Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
My MT-03 got stolen last year from my apartment. Make sure you buy a hardened chain- someone made quick work of a crappy Stockton with some bolt cutters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

RIP brother. I'm looking at something like the Oxford Beast, either into a proper ground anchor or wrapped around a concrete support column. Not a cheap chain but I'd gladly pay twice that right now to be able to go riding this weekend.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

knox_harrington posted:

My Scrambler has an issue where the front brake gets more friction at some point on the disc than the rest. It makes it a bit tricky to pull smoothly to a stop so I've been using the rear to finally halt.

Am I right in thinking it's likely to be a deposit on the disc rather than any warping? A quick check doesn't show anything obvious either way. No juddering or noises, just jerky stopping.

Also the neutral light sometimes doesn't come on. Find the switch and check connection? Anything else I should think about?

The bike is still under original warranty + dealer resale warranty so I can just get them to fix stuff but I'm happy to poke around first.

I recognize the issue. The solution for me was new brake pads, i don't understand why but after replacing those the weird, consistent/regular variation in brake force was completely gone.
At the very least clean your disks and take out the pads to see if there isn't anything embedded into those.

If you have floating disks, check if the buttons connecting the brake disk with the carrier are not corroded in place. They shouldn't on such a new bike, but who knows. You can free them up with some brake cleaner and some kind of wooden dowel you jam into them, or sandwhich them between two nuts on a length of threaded rod and spin them like that, with some vice grips.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was cat-sitting for some friends for five days while they were doing a road trip and twice whileI went to check on their poo poo, both the covers of their bikes had been removed so someone could see if there was hidden gold under there. In a "secure" garage. At least they didn't get stolen but they're old bikes so I guess. not shiny enough to warrant attention other than "right click search for loot".

gently caress people, I'm sorry you have to deal with this now :(

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

bizwank posted:

RIP brother. I'm looking at something like the Oxford Beast, either into a proper ground anchor or wrapped around a concrete support column. Not a cheap chain but I'd gladly pay twice that right now to be able to go riding this weekend.

That sucks, man. Hopefully insurance pays out quickly so you can get back on the road.

I was going to ask if a chain would actually do much given cordless angle grinders are a thing, but apparently that chain held up to an angle grinder for over 90 seconds. I'd be asking your apartment complex about moving the bike parking in their "secure" garage somewhere with video surveillance, or better yet, on premises security. Something tells me it took longer than 90 seconds to drill out the ignition on your MT-03 and roll your bike away.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I've been cleaning my garage and had to have mine out in the driveway all week, and threaded one of those cord locks through the back wheel and chain. We live in a quiet neighbourhood so I'm not too worried but it is definitely anxiety inducing even with the lock. At least I'd hear an angle grinder out there

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That sucks to hear about your bike! The usual reminder that since the vehicle market is insane right now to make sure insurance actually gives you enough money to replace the thing assuming all the dealer add on bullshit (even if you're not buying from a dealer).

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

I was going to ask if a chain would actually do much given cordless angle grinders are a thing, but apparently that chain held up to an angle grinder for over 90 seconds. I'd be asking your apartment complex about moving the bike parking in their "secure" garage somewhere with video surveillance, or better yet, on premises security. Something tells me it took longer than 90 seconds to drill out the ignition on your MT-03 and roll your bike away.
The Beast chain has 22mm hardened steel links, and is Sold Secure diamond rated, which is basically the best you can buy. I couldn't find a video of that particular chain being tested but a similar 19mm gold-rated chain took about 90 seconds per cut, but that was in a vice; flopping about it's going to take quite a bit longer, and you need to make two cuts to get a link apart. Will probably also throw an alarmed disc lock on at least one wheel. I dunno, there's no perfect solution but that's the best I can do given my circumstances; if I make my bike annoying enough to steal maybe they'll just pass it up for an easier one. Moving isn't an option, and there's little chance the building will do anything other than make sure the parking contract absolves them of any liability, but if I can get them to agree to letting me install a ground anchor that's a major win, and I am going to look for somewhere to stash my own camera for motion alerts.

Opopanax posted:

I've been cleaning my garage and had to have mine out in the driveway all week, and threaded one of those cord locks through the back wheel and chain. We live in a quiet neighborhood so I'm not too worried but it is definitely anxiety inducing even with the lock. At least I'd hear an angle grinder out there
FYI a cord/cable will probably only take a bolt cutter to remove, as will many padlocks and non-hardened chains, so you might not hear a thing. It's really not fun learning this lesson the hard way.

