Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
My mom had an old Led Zeppelin tape that for some weird reason had Black Dog very quietly taped on the same part as Stairway to Heaven, so you’d get some very soft riffing during the quiet parts. It was kind of cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dewgy posted:

My mom had an old Led Zeppelin tape that for some weird reason had Black Dog very quietly taped on the same part as Stairway to Heaven, so you’d get some very soft riffing during the quiet parts. It was kind of cool.

Was it an 8 track tape?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
For a while I guess people thought it was funny to edit songs by bands they didn't like into something wildly different partway through and put them on things like Limewire or Soulseek. I once acquired some :filez: of the first Vampire Weekend album that suddenly turned into some kind of Cannibal Corpse-esque death metal halfway through each song.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Imagined posted:

For a while I guess people thought it was funny to edit songs by bands they didn't like into something wildly different partway through and put them on things like Limewire or Soulseek. I once acquired some :filez: of the first Vampire Weekend album that suddenly turned into some kind of Cannibal Corpse-esque death metal halfway through each song.

I don’t see the problem here

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I used to edit the song "Bastard of Christ" by Deicide to be the same size/length as top 40 hit songs and rename it so people trying to get the latest N'Sync or Britany Spears or whatever from me on Napster would end up with that instead of the real song.

EDIT: and yes it was funny as hell

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Did Napster have checksum or was it solely length/title/artist for songs?

I don't remember anything about Napster.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kwyndig posted:

For napster, I think it just had like a red light, yellow light, green light thing for how good people thought it was maybe? And then limewire had a star rating thing I think.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Based on how many downloads I got it seemed to just go by the size of the file or just didn't check at all.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I think? It might have just shown file name and length. It's been a couple of decades so I don't fully remember.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

wa27 posted:

Was it an 8 track tape?

No, though it’s possible it was copied from one, hm. Might have to look into that!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Desert Bus posted:

I used to edit the song "Bastard of Christ" by Deicide to be the same size/length as top 40 hit songs and rename it so people trying to get the latest N'Sync or Britany Spears or whatever from me on Napster would end up with that instead of the real song.

EDIT: and yes it was funny as hell

People renaming songs for a laugh is how I discovered Wesley Willis.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
that reminds me of something that feels like something out of another world now. i was a young teenager watching much music (canada's answer to MTV) and because we were in the process of moving i didn't have any kind of computer or internet access. a music video came on that blew my mind - less for the music but more for the utterly incredible animation. it looked like something out of samurai jack and i remember thinking it was the coolest loving thing i had ever seen. now i know it was gorillaz's classic clint eastwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V_xRb0x9aw

but unfortunately i missed the little overlay that gave you the band name and track title, probably got distracted by how blown away i was or didn't have a pen. i assumed it was some canadian animation art project that someone released as a music video, much would often put on weird stuff like that to get around minimum canadian content laws - if it was it might play a few times ever and then go back into the beaver hour vault and i'd never see it again.

this was on friday, so for the next two days all i did was watch much music with a pen and paper on the hope that they'd replay the track. like, i spent two full days watching garbage videos and content i didn't like at all, just explicitly so i could learn the name of one track, so i could download it from napster when i got my computer back which i did, lol. for all i knew it could have been the last time they ever played that obscure thing and i'd have been wasting my time, the media was gone forever. the idea of dedicating several days worth of effort on a music video feels so crazy now.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Humphreys posted:

Listen for the smoke alarm beep in Nickelbacks 'This Is How You Remind Me'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6BNE62xGqE

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I was so incredibly disappointed when I found out that Del isn't part of the Gorillaz and just a Ft. :smith:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Desert Bus posted:

I think? It might have just shown file name and length. It's been a couple of decades so I don't fully remember.

I think it was this, since people song's were all different quality of uploads, too.

I was the jerk who never made my (veyr modest) music available for download. I was running a 14.4 modem and their downloading made my downloading slow to a stop, so I didn't share.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if some bands seeded poison-pill edits of their own albums onto Napster/Limewire etc just to gently caress with us cheapskates. What I run into nowadays is the more subtle poo poo of people transcoding looooooooowww like 96kbps bitrate poo poo into FLAC or 320kbps which really does seem like something a label would do to gently caress with pirates.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Imagined posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if some bands seeded poison-pill edits of their own albums onto Napster/Limewire etc just to gently caress with us cheapskates.

I vaguely remember on artist who did this, you'd get the first ten seconds or so of the song then you'd get yelled at for "stealing".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://twitter.com/kwiens/status/1558688970799648769

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bargearse posted:

I vaguely remember on artist who did this, you'd get the first ten seconds or so of the song then you'd get yelled at for "stealing".

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Unless you click through to the tweet or embiggen the photo it's easy to miss the buried lede that in the process they got Doom running on a John Deere.

(:thejoke:)

Porfiriato has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Aug 16, 2022

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well they do say nothing runs like a Deere

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone :v:

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Humphreys posted:

Listen for the smoke alarm beep in Nickelbacks 'This Is How You Remind Me'

Going to have to change their username to Dick & Ear Trauma.

The failed technology is anything used to listen to Nickelback :lol:

:canada:

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

Kwyndig posted:

napster had no form of modern day "seeding". when you searched for a song, your results were individual files on individual users drives. youd choose which person to download from and get their file... the little traffic lights usually referred more to the dudes connection speed not being as advertised than the actual files quality

Bargearse posted:

most of the time they start looping the hook around a minute in, so youd start rocking out and get pissed off after a while. i remember many posts back in the day where people didnt notice tho and just thought the songs sucked

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Porfiriato posted:

Unless you click through to the tweet or embiggen the photo it's easy to miss the buried lede that in the process they got Doom running on a John Deere.

