Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

blue squares posted:

Is it enjoyable to participate in the beta or is it more of a pain?

YMMV. Some people never have any issues with apps, especially mission critical apps, so it's fine. Others have issues so you gotta wipe and install the current OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EL BROMANCE posted:

Public 3 came out last week and I’ve had more issues with apps than P1 or 2.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just did a refresh in case dude I quoted actually saw a pb4 I hadn’t seen yet… and he had. Sorry for doubting you man! I’m guessing widespread issues then because I’ve never seen a public get updated so quick.
Haha, no worries! I'm sorry it hasn't been performing well for you :( Hopefully PB4 works out better for you.

I must be an edge case because I haven't had any real issues with apps since PB1 :shobon: Maybe it's just the specific apps I've been using, idk

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

blue squares posted:

This really depends on a lot, like how buggy the betas are in a given year, what apps you use that might break and not get updated until retail release, and your personal tolerance of rough edges.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

This is going to vary by use case, but how quickly does your phone typically reach 80% battery health (when you receive a warning)? My brother's 2020SE just hit that point just short of 2 years of getting his.

My 13 Pro is 11 months old now and I'm still at 100% health.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

blue squares posted:

The last few have been perfectly stable for me. My credit union app crashes, but that’s about it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My 12 is on 86% and It's about 18-20 months old.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

My 12 is on 94% with fairly heavy usage and I got it last July

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My XR is on 95% and is about three years old. The only battery janitoring i do is putting it in charge once i come home and leaving it there rather than emptying the battery.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
PB3 has been pretty stable for me, not as many visual bugs as the previous couple. Only issue I still have is my bank app not working - I’m hoping they’ll update it once the official release is out because I'm sick of having to identify myself with old-style codes.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My 12 Pro bought shortly after launch is at 85% but I use it as a wifi hotspot for a good couple hours a day so it probably spends more time on a charger than most people.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SlowBloke posted:

My XR is on 95% and is about three years old. The only battery janitoring i do is putting it in charge once i come home and leaving it there rather than emptying the battery.

drat, same model and rough age and I’m down to 84%. Gets used a lot and lives in a wireless cradle most of the day/during sleep and often on cable charge when just hanging around the house.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My launch 12 is at 85% and that's pretty noticeable / need to charge it to make it to sleep. I wake up around 4:30a and go to sleep around 11:00p.

Pretty normal use imo though, maybe a little heavy on Tik Tok at night.

Also 100% getting the 14 because I'm excited to see what notchless life is like (even though I'm a notch defender).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife has an iPhone 8, and we have an app from our auto insurance company that tracks our driving to provide a discount. The app requires the location permission to be "always". The problem is that iOS periodically resets the app's location permission to "while using the app". We don't know this has happened until we get an email from the insurance company saying her phone hasn't reported any data in two weeks. How can we prevent this from happening?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

The Dave posted:

My launch 12 is at 85% and that's pretty noticeable / need to charge it to make it to sleep. I wake up around 4:30a and go to sleep around 11:00p.

Pretty normal use imo though, maybe a little heavy on Tik Tok at night.

Also 100% getting the 14 because I'm excited to see what notchless life is like (even though I'm a notch defender).

Bro that's five and a half hours of sleep. Are you ok?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm not interested in the back half of aging (though there's a good chance I fall asleep on the couch somewhere in that last hour of the day then trudge upstairs).

Next you'll tell me the hundred of milligrams of caffeine by 9 is bad too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hooah posted:

My wife has an iPhone 8, and we have an app from our auto insurance company that tracks our driving to provide a discount. The app requires the location permission to be "always". The problem is that iOS periodically resets the app's location permission to "while using the app". We don't know this has happened until we get an email from the insurance company saying her phone hasn't reported any data in two weeks. How can we prevent this from happening?
I've been *asked* if I was sure I wanted location services on Always, but never had it change without asking. Are you sure your wife isn't just hitting to change to while using when prompted?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Endless Mike posted:

I've been *asked* if I was sure I wanted location services on Always, but never had it change without asking. Are you sure your wife isn't just hitting to change to while using when prompted?

No, that's definitely something she might do. When would that prompt appear? We don't need to open the app unless we want to check previous drives or something, so it's unlikely that she's getting a prompt about the app's permissions due to opening it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The Dave posted:

I'm not interested in the back half of aging (though there's a good chance I fall asleep on the couch somewhere in that last hour of the day then trudge upstairs).

