Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hosed up that the search bar searches things imo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Endless Mike posted:

hosed up that the search bar searches things imo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/killedbygoogle/status/1552658225207693312

current googleoid promotion package status: successfully assembled, maybe?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

googleoid, he was a googleoid
one chrome tab too many

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

besides whatever money they were getting from stadia pro or standalone games, the only other source of revenue would have been at&t doing promotions. maybe this is a joke or maybe it's serious but I would be surprised if it wasn't true, given the current tech climate of terminating everything unsustainable right now so that they can get the employees off the payroll.

I wonder how people making full price purchases will be compensated. Actual money refunds (of course not)? Google gift cards? A free stadia sweater? Absolutely nothing? My money's on absolutely nothing except maybe a promotional voucher to an existing service.

Microsoft at least has had the vision and determination to plow endless amounts of money into something they believed in until it came true. Gaming, cloud, and so on. Google couldn't even stick to its original plan before top execs came in and eviscerated the baby in the crib by terminating first party development in the planning stages and burning all those bridges in the process. Never even had an inch of a chance.

Hopefully they open source all of it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

maybe it's worth trying stadia pro for free for 100 days if it's not going to last another 45 anyway

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol you're kidding re: microsoft right

they did the same poo poo with PlaysForSure(R)(C)(TM)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

they did some dumb poo poo for sure, and it was hard to see if it was a serious attempt at making revenue or if it was to ostensibly partner with someone on a failing venture to make those partners weaker

a lot of hardware stuff, like Windows R, hd-dvd, etc have littered the graveyard of failed microsoft projects

but for Stadia, Google didn't even give it a chance. They promised unlimited resources to an executive who told them that it was an expensive proposition, then pulled the rug under his feet when they realized he wasn't kidding.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
stadia was such a lazy concept. just the most basic service they expected uses to flock to because game streaming. not really surprising they stopped flushing money down the toilet after the launch strategy was such a joke.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

googleoid, he was a googleoid
one chrome tab too many

*chome

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

quote:

Actually I was able to [disable 5G.] Just came across a tip that if you disable the Sim and then reenable it, the Preferred Network Options drop-down populates just for a few moments, so now I've got it set to LTE.

You gotta be quick but the option DOES pop up for just a few seconds

The option I selected still persists when I turn the SIM off and back on to get back to that drop-down.

ANROID!

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

https://twitter.com/killedbygoogle/status/1552658225207693312

current googleoid promotion package status: successfully assembled, maybe?

you guys have always been super cool, don't go to stadia tomorrow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tbh, i don't anyone goes to stadia

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

does stadia qualify as a chat app

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
it would have been cool if stadia was good. sucks

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

alas, it was a Google product

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Odsblood! I accidentally cancelled stadia by mistake.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

turn stadia into a chat app, then cancel it to no backlash whatsoever. genius

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
little stream box thing that lets you rent games and run them off the cloud. genius. would love this. sometimes wanna couch game but console too expensive to buy and im also not a teenager so i wont buy one. drat

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have an xbox one and a ps4, both of which I got when they became the last generation consoles.

I am debating whether to give one or the other to my parents as a blu-ray player. But I may end up doing neither, because the user interface for movie playback on consoles is so bad.

They just watch Netflix anyway, so I dunno if I should even bother.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spc2Le65Nrs

I forgot if this was posted but apparently there's a guy that reverse engineered the ouya server api. So we can bring the ouya back, baby!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

sb hermit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spc2Le65Nrs

I forgot if this was posted but apparently there's a guy that reverse engineered the ouya server api. So we can bring the ouya back, baby!

thats pretty cool. back in the day i had so many of those little android sticks for mucking around with weird htpc implementations. i was also a boxee owner lmao. boxee was so cool. that was a cool era.

nowadays i'd love to see a apple tv with a first party controller & software targeting the device as a first class citizen. that would own

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

android messages literally just asked me to follow up on a rhetorical question I sent yesterday. Apparently, they're called "nudges" although I think they should call them "annoyances".

And google wonders why people don't want their AI to read their writing.

And there still isn't any way to disable that drat grammar check on mobile google docs!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Smythe posted:

thats pretty cool. back in the day i had so many of those little android sticks for mucking around with weird htpc implementations. i was also a boxee owner lmao. boxee was so cool. that was a cool era.

nowadays i'd love to see a apple tv with a first party controller & software targeting the device as a first class citizen. that would own

I still have a bunch of old hardware that I want to reflash for my own purposes. IDE SAN boxes, various Buffalo NAS drives, a couple SIP servers, and a grip of Raspberry Pi zeros. I think an rpi zero could be a neat htpc box and tiny console, as long as you severely reduce the scope of what you want to do with it. And if latency is not a problem.

I dunno how widespread apple tv is, but I imagine that someone will eventually come out with a firmware jailbreak that lets you run boxee or whatever as long as you don't need 4K. 4K drivers will likely need proprietary firmware and etc.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Smythe posted:

little stream box thing that lets you rent games and run them off the cloud. genius. would love this. sometimes wanna couch game but console too expensive to buy and im also not a teenager so i wont buy one. drat

luckily the companies actually competent at the whole gaming thing are doing it better than google already.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

dang droid's got some jugs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i believe that's an rear end

hold on, let me turn my monitor on

yes, an rear end

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
saw one of those foldable androids today. seems gimmicky

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

They're only a good gimmick until the screen delaminates, and then they're just eWaste like everything else.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
scroogled again

“Existing connections will be shut down” — Google is killing off Google Cloud IoT Core

:rubby:

also loved this little aside:

quote:

Google’s cloud losses meanwhile hit a giddy $858 million in Q2, largely on Google’s increased spending on data centres: the company insists it is committed to continuing to compete with fellow hyperscalers AWS and Azure.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

excellent combo losing money expanding infrastructure for the customers you at the same time once again randomly gently caress over

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

this is really funny because like azure’s and AWS’s offering it also amounted to (Amazon terms, sorry) an api gateway and a lambda. it should cost nothing to keep alive and anyone that uses it can only use it to buy more of your services.

that they couldn’t just leave it running is pretty damming to anyone ever considering adopting google for anything

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

this is really funny because like azure’s and AWS’s offering it also amounted to (Amazon terms, sorry) an api gateway and a lambda. it should cost nothing to keep alive and anyone that uses it can only use it to buy more of your services.

that they couldn’t just leave it running is pretty damming to anyone ever considering adopting google for anything

its really funny that google is failing to “get” the whole point of hyperscaler cloud PaaS offerings, make a bunch of mediocre MVP products that can be slapped together to create enterprise abominations that your customers will never be able to escape from

…as long as you keep supporting them forever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

anyone ever considering adopting google for anything

this hypothetical person was either born yesterday or has suffered severe trauma to the hippocampus

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what, you’re not optimistic about android automotive?

not android auto, that’s something completely different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

…as long as you keep supporting them forever

google's problem in total is the inability to support anything at all five minutes after they lose interest in it

they have corporate adhd and the only guarantee with any given service or feature is that it won't exist in two years