Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Samovar posted:

I remember being quite amused at Tiny Brontosaurus in that thread, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they were somehow linked to KM. That's not an accusation on my part, if I'm wrong I'll happily take the L. It's just something in the back of my brain is jumping up and down about.

The only link I know of is that KM was very mad when TB was permaed, and called everyone involved racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Peachfart posted:

The only link I know of is that KM was very mad when TB was permaed, and called everyone involved racist.

That was probably it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

The original Bath for Females

Complete bathroom overhaul - a sad, builder-grade sack of tears

At which point literally everyone in the thread realizes the OP has severely compromised their house's frame.

:females:

doombathroom.wad

How can you post that without the follow-up where he actually completed the bathroom?

https://twitter.com/Fedule/status/1100800612743172098

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3819901&perpage=40&pagenumber=168#post492921243

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TB was 95% likely a Slashie alt, for all her faults Koalas March didn't go completely nuclear on people and tell them to kill themselves over the slightest disagreement

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Samovar posted:

I remember being quite amused at Tiny Brontosaurus in that thread, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they were somehow linked to KM. That's not an accusation on my part, if I'm wrong I'll happily take the L. It's just something in the back of my brain is jumping up and down about.

They knew each other irl I think

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

No Dignity posted:

TB was 95% likely a Slashie alt, for all her faults Koalas March didn't go completely nuclear on people and tell them to kill themselves over the slightest disagreement

She was.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

So HDR takes loads of photos with different settings in quick succession and adds together all the most colourful bits and that's why all these photos are a soupy mess, is that... broadly correct?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's a trip reading this thread...had to google what "vtubers" were...it makes me realize that while I've mostly just posted in like, 20-30 or so bookmarked threads over the years (basically never stepping into Games and tons of other forums here), there were just weird people constantly posting about the cartoons they wanted to gently caress n poo poo.
I guess that's not that much of an internet revelation though.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 16, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i can't think of a forum where people don't post about the cartoons they want to gently caress

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i can't think of a forum where people don't post about the cartoons they want to gently caress

My understanding is in YOSPOS, they want to gently caress computers.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
That bathroom looks like a stress headache feels

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
bathroom designed by the cia to cause the maximum amount of psychic damage

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

So HDR takes loads of photos with different settings in quick succession and adds together all the most colourful bits and that's why all these photos are a soupy mess, is that... broadly correct?

Kind of.

An ordinary photograph represents brightness consistently across the image. If pixels in one area have value two hundred and pixels in another area have value fifty, the ones in the two hundred region definitely had more light. It may not be a linear relationship, they may not have received four times as much light, but a strict hierarchy exists.

“HDR”, or at least the infamous form of it, perverts this. Locally there is still something of a hierarchy in brightnesss, but more widely across the image, the relationship no longer holds. For example, there are stones in the shower that in all likelihood sent less light to the camera than the ceiling over the tub, yet they appear brighter in the image.

If done judiciously, you can do stuff like represent the view outside of the window as something other than pure white, though in reality the trees outside are lit so intensely by the sun that they are far brighter than the whitest white indoors. When done injudiciously, everything looks weird and wrong.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fun hater posted:

They use pictures of that bathroom to give people havana syndrome

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

fun hater posted:

see, for me the thing that drives me crazy is it wouldn't take much subtraction to have a very nice bathroom, the elements all look high end it's just completely ruined by the red and saints row badges and poo poo. if you are going to use rocks (do not use rocks), use the same kind of rocks. etc.

it's so wild someone spent so much to look like that

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

CoolCab posted:

see, for me the thing that drives me crazy is it wouldn't take much subtraction to have a very nice bathroom, the elements all look high end it's just completely ruined by the red and saints row badges and poo poo. if you are going to use rocks (do not use rocks), use the same kind of rocks. etc.

