Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

But pennies were saved per car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

I thought that most cars added immobilizers in the 90s. Are you telling me that you can just physically cut a key and it'll work in a Hyundai? No chip?

It's not uncommon for manufacturers to be half-assing it until much later than that. GM's only authenticated the ignition switch so you couldn't hotwire it but as long as something turned the electrical switch it must be okay. Most Ford police Interceptor Sedan/Utilities were still fleet keyed to the standard dumb key in use since the CVPI.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

I thought that most cars added immobilizers in the 90s. Are you telling me that you can just physically cut a key and it'll work in a Hyundai? No chip?

https://youtu.be/fbTrLyqL_nw

yyyyyyup

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Lol just got an email from Ford saying our Bronco has been built.... We just bought an Outback Wilderness a month ago :downsbravo:

I would absolutely get hosed on trade in and there's no promise they don't have a ADM to spring on us last minute so not sure what I should do.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Fun fact: GM came up with the original VATS/PassKey systems because they only had a certain number of combinations of ways to cut those old stubby one-sided keys. Customers could sometimes open and start someone else's GM car with their key simply because of the small number of possible key cut variations. Rather than make longer keys and more complicated door and ignition locks, they just stuck a resistor in the key. Customers could still open one another's doors sometimes, but they key was much less likely to be able to start someone else's car because of the large number of available resistor values.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BrownieVK posted:

Lol just got an email from Ford saying our Bronco has been built.... We just bought an Outback Wilderness a month ago :downsbravo:

I would absolutely get hosed on trade in and there's no promise they don't have a ADM to spring on us last minute so not sure what I should do.
Worth talking to them at least.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

BrownieVK posted:

Even if the dealer doesn't, one of the online car buying sites will probably offer you more than you paid for it.

Can't help with ADM though. Hopefully they don't. Some people have had luck shaming dealers on social media.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Ending up in a cx-30 carbon edition. It was here and she loved the color combo. :homebrew:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Pics or it didn't happen

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mustache Ride posted:

Pics or it didn't happen

Well…

They may have promised it to a sister dealership and it shows as sold but it has been here since the 3rd so now they’re trying to figure that out. I loving hate buying cars.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BrownieVK posted:

Take the Bronco if there’s no ADM and sell the Outback on Vroom, Carvana, Carmax, etc. If they spring ADM on you then walk away and keep what you’ve got.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PBCrunch posted:

Fun fact: GM came up with the original VATS/PassKey systems because they only had a certain number of combinations of ways to cut those old stubby one-sided keys. Customers could sometimes open and start someone else's GM car with their key simply because of the small number of possible key cut variations. Rather than make longer keys and more complicated door and ignition locks, they just stuck a resistor in the key. Customers could still open one another's doors sometimes, but they key was much less likely to be able to start someone else's car because of the large number of available resistor values.

Hah, I knew someone who lived near a GM factory town who accidentally unlocked and started someone else's third gen Cavalier (I think) in the parking lot of a Blockbuster. He was first clued in by the radio station being tuned to something he didn't choose. :v:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/1559314757949194242?s=21&t=yCniPh-CepNejKxw67hcsw

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

BrownieVK posted:

Was this the first update you heard from them about it? I’m sure everything Bronco is way more of a poo poo show but we ordered a super duty in March, and got emails when it was scheduled for production (with production dates), when the production date changed (delayed by a week once), when it was built, and when it shipped to the dealer.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

army bases everywhere in shambles

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

This sucks imo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They're supposed to have an electric muscle car coming in 2025, so it's not a massive loss.

Almost everything is going to be dropping the hemi for the hurricanes, and they probably did the math and even at 500hp the rednecks wouldn't buy a straight 6 challenger.

e: Just did a quick check on car-part, if you're looking for a front fender for a 2008 challenger, a 2021 fender will still fit. By the time it goes out of production, likely for the 2024 model year, that will be 16 years of the same stamping.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 16, 2022

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They should have put the Challenger front end retro look on both cars.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FBS posted:

This sucks imo

Agreed. They might be very old by now but they still look & sound great.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Keyser_Soze posted:

You probably can. Won’t line up, but it might bolt on

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Steve French posted:

Was this the first update you heard from them about it? I’m sure everything Bronco is way more of a poo poo show but we ordered a super duty in March, and got emails when it was scheduled for production (with production dates), when the production date changed (delayed by a week once), when it was built, and when it shipped to the dealer.