Russian Bear posted:

That sucks to hear about your bike! The usual reminder that since the vehicle market is insane right now to make sure insurance actually gives you enough money to replace the thing assuming all the dealer add on bullshit (even if you're not buying from a dealer).
I've already brushed up on state insurance law regarding comps and value negotiations, so I may not get as much as I want but I'm definitely going to make sure they do that poo poo by the book. I loved the MT03 but I'm still undecided what I'll replace it with; my last long roadtrip def had me thinking about something more purpose-built for touring. I'm guessing I'll have plenty of time to think about it before there's a check in my hand.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Holy frig I am bike-sitting my pal's Superduke 1290 for a few days, and just took it out for a ride. I don't know how people can ride around something so powerful all the time, the sound and acceleration is way too tempting.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jcam posted:

Holy frig I am bike-sitting my pal's Superduke 1290 for a few days, and just took it out for a ride. I don't know how people can ride around something so powerful all the time, the sound and acceleration is way too tempting.

Self Control.

Or a place where pigs can't roam.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My version of self control is not buying a superbike.

I’ll admit I’m weaker than someone who can buy one then control themself but ayyy who cares.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The vast majority of superbike owners are not capable of controlling the bike properly so self control is just a measure of how long it takes them to crash.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The MT-10 I demoed gave me a distinct "this is too much for me, right now" impression in just a few minutes.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I feel like it's a bad idea to use the full capacity of those bikes outside a controlled environment. It is impossible to account for other vehicles or wildlife, or even road condition. Take it to the track, learn and push it there in full leathers. Crashing is bad and expensive, but there are tire walls, no oncoming traffic, and track marshalls watching your every move, and an ambulance on standby. Lots of people's bikes are coated in plastidip.

I deal with it by being a judgemental rear end in a top hat towards myself and other riders and having a certain ego about accident prevention. People can do what they want but it's safer to assume it is stupid then to let your mind slip and be like wheee.

I want a big bike but not until a couple years of steady track days.

I don't like tickets or the price of gas, so I am keeping my versys even if I get one.

I don't have the self control to never open up a big bike but I am totally OK doing track days often and doing it there when it happens.

And like I have a 125cc chinabike and the 300cc Kawasaki Versys. I am often on the chinabike because it's easy to get out of the garage and why not keep miles off the more expensive bike? The same mindset would prolly carry over if I got a track bike.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 13, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What I really want is a gnarly street legal off-road bike but there is a 0% chance it would be where I parked it the next day.

City livin’ :/

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Update: The thieves came back for the Daytona last night.

Why can't we just have nice things

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Don't have much to say other than that really sucks and I'm sorry.

I would suggest that you make sure you fully pursue the police report and make sure you talk to a detective. The cops won't do anything, but a proper report is in the public record and can't be ignored. Your landlord/garage owner probably won't do anything either, but talk to your local city councilperson and let them know your quality of life is suffering and the might be able pressure the relevant people. YMMV though.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I appreciate that. That said, we both filed police reports (it's required by insurance) but there's gently caress-all chance anything will come of it in this city. There's certainly no detective being assigned; the cop that showed up to take my report didn't even come inside or ask to see where it happened. Motorcycle thefts are through the roof this year (WA is ranked #5 overall) and we're not even prosecuting property crimes where they do have a suspect in custody. I've pretty much accepted that that bike is gone, and I'm focusing my energy on picking out a new one and making it as theft-proof as possible.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
sucks man, sorry to hear about that. i have no real options besides parking on the street in a pretty dense neighborhood of seattle. it is terrifying. i have the built-in fork lock, a disc lock, a gps tracker, and a cover that isn't very attention-getting. probably the best thing going in my favor, however, is that i park it right next to a bike that is obviously worth more than mine.

real talk: a lot of the motorcycle thefts i hear about around here have taken place in parking garages. i wonder if parking on the street has a panopticon effect

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was out doing some nighttime drone flying on Lake Michigan the other night and I had my goldwing parked in a nearby lot.

Every teenage voice I heard, I was sure someone was pushing it over, or smashing the windshield or pissing on the seat or whatever.

It was, of course, just other people out for nighttime walks by the lake. A couple people stopped to ask if I was flying a drone, and to also reply “at night?” When I told them I was, but the bike was fine.

All this being said, I feel ya on worrying about your bike around other people, sucks, but it’s part of it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I feel like the police need to go after folks who ride without plates. If no one cares it encourages theft because no one is checking. Hate to be a Karen but.

Sorry that sucks a lot.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Do the police not stop people with no plates? I feel like over here a cop would immediately spawn into existence and pull me over.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Hell, my dad once got pulled over for having a tow hitch that was slightly in front of the number plate. Didn't get a fine, but he would if he'd continue driving around like that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Cops where I live don’t do anything about plates, every day I drive behind someone with a temp tag from over a year ago or no tag.

Also the population and cost to live here has skyrocketed, plus when we had a lot of cops they ended up on the news for gunning someone down then being straight up psychopaths when the following protest erupted.

Sucks my bike might get stolen but gently caress the people who probably wouldn’t have prevented it anyways.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Rolo posted:

Cops where I live don’t do anything about plates, every day I drive behind someone with a temp tag from over a year ago or no tag.