Of course, he subtracted too much from the I-beams…

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I've been to a wedding in the early '10s where all the photos were hdr, including the close up shots of the bride and groom, and when you project them in a restaurant for everyone to see... Not a good look

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Platystemon posted:

Kind of.

An ordinary photograph represents brightness consistently across the image. If pixels in one area have value two hundred and pixels in another area have value fifty, the ones in the two hundred region definitely had more light. It may not be a linear relationship, they may not have received four times as much light, but a strict hierarchy exists.

“HDR”, or at least the infamous form of it, perverts this. Locally there is still something of a hierarchy in brightnesss, but more widely across the image, the relationship no longer holds. For example, there are stones in the shower that in all likelihood sent less light to the camera than the ceiling over the tub, yet they appear brighter in the image.

If done judiciously, you can do stuff like represent the view outside of the window as something other than pure white, though in reality the trees outside are lit so intensely by the sun that they are far brighter than the whitest white indoors. When done injudiciously, everything looks weird and wrong.

I see. I think. Thanks.

Of course this is how the Doom Bathroom was meant to be seen.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

There are so many great elements of the Doom Bathroom, but my favorite may be that the tiling in the shower stall is all hosed up, and when pressed on this the dude said something like "laying tile isn't an exact science"

my dude, they are squares

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
where the gently caress do you even get square shower heads

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CoolCab posted:

where the gently caress do you even get square shower heads

Squarespace

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Antivehicular posted:

There are so many great elements of the Doom Bathroom, but my favorite may be that the tiling in the shower stall is all hosed up, and when pressed on this the dude said something like "laying tile isn't an exact science"

No you see the cutouts were made long before the tile was laid. What did you expect him to do premeasure and cut some tiles down so that it looked good?

I wonder what he did to the kitchen he said he was remodeling

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I can see the z-swimming if I tilt my head.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

CoolCab posted:

I have a buddy that likes to trawl house listings looking for cool property or dream about moving to a 2 mil house or whatever. And while most of what he finds is pretty mundane, he occasionally finds a real gem to share with the group chat.

The stuff he finds is like the old person version of that bathroom. Someone spends tens of thousands of dollars in a house worth millions to produce things like a room that is wall to wall plaid. But not a single plaid pattern, no at least a dozen different patterns thrown about haphazardly but then meticulously presented so that it is clear it could not be an accident. And the fact that there are multiple photos, more than any other room clearly indicated that the seller thought the room of non-euclidean plaid was a selling point.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Did he ever post the god drat toilet?

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Azathoth posted:

I have a buddy that likes to trawl house listings looking for cool property or dream about moving to a 2 mil house or whatever. And while most of what he finds is pretty mundane, he occasionally finds a real gem to share with the group chat.

The stuff he finds is like the old person version of that bathroom. Someone spends tens of thousands of dollars in a house worth millions to produce things like a room that is wall to wall plaid. But not a single plaid pattern, no at least a dozen different patterns thrown about haphazardly but then meticulously presented so that it is clear it could not be an accident. And the fact that there are multiple photos, more than any other room clearly indicated that the seller thought the room of non-euclidean plaid was a selling point.

This sounds like it would make for a pretty fun thread, ever considered posting one and starting it off with a few examples from your chat? PYF Weird Passion Project House or something

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

CountryMatters posted:

This sounds like it would make for a pretty fun thread, ever considered posting one and starting it off with a few examples from your chat? PYF Weird Passion Project House or something

It isn't my passion unfortunately, and I get one maybe every week or two in a fast moving chat and really don't have the time to go back through and try to find enough to kick off a thread. I do agree if someone has a similar passion that it could make a cool thread.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

The interior design chat thread is kind of that, a lot of odd houses get posted. That said, I'm 2000 posts behind so I'm not sure what it looks like at the front of the train:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955939

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I think there was a specific PYF Weird House once but I'm not going ot look for it cos I don't care!!!!!!!!!!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
when i was looking for houses in RI, i learned that houses here are designed like an even more insane winchester was in charge of building them. they all manage to have impossible geometry. i would love to look at other hosed up houses so if someone finds a link let me know

