Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That’s awesome and the best part of those things is you ask him how he fixed it in ten minutes so you never have to depend on him again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Went on an absolutely last-minute-notice thrift store trip with a friend and got the gym shorts i needed to get and also 4 vintage cookbooks
and then veggie dogs were on sale at the grocery store so i picked up a pack and i had one for lunch and it was so nostalgic i haven't had a hot dog in ages

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

Went on an absolutely last-minute-notice thrift store trip with a friend and got the gym shorts i needed to get and also 4 vintage cookbooks
and then veggie dogs were on sale at the grocery store so i picked up a pack and i had one for lunch and it was so nostalgic i haven't had a hot dog in ages

I was very excited the other day to see that Kroger has a store brand veggie dog under their Simple Truth label, that from the ingredient list looks to basically be the same as Lightlife's Smart Dogs, while being slightly cheaper. I am crossing my fingers they hit the same cheapo hot dog note as the Smart Dogs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've been with them for about a month and a half now, and I genuinely really really like my new job and company. As someone who used to be on site with dozens of different clients, the environment and team here is like some magical mythical place - everyone clearly wants to be there and is busy but not burnt out. ...It kind of makes me realize in retrospect that most of the clients I've worked with over the last fifteen years or so were just dysfunctional enough to hire my company anyway, which gave me a weird bias I didn't realize I had.

Also, I've been really stagnating in roller derby for a few months, but practice yesterday was really fantastic and I feel like I improved on a lot of the stuff that was holding me back.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

A little belated, but I just got back from the last trail maintenance trip of this season to the Grayson Highlands in VA.

Hundreds of acres of wild blackberries and blueberries up there as well as wild horses. They were also some farmers running long horn cattle.

-Zydeco- has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Aug 16, 2022

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

-Zydeco- posted:

A little belated, but I just got back from the last trail maintenance trip of this season to the Grayson Highlands in VA.

-snip more awesome pics-

Love everything about this!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That looks beautiful. :allears:

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

That looks beautiful. :allears:

If you are within driving distance I highly recommend it. 3 miles hike in, but very little elevation gain from the parking lot so it's nice and easy. Amazing views in all directions once you get up to the AT. Nice and cool even when it's boiling down below. Just need a rain coat and a good sun hat.

E: oh, and there some nice new stone steps and pavers made from stone pulled out of the mountain put in over a muddy section for you to walk on.

-Zydeco- has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Aug 16, 2022

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I still follow Cracked now and then, even with the quality having gone extremely downhill. Managed to catch the promotion they're running to snag a Sam's Club membership and a $10 gift card for only $15. So nice.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
In a little over a week I'm off to the inaugural Silver ScreamCon and I'm stoked! Plus I got my filing cabinet at work that I've been supposed to have for months. I can finally lock my stuff up so no one can mess with it!

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Got out for a nice bike ride in the mountains today. And I’m just in a better mood than I’ve been in in awhile.

Biohazard has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Aug 20, 2022

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Oops double post

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
Today I submitted an offer on a condo in Rogers Park, Chicago that I expect will be accepted. :) By the end of the year no more rural AZ for me!

(I may die this winter, having never suffered worse than 0* F, but at least I won't die in AZ.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My pharmacy is having a weirdly hard time getting some anti-inflammatory eyedrops in, but it turns out my cat was prescribed the exact same medication last month (down to the concentration)

So I'm literally taking :catdrugs:

E: his condition cleared up because of, or at least concurrent with, a change in food, so I'm not gonna be depriving him or anything

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are you going to need to switch kibble too?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My doc wants me to lose some weight so yeah kind of!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I saw Sir Mix-A-Lot last night. There was a tiny old lady, like had to be in her 80s, right at the very front of the stage, as close as you can get. Great show. Definitely the largest gathering of old, white people I've seen at a rap show.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I have been one of the few left behind after a lot of people quitting their jobs.

I also know that it's bullshit to take on other people's work and us having to act our wage and whatnot. But I was able to coordinate accordingly in figuring out metrics from most important to 'well we can get away with ignoring this'.

This is also with having a new director in part with the board of directors and two new bosses!

And I am training them!

