain needs to come off.

Off the top of my head, Chrysler's god-awful 2.7L V-6 and Ford's 3.5/3.7L V-6 familes both have this terrible design.

Getting a car that high off the air on a STREET seems like an absolutely terrible idea no matter how reliable the lifting device is and how well it locks.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 15, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
the ecotec and quad-4 also share that feature.

And at the polar opposite end you have cam belt driven coolant pumps which are designed to last precisely the life of the belt.
Somtimes featuring idler pulleys with coolant jackets through them. Also designed to last exactly one belt interval.

gently caress you Toyota. gently caress you.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

the ecotec and quad-4 also share that feature.

And at the polar opposite end you have cam belt driven coolant pumps which are designed to last precisely the life of the belt.
Somtimes featuring idler pulleys with coolant jackets through them. Also designed to last exactly one belt interval.

gently caress you Toyota. gently caress you.

Or in the case of the plastic impeller water pumps that VW liked to use, designed to last half the life of the belt :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

This loving thing

Seems like a huge investment that would never pay off with oil changes or any other run of the mill mobile maintenance you could possibly do

And then when it does fail you're really hosed

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Other terrible car stuff, some rear end in a top hat kids got into my car AGAIN on Saturday night. I have ordered some Lora-based sensors that I'm going to wire to the door trigger on my vehicles and integrate with my home automation setup.

I already installed one such sensor in my pickup. I have tested the automation flow* and it seems to work. Hopefully I can catch the little assholes in the act next time.

* Passive arming based on these conditions:
  • All exterior doors have been closed for the last ten minutes
  • My wife and I have not changed states from "away" to "home" in the last five minutes
If a car door or the fence gate opens while the above conditions are met, the automation system beeps a bunch of piezo buzzers around my house, sends alerts to my phone, turns the lights on in my bedroom, and announces on the Echo in the bedroom that something is happening outside.

Lora is a low-bandwidth, long-range wireless technology. I have tested the sensors in the car and they work from almost three blocks away when inside the metal box that is a car interior.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 15, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cursedshitbox posted:

Gears make what power cannot.

You can get a brand new 6.7 psd with 4.88 gears. Though its derated from almost five-hundred-horse. Just two decades ago 4.88, 5.13 or even 6.17 were the norm in the medium duties.

Taller tires make up for some of it, but yeah, if you need to shift stuff, just not fast, that'll do it.

My dad has his dad's '70 Chevy C20 Longhorn with a 350, granny 4-speed, and IIRC, 5.16 (maybe 5.13. 5.x, anyway. It's been a while since I looked at the options sheet inside the glovebox door) gears. In first it would pull away at idle, and probably with a loaded trailer. Of course, it was also doing like 5K RPM at 60 in 4th. Came with the farm-standard hand throttle, too, for hay-hauling duty. Redneck cruise control.

CommieGIR posted:

The '13 TDI timing belt is 130k, which was an impressive improvement over the 90k of the original TDIs.

Our Kia Spctra5 was...75K? I did it twice, once just before we sold it at almost150K miles. I wasn't unhappy with that. I only did the belt the first time, tensioners and idler the second time. Turned out there was nothing wrong with the tensioner, but the idler was a bit rumbly, as I recall.

On the other hand, my Crown Vic has over 200k on the 6' of timing chains. I should probably service those and the tensioners. Got a little rattle on startup.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

This loving thing

Looks like a terminal case of tech brain, a solution looking for a problem.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Taller tires make up for some of it, but yeah, if you need to shift stuff, just not fast, that'll do it.

My dad has his dad's '70 Chevy C20 Longhorn with a 350, granny 4-speed, and IIRC, 5.16 (maybe 5.13. 5.x, anyway. It's been a while since I looked at the options sheet inside the glovebox door) gears. In first it would pull away at idle, and probably with a loaded trailer. Of course, it was also doing like 5K RPM at 60 in 4th. Came with the farm-standard hand throttle, too, for hay-hauling duty. Redneck cruise control.

33s maybe 35s. class 5-6 somewhere around a 40.
I wanna run 4.88 on 42s.

My old rear end high mileage moto has all kinds of chain slop going on in its two cam chains. Its rattly when hot. Its rattly when cold. its rattly and loud. idgaf. I'm probably not going to replace them. Its a really early run engine with like 10 strikes against it. The flywheel is pressfit to the crank and tends to friction weld itself to said crank. That has to come out to do one of the two cam chains. By the time I update that bullshit, apply all the other production run updates, and replace all the worn or damaged parts I could have bought a running takeout which can include the next generation of engine with even fewer issues.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

This loving thing

This would be one of the most awesome things for a remote rally service point

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This would be one of the most awesome things for a remote rally service point

I can't help but think a way simpler, cheaper and more gravel friendly version is quick jacks or similar on a flatbed tow truck? You could build in oil collection tank and poo poo, on board genny (or hell, big ol EV battery these days), air compressor, tool chests, everything.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I can't help but think a way simpler, cheaper and more gravel friendly version is quick jacks or similar on a flatbed tow truck? You could build in oil collection tank and poo poo, on board genny (or hell, big ol EV battery these days), air compressor, tool chests, everything.