Also the population and cost to live here has skyrocketed, plus when we had a lot of cops they ended up on the news for gunning someone down then being straight up psychopaths when the following protest erupted.

Sucks my bike might get stolen but gently caress the people who probably wouldn’t have prevented it anyways.

X2. Cops ain't gonna prevent or find poo poo.
ACAB indeed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/coochiedeclined/status/1190663383118483461

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Taking Kobe Bryant as an example they are more likely to take pics of your corpse and spread them around for laughs.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Rolo posted:

You’ll have to be more specific, America is a big place.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

TheBacon posted:

You’ll have to be more specific, America is a big place.

I'm in upstate NY and it describes what is going on here. No chase policy, lot of concerns about police action. Lot of bikers getting hurt here. If you have any younger friends the algos get you on tiktok and instagram. A lot of riders are depressed and sorta suicidal, riding hard and dying as an outlet. Very sad.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Cops are pretty much useless. You just have to wrap yourself in a cocoon of resources and privilege in this society.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Really cool place to mount the front brake lines, Zero. Not at all in the way of anything that you might need to get to.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
God, that sucks. And coming right back for your neighbor’s bike is just salt in the wound.

People are desperate and doing lovely things, but I also can’t help but feel like a conspiracy nut because for years I had this feeling that the catalytic converters thefts here in Portland, Oregon targeted too many poor neighborhoods to be just random poor people and it turns out there was a ringleader living on lakeside property in our rich people suburb.

Now I keep wondering what other thefts are being organized by someone who doesn’t even need the money.

ACAB all day, with or without a tin foil hat.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All this talk about EVs makes me wonder how the adjustment to a non-clutched drivetrain is. I'm so used to feathering the clutch to modulate power to the rear wheel in certain scenarios that I have to imagine it would be an unwelcome reminder situation for the first little while.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Try riding a scooter?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean I'm not in danger of buying an EV or scooter so it's a moot point for me. Is it a non-issue though?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

some kinda jackal posted:

I mean I'm not in danger of buying an EV or scooter so it's a moot point for me. Is it a non-issue though?

Yes. Electric cars are some of the easiest things to drive.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

A lot of riders are depressed and sorta suicidal, riding hard and dying as an outlet. Very sad.

Honestly this is a reason I started riding. Being in the Navy life sucked so much and I always wanted a motorcycle and always thought that I didn’t care what happened. Never even wore gear other than a helmet because that was legally required. Even ran from a state trooper once thinking if I couldn’t get away I’d take myself out in the safest way to other drivers possible. (Luckily the statie got cut off by traffic and a broke down car on the shoulder on a bridge.)

Never told anyone that but glad to say that I just love it now and being out the Navy it’s just a fun hobby that still gets me excited with my full gear. :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

some kinda jackal posted:

All this talk about EVs makes me wonder how the adjustment to a non-clutched drivetrain is. I'm so used to feathering the clutch to modulate power to the rear wheel in certain scenarios that I have to imagine it would be an unwelcome reminder situation for the first little while.

I mean it’s the same as driving an automatic transmission. I ride a motorcycle and drive a stick car and switching to my wife’s Toyota Sienna is fine.

Very occasionally I’ll slam my foot down coming to a stop sign, looking for a clutch pedal, but it’s far from a problem.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I mean it’s the same as driving an automatic transmission. I ride a motorcycle and drive a stick car and switching to my wife’s Toyota Sienna is fine.

Very occasionally I’ll slam my foot down coming to a stop sign, looking for a clutch pedal, but it’s far from a problem.

Same, I've never owned a non-manual transmission car (or motorcycle) but switching to auto transmission is fine/easy. Except, and this has only happened once, while borrowing my parent's automatic transmission Forrester, I stopped at a light and absentmindedly put my left foot down on the "clutch" pedal. A minute later when the light changed, I gave it some gas and the car lurched but wouldn't move. Took a few seconds to realize my left foot was crushing the brake pedal as I gave it more and more gas with no forward motion :v:

epswing fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Anita Dickinme posted:

Honestly this is a reason I started riding. Being in the Navy life sucked so much and I always wanted a motorcycle and always thought that I didn’t care what happened. Never even wore gear other than a helmet because that was legally required. Even ran from a state trooper once thinking if I couldn’t get away I’d take myself out in the safest way to other drivers possible. (Luckily the statie got cut off by traffic and a broke down car on the shoulder on a bridge.)

Never told anyone that but glad to say that I just love it now and being out the Navy it’s just a fun hobby that still gets me excited with my full gear. :)

Glad you sound better now and, if you’re not already, it never hurts to talk to a professional about crappy times.

I love my life currently but I’m looking for someone just to talk about my past and stuff. Hopefully I can get a big wad of feelings unclogged from my brain and communicate with people I care about better afterwards. Worth a shot!

Also I be riding and it’s awesome yeehaw!