Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah, that was pretty underwhelming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Have they ever done a cutscene like that before? I don't remember ever seeing one.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Marx Headroom posted:

The update just delivered a dramatic FMV about doomsday and Thargoids and all these galactic events and then dumped me back into my SRV running raw material relog loops like

lmao... yes.

Also no, they have never done a cutscene like this before - frankly I found the out-of-body experience extremely immersion-breaking - I'm penning an angry brown sea post now...

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
That cutscene seemed really low cost, thargoids doing pew pew and ugly explosions. Game looks better than the cutscene, weird.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dwesa posted:

That cutscene seemed really low cost, thargoids doing pew pew and ugly explosions. Game looks better than the cutscene, weird.

For now...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dwesa posted:

Honestly it felt like everything that could have been recorded directly in-game currently (ex, the panning shot of the on-ground site and the views of NPCs themselves on ship bars) made everything else more glaringly "we got some 2d clipart that we're sliding around"

It's honestly hard to tell if it really was just literal 2d art or if the person doing the shot composition managed to somehow make it look two-dimensional when it wasn't, which would honestly be moderately impressive

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I'm curious where fdev is going with the story of this stuff, because it certainly seems like they are gearing towards the thargoids doing an invasion of the bubble or something and the fact that they are requiring odyssey (or integrating horizon users into a limited odyssey client) makes me think they are going to do ground combat related to all of this. Or at least I hope. Apparently if you go to HIP 22460 you can see thargoids basically abducting escape pods?

They really stretch and drag this content too thin, but I guess that's E:D in general.

Reminder that today is the last day of being able to get a twitch drop (Krait mk2 today). And then you have to claim them by the 12th in the drops page after linking to your account. Same links as above.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

PSA: if, like me, you have been spending a lot of time in your Krait II or your Python, do yourself a favor and fly a Chieftan. Yeah, it's got less raw firepower, but I feel like I'm flying a Vulture again. Being able to do a 180 in like two seconds is extraordinarily satisfying. Game good.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I hope they add Thargoid romance options soon.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

That would certainly get the Mass Effect crowd.

The Chieftan is great. Tokyo drifting into a station is :discourse:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I also second the chieftain. It's going to be my next engineering project, gonna load it up with MCs and pacifiers.

Not sure how I'm going to handle the different muzzle velocities but I figure it doesn't matter if I'm close enough.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I put two rial guns on my dolphin and blew up a pirate that tried to interdict me doing material loops. I was surprised how well it worked for just being two small hardpoints.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Does this matter:
https://www.pcgamer.com/after-nearly-30-years-elite-dangerous-and-planet-coaster-studio-ceo-david-braben-steps-down/

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Braben, the creator of the groundbreaking 1984 space sim Elite, will still have a hand on the wheel: Frontier said he will "retain his leadership and vision for Frontier's strategic direction"

he's going to retire to his office to hand-reject every CG that has a potential to pay out more than 300 million per player

so no, doesn't matter in the slightest

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Is there a way to tell from the system map whether a given station has ammunition reload available or not? Seems like no, seems like something that should obviously be there, at least for stations you've visited before.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Muscle Tracer posted:

Is there a way to tell from the system map whether a given station has ammunition reload available or not? Seems like no, seems like something that should obviously be there, at least for stations you've visited before.

There should be a list of "Facilities" under...I want to say "Information" on the right hand panel, when you have a station selected? Repair/Rearm/Refuel should all be distinct entries that show up (or don't) on that list, assuming FDev didn't break something since the last time I looked.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I put two rial guns on my dolphin and blew up a pirate that tried to interdict me doing material loops. I was surprised how well it worked for just being two small hardpoints.

I'm transiting someplace and got interdicted. I stop, target them, deploy my weapons and!! they're all powered down. Dammit!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I did that once when I still had my afmu powered up when trying to bring out my weapons. It was uhh, tense.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Which is why setting your power priorities up is very important.
Just make sure your AFMU is higher numbered and you can freely forget about it, it will get powered down if you don't have enough juice.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Pilot sniping isn't a thing in this game, right? Like if you blow out someone's canopy, there's no chance you'll kill the commander directly? (Imagine if the commander was another internal module!)

