Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

babypolis posted:

sadly, no one is perfect:

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

oscarthewilde posted:

but honestly. more people in cspam should read Louis and it’s a shame he isn’t particularly well known.

i read the end of eddy and i think who killed my father, the 1st of which was amazing

that NYT op ed he wrote about his dad voting for le pen was really great too

def has potential for something bigger + english language crossover i think

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

loquacius posted:

Man part of me thinks it's too bad he's not around to be a counterbalance to the whole Rowling thing, but part of me is glad he never had to see a discourse where people call him an MRA and whatnot for being an outspoken anti-TERF

Can't imagine Pratchett on Twitter anyway really

There was a twitter row not too long ago where transphobes were trying to claim him, some idiot wrote an op-ed about how we can't know how he would have felt about the trans stuff nowadays, despite all evidence. Just the usual whitewashing/erasing of inconvenient history for bigots, and his daughter and many, many trans/queer fans came out to say otherwise.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Man, the flashback scene in the first season of Better Call Saul where Jimmy tells Chuck he passed the bar is excruciating

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ReelBrew/status/1559204953259999232?s=20&t=xE3yTO_ar-LuZx4IeyDujw

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The bit where they watch the hosed up video feed and he just deadpans "We're leaving" is one of the most cathartic reactions in horror films

abso-loving-lutely you immediately abandon your mission the moment you see that poo poo, gently caress duty, gently caress money

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i got ice cream one night and the stoner-y guy scooping it told me he was re dubbing event horizon to make it all about weed

i need that edit bro

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Fuckin cable man half the finale of bcs is commercials, a single 2 min scene then bam back to ads

Its an hour and a half block but I bet its 45 min of actual show

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Man, the flashback scene in the first season of Better Call Saul where Jimmy tells Chuck he passed the bar is excruciating

Chuck Was Right

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

1stGear posted:

Chuck Was Right

mods

i'm plowing through the back half of the last season right now. everything in black and white rules

god the nacho's dad scene was so sad

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Xaris posted:

threading the needle between what's bad by todays standards, should have been bad then, and the implications is tricky because cultural empathy does change. but also like yes most people in 1950s were raging racists too so it doesn't mean like Song of the South is fine because everyone was racist then, but also i think you can watch it understanding the background that everyone was a raging racist and it's good that the raging racism is less overt these days without saying no one should ever watch it ever (and again, not that you're saying that, but there are people who do).

disney shadowbanning song of the south was what really started all of this nonsense its only a racist movie if youre going out of your way to look for things to be mad about it should occupy a place in the disney animated canon similar to pochahontas where its just something people awkwardly avoid talking about instead everyone treats it like something racists show to their kids at klan rallies

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what really upsets me about song of the south is that african american folk literature is like a very real thing that used to be huge in american culture writ large and people back then were about as familiar with brer rabbit stories as they were with fairy tales like cinderella i mean poo poo bugs bunny is a pretty unsubtle riff on the concept and that whole ideas just dead now no one even knows it ever existed because once song of the south became verboten these folk tales effectively became verboten too

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

disney shadowbanning song of the south was what really started all of this nonsense its only a racist movie if youre going out of your way to look for things to be mad about it should occupy a place in the disney animated canon similar to pochahontas where its just something people awkwardly avoid talking about instead everyone treats it like something racists show to their kids at klan rallies

i saw song of the south at a film showing for kids at my local library when i was like 7 and boy howdy, that was sure the moment when i decided: when i grow up i'm gonna be a racist cracker

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

song of the south is absolutely extremely loving racist, even in the context of its day, but what makes it evil is that Disney tries to pretend they never hosed up, that it’s not a movie that they made, while simultaneously using the characters for a bunch of poo poo in their parks. splash mountain, one of the more popular regular attractions, is literally SotS themed from top to bottom, but gently caress you if you want to acknowledge the movie as existing

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

song of the south is absolutely extremely loving racist, even in the context of its day, but what makes it evil is that Disney tries to pretend they never hosed up, that it’s not a movie that they made, while simultaneously using the characters for a bunch of poo poo in their parks. splash mountain, one of the more popular regular attractions, is literally SotS themed from top to bottom, but gently caress you if you want to acknowledge the movie as existing

sorry but the Disney Vault is even more impregnable than Fort Knox

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Remake SotS but replace Uncle Remus with Uncle Ruckus.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mantis42 posted:

