Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Does anyone have any recommendations for incredibly simple android app games. I'm talking "poke the giant green triangle" simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's a pbs kids thing that has a lot of such games

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Kahn Academy Kids is decent and scales to the age setting you give it. PBS Kids is good too.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Why would anyone name their kid 'Lucifer'?

My wife mentioned last week that there was a kid called Lucifer in our 4yo's pre-kinder class, and I had a sensible chuckle at the time.

But then I went took her today, and he was there and I saw his name written down and the teacher who takes the playgroup said it out loud several times.

Kudos that she kept a straight face.

His younger brother was also there and gods as my witnesses I swear I heard his mother call him 'Hades'.

Our 4yo is named after a space probe, so I try not to be judge-y about people giving kids weird names.

Hades isn't so bad - he's the god of the earth and everything in it - he didn't choose it, he drew for it with his brothers. Its odd, but I could get behind it.

But Lucifer?!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
What's wrong with carrying light?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Elissimpark posted:

My wife mentioned last week that there was a kid called Lucifer in our 4yo's pre-kinder class, and I had a sensible chuckle at the time.

But then I went took her today, and he was there and I saw his name written down and the teacher who takes the playgroup said it out loud several times.

His younger brother was also there and gods as my witnesses I swear I heard his mother call him 'Hades'.

Our 4yo is named after a space probe, so I try not to be judge-y about people giving kids weird names.

Hades isn't so bad - he's the god of the earth and everything in it - he didn't choose it, he drew for it with his brothers. Its odd, but I could get behind it.

But Lucifer?!

I mean, the show premiered in 2016, so yeah 4yo class sounds about right. Better than Daenerys.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Elissimpark posted:

I knew some one who was a CASA in Oregon and that name came up. hope that kid doesn’t have a poo poo home life.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Elissimpark posted:

How is little Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter doing these days anyway?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Lucifer could be a good girls name, imo

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Elissimpark posted:

But Lucifer?!

Hail Satan

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ive been listening to metal in the car with my kid when driving him home from daycare and recently he's been telling me to make it louder and louder. on the one hand i don't want to damage his hearing, but on the other hand gently caress yeah.

well i definitely do keep the volume reasonable, but, i am proud of him.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My little one bobs to Elder and Fu Manchu so shes on the right track

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Ours loves metal but especially this song. First time she heard it she clapped at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swmuqGWgZCc

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
Number blocks
Alpha blocks (if you can find it in the states anymore)
Little bear
Pretty much any of the Lego shows
Sesame Street/ Daniel tiger
Wild kratts

Ages 5 and 7

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

ikanreed posted:

What's wrong with carrying light?

Well, literacy isn't super high in our area (usually generational disadvantage), so my initial thought was that they went with it because "bearer of light" is pretty cool but weren't aware of its historical usage. Again, I can't judge because our youngest's middle name is "Somerled" which is 'summer wanderer' because the little bugger was doing flips all though the last months of gestation. But paired with Hades, kinda makes we wonder:

sonatinas posted:

I knew some one who was a CASA in Oregon and that name came up. hope that kid doesn’t have a poo poo home life.

silvergoose posted:

I mean, the show premiered in 2016, so yeah 4yo class sounds about right. Better than Daenerys.

I know that there's a Khaleesi locally, which sucks, because who knew she'd end up crazy in the finale? There's an Anakin, who is a cute kid and comes in with his Grandma, which could be worse.

Microplastics posted:

How is little Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter doing these days anyway?

Lol, my daughter in 20 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfMy1V7Ma8E&t=6s

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Oh it's time to share the child name horror story that I have, in fact, verified on a government document:

JKMNO.

Pronounced: Noelle

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

fosborb posted:

pink eye last week, ear infection this week. summer camp is going fantastic

gently caress it, e/n

had to euthanize our dog last week, 10 year old has an ear infection this week (taking the pink stuff), moving 1,500 miles away next week

holy poo poo right now

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Oh it's time to share the child name horror story that I have, in fact, verified on a government document:

JKMNO.

Pronounced: Noelle

No, that's too much freedom

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

fosborb posted:

gently caress it, e/n

had to euthanize our dog last week, 10 year old has an ear infection this week (taking the pink stuff), moving 1,500 miles away next week

holy poo poo right now

had to put our 18 year old scottish terrier to rest monday :smith:

good luck with the move and ear infection

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

season 3 of bluey is out. there is a hung over parents episode.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

fosborb posted:

gently caress it, e/n

holy poo poo right now

As a recent first time dog haver, my condolences. Seriously.