I honestly kind of stopped paying attention. It had been so long we literally bought a house and had two cars in between reserving and it finally being built.

I'll see what happens when it shows up at the dealer. It's a 2 door eruption green Black Diamond 7speed. The only issue is the cargo size vs the outback we use it to haul our show setup for my wife's business and the 2DR Bronco has no space even with the seats down. I'll keep you guys updated.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Dodge is bringing back the Hellcat Durango for ‘23.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Speaking of muscle cars being discontinued, is the Camaro still on the chopping block?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

davecrazy posted:

Dodge is bringing back the Hellcat Durango for ‘23.

*slaps hood* you can hit so many god damned toddlers in under 4 seconds with this bad boy

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Powershift posted:

They're supposed to have an electric muscle car coming in 2025, so it's not a massive loss.

Love to hand a 4000lb missile with a flat torque curve to every 18yo swingin dick fresh out of basic.

Gonna be ejected jarheads loving blotting out the sun.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I think going electric would push the price point out of range of your average boot, 72 month term with 25% APR or not.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

I think going electric would push the price point out of range of your average boot, 72 month term with 25% APR or not.

That's What 96 months with bi-weekly payments are for.

Biweekly, the difference between $50k over 72 months and $75k over 96 months is only $368 to $425. That's only $4 a day, 1 gallon of gas, yearly 18 miles of driving.

Just look at these four squares.......

On a related note,

There's a shop here in town who finances wheels, lift kits, superchargers and diesel repairs. As far as i can tell it's basically through some sort of title loan.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 16, 2022

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Speaking of muscle cars being discontinued, is the Camaro still on the chopping block?

I've been wondering this too. Seems it's been "going away next year" for the past 6 years.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Keyser_Soze posted:

Yes.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Godzilla07 posted:

Twitter sez Dodge cancelling RWD cars
I bet they pull a Taco Bell and bring them back after 3 months.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

PBCrunch posted:

I bet they pull a Taco Bell and bring them back after 3 months.

If I remember correctly it's a combo of emissions and crash test compliance. Stellantis doesn't have enough electric models to compensate for them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dodge Hornet

There will be a GLS package on the lower end model which is still a 265hp 2.0t

R/T is a plug-in hybrid with 1.3 liter turbo + 44hp starter/generator driving the front axle and 121hp electic motor driving the rear which seems pretty neat.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh my gawd.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2022/products/porsche-911-gt3-rs-world-premiere-29177.html

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Just watching this now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE-ZCQdpqeg

Not a massive 911 guy but loving hell this looks monstrous. That DRS wing is loving wild. Edit: you can change compression and rebound on the dampers from the loving steering wheel. :monocle:

Edit2: Video is really good, talks to Mr GT3 RS. Weissach package adds shitloads of carbon, including switching the roll cage from steel to carbon.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 17, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know it's all functional, but man I don't like those hood vents.

I like that it just has normal rear end door handles though:

Instead of the Tesla-like flush handles that extend out:

I just wanna grip'n'rip

Edit: ^Wouldn't a carbon roll cage be terrible? I thought carbon fiber's whole thing is that it's really strong in only 1 direction. I would think it would be susceptible to just collapsing in an actual severe roll over :thunk:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 17, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sab669 posted:

I know it's all functional, but man I don't like those hood vents.

I like that it just has normal rear end door handles though:

Instead of the Tesla-like flush handles that extend out:

I just wanna grip'n'rip

Edit: ^Wouldn't a carbon roll cage be terrible? I thought carbon fiber's whole thing is that it's really strong in only 1 direction. I would think it would be susceptible to just collapsing in an actual severe roll over :thunk:

I think the normal handles are for usage with gloves, flush handles cannot be easily opened with them.

The cf in the cage can be produced to be strong in multiple axis, it just requires different techniques in weaving that makes it incredibly expensive.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
A CRP roll cage seems fun since it tends to fail spectacularly, throwing CF splinters everywhere!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nidhg00670000 posted:

A CRP roll cage seems fun since it tends to fail spectacularly, throwing CF splinters everywhere!

The guys at cars and coffee won't know what hit them. :ohdear:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

I think the normal handles are for usage with gloves, flush handles cannot be easily opened with them.

Oh definitely, makes total sense to replace them for the track version. I just have an irrational dislike for those flush extendo-o style handles that were added with the 992 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Normal handles are fine, just like round steering wheels and turn signal stalks