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Antivehicular posted:

I liked how he said the bathroom was designed with the female brain in mind, and then the makeup counter and mirror was terribly implemented. The only light being some awkward hanging lampshade. It was also right in front of the shower so that mirror would be the first thing to fog up if anyone was using it, and if someone was showering you'd get to see their naked rear end through the clear glass shower door the whole time you were doing makeup the mirror anyway.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nuns with Guns posted:

I liked how he said the bathroom was designed with the female brain in mind, and then the makeup counter and mirror was terribly implemented. The only light being some awkward hanging lampshade. It was also right in front of the shower so that mirror would be the first thing to fog up if anyone was using it, and if someone was showering you'd get to see their naked rear end through the clear glass shower door the whole time you were doing makeup the mirror anyway.

I assume he thought someone wanted to see his bare rear end

Further cementing the proof that he knows nothing about women lmao

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, the 70's kind of did a number on peoples sense of style.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nuns with Guns posted:

Before the remodeling the mirror was much larger, much better lit, and had a lot more counter space. The bath did not have rocks around it, and had much better alcove space nearby.

Every “improvement” was the opposite of improvement.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I would have rather had the first bathroom

bEatmstrJ posted:

After a long, drawn out remodel of my bedroom (posted in the projects thread a while back), I knew my bathroom was coming next. I spent some time putting together a rough design in Sketchup and got to work. I still have a few months to go before I finish, but i'll post updates as they come. A lot of things are still being decided as I go and I have a very time consuming full time job that I also have to attend to, but I hope to make some stable progress each week. Fortunately, It's been planned out in such a way that I will still be able to fully use my bathroom during construction and I have no wife to nag me about finishing.

Here are some before pics (Here's where you think to yourself, there's nothing wrong with it. Why would you remodel it?)

Here's the rough sketchup design of what the completed bathroom will resemble.

And here's the fun in progress pics. Keep in mind, for the most part i'm doing all of it myself, with the help of a friend here and there, with the exception of tile installation and the shower pan install.

First step was to tear out the right side vanity. I tried to give the vanity away to someone on Craigslist, but that created a nightmare of a process that resulted in my demolishing the whole thing and taking it to the dump.

Installed new plumbing for a conversion to two side by side vanities

Removed the mirror (with a thrown pipe wrench) and the rest of the drywall so I could change some electrical stuff and put up hardibacker

Cut a hole to frame out a 2nd medicine cabinet on the right side

Finished the electrical work for some light up mirrors and added some recessed lighting

Finished framing out the medicine cabinet and added an outlet

Hardibacker was installed (by someone else who had no idea how to install this stuff judging by his seams)

Medicine cabinet drywalled and ready for install

Added some ledger boards for the new floating vanities

Floating vanities installed (plywood added later for new granite)

So long old jacuzzi tub

Breaking apart 2 inches of mortar to get rid of this tub surround. Talk about a pain in the rear end.

A scene from an Aleppo war-torn home. Oh wait it's my bathroom after demoing the tub surround.

Tub surround begone! *POOF!*

Time for my 2nd trip to the dump.

Framing out the new shower wall

Had to remove an exterior window

Found someone on Craigs to stucco it back in for cheap

That's where I'm at so far.
Next on the list:
- New tub arrives tomorrow
- Granite for vanities should be here any day
- Going to drop the subfloor under the tub a few inches
- Installing a few more recessed lights

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
but is that first bathroom going to attract The Wily Females to his den? i think not. with this black and red monstrosity though, he's going to be like the guy in a body spray commercial

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does anyone have the pictures of his bedroom he designed to appeal to :females: that looked like a generic hotel bedroom?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

sebmojo posted:

She was.
Tfw yer so woke you dead name parmabanned posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Tfw yer so woke you dead name parmabanned posters.

That's only when they're from the correct region of the internet