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
No, I think the pilot is now technically a hologram anyway

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Why do holograms need oxygen anyway

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Me, sowing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5hkwdFIjo

Me, reaping:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVPZOhCDo7I

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

When the space canopy gets blown out you hear yourself breathing in your space helmet, you just lose your HUD I think

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

This is true of SRVs and fighters, but not the main ship. If you get blown up, Alexa tells you to "Eject, Eject!" etc.

Also wouldn't make much sense if you were taking "assassinate" and "massacre" pilotless drone ships.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

smug jeebus posted:

Only when visiting another ship! Which begs the question, if you can "holo-control" my fighter for me, why can't I just "holo-control" my own ship while sitting safely in station?

Apparently regulations in the Elite universe demand your personal presence for a lot of things. Though I'd like to see the encrypted code used in communications to make sure the other person you talk to is really there and not just a hologram pretending to be

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Lack of FTL communications. Why do you think data courier missions exist? Even several light seconds of latency within the same system would make drone piloting very difficult.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

This is true of SRVs and fighters, but not the main ship. If you get blown up, Alexa tells you to "Eject, Eject!" etc.

Also wouldn't make much sense if you were taking "assassinate" and "massacre" pilotless drone ships.

Then explain how I go from being in the SRV to walking on the ground.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Then explain how I go from being in the SRV to walking on the ground.

The inverse of however I can self-destruct my SRV and appear instantly in my cockpit, unharmed.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Telepresence is no longer cool. Teleabsence is the new hotness

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Libluini posted:

Only when visiting another ship! Which begs the question, if you can "holo-control" my fighter for me, why can't I just "holo-control" my own ship while sitting safely in station?

Apparently regulations in the Elite universe demand your personal presence for a lot of things. Though I'd like to see the encrypted code used in communications to make sure the other person you talk to is really there and not just a hologram pretending to be

Trying to fit four players on the same ship (just stick that fourth chair right in the aisle) has been an exercise in frustration. If we can stick together to make it to a planet surface it can be lots of fun. But, more likely than not, one of us will crash or disappear before we can get everybody together and pointed in the same direction.

When it works it's great but it's one in three that things go smoothly and we all get paid.

e: Ha! I dropped off my data and was headed back and I bloody well ran out of fuel! So I contacted the Fuel Rats.

Their professionalism and response time was fantastic and it was an honor to have my mistake corrected by the best!

Plan R fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 15, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

When the space canopy gets blown out you hear yourself breathing in your space helmet, you just lose your HUD I think
The only real HUD elements you lose are the things in the middle; you can still use the compas to navigate - while participating in the CGs in HIP 22460, my canopy got shot out enough from Hydras getting pissy that I eventually got very decent at navigating that way, so now I almost wish the middle elements didn't exist.

Muscle Tracer posted:

The SLFs work via teleprescence (hence why you can switch with your NPC(s) or crew mate(s)).
When you're using the SRV in turret mode it's also via teleprescence, but when you self-destruct the SRV because you got stuck on a tree in the crystal forests, you respawn back in your ship like the SLFs.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I came back to this game for another cycle of space madness. The very first thing I did was pancake my exploraconda onto a high g world about 12k lightyears away from the bubble in the formidine rift

:frontear:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Know what i haven’t seen in a while? People’s cockpit setups. I’m debating hooking my PC to my 4K 55” TV, then getting a wireless keyboard to sit in front of my TV with. But at the same time, I already have VR.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I use the keyboard unless I"m fighting or dropping. The new "retrieve X from X site" is worth a lot. Also, it's fun to use mine launchers and carpet-bomb the enemy!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Know what i haven’t seen in a while? People’s cockpit setups. I’m debating hooking my PC to my 4K 55” TV, then getting a wireless keyboard to sit in front of my TV with. But at the same time, I already have VR.

Here's mine! I have a HOTAS setup with a custom switchboard (pictured) that has most of the auxiliary functions bound to it. The Xbox controller is for when I'm driving an SRV

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

HonorableTB posted:

Here's mine! I have a HOTAS setup with a custom switchboard (pictured) that has most of the auxiliary functions bound to it. The Xbox controller is for when I'm driving an SRV

Is that a roll of toilet paper? :D

Also, that’s a great setup! I love seeing those custom switch boxes and stuff that people make. Very cool!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That switchboard rules and I'd want one real bad if my setup wasn't just a Steam Deck

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Is that a roll of toilet paper? :D

That's in case they find an undiscovered earthlike planet to scan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Gottahavemyvape(s).gif

Where did you get that switchboard?