Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

LionArcher posted:

I’m quitting the forums tomorrow (I’ll come back if another 9/11 all new truly horrible covid type event returns, maybe) but I just want to say, thanks thread. you helped crack ping me. hug your loved ones, smoke some weed, and enjoy how good it is.

because it’s not bad, yet.

But this could be you if you only would stay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2v0OZ6tFeU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
they cringed at him for telling the truth

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

LionArcher posted:

I’m quitting the forums tomorrow (I’ll come back if another 9/11 all new truly horrible covid type event returns, maybe) but I just want to say, thanks thread. you helped crack ping me. hug your loved ones, smoke some weed, and enjoy how good it is.

because it’s not bad, yet.

1glitch0 posted:

See you on the flipside, hashtag be safe

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

LionArcher posted:

biosphere collapse: hug your loved ones, smoke some weed, and enjoy how good it is.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mirthless posted:

When you think about it, it's kind of amazing that the GOP have been able to harness (((The Globalists))) for this long without having to actually take one step, performatively or otherwise, towards de-globalizing our economy

At some point in the last decade or so both sides of our political spectrum abandoned actionable politics altogether and the end result now is that one side is convinced the world is ending immediately, the other side is convinced the world is under the control of a global cabal of elites, and the only thing anyone can agree on is that nothing can be done to solve any of our problems

they're using that word to refer to Jewish people, not the actual process of globalization, lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

oh just so you guys are aware, this script is great. page 805 was amusingly short

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967866#post517437395

Spergin Morlock has issued a correction as of 04:02 on Aug 16, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Chamale posted:

The only sources I can recommend are very dry. The Human Consequences Of The Chernobyl Nuclear Accident from the IAEA talks about various health, psychological, and economic problems in the region. This study of Estonian liquidators found their suicide rate was 45% higher, and death by alcoholism 25% higher, compared to the average Estonian man of the same age.

Great, thanks for following up. Ill take a look.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

https://www.businessinsider.com/jpmorgan-jamie-dimon-oil-gas-production-not-against-climate-change-2022-8

gotta break a few eggs and whatnot

quote:

JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon said this week that US natural gas production does not conflict with long-term emission reduction targets, Yahoo Finance first reported.

"Why can't we get it through our thick skulls, that if you want to solve climate [change], it is not against climate [change] for America to boost more oil and gas?" he continued, according to Yahoo.

oh

quote:

JPMorgan Chase was ranked as the world's top "fossil fuel financier" in a report published by environmental groups last year, who said the bank contributed a total of $317 billion to the industry between 2016 and 2020.

The bank has pledged to achieve net-zero emissions throughout key sectors of its financing portfolio by 2050 in accordance with the Paris Agreement.

playing the long game until the game doesn't exist anymore

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
i think about this from time to time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9b9aoINXzk

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

quote:

1/1/2050

JPMorgan Chase has achieved net-zero emissions throughout key sectors of its financing portfolio.

Major investment firm Mace ChorganJP was ranked as the world's top "fossil fuel investor" by eco-fascist groups existing on the fringes of society, who said the investment firm now owns equity worth $1.01 trillion in the industry since beginning investment in 2042.

The investment firm has pledged greater than net-zero returns to shareholders throughout its key holdings of investment portfolio before the last recognised human goes to die on the way to Mars as part of Elon Musk's Mars Inhabitation Project

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

ArfJason posted:

the microcringe is getting lodged on shark gills and affects literally EVERY SPECIES OF SHARKS. Good luck living with a ruined ecosystem for the next eternity

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

ArfJason posted:

"what if we output shitloads of cringe into the atmosphere... as a little capitalist overlord treat??"
uh, no? how about you take half of my rear end, eat the other half, the eat the half of my rear end you set aside at the start? eat my whole rear end you chud piece of poo poo. gently caress you.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

100+ new posts always delivers

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

ArfJason posted:

forget about all the based food youre having right now, the future is gonna be about cringe contaminated rations, and well kill each other over them. i already have some blades prepared for the inevitable

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
ArfJason Now Biggest Emmitter of Cringe, Study Finds

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
things aren't that cringe, yet

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Spergin Morlock posted:

oh just so you guys are aware, this script is great. page 805 was amusingly short

sayonara, that guy who posts about pittsburgh all the time

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Spergin Morlock posted:

Cringe Capture Technology Finally Arrives; Sequestered Cringe Expected to be Stable for Thousands of Years

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

Shima Honnou posted:

they cringed at him for telling the truth
He was silenced by Big Cringe.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

that newscaster's name lmao

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/bidetmarxman/status/1559191302235123713?s=20&t=HtdlgE0nnWbqvpz7oQuR3Q
fewer bug splatters on my precious car? sounds like a good thing to me!

