Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

The beta discord being semi-public is one of my favourite parts about stable diffusion, because not only are you generating your own 1-9 Rembrandts a minute, so is everyone else and you can see their results, allowing you to iterate that much faster. Feeling lost, your idea just not working out? Jump into one of the other 50 channels and look for something that catches your eye and copy/paste it wholesale into your own channel and exchange one or two words to make it match with what you were going with originally. Its wild!

The discord gives it a collaborative feel which feels much more like early internet. I remember posting in guest books for help on my website as a kid and actually getting it. It's nice to see a return to the more wild west open internet of the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Interested to see if anyone else can get close

Tried cocktail napkin?

okay this steaming shot of piss is too high quality - this should be someone adjusting the tint setting on their TV.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I mean, if anybody wants to just look at (and post) sweet AI pics, there's the PYF Procgen thread

Anyway, here's some possible Dune book covers from midjourney.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

KakerMix posted:

You're using the tool yeah? Your opinion matters just as much as anyone's, your thoughts on the matter mean something in the greater conversation. Personally I really like the mix of incredibly wild art and the philosophical quandaries associated with it. I straight-up reject your 'go somewhere else I don't want to feel bad' request. :colbert:

Well if you want my honest opinion, art that was made from scratch by a human will always feel special to me because of the skill and effort involved.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

pixaal posted:

The discord gives it a collaborative feel which feels much more like early internet. I remember posting in guest books for help on my website as a kid and actually getting it. It's nice to see a return to the more wild west open internet of the 90s.

Someone PMed me on Discord to explain the error I was getting since I got it a few times in a row (exceeds max steps, from using a seed with a lower case -s).

Made me feel so jazzed lol

More stolen prompt time

!dream "interior of an american diner in arkansas, cyberpunk style, hyperrealistic and beautiful painting, 8 k resolution, by hugh ferris and john smith, polished, fine detail, intricate, blue color scheme, smooth, octane, concept art, trending on artstation " -n 9 -i -s 150 -W 704

This one I questioned how much all the style prompting was doing

!dream "an escalator in an abandoned mall in the 1980s, taken over by nature, covered in vines, nature style, hyperrealistic and beautiful painting, 8 k resolution, by hugh ferris and john smith, polished, fine detail, intricate, smooth, octane, concept art, trending on artstation " -n 9 -i -s 150 -W 704

!dream "an escalator in an abandoned mall in the 1980s, taken over by nature, covered in vines " -n 9 -i -s 150 -W 704

I think once it tries to get realistic enough as a painting it's not really doing much different from its default which seems to be photograph in this case

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Yaldabaoth posted:

Well if you want my honest opinion, art that was made from scratch by a human will always feel special to me because of the skill and effort involved.

Yes but we are at the point where you can not tell. If this feeling is so important than it should come through the art itself, no?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I think once it tries to get realistic enough as a painting it's not really doing much different from its default which seems to be photograph in this case

I always start simple like Matt Berry watermelon > Matt Berry with a watermelon for a head > Matt Berry with a watermelon shaped like Matt Berry for a head.

Then if I'm mostly getting realistic looking stuff I'll lean into photo terms, if I get more cartoons I lean into that, if I'm going for one or the other for a specific reason I'll force it here too and not earlier.

What I'm doing is look at how the AI is building on what I've put in and trying to mold it to what I want while still giving Stable Diffusion room to be creative itself. Once I lock in the seed I start looking for artifacts and try to describe them as something and get stable diffusion to make them part of the picture. Maybe something I haven't described is present and I can start describing that but fine details are once the seed is locked.

I haven't done a proper generation in a few days, they take 30-60 minutes to get a good final image with this but I can usually tell in under 3 minutes if it's worth exploring.

I've never really used an artist name I know the work for getting some fantastic stuff but I find building something completely original and describing the techniques to be more satisfying.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Yaldabaoth posted:

I admit I started to feel a little bit guilty whipping the bot into giving me another nine fresh Rembrandt's, because whilst the previous eighteen were all masterpieces, none were the specific masterpiece i wanted.
What would the actual man himself have replied to my impossible commission?