(:thejoke:)

I personally worked on the software for that John Deere product (Gen 4 display). It runs Wind River Linux, and we actually already had Doom running on it as a Hackathon project.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

mlnhd posted:

I personally worked on the software for that John Deere product (Gen 4 display). It runs Wind River Linux, and we actually already had Doom running on it as a Hackathon project.

VxWorks? That shows up in a lot of energy infrastructure devices as well.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

It was Linux, not VxWorks. Not real-time. It uses OpenGL to display draw the 3D images of the field on the screen. We had privileged access to the platform during development, of course.

I haven't watched the talk yet, but I will soon. It will be interesting to see someone break into it from the outside.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Aix posted:

napster had no form of modern day "seeding". when you searched for a song, your results were individual files on individual users drives. youd choose which person to download from and get their file... the little traffic lights usually referred more to the dudes connection speed not being as advertised than the actual files quality

most of the time they start looping the hook around a minute in, so youd start rocking out and get pissed off after a while. i remember many posts back in the day where people didnt notice tho and just thought the songs sucked
I recall a band's new album that was uploaded by someone to kazaa and all of the vocals were replaced by musically appropriate cat noises

It's weird to me that of all the P2P services that died or were made dead over the years there's one specific music related one that somehow still persists

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i remember a few years ago ukrainians were helping american farmers jailbreak their deere tractors, and clearly they know what they're doing there!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Aix posted:

Very important in that day because there were some people who would run Napster over friggen 56k.

(It was me)

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Aix posted:

I downloaded the Daft Punk song Robot Rock from WinMX and I kinda dug the way the song repeated itself for four minutes straight, I thought it was a ballsy move to go full conceptual artpop like that even if the joke wore out after a few listens.

I heard the song on radio years later and was surprised to hear that the real version had a whole chorus I never got to hear because I had been listening for all these years to a fake file that only repeated the first eight bars over and over again :haw:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

spaceblancmange posted:

People renaming songs for a laugh is how I discovered Wesley Willis.

I know two people who got into Wesley Willis in high school and they both became outsider art people who don't work and build structures in the woods out of trash and play songs on the guitar about local grocery deals

No forehead scars though

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Neito posted:

Very important in that day because there were some people who would run Napster over friggen 56k.

(It was me)

:respek:

To this day I have not played any of the Total War games. Why? Well, I spent all night tying up the phone line to download the demo to the first one (it was what, 500mb or something?) over 56k, only for it to crash on launch cause my video card sucked.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Arrath posted:

:respek:

To this day I have not played any of the Total War games. Why? Well, I spent all night tying up the phone line to download the demo to the first one (it was what, 500mb or something?) over 56k, only for it to crash on launch cause my video card sucked.

my friend once downloaded all of Fullmetal Alchemist over his 56k connection, back in the day when encodes were targeted to put 26 episodes on a 4 gig DVD. So, about eight gigs total.

It took him WEEKS.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Neito posted:

my friend once downloaded all of Fullmetal Alchemist over his 56k connection, back in the day when encodes were targeted to put 26 episodes on a 4 gig DVD. So, about eight gigs total.

It took him WEEKS.

:mods:

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Bargearse posted:

In an amazing version of this, Ben Folds recorded half a fake album and released it ahead of the release of Way to Normal. It's a mix of real and fake songs, and some of the fake ones are better than the real ones. I got to see him perform the fake version of Bitch Went Nuts live and it was awesome.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Aix posted:

It was also easy to take a look at everthing else that user was sharing, since in theory you had at least some of your musical taste in common with that person. That could be a nice little serendipity; I discovered a couple of bands just poking around the file lists of the people I was leeching from.

You could also see who was leeching from you, in real time. On a few occasions I didn't turn the computer off because (for example) someone in Canada was downloading all my Animaniacs albums and it'd be an hour or so before they were done.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Powered Descent posted:

It was also easy to take a look at everthing else that user was sharing, since in theory you had at least some of your musical taste in common with that person. That could be a nice little serendipity; I discovered a couple of bands just poking around the file lists of the people I was leeching from.

You could also see who was leeching from you, in real time. On a few occasions I didn't turn the computer off because (for example) someone in Canada was downloading all my Animaniacs albums and it'd be an hour or so before they were done.

Look at mr niceguy not trying to gently caress with people, but just enjoy and share stuff.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

in the 90s we only had one phone line so I was rationed like 5 hours/week (also a holdover from our first ISP, which charged by the hour- flat monthly rate dialup internet was, iirc, a shiny new late 90s MSN thing)

I remember wanting to see the FMVs from the new Final Fantasy Chronicles PSX collection, so I set one to download on one of those downloader utilities that let you pause and resume

It took two weeks to download a ~240px tall 4-minute video, a postage stamp of a thing even on the CRTs of twenty-five years ago-

so yah when I started seeing people using flash for video (not long before YouTube hit, and not long after my dialup download days), it positively blew my mind. Of course, now it's, "damnit why does this keep playing in 720p 30fps when it should be 1080/60??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Neito posted:

It took him WEEKS.

and how much of that was redownloading poo poo that corrupted or PAR files lol