Its awesome I am doing it but drat am I not proud of it!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I found a cute shirt for my dog at work, for only $3.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

This morning I got my depressed rear end out of bed early enough to have French toast on homemade bread with blueberry compote at a cafe I went to all the time before the pandemic. No photos because I fell upon those slices like I was starving. Today seems a little bit more doable now.

Wish their coffee wasn't terrible but the toasty goodness makes up for it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my stepdad passed away last year, and we recovered a bunch of stuff from his house over the course of december, digging through piles and piles of...hoarder stuff and refuse. lots of interesting things, and a few things he specifically told mom to look for if he passed suddenly, such as this shoebox that was full of coins and other valuables:

there's nearly a hundred silver coins in there, mostly Morgan Dollars, which I've been sending out to get graded so I can sell them. but one unassuming little black and white box in the corner of the shoebox had a tiny block of metal in it:

a seven ounce Engelhard silver ingot. It got immediately noticed in the coin collecting thread, and I did a bit of research and got a few offers for ~$500 for it(compared to the $150ish it's worth in just silver value), but put it to the side to deal with more pressing issues at the time. Recently started organizing things to sell again, and did some more investigating.

I got a reply to an email I sent to All Engelhard, an Engelhard Silver-specific fansite, letting me know that the ingot is both unbelievably rare(less than 50 produced and many most likely subsequently destroyed, with only 11 others besides mine known to exist) and that it's worth at least five times the offers I had been getting for it before. today is a good day.

getting the coins graded and sold so far has put us about $10,000 towards paying for the 80 grand in siding and house repairs we need to have done, once I get all these morgan dollars graded and this ingot sold, if I'm REALLY lucky, I might have enough to pay off the majority of the remaining $30k from the loan. if I can get the siding loan paid off by the end of next year, I will be over the god drat moon let me tell you

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I woke up today and could see almost perfectly.

I had fs-lasik yesterday, and other than some haloing around lights, and one eye maybe needing a bit more correction, I can basically see as well as I otherwise would with glasses. So :toot:
Also with the prices of contact lenses and glasses, I'll be saving in the cost of the operation in like 4 or so years. Possibly even earlier considering how my lenses have kept getting more expensive this last year.

Also the whole thing went so well I didn't even need painkillers afterwards.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

started off the day with a nice walk. spent the last hour and change with a group of my neighbors doing the most important thing a community can do

helping an old Mexican lady deal with her busted rear end car.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Had a nice walk to meet with a minister who is building a network for community support: local businesses chipping in a dress/hair/dinner for prom for a teen girl in a shelter, or grocery/meal vouchers, whatever’s needed. She’s now working on this full-time and is expanding it to other communities; they’ve put $300K of direct aid through this makeshift system over the last few years and made a big difference for people.

I’m going to be working with her to get a software system rebuilt so she can scale the program out to 25 communities in the next 5 years. (I think we can do more if the software helps enough.) It feels really good to be able to use my computer-touching and people-herding skills for a really good cause. Going to get a plan together and rally local nerds to help build it out.

There’s an opportunity for her to get some big help (national grocery chains, for example) but she can’t manage a much bigger program with her current tools. Could be a really wonderful thing.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I ran into my optometrist this afternoon at my work. through conversation I mentioned that the lenses of my glasses were getting scratched up and I was going to bug him for some new ones soon. we parted ways but then he came back from his office to tell me I was still within my 2 year warranty period (by seven days) so he ordered new ones for me

so :woop: I get to save money

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Rainbow Knight posted:

I ran into my optometrist this afternoon at my work. through conversation I mentioned that the lenses of my glasses were getting scratched up and I was going to bug him for some new ones soon. we parted ways but then he came back from his office to tell me I was still within my 2 year warranty period (by seven days) so he ordered new ones for me

so :woop: I get to save money

Really nice of them to drop that on you rather than wait a week and slug you for new ones.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rainbow Knight posted:

I ran into my optometrist this afternoon at my work

Wow sounds like you need some glasses

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Inceltown posted:

Really nice of them to drop that on you rather than wait a week and slug you for new ones.

exactly! it's a Halloween miracle imo

oldpainless posted:

Wow sounds like you need some glasses

god drat it

e: wait wait pretend I said, "it was blind luck"

Rainbow Knight has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Oct 13, 2022

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Didn't see that one coming.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's finally happening. I bought my mom's house from her, and after 30 years of slow, progressive dilapidation, we've signed on for a housing loan and it's getting a total external repair and re-siding. It's been run down for a while because mom had her identity stolen in the early oughts and lost everything except the house, and was saddled with so much in medical expenses over time that she could never recover enough to keep the house maintained. But now it's all getting done. The old, crappy siding is getting torn off the house as we speak, new blown-in insulation has already been put in, and the siding should be going up in the next day or two. The heating bills will hopefully be something under $700 a month in the winter now, the wind will hopefully no longer be felt straight through the interior walls, and the house will no longer look like a patchwork mess of multiple different types of siding fixes from damage over the years.