Next you'll tell me the hundred of milligrams of caffeine by 9 is bad too.

100mg of caffeine isn’t that much. A shot of espresso has like 70mg; as does a teaspoon of instant coffee. If you drink drip coffee or plunger your caffeine intake per cup is going to be a fair bit more than that and cold drip is much more. Those little 250ml bottles of artisanal cold drip with milk they sell in the grocery store are like 230mg, it’s actually pretty scary, they’re worse than energy drinks. Your average cup of tea made with a teabag can go over 100mg if you leave the bag in on the longer side

they used to sell 500ml bottles of icebreak at my high school - these are full cream milk, sugar and coffee basically - crap by modern standards now that unsweetened or minimally sweetened cold drip is everywhere, but back then they were the best - each one of those has about 140mg of caffeine and 50g of sugar. And I was drinking 4 a day by the age of 13.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

hooah posted:

No, that's definitely something she might do. When would that prompt appear? We don't need to open the app unless we want to check previous drives or something, so it's unlikely that she's getting a prompt about the app's permissions due to opening it.

I know Android will start removing permissions from apps if they are never opened for a while (though it'll ping you with a notification that it's done so so you can revert if needed). Does iOS do something similar?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

100mg of caffeine isn’t that much. A shot of espresso has like 70mg; as does a teaspoon of instant coffee. If you drink drip coffee or plunger your caffeine intake per cup is going to be a fair bit more than that and cold drip is much more. Those little 250ml bottles of artisanal cold drip with milk they sell in the grocery store are like 230mg, it’s actually pretty scary, they’re worse than energy drinks. Your average cup of tea made with a teabag can go over 100mg if you leave the bag in on the longer side

they used to sell 500ml bottles of icebreak at my high school - these are full cream milk, sugar and coffee basically - crap by modern standards now that unsweetened or minimally sweetened cold drip is everywhere, but back then they were the best - each one of those has about 140mg of caffeine and 50g of sugar. And I was drinking 4 a day by the age of 13.

Oh yeah that was a typo, supposed to be “hundreds”. I usually have preworkout, then go to the gym at 5, then have an energy drink after and a cup of coffee before work starts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hooah posted:

I don't actually know. I'm pretty it will ask for the State Farm app on my phone now and then even when I'm not driving.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

hooah posted:

My wife has an iPhone 8, and we have an app from our auto insurance company that tracks our driving to provide a discount.

Sounds pretty dystopian.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Great commentary. I doubt anyone else in the thread was thinking that. Hell, I bet the OP cancels his insurance now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for your commentary.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Period tracker apps now

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Period tracker apps now

That’s already built into health.app

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

is it inhumane to strap an old iphone to my cat?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Clark Nova posted:

I think the cat will let you know

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Clark Nova posted:

Stray cosplay?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

They'll use it to talk behind your back.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Period tracker apps now

If you're in the US you may want to think twice about this.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

A neighborhood stray might generate better location data for the insurance company. I will also dutifully log it to the apple cycle tracking app whenever I notice the cat is in heat. The biggest problem is going to be battery life

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

I'm pretty sure it just pops up out of the blue at some time when the app is trying to do location stuff in the background.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

withak posted:

I'm pretty sure it just pops up out of the blue at some time when the app is trying to do location stuff in the background.

I’ve seen most location apps ask again once in a while. My weather app asks about background location about once a month.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

I’ve seen most location apps ask again once in a while. My weather app asks about background location about once a month.

Yeah it seems like it does ask again after an amount of time but it seems kinda random when it does it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is Apple the way to go with battery replacements? I’d prefer as cheap as possible, but obviously I don’t want it to be done shoddily.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Is Apple the way to go with battery replacements? I’d prefer as cheap as possible, but obviously I don’t want it to be done shoddily.

100%

You might save $20 but you get what you pay for.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Absolutely. Don't gently caress around with batteries.

If you are doing the job yourself or know the people really well, and know for a fact they are using an Apple battery (you can buy these from them now) then maybe yeah do it that way. But otherwise, have Apple do it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
What about a battery from somewhere like iFixit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I would probably trust iFixit or uBreakiFix, or any actual licensed Apple dealers selling advertised Apple batteries, but not like a random mall kiosk or something.

Pretty sure Apple directs customers without a nearby Apple store to some of those stores