Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The movies keep blowing poo poo up in cataclysmic ways in a universe where poo poo is meant to be all tense and political and diplomatic. The gravitational force of those movie events is shifting the Trek setting inexorably towards one where things are constantly exploding in dramatic fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Brawnfire posted:

The movies keep blowing poo poo up in cataclysmic ways in a universe where poo poo is meant to be all tense and political and diplomatic. The gravitational force of those movie events is shifting the Trek setting inexorably towards one where things are constantly exploding in dramatic fashion.

And that lies squarely on the TNG movies shoulders too for setting that direction. I guess you have JJ's fetish for blowing up planets to blame for escalating it, but that was the trajectory of all the movies but Insurrection. Which still had it's own dumb action movie beats it wanted to ape.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think what is most frustrating about Picard in either Seasons is that they have some interesting set ups and the crew is acting their heart out and it all leads to...nothing. Nothing new about the borg, or the federation, or whatever. I don't think Picard is as bad as everyone here thinks it is but it is probably the biggest disappointment because there is something that that could be done with like some focus.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I think two enemies being put in a situation where they have to work together is very TNG, so the whole premise they started with, with the super nova happening, but there being time to organise an evacuation was interesting. Then they just tossed it all away for secret robot apocalypse prophesy cults and threw in the borg that didn't end up going anywhere

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean it’s pretty well documented they just made it up as they went along. So much so that they had to do pretty substantial reshoots for the first two episodes because the season ended up making even less sense than what we got, IIRC.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Eimi posted:

And that lies squarely on the TNG movies shoulders too for setting that direction. I guess you have JJ's fetish for blowing up planets to blame for escalating it, but that was the trajectory of all the movies but Insurrection. Which still had it's own dumb action movie beats it wanted to ape.

While I agree that TNG movies skewed the direction of what was expected from the new shows (and B5, BSG, later Expanse did their fair share) towards stupid melodramatic action stuff where everyone has dark past and are broken as a person, the first four Star Trek movies all have planet-killer weapon involved in the main plot.

TNG movies make a mess of many things, but "making stories about blowing up planets" isn't on them or JJ.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boxturret posted:

I think two enemies being put in a situation where they have to work together is very TNG,

There's The Enemy, of course. And Sisko and Ducat get stranded together on a planet, and Sisko and his crew crash on the same planet as some Jem Hadar. Didn't Kira get stranded with Dukat somewhere and had to help him pull a splinter out of his rear end, or is that the Sisko one?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Der Kyhe posted:

the first four Star Trek movies all have planet-killer weapon involved in the main plot.

TMP: A nigh-godlike alien who only destroys ships that fire directly on it, and only threatens the Earth because it honestly doesn't believe that carbon units are worth considering, the same way you're not really concerned about the bacterial apocalypse you commit every time you brush your teeth or run your dishwasher.

TWOK: naïve scientists are too busy thinking about if they could to wonder if they should. It's never really explained why Khan wants the genesis device, other than that he knows Kirk is involved; he never threatens anybody with it. He seems to take it specifically to piss off Kirk, and maybe in the back of his mind, he's thinking he can go make himself a better colony planet. At no point does he ever express any interest in attacking anybody other than Kirk. He only tortures Terrell and Chekov to get information on Kirk. He maroons the rest of the Reliant crew rather than beaming them into space or stuffing them out the airlocks. He tortures the Regula-1 staff, again, to get information on Kirk.

TSFS: Klingons, on the other hand, are well aware that the Federation, were they so inclined, could simply genesis-nuke their planets, then build condos and ski resorts. Kruuge seems to want it for glory and bragging rights, and in the back of his mind, probably balance of power issues.

TVH: See TMP, only instead of looking for Jackson Roykirk, excuse me, The Creator, they're looking for whales. Again, not a planet killing weapon, just a byproduct of being life, Jim, but not as we know it. The same way digging up your lawn to put in a new septic system is very unpleasant for the things already living there.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think what is most frustrating about Picard in either Seasons is that they have some interesting set ups and the crew is acting their heart out and it all leads to...nothing. Nothing new about the borg, or the federation, or whatever. I don't think Picard is as bad as everyone here thinks it is but it is probably the biggest disappointment because there is something that that could be done with like some focus.

Picard has big "anime filler arc" energy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eimi posted:

I think you could do good stuff with the destruction of Romulus plot if you had really good writers who were into the Romulans and exploring and expanding their culture beyond "sneaky bad guys". I don't trust any of modern Trek's writers to do that properly, especially not after Picard.

That's something I'll at least give Michael Chabon credit for, he was that person on paper. He really wanted to explore the aftermath of what the loss of Romulus did to the Romulan people and the politics of the Alpha Quadrant, and expand the culture of the Romulans beyond being the sneaky bad guys.

The problem was that he sucked at it, AND he kept getting railroaded by Patrick Stewart and the 80,000 executive producers into doing whatever weird bullshit they wanted to do and he had no game to push back with because he'd never helmed a television show before.

Dude was the wrong man in the wrong place with the right idea.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Now they're the sneaky bad guys who are also into woo woo Gwyneth Paltrow poo poo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This space candle smells like my forehead vagina

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

After the death of Senator Vreenak, the Romulans lost the ability to tell what was real and what wasn't.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Ignoring the actual content of the show, Picard would probably make a fascinating behind the scenes production documentary showing exactly how we ended up with the show we got.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arrinien posted:

Ignoring the actual content of the show, Picard would probably make a fascinating behind the scenes production documentary showing exactly how we ended up with the show we got.

Especially Season 2. I really want to know the inside scoop on a season that basically was showrunner-less and being quarterbacked by the MFA grad program interns in the writers room for school credit.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Arrinien posted:

Have to wait for The 75 Year Mission, I guess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Especially Season 2. I really want to know the inside scoop on a season that basically was showrunner-less and being quarterbacked by the MFA grad program interns in the writers room for school credit.

Whenever a show is set in and around Los Angeles I assume the issue is budget. "We've been transported back to 2022, directly onto what appears to be some sort of soundstage belonging to a kind of 'television company' known as Paramount"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

Whenever a show is set in and around Los Angeles I assume the issue is budget. "We've been transported back to 2022, directly onto what appears to be some sort of soundstage belonging to a kind of 'television company' known as Paramount"

They were attempting Voyage Home, the series. PIC S2 is few good ideas done adequate to badly.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Yeah, I assume all the budget was being saved for the TNG cast’s salaries S3.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

They were attempting Voyage Home, the series. PIC S2 is few good ideas done adequate to badly.

I still can't believe the entire crux of the season shook out to be Q's insanely convoluted and frequently off-script plan to get Picard to go back to his old house in order to find a key, and then put the key back exactly where he found it.

Jesus.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Whoever was behind the incest twins/siblings needs to answer for their crimes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eimi posted:

The best thing about those two characters was when they both died. Or in the case of Narek, when he just disappears halfway through episode 10 because they just forgot he existed, so he basically died for all intents and purposes :buddy:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

The Bloop posted:

This space candle smells like my forehead dead grandmother's freshly hosed vagina

FTFY, Dr. Crusher

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eimi posted:

Written for the screen by....Mark Millar!!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Eimi posted:

At least they were interesting characters who had an agenda and resources to be actual antagonists. The S2 has ICE agents and another Soong as the enemy. Soong was kneecapped by being completely under the thumb of Q who didn't ever want him to win, and the Borg Queen (which was one of the better acting works, all kudos to the actor) who was doomed by history to fail.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I still can't believe the entire crux of the season shook out to be Q's insanely convoluted and frequently off-script plan to get Picard to go back to his old house in order to find a key, and then put the key back exactly where he found it.

Jesus.

Picard proving he has learned his lesson that he shouldn't try to change things.

5 minutes after he gives a Borg Queen from 300 years in evil-timeline future a starship and sets in motion an evil-genius's plan to create atomic supermen to take over the world.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Picard never left the Nexus. Everything that happens from around Nemesis onward is the illusion struggling to adjust on the fly so he won't notice he's still inside

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Delsaber posted:

Picard never left the Nexus. Everything that happens from around Nemesis onward is the illusion struggling to adjust on the fly so he won't notice he's still inside

Picard had a debilitating stroke from his condition after All God Things and is in Talos IV next to Pike having a good one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How early was Kirk in the Generation's script? From the jump or is it something they added in later in the process? Because imo he should not have been.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Picard had a debilitating stroke from his condition after All God Things and is in Talos IV next to Pike having a good one.

Everything from the last ten minutes of Et In Arcadia, Ego Part 2 onward has just been Picard's consciousness unravelling as he lies dying on the floor of Soong's courtyard in Raffi's arms.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

How early was Kirk in the Generation's script? From the jump or is it something they added in later in the process? Because imo he should not have been.

The two big things they were told the movie had to do before they even started writing was a) bring together Kirk and Picard and b) destroy the Enterprise-D so they could replace it with something cooler.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

It was always going to be TOS with/against TNG movie; the original plans were in fact much stupider that what we got.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Der Kyhe posted:

It was always going to be TOS with/against TNG movie; the original plans were in fact much stupider that what we got.

Wasn’t it literally going to be Kirk vs Picard at some point

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

nine-gear crow posted:

Jesus.

Q's plan was to get Picard to confront his own past and move past his deep childhood trauma that was causing him to push others away. Presenting him with the key at the end allowed him to make a choice: does he accept what happened and who he has become as a result, or does he surrender to his trauma and try to change the future? Was Q's plan good? No. Was it presented well? Also no. But to boil it down to getting Picard to put a key behind a brick completely misses the theme of the entire season, which is about dealing with your trauma.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

Moore and Braga knew the best image they could have for a crossover movie's poster was to have the two Enterprises battling each other, but they couldn't crack a story that didn't make one or both of the crews look like the villains.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Timby posted:

Moore and Braga knew the best image they could have for a crossover movie's poster was to have the two Enterprises battling each other, but they couldn't crack a story that didn't make one or both of the crews look like the villains.

"Crew is brainwashed/mindwiped/deceived" has got to be one of the most common TNG plots around. If the events of "Conundrum" didn't make the TNG crew look villainous, a non-lethal encounter with the TOS crew (or the reverse scenario) shouldn't be too bad, right?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Both crews are under alien manipulation to think the other Enterprise is a Klingon and/or Romulan ship” would have been a cool solution. It even gives each captain a chance to remark on the other’s brilliant tactical abilities without knowing the other is Kirk or Picard.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HD DAD posted:

The 50 year mission does not go into too many details about it but yes, the initial idea was something akin to "Kirk and TOS crew wants something to be saved, which Picard and TNG crew wants destroyed. And we get a space fight between costitution class Ent-A and Galaxy-class Ent-D".

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm playing Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnought and feeling deep in my bones how bad I want a star trek game like this.

Yeah I want to snap together hull, engine, command and weapon parts as my tech tree unlocks them, fiddle with details like speed, steering and various protection systems, and then play a campaign with a battle mode featuring my ships.

But I want them to have glowing blue engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I want a PVP game much like War Thunder, with tech trees for each major galactic power, starting with the Enterprise era and ending with the TNG movie era.