Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
That lil nugget from the one juror was interesting, but I want to hear from the jury now that they can know their struggling for hours to come to a compromise on punitive damages meant nothing because it would never have gone beyond the cap.

So hosed up to make them go through that process in good faith thinking they need to find the proper amount, when it doesn't even go anywhere. Ofc it's so people can think the justice system still works, when you go through all the motions and it's quietly capped after you leave.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The fact that the jury are forbidden by statute knowing what is clearly vital information is incredibly telling and completely outrageous.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

The fact that the jury are forbidden by statute knowing what is clearly vital information is incredibly telling and completely outrageous.

Works really well, though.

Jury decides on high damages, 95% of the people think justice was served, newpspaers her headlines with big numbers, 'reform' advocates sell outrage to rubes ("That told lady got burned in mcDonalds and got a BAJILLION dollars!"), actual business rear end in a top hat get a small hit in reality and the free publicity more than makes up for it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Pattis' attorney in CT has filed a Motion to Dismiss the Show Cause Order saying that the judge doesn't have jurisdiction due to the bankruptcy.

The show cause hearings were scheduled for wednesday 10:00 for Reynal and 10:30 for Pattis. The judge issued a new order saying that she'll hear the MTD at 10:30 and issue her ruling orally on the record with written decision to be issued later. She then told them to have their witnesses for the show cause hearing which will follow immediately after she rules on the MTD.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pattis' attorney in CT has filed a Motion to Dismiss the Show Cause Order saying that the judge doesn't have jurisdiction due to the bankruptcy.

The show cause hearings were scheduled for wednesday 10:00 for Reynal and 10:30 for Pattis. The judge issued a new order saying that she'll hear the MTD at 10:30 and issue her ruling orally on the record with written decision to be issued later. She then told them to have their witnesses for the show cause hearing which will follow immediately after she rules on the MTD.

My impression of this sounds like “judge is pissed and required to respond to the motion so she’s banging this out as quickly and harshly as possible”, but I know just enough about the law to get dumb opinions and be wrong and also dumb-wrong.

How close am I?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Xiahou Dun posted:

My impression of this sounds like “judge is pissed and required to respond to the motion so she’s banging this out as quickly and harshly as possible”, but I know just enough about the law to get dumb opinions and be wrong and also dumb-wrong.

How close am I?

Spot on (also you could tell she was extremely pissed already in the hearing last week)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Piell posted:

Spot on (also you could tell she was extremely pissed already in the hearing last week)

I’ve been following these cases for a while lol. “Judge is seething” has been the background state.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Xiahou Dun posted:

How close am I?

Yup. That was as clear a message to Pattis' lawyer that she's giving him his hearing on the record for him motion as she is required to do, but that she is going to deny it immediately after his presentation and then continue with sanctioning Pattis.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yup. That was as clear a message to Pattis' lawyer that she's giving him his hearing on the record for him motion as she is required to do, but that she is going to deny it immediately after his presentation and then continue with sanctioning Pattis.

So does this one also have a listening line? I'm p sure it does but I don't remember the district name and am appealing to the mercy of the thread for a link

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
"I motion for a bad court thingy!"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

KitConstantine posted:

So does this one also have a listening line? I'm p sure it does but I don't remember the district name and am appealing to the mercy of the thread for a link

Waterbury uses the same live YouTube stream, typically. It cut out briefly during the last hearing at the request of the defense lawyers, but came back up pretty quickly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad7Q7V5Aw7Y

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KitConstantine posted:

It'll be listed here on Wednesday: https://jud.ct.gov/PublicAccess/CourtList.aspx?d=Waterbury

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

bird food bathtub posted:

"I motion for a bad court thingy!"

“This verdict is written on a cocktail napkin. And it *still* says guilty. And guilty is spelled wrong.”

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Subjunctive posted:

You don’t file your “worth” with your taxes. You’re taxed on net-of-whatever income, not assets held. He can absolutely say “I had a bunch of income but don’t have any of it left because of expenses”, since I believe that we’re talking about corporate assets for the most part.

E: he is clearly trying to do shady poo poo with his assets, as evidenced by the various not-arm’s-length transactions that he’s trying to treat otherwise. I don’t think it’s really valuable to just make up “well he must be…” flights of fancy about him committing tax evasion, trespassing, or violations of the Mann Act. The reality is messy enough, and hard enough to follow, without additional fabrication.