:hmmyes:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat ruckus is a good character

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i don't think i've ever seen pocahontas but it seems pretty close to modern disney flicks with some flavor of minority protagonist (e.g. moana); certainly, it seems like a much closer fit to the modern disney formula than song of the south. song of the south's protagonist isn't even black, it's some random white kid

pocahontas may have been more subtly memory-holed because its male lead is mel gibson lol

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Mantis42 posted:

ok, except for this comedy ages like milk.

replacing uncle Remus with uncle Runkus ages like cream, because for a month or so there is literally nothing better

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

i don't think i've ever seen pocahontas but it seems pretty close to modern disney flicks with some flavor of minority protagonist (e.g. moana); certainly, it seems like a much closer fit to the modern disney formula than song of the south. song of the south's protagonist isn't even black, it's some random white kid

song of the south was the disney formula of the time in that it wasnt really a proper film as it was a very weak framing device designed to hold together a bunch of mostly unrelated cartoons that were too long to work as individual shorts but too short to work as features

song of the south was racist because the worldbuilding of that framing device implied idyllic relations between white kids and former slaves in the late ninteenth century south its not great but its not exactly lost cause mythbuilding given that the movie doesnt even mention the civil war or slavery let alone express opinions about them

pochahontas is likewise problematic because of the worldbuilding but in a completely different way because its a completely different kind of movie its basically a bothsidesism romance that has to end with a formulaic happy ending in spite of the fact that everyone knows drat well thats not what happened

pochahontas also leans really hard into noble savage tropes as was the style at the time and that alone makes a much more definitive statement about racial essentialism than anything in song of the south just because pochahontas has pretensions of an actual plot centered around race relations while song of the south doesnt

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

CFO Lee Ann Gliha said the goal is to make the CW profitable by 2025.

“It’s no secret that the CW is not profitable,” she said, “but this is not typical for fully-distributed broadcast or cable networks. In fact, according to SNL Kagan data, no other broadcast network operates at an ongoing loss.”

One key step on the path to profit will involve a significant reduction of expenses. “We expect to invest a low 9-figure amount over this 3-year period as we implement our plan,” Gliha said. “We view this amount as a proxy for a purchase price – or an investment made over time — rather than an ongoing drag on cash flow. You know us. We are profit and cash flow focused and expect this asset to achieve profitability.”

Nexstar President and COO Tom Carter said Paramount and WBD will continue to produce scripted originals for the network, but he said that arrangement would be “primarily” for 2022-23. Beyond that, Nexstar “will have the option to extend the partnership,” but nothing on that score is guaranteed.

While the remarks didn’t include too many specifics, Carter signaled clearly that the focus will be on retooling the CW, specifically its previous cost structure under founding partners CBS and Warner Bros. In many cases, as suppliers as well as network owners, those companies saw more financial upside in programming shows that could be sold at great margins to subscription streaming outlets. The CW discontinued its longtime output deal with Netflix in 2019 as both parent companies stepped up their respective investments in new SVOD offerings.

“Our approach will be unlike other broadcast network owners,” Carter said. The company would develop its programming “without a dual agenda of greenlighting programming with potential to cross over to SVOD.”

The demographic focus of the CW will also change over time, Carter said. Historically, shows like Riverdale, All American, Arrow and Supernatural have focused on viewers in their teens through their 30s. The reality, though, is that the average CW viewer is 58 years old, and Carter said that schism explains why the CW is the lowest-rated broadcast network

He projected “lower unscripted costs,” without elaborating, and said more syndicated shows would likely be added. The CW has recently been programming 13 hours across six nights in prime time. As the Nexstar deal loomed last May, the company told advertisers at its New York City upfront presentation that it was renewing all current shows but not adding any new ones to the mix.