The kids got their second dose of vaccine yesterday. They all seemed fine until they woke up with fevers at midnight. We've spent the day just taking it easy. 4 year old has been asleep for almost 2 hours now and the littler one is on nap number 2. I hate this because I feel like it's my fault they feel lovely.

Kitfox88 posted:

had to put our 18 year old scottish terrier to rest monday :smith:

good luck with the move and ear infection

Very sorry to hear this news

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

he must have picked this up from daycare, my son has recently started doing the naruto run everywhere. im somewhat concerned he's gonna run into something but mostly it's just very funny.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lobster shirt posted:

he must have picked this up from daycare, my son has recently started doing the naruto run everywhere. im somewhat concerned he's gonna run into something but mostly it's just very funny.

my niece still does this, she started at like 14 months when she could barely run at all but every time she wanted to go fast, out went the arms

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
After two years keeping my COVID baby at home without babysitter or daycare help, I'm trying to figure out therapy options because he has the speech development of a 10mo. Why do I have to pick between health and socialization for my kids, he hasn't even learned how to wear a mask yet, I hate this country.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PerniciousKnid posted:

After two years keeping my COVID baby at home without babysitter or daycare help, I'm trying to figure out therapy options because he has the speech development of a 10mo. Why do I have to pick between health and socialization for my kids, he hasn't even learned how to wear a mask yet, I hate this country.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Kids go at different paces and sometimes need help. Good on you for recognizing a deficiency exists and working towards remedying it.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah, don’t beat yourself up. It’s a horrible time to have a young kid, but at least early intervention is generally quite effective.

have you looked at something like covidmeetups or the various still coviding parents Facebook groups for cautious socialization options?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

We bit the bullet and started our then 11 month old in daycare back in June. The Danish government is discontinuing vaccines for kids, the European Medicines Agency still hasn't updated Spikevax's status from "Start of evaluation of application to extend use in children aged 6 months to 5 years" back in May. gently caress this hellworld. I'm still masking at work, but we're gonna get hit any day now.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Struensee posted:

The Danish government is discontinuing vaccines for kids,

what the hell

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Insanite posted:

Yeah, don’t beat yourself up. It’s a horrible time to have a young kid, but at least early intervention is generally quite effective.

have you looked at something like covidmeetups or the various still coviding parents Facebook groups for cautious socialization options?

We've done some masked socializing with my older kids, but my wife wouldn't even entertain the possibility of masked playdates with family before vaccination, and I'm not sure how she'll feel after vaccination.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Anyone ever had to deal with a milk allergy in a newborn?

Our girl was born premature in the NICU almost three weeks ago and is still only about four pounds because we've had to keep pausing feedings because she presented with NEC early and even after that cleared has had intermittent bloody poops. We're on the hypoallergenic formula now which seems to be the way to go. Wife has had lots of trouble getting any kind of quantity pumping and breastfeeding and I think the no dairy thing might finally tip us over into giving up and just going with formula.

Just curious what the longer-term horizon looks like there if anyone's done it.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

brugroffil posted:

what the hell

yeeeep

Feels great to have completely naïve kids at 14 mos and almost 4 years just risking it day after day.

"Vaccination of children and young people under the age of 18
Children and young people only very rarely become seriously ill from covid-19 with the omicron variant. Therefore, from 1 July 2022 it will no longer be possible for children and young people under the age of 18 to get the 1st jab, and from 1 September 2022 it will no longer be possible to get the 2nd jab.
[Very] few children with a particularly increased risk of [...] serious [illness] will still have the option of vaccination, after an individual assessment by a doctor."

https://www-sst-dk.translate.goog/da/corona/Vaccination?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Struensee posted:

yeeeep

Feels great to have completely naïve kids at 14 mos and almost 4 years just risking it day after day.

"Vaccination of children and young people under the age of 18
Children and young people only very rarely become seriously ill from covid-19 with the omicron variant. Therefore, from 1 July 2022 it will no longer be possible for children and young people under the age of 18 to get the 1st jab, and from 1 September 2022 it will no longer be possible to get the 2nd jab.
[Very] few children with a particularly increased risk of [...] serious [illness] will still have the option of vaccination, after an individual assessment by a doctor."

https://www-sst-dk.translate.goog/da/corona/Vaccination?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en

vaccine tourism. :hai:

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Insanite posted:

vaccine tourism. :hai:

Yep, just waiting on the EMA. Any day now...