My thinking on the IRS thing is that there's going to be some sort of tax evasionish issue for Jones, just as a result of his antics. Even if he's not purposely committing some sort of tax evasion, he and/or his people hosed something up during all that transferring assets, creating shell companies, and other financial fuckery. Honest and diligent people make mistakes all the time, so imagine the kind of clusterfuck Jones's situation is

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Powerful Katrinka posted:

My thinking on the IRS thing is that there's going to be some sort of tax evasionish issue for Jones, just as a result of his antics. Even if he's not purposely committing some sort of tax evasion, he and/or his people hosed something up during all that transferring assets, creating shell companies, and other financial fuckery. Honest and diligent people make mistakes all the time, so imagine the kind of clusterfuck Jones's situation is

Do you think he’s even bothering to file taxes for all this bullshit? The IRS got Capone.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

E: Well this isn’t the thread I thought it was.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pseudanonymous posted:

Do you think he’s even bothering to file taxes for all this bullshit? The IRS got Capone.

I'm sure he's forging them out so he gets money back every year

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

pseudanonymous posted:

That's exactly my point. I literally posted that the IRS got Capone

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I mean, in the end it was the IRS that jailed Al Capone.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

We may never know for sure who got Capone, the important thing is that he got got

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I heard the IRS got Capone

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Figure four leg lock gets em every time

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I missed this because I wasn't tracking a connecticut federal bankruptcy action, but the CT plaintiffs got their remand from bankruptcy court.

I have not finished reading through this, but it looks like things are about to start moving in CT besides the disciplinary hearings tomorrow.

https://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=23357462

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I'm sorry is this the thread where we find out who got Capone? Asking for a friend

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Anyone who wants to read - if you skip to the "Discussion" section you get the real meat of the order. Potential shade from the Judge on page 5/6/7 including in the footnote.

Everything after page 8 appears to just be a duplication of pages 2-8.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't award costs though, the knife could have been twisted harder.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I missed this because I wasn't tracking a connecticut federal bankruptcy action, but the CT plaintiffs got their remand from bankruptcy court.

I have not finished reading through this, but it looks like things are about to start moving in CT besides the disciplinary hearings tomorrow.

https://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=23357462

Thanks for the update! Love reading documents

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
AJ added to it so it's 187k IRS agents. That's roughly twelve divsions which is double the initial force invading Normandy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How many people are employed by the IRS?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KitConstantine posted:

Anyone who wants to read - if you skip to the "Discussion" section you get the real meat of the order. Potential shade from the Judge on page 5/6/7 including in the footnote.

Everything after page 8 appears to just be a duplication of pages 2-8.

The duplicates are there because there are three consolidated cases in CT so that required three different remand orders - one for each case.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

The duplicates are there because there are three consolidated cases in CT so that required three different remand orders - one for each case.

I figured, just warning people so they don't go looking in the later pages for anything new

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

That’s got they got Snipes.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is there something going on today? Did the CT case start?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SalTheBard posted:

Is there something going on today? Did the CT case start?

Nothing is happening today. The case was just formally remanded back to the CT court today from bankruptcy court. There will be show cause hearings tomorrow against attorneys Reynal and Pattis for leaking confidential information. Jury selection resumes on the 18th in CT case.

Pattis just now filed a motion to disqualify the judge from his show cause hearing tomorrow.

https://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=23358319

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Ahh ok! I saw like 200 new posts or something and was worried I missed something!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, just a lot of shitpost.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nothing is happening today. The case was just formally remanded back to the CT court today from bankruptcy court. There will be show cause hearings tomorrow against attorneys Reynal and Pattis for leaking confidential information. Jury selection resumes on the 18th in CT case.

Pattis just now filed a motion to disqualify the judge from his show cause hearing tomorrow.

https://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=23358319

single response from the judge filed 5 minutes later

Eat poo poo directly from my rear end in a top hat you gently caress because I will see you tomorrow where I rip your head off

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

By the way speaking of sanctions have we gotten any news on sanctions for Reynald?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LionYeti posted:

By the way speaking of sanctions have we gotten any news on sanctions for Reynald?

Tomorrow morning at 10am is the show cause hearing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

LionYeti posted:

He's got a show cause hearing tomorrow as well in CT. Nothing new in the Texas case so far, as far as I know.

Reynal is at 10, the slap down for Pattis's poo poo is at 10:30, and immediately after that is Pattis's hearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The last thing on the TX docket was the judge's order denying Reynal's motion to enforce protective order to cover his rear end from his fuckup. She just sharpied over his language, wrote denied, and signed it.