Like the way literally everyone does it already where it's allowed? QJ even makes a version with a 12v hydraulic pump so you don't need the genset.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Motronic posted:

Like the way literally everyone does it already where it's allowed? QJ even makes a version with a 12v hydraulic pump so you don't need the genset.

Well I did try to find a picture of such a setup but didn't have much luck, so I figured I'm the smartest big brain and clearly I'm the first person to figure it out. Good that you bought me down a peg, otherwise I might have looked like a real fool.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Well I did try to find a picture of such a setup but didn't have much luck, so I figured I'm the smartest big brain and clearly I'm the first person to figure it out. Good that you bought me down a peg, otherwise I might have looked like a real fool.

You're not being brought down a peg, I'm saying that your postulating is what actually happens in real life rallies, not just internet posting.

You're not going to find many pictures because everyone is too busy to take them and there's no cell service anyway. I have exactly two pictures from the last rally. One was sent to me and I got it once I was back in cell phone range.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Flatbed tow trucks are too big to fit up some of roads for remote service points. A well set up van is perfect and mostly that van is exactly what you want and a wheeled jack like that that can handle some rougher areas would be the thing to lift the car and do some of the more simple tasks. If you need to get under the car then sill stands are still required but in the main for a remote service, if you need to get under they car, you have the kind of problem remote service isnt set up for.

Edit : And to be clear I'm referring to the whole setup and not just the wheelie thing. The wheelie thing would need to work for gravel and grass / mud which could be done and maybe hmmm.... you could change the base design to be more effective but the main idea is great

quote:

Like the way literally everyone does it already where it's allowed?

Almost no one uses quick jacks on remote service because they are in fact a PITA outside of the main service park. And a PITA in the service park frankly.

quote:

because everyone is too busy to take them

Uhhhhh......... sorry but what? Even in WRC events where your time limits are notoriously short and rigid there's time. If you are too busy you are either horribly set up or are replacing the entire front end of a car that some dickhead AI goon managed not backing off for a double caution onto a pothole on Nambucca Heads stage

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 16, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Almost no one uses quick jacks on remote service because they are in fact a PITA outside of the main service park. And a PITA in the service park frankly.

I see you're talking about level of racing where people have still stands. That's not what I'm talking about.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Uhhhhh......... sorry but what? Even in WRC events where your time limits are notoriously short and rigid there's time. If you are too busy you are either horribly set up or are replacing the entire front end of a car that some dickhead AI goon managed not backing off for a double caution onto a pothole on Nambucca Heads stage

Again, mismatched expectations. I'm not talking about WRC. I'm talking remote service at your local/regional event, not something news media show up for in helicopters.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

I see you're talking about level of racing where people have still stands. That's not what I'm talking about.

Again, mismatched expectations. I'm not talking about WRC. I'm talking remote service at your local/regional event, not something new media show up for in helicopters.

I am not just talking about WRC events. I'm also talking about the kind of small events out in the back of Bare Cold rear end in a top hat, ACT 10 kms down the end of a firetrail - https://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/i.php?/upload/2019/02/23/20190223062953-bf8e6571-xx.jpg on a patch of cold windy paddock which actually are more laid back and not as time intensive and you are in fact sitting huddled around a campfire fighting penguins for space to stay warm for hours at a time and getting equipment in and out can be a real challenge esp keepign well set up and easy to work with.

Now for time....WRC events are the ones where you have the *least* amount of time and they still have hours of down time even for the driver and co-driver. Being Service crew? Thats where I do a whole bunch of photography.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 16, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

paying money to have the car potentially kill you every time you try using the tech? uhh. Also a yoke is exactly the shape you don't want to try and be chasing when you need to stop the car doing something it shouldn't like holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/Tweet_Removed/status/1559371194792566784?s=20&t=klFLdBi3KMw4fPgRJYW0hQ

Seems Rivian also has assembly issues...

https://twitter.com/FthePump1/status/1559007309992300544?s=20&t=klFLdBi3KMw4fPgRJYW0hQ

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 16, 2022

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The front fell off

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Scratch Monkey posted:

The front fell off

Ahem, that's clearly the side.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

JohnCompany posted:

Ahem, that's clearly the side.

Well look the thing is that the front usually doesnt fall off

So what happened?

The front fell off, didnt it?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's just converting to VTOL mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Check the bed for a flux capacitor that runs on garbage.