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

took my kid to get his second covid shot yesterday. he really did not like getting a shot! but thankfully both times he had zero reaction to it, didn't seem to make him feel bad at all. wish that had been the case with me lol

The Silent Scourge
Aug 24, 2006
I Have Asthma

Chad Sexington posted:

Our girl was born premature in the NICU almost three weeks ago and is still only about four pounds because we've had to keep pausing feedings because she presented with NEC early and even after that cleared has had intermittent bloody poops. We're on the hypoallergenic formula now which seems to be the way to go. Wife has had lots of trouble getting any kind of quantity pumping and breastfeeding and I think the no dairy thing might finally tip us over into giving up and just going with formula.

Our kiddo had a cows milk allergy and she grew out of it by about 11 months. For us we were lucky enough to be able to pump enough that we didn’t have to hunt down the hypoallergenic formula, but my wife had the same experience of learning how much milk is in everything trying to avoid it.

We started with the same intermittent bloody poops and ended up with a GI consult after they didn’t seem to stop even after clearing milk. It took us about a month of no dairy before it fully cleared and still would come back if something slipped by. It sucked and was stressful, that’s the bad part.

The good part is the GI was fantastic and made sure to explain that there is no long term damage or anything with the bloody poop and kind of gave us a roadmap of how to introduce milk as she grew. Basically my wife would eat a little of a food with cooked dairy, see how the baby reacted, then move on to cheeses and finally full milk. We had a couple of false starts at like 9 and 10 months where she was still getting the bloody poops, but when that happened we just stopped dairy and waited another month.

Now she is 15 months and has whole milk in her oatmeal in the morning, loves cheese, and usually eats some yogurt at snack time and has no issues whatsoever. Not every kid does grow out of it, but the majority do.

The last thing I’ll say our GI hammered us on is making sure to introduce other allergens too once you start solids like peanuts, egg, fish, etc even though she had the milk allergy because a lot of people get scared about other allergies because of the milk thing.

Bottom line is it gets better, just takes time.

Korenwolf
Mar 14, 2007

Nap Ghost

Chad Sexington posted:

My oldest had dairy and soy allergies that went away and my wife breast fed through it. we currently are going through it again with our youngest who is 7 months now.

Basically my wife cut dairy and soy from her diet both times and we supplemented with formula as well. At 9 months we went through a dairy ladder where you slowly ramp up the level of unprocessed milk you expose them to to see if they can deal with it.

the cutting milk is hard but cutting soy is brutal cause it is in everything. So lots of peanut butter and dairy free chocolate and home cooked meals.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

my 6 year old is still allergic to dairy and it’s really difficult I feel for her as any birthday party or gathering it’s cake, pizza whatever, we have gotten really good at bringing our own item with her but still sucks

also, kid got ringworm from a day camp, just got it dealt with and now has got pink eye from another day camp and both times we have had to pull her and give cream/eye drops and of course she’s extremely upset…it never ends friends

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

tonight my kid like refused to eat dinner and swore up and down that he wasnt hungry, but then couldn't stop screaming all through bathtime, very upset and fussy, and after we put him in his jammies and got him into bed, he started demanding food. toddlers are so annoying lol. love him though, hes great.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
So darker story from most of the rest of the thread that we’re going through right now…

We moved to a new state this week and our 10
month old started a new daycare. She only attended the school for 1 day before we withdrew her because she came home with marks on her torso that were clearly from someone’s hand. I have pictures of her from before going to school without the marks, and clear pictures of red marks from after school. Attempting to do the right thing, we reported the school to the state.

And it’s been a complete shitstorm ever since. The school of course denies it was them. DHS and CPS got involved and their investigators determined it was most likely the school but didn’t have video footage to confirm.

Of course those shining champions of justice, the local police, are certain it was us based on their expertise in wounds and bruising… and misstating all the evidence of course. Their report reads like a bizarre game of telephone of the facts and report. Somehow they see completely different injuries and colors of injuries in the pictures than anyone else. Their timeline of the day doesn’t match any video or photograph evidence. Oh, and their “investigation” was complete in less than a day.

Their report literally reads like they said, “oh a report of child abuse? it’s the parents. case closed. make the evidence fit.” Which is probably pretty accurate to what happened.

So they referred it back to DHS/CPS saying it was us. I’ve been in a hospital to get my daughter examined by a “child abuse expert” because that’s apparently a thing (it isn’t, the expert was whatever doctor was available at the specific hospital). I have to deal with numerous government agencies and now have to tell the cops to regularly gently caress off.

The only bright spot of the whole encounter was laughing at how terrible the police report was with the DHS caseworker assigned to our case.

No clue what the gently caress is happening next but I know I’ll probably personally never report anything child related again unless I have ironclad proof. And of course, gently caress the police. Instead of just being incompetent, they were actively harmful and made an awful situation for my family truly traumatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
ACAB and I'm so loving sorry. How is the kiddo holding up? :(