Citing Kagan research, Carter said the CW spends “almost twice” what its broadcast network peers do on programming, a disparity that Nexstar plans to eliminate.

https://deadline.com/2022/08/the-cw-will-become-profitable-network-2025-broader-cheaper-programming-nexstar-1235092173/

the average CW viewer is 58. the new owners want to shift to reality TV shows to attract more old viewers and finally make a profit.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://deadline.com/2022/08/the-cw-will-become-profitable-network-2025-broader-cheaper-programming-nexstar-1235092173/

the average CW viewer is 58. the new owners want to shift to reality TV shows to attract more old viewers and finally make a profit.
holy gently caress. my mind is seriously blown. i don't believe that. like if anything, the average age of the dipshit Nielsen family poll-responders is 58 years old okay sure. maybe if their stuff was available on streaming so people under 30 didn't have to pirate it? idk

that's honestly kinda sick lmao. well, get ready for a bunch of ford f950 HDR 4k freedom rancher edition trucks and SUV commercials and cop procedurals where they lock up the bad drug dealing brown people

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Imagine being 60 and watching the CW. That's the most powerful voting bloc in America.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

all american and riverdale are both ongoing is that article saying that these shows are outliers in that they have young viewers or that the people who watch those shows are way older than what wed expect

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Imagine being 60 and watching the CW. That's the most powerful voting bloc in America.

what's that old CEO of abercrombie up to

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

all american and riverdale are both ongoing is that article saying that these shows are outliers in that they have young viewers or that the people who watch those shows are way older than what wed expect

yeah they listed the target demos but the actuals are only a decade younger than fox news

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I'm pretty sure the actual reason is that only old people watch television anymore, the channel doesn't really matter

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah CW is broadcast, right?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

yeah CW is broadcast, right?

Yes. It was fused from the remains of UPN and The WB.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

drat horror queefs posted:

I'm pretty sure the actual reason is that only old people watch television anymore, the channel doesn't really matter

thats a more succint way of what i was getting at.

does neilsen family poo poo even exist and does anyone under 65 even participate?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Xaris posted:

does neilsen family poo poo even exist and does anyone under 65 even participate?

I do, actually. Nowadays it's just a little plastic thing that looks like a beeper and you just carry it around in your pocket. Supposedly it has a mic that hears all the media you listen to, and even has an attachment for earbuds that I never use. I get paid 15 dollars a month to carry it in my pocket all day and get entered into a lottery every day I have it on me at least 6 hours.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mantis42 posted:

I do, actually. Nowadays it's just a little plastic thing that looks like a beeper and you just carry it around in your pocket. Supposedly it has a mic that hears all the media you listen to, and even has an attachment for earbuds that I never use. I get paid 15 dollars a month to carry it in my pocket all day and get entered into a lottery every day I have it on me at least 6 hours.

wtf that sounds invasive as hell

id figure with smarttvs constantly spying and reporting back on everything to samsung/lg hq that it would have been obsolete since you dont need to rely on sampling population for what they're watching at a given time, when they switch channels, etc given that's now all auto collected. but well, i guess they figured out an even shittier invasive device

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mantis42 posted:

I thought Nielsen had set top boxes plugged into each tv and paid like $100/mo. What's this about carrying something around?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Aglet56 posted:

pocahontas may have been more subtly memory-holed because its male lead is mel gibson lol

Wow, murderous settler is like Mel Gibson's one roll.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

They're apparently making a hunger games prequel about the old, murderous president when he was a poor little orphaned rich boy or some poo poo and I haven't seen a piece of media so obviously made to try to undermine the themes of the preceding work in ages

wouldn't want teens to not trust the aristocracy, I guess

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://twitter.com/PresidentToguro/status/1559354656970653701?s=20&t=6WRfGReI0tR3JJLC-R-3PQ

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The only people watching any television period are old.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

loquacius posted:

Can't imagine Pratchett on Twitter anyway really

Sadly his account was given a perfect if cheesey sendoff at the time of his death:

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/576036599047258112
https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/576036726046646272
https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/576036888190038016

But then his daughter or whoever decided to keep using it and it remains active to this day. No bad or insulting tweets afaict but just create a @discworld account or something if you want to keep tweeting as the estate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Sadly his account was given a perfect if cheesey sendoff at the time of his death:

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/576036599047258112
https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/576036726046646272
https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/576036888190038016

But then his daughter or whoever decided to keep using it and it remains active to this day. No bad or insulting tweets afaict but just create a @discworld account or something if you want to keep tweeting as the estate.

yeah I uh

would rather that didn't happen