It's been a long time coming. The house is ancient, over a hundred years old, and I love it, it's the most unique one in the entire neighborhood. But it's needed this for a long, long time. It would not surprise me if this work doubled the value of the property, though I never intend to sell this house.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

It's finally happening. I bought my mom's house from her, and after 30 years of slow, progressive dilapidation, we've signed on for a housing loan and it's getting a total external repair and re-siding. It's been run down for a while because mom had her identity stolen in the early oughts and lost everything except the house, and was saddled with so much in medical expenses over time that she could never recover enough to keep the house maintained. But now it's all getting done. The old, crappy siding is getting torn off the house as we speak, new blown-in insulation has already been put in, and the siding should be going up in the next day or two. The heating bills will hopefully be something under $700 a month in the winter now, the wind will hopefully no longer be felt straight through the interior walls, and the house will no longer look like a patchwork mess of multiple different types of siding fixes from damage over the years.

It's been a long time coming. The house is ancient, over a hundred years old, and I love it, it's the most unique one in the entire neighborhood. But it's needed this for a long, long time. It would not surprise me if this work doubled the value of the property, though I never intend to sell this house.

Oh man this is awesome, you deserve some good luck!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rainbow Knight posted:

exactly! it's a Halloween miracle imo

god drat it

e: wait wait pretend I said, "it was blind luck"

20/20 hindsight huh

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hit a 666 day streak in Duolingo on Halloween :devil:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This evening we got the letter that Kazakhstan officially recognizes my marriage to a citizen of Kazakhstan. That means I get to apply for kazakhstani citizenship in a few years which is neat but not exactly beneficial. More importantly than that by far, it means our little twins are legally, officially, paperwork done, lil baby passports printed, citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Which still doesn't mean much to most people I guess but to us it means everything.

Like by contrast they're explicitly denied their mother's russian citizenship because they were born outside of Russia to only one russian. Kazakhstan embraces us and Russia flat out sent a letter saying "gently caress off race mixers" and hoo boy sometimes it's nice to just see a nice letter that thinks your kids are cool.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Nov 6, 2022

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This evening we got the letter that Kazakhstan officially recognizes my marriage to a citizen of Kazakhstan. That means I get to apply for kazakhstani citizenship in a few years which is neat but not exactly beneficial. More importantly than that by far, it means our little twins are legally, officially, paperwork done, lil baby passports printed, citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Which still doesn't mean much to most people I guess but to us it means everything.

Like by contrast they're explicitly denied their mother's russian citizenship because they were born outside of Russia to only one russian. Kazakhstan embraces us and Russia flat out sent a letter saying "gently caress off race mixers" and hoo boy sometimes it's nice to just see a nice letter that thinks your kids are cool.

This is all well and good but it really looks like you've tried very hard to avoid saying "my wife" here which is just not on.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Inceltown posted:

This is all well and good but it really looks like you've tried very hard to avoid saying "my wife" here which is just not on.

She (my extremely hot female lady russian and/or kazakh wife) kicks rear end but in this case I'm actually just overjoyed at the little ones getting their paperwork in order, like it's a big stress relief

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

With the way things are shaking out at the moment not having Russian citizenship is probably for the best. They're not really winning hearts and minds in a lot of the world right now.

Wopzilla
Mar 6, 2005
indecisive bastard
Paid off the house 20 years early. Had a bitch of a time getting the mortgage to begin with since I had no credit because I worked and saved my money. Took two years to get the approval and after a decade, I'm done paying interest to an institution that considered me not worthwhile.

gently caress banks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Congrats, that’s huge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sitting on the couch with my puppy curled up next to me watching the lunar eclipse out the window. Life has its moments.