Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Oh hey I live in one of the most expensive real estate markets in Canada/North America and it sucks hard. It sucks harder to rent because of how much places will overcharge for a room to make up the mortgage to pay off a million plus dollar tear down home. It sucks that a bunch of places get bought up by developers looking to tear them down to build "luxury condos"*. It sucked when I lived in a basement suite and my mail would be filled with flyers for real estate agents basically saying "sell your house and become stinking rich" when the landlord didn't even live on the property.
As for the reassessment bit someone mentioned, they introduced that in my city and because all real estate/land here is stupidly highly priced a lot of people had their taxes go up. I couldn't find the sympathy for them though as they still owned a place, and those who lived in the same place for decades could have the taxes deferred until sale/death