I think his plight (whatever that means since he is long dead) is outweighed by the fact that anyone can do this now, even someone who does not even have the means to lift a paintbrush, let alone dedicate their *entire life* to the singular purpose of creating like, five well known pieces of coloured canvas. How many people have had great ideas that never saw the light of day? We will never know, but now at least the playing field will be somewhat more even.

And Rembrandt will forever be remembered as "that cool filter you apply" to make your idea really pop.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Midjourney seems to put on a lot more artistic stuff by default. Seems you can also adjust the settings a lot.. https://midjourney.gitbook.io/docs/imagine-parameters I have to try out those next.

a man in exoskeleton fighting monsters with guns

blueprint of_a cyberpunk shovel made of glass

scene from earth in year 2300 after climate change

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My dall-e-2 invite came through. Only tried a couple so far

“A middle aged man in a blackbelt taekwondo uniform drinking a beer and eating a pizza ”

And then a different take
"A standing middle aged man in a blackbelt taekwondo uniform drinking a beer and eating a pizza in the style of johannes vermeer"

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Rip, stablediffusion now only generates 4 at a time at max of 50 steps

E: they say they're updating, but no announcement and the creator is talking live and hasn't talked about it which is bizarre. Hope the 4/50 limit is temporary

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 15, 2022

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
They confirmed it's an intentional nerf, RIP

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
LMAO that AI is already too powerful and people can't monetize if fast enough before it breaks out of it's limiters.

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Yes but we are at the point where you can not tell. If this feeling is so important than it should come through the art itself, no?

I think there will still be a desire for art made entirely by humans. With physical works you will still be able to tell (until the day someone hooks one of these up to a robot arm holding a brush, I guess). For those that value it, having art on your walls or going to a gallery to see the things that people have made will always be preferable to seeing the 900th variation of "Shrek on the moon eating a hot dog with Nicolas Cage" posted to Twitter type of stuff that most people are doing with this.

The rest of what people are doing with this, the more serious stuff, is not what I would consider to be "art" in the sense that you allude to where "feeling" is "coming through." I have seen some very cool stuff made with SD and Dall-E that would (and does) make graphic artists, illustrators, and painters feel jealous and inadequate in terms of technical skill. I have even seen stuff that I thought was inspirational in terms of using the AI work as a jumping off point for something finished and meaningful. I have yet to see any AI generated art that moved me beyond being impressed with the technical wizardry behind it.

I'm not saying that it won't happen. It is after all just a tool. Maybe someone will figure out a way to use it that moves people beyond "wow, neato."

I feel like whoever the person is that accomplishes that will have a huge stigma to overcome. The low bar to entry means that most of what is produced with AI will be cheap and meaningless, however technically impressive or aesthetically pleasing it might be. Especially if what is made is mostly memes or monkeycheese (and so far, most of it is). This is going to color public perceptions of AI work so that anyone who calls themselves an AI artist will have a pretty steep hill to climb.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Did these before the change, ancient civilizations constructing a cheeseburger and Dyson sphere respectively. Not accurate to prompt but cool

Also these, more " mothership that looks like thing"

Barack Obama

The Twin Towers

After the limit it it forces grid mode for multi images. So I'm just gonna start posting whole grids probably, enjoy!

A hoagie

Can of corn

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Literally "monkey cheese" (in the same cosmic horror style as above)

And with no styles, just the two words

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Generating fat player named "Glorp Doop" of various sports

Gotta say I'm a big GIGPISS fan

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
What's it like if you specify using crayons or coloured pencils? Do you get something that looks like a child art prodigy?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Gromit posted:

What's it like if you specify using crayons or coloured pencils? Do you get something that looks like a child art prodigy?

!dream "a crayon drawing of a sea otter"

!dream "a sea otter! made out of construction paper" -n 4 -C 10.0

!dream "a sea otter drawn with colored pencils" -n 4 -C 10.0

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Finally started playing with Stable Diffusion. I don't know why, but I got addicted to the prompt "<x> working the front counter of mcdonald's ready to take your order, eighties polaroid, flash photography, photorealistic, kodachrome" replacing <x> with different celebrities.

Anya Taylor-Joy

Alex Trebek

Dolly Parton

DJ Khaled

Selena Gomez

Jason Voorhees

Scarlett Johansson

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine

Albert Einstein

Nayeon

The Rock with an afro and a tight black turtleneck and fannypack

Solid Snake (David Hayter)

Doja Cat

Kermit the Frog

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
The problem with AI music is that it's harder to trick our brains to smooth over the imperfections. Bad notes/beats/compositions really stick out. I've been playing around with AIVA, which either takes parameters or a MIDI file as input, and the best I could get after lots of iteration and tweaking was just...ok. Like nothing that wouldn't need a lot of post-production.

EVIL Gibson posted:

dude right after the request posted an example but something similar to Radiohead would be cool to see

I drew castles in my margins...

Starting to get there, it's a tricky style to emulate.

"scribbled very messy pen drawing of an evil grinning cartoon bear next to a furnace that has blackened skulls in it, fine pen on paper, three year old, full body"

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
Sweet bringer, painting by Frank Frazetta

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

!dream "a crayon drawing of a sea otter"

Thanks. Not as crayon-y as I was hoping.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Gromit posted:

Thanks. Not as crayon-y as I was hoping.

small child's drawing of a sea otter, crayons, rough

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mola Yam posted:

"scribbled very messy pen drawing of an evil grinning cartoon bear next to a furnace that has blackened skulls in it, fine pen on paper, three year old, full body"

I started simple and can confirm "# year old" really does make it look like something drawn as a very simple sketch

I'm working on the messy scribbed stuff now

quote:

Dreamt in 4.78s for @EVILGibson's !dream "simple sketch of a rabbit, by a 2 year old, done in 6 lines " -S 1978924175

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I got in on Dall-E. Of course I tried 'A normal human hand with five fingers color photo'. Thumbs are weird, but no grafted monstrosities. It even generated a brown hand and a lady's hand.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Weird that theres not a single white hand among them.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I was thinking I could use Dall-E for making a new av.

I got monsters, Dall-E has no idea what an axolotl looks like :wooper:

"an axolotl wearing a straw hat and holding a pitchfork is standing in a lush cornfield. the sun is shining and the sky is blue with cumulus clouds. HDR color photo."

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Monglo posted:

Weird that theres not a single white hand among them.

I think it's trying to come with a sort of average human skin tone. Particular the upper right one.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

axolotl farmer posted:

I was thinking I could use Dall-E for making a new av.

I got monsters, Dall-E has no idea what an axolotl looks like :wooper:

"an axolotl wearing a straw hat and holding a pitchfork is standing in a lush cornfield. the sun is shining and the sky is blue with cumulus clouds. HDR color photo."

You can try enhancing axolotl-ness with the Latin name or adding "amphibian"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yaldabaoth posted:

this kind of anti AI bigotry is why they are gonna rise up :ohdear:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

LMAO that AI is already too powerful and people can't monetize if fast enough before it breaks out of it's limiters.

im certainly not paying a dime to artbreeder again lol

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

You can try enhancing axolotl-ness with the Latin name or adding "amphibian"

Got more weird guys. Top left has a sort of realistivc axolotl in addition to the faceless farmer.

'an amphibian Ambystoma mexicanum wearing a straw hat and holding a pitchfork is standing in a lush cornfield. the sun is shining and the sky is blue with cumulus clouds. HDR color photo'

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Pretty decent effort.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm still waiting to get out of the DALL-E 2 waiting list, hoping for better. Because I couldn't get Midjourney to produce decent results for "Two Jawas chopping up a Lamborghini Aventador in Mos Eisley" and "A pink fluffy Godzilla standing near the Eiffel Tower, fighting off X-Wing fighters."

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
ai is a fad that will die the moment people realize it can only create things that have already been represented somewhere on the net, zuck will try making an AI-VERSE, signalling to everyone the tech has jumped the shark

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

KakerMix posted:

These feelings are not new

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Work_of_Art_in_the_Age_of_Mechanical_Reproduction

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Humanity needs to make a bipedal robot that I can send out into the world to hustle people with advanced scamming AI.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

Humanity needs to make a bipedal robot that I can send out into the world to hustle people with advanced scamming AI.

There are millions on Twitter, check any crypto hashtag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Tunicate posted:

There are millions on Twitter, check any crypto hashtag

oh no doubt, I'm talking about like 3 card monte and poo poo. Or you get a really good scam bot out there setting up MLMs, doing timeshare presentations.