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
i love that this thread can literally predict the future

we been talking about the lack of bugs on windshields for like 4 years now...

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Homocow posted:

fewer bug?

good thing!

:hmmyes:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

tiberion02 posted:

this thread can literally predict the future

Let us truly hope this is not the case

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

tiberion02 posted:

i love that this thread can literally predict the future

we been talking about the lack of bugs on windshields for like 4 years now...

By predict the future do you mean the thread is able to look at the world and not close our eyes? Literally just state things like "Lake Mead's water level is low"

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Let us truly hope this is not the case

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
my backyard this summer is a haven for dragonflies and I enjoy watching them gently caress up flies etc

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/chriscartw83/status/1559567911995318272

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Homocow posted:

https://twitter.com/bidetmarxman/status/1559191302235123713?s=20&t=HtdlgE0nnWbqvpz7oQuR3Q
fewer bug splatters on my precious car? sounds like a good thing to me!

The insects have become smart enough to stay out of the way of cars and are presently amassing an army underground large enough to blot out the sun, thus fixing cliamte change.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/16/opinion/climate-inflation-reduction-act.html

I did not know the bolded part at all - I thought the carbon just sat there or w/e

quote:

Where C.C.S. has been most widely used in the United States and elsewhere, however, is in the production of oil and natural gas. Here’s how: Natural gas processing facilities separate carbon dioxide from methane to purify the methane for sale. These facilities then sometimes pipe the “captured” carbon dioxide to what are known as enhanced oil recovery projects, where the carbon dioxide is injected into oil fields to extract additional oil that would otherwise be trapped underground.

Of the 12 commercial C.C.S. projects in operation in 2021, more than 90 percent are engaged in enhance oil recovery, using carbon dioxide emitted from natural gas processing facilities or from fertilizer, hydrogen or ethanol plants, according to an industry report. That is why we consider these ventures oil or natural gas projects, or both, masquerading as climate change solutions.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FxfXVuHRjM

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

actionjackson posted:

I did not know the bolded part at all - I thought the carbon just sat there or w/e

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

SplitSoul posted:

The insects have become smart enough to stay out of the way of cars and are presently amassing an army underground large enough to blot out the sun, thus fixing cliamte change.

well, what's the hold up? do they have a patreon?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Koirhor posted:

my backyard this summer is a haven for dragonflies and I enjoy watching them gently caress

:stonklol:

Koirhor posted:

up flies etc

Oh.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Koirhor posted:

my backyard this summer is a haven for dragonflies and I enjoy watching them gently caress up flies etc

I made habitat for wildlife in my back yard, including tall grasses and pollenators, and seeing the bees in the day and the fireflies at night has been an incredible sublime pleasure :unsmith:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

actionjackson posted:

not only that, but they get a special tax credit for doing EOR!

quote:

Credit Amount. The IRA establishes a new baseline credit amount for qualifying CCUS facilities of $17 per ton of carbon permanently sequestered and $12 per ton of carbon captured for enhanced oil or gas recovery (EOR) or commercial utilization of captured carbon. The baseline amounts, however, may be multiplied by five if the qualifying facility meets certain wage, hour, and apprenticeship requirements resulting in 45Q credit amounts for sequestration and EOR/utilization of $85 and $60 per ton, respectively. The IRA also creates separate direct air capture (DAC) 45Q baseline credit amounts of $36 per ton for permanent carbon sequestration and $26 per ton for EOR and carbon utilization. The DAC credits may also be multiplied by five if prevailing wage, hour, and apprenticeship requirements are met resulting in 45Q credits for sequestration and EOR/utilization of $180 and $130, respectively. The following chart shows the IRA’s proposed changes to the 45Q credit amounts.

now that's how we save the climate!

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

take_it_slow posted:

Energy and Ambitions on a Finite Planet - Murphy, Tom - textbook by the Do The Math guy - quite elementary, but a good introduction to the various non-fossil fuel energy sources. I found it informative, and would consider it a good recommendation to introduce neophytes/ persuade techno-optimists.

I haven't read any of these but they have all been recommended (or at least discussed) in circles similar to this'n:
  • Hothouse Earth: An Inhabitant’s Guide - McGuire, Bill
  • Negotiating Climate Change in Crisis - Böhm, Steffen; Sullivan, Sian
  • The Arctic Fox Cometh - Orlov, Dmitry
  • Perilous Bounty: The Looming Collapse of American Farming and How We Can Prevent It - Philpott, Tom
  • Upheaval - Diamond, Jared
  • How Everything Can Collapse: A Manual for our Times - Servigne, Pablo; Stevens, Raphaël
  • Before the Collapse: A Guide to the Other Side of Growth - Bardi, Ugo
  • Unprecedented: Can Civilization Survive The CO2 Crisis? - Griffin, David Ray
  • Enviromedics: The Impact of Climate Change on Human Health - Lemery, Jay; Auerbach, Paul
some unique recent suggestions in this thread: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1412.msg330789.html
Lots of contemporary books reviewed here: https://www.resilience.org/ (note - site doesn't have a book review tag; recommend https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=review%20site%3Aresilience.org as a substitute...)

It kinda surprised me to learn that the first resource you linked is an university grade textbook.
I may be an old and not aware of the education standards these days, but skimming through it, I couldn't shake the feeling that most of the core concepts (ok there's a few chapters that require a bit more iterative training in algebra to be painlessly absorbed in full) could be meaningfully relayed to young teens.

Imagine if we'd had widely available vulgarisation documents like these available a few decades ago and integrated it in the curriculum or some civitas exam. Might have helped a bit in preparing for our shared predicament.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

two-time fee posted:

It kinda surprised me to learn that the first resource you linked is an university grade textbook.
I may be an old and not aware of the education standards these days, but skimming through it, I couldn't shake the feeling that most of the core concepts (ok there's a few chapters that require a bit more iterative training in algebra to be painlessly absorbed in full) could be meaningfully relayed to young teens.

Imagine if we'd had widely available vulgarisation documents like these available a few decades ago and integrated it in the curriculum or some civitas exam. Might have helped a bit in preparing for our shared predicament.

impossible, an educated populace is communism

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
https://www.12news.com/article/news/local/water-wars/arizona-colorado-river-water-cuts-august/75-f72964d6-2ac8-4713-ba82-b01595cd8813

quote:

The 21% reduction is much more dire than the original 15% reduction the bureau told Arizona and six other Southwest states they had to prepare for in June. The feds told states they would step in and impose restrictions themselves if that deadline wasn't met.

Officials at the Arizona Department of Water Resources and the Central Arizona Project (CAP) canal said that they did meet the deadline, but their collaborative proposal with Nevada was rejected by the federal officials.

"It is unacceptable for Arizona to continue to carry a disproportionate burden of reductions for the benefit of others who have not contributed," ADWR and CAP officials said in a press release. "Arizona is committed to work toward a comprehensive plan that assures protection of the system through equitable contributions from all water users."

Arizona's agriculture industry has had a troublesome history of overusing water. Before using Colorado River water, farmers relied on groundwater and almost drained the state dry. The crisis was seemingly averted in 1973 with the formation of the CAP canal.

"A lot of agriculture in the state was very reliant on well water before we got the CAP canal," Kyl Center for Water Policy Director Sarah Porter previously told 12News. "It was broadly understood that well water was a finite resource and we were going to be in trouble."

The overuse of well water led to farmers giving up their CAP rights to cities in exchange for those cities subsidizing the water through urban property taxes.

Nearly 50 years later, farmers will have to face the consequences of that deal as another water crisis looms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

two-time fee posted:

i'm sure that we did have documents like these. but there's no way in hell you would have been able to make them part of any school curriculum. you'd have been opposed at every single turn by climate deniers, social conservatives, religious nuts, and business in general and oil and gas specifically. the latter would've probably put serious money into smear campaigns and legal action against people pushing for that, and i legitimately don't think that them having people murdered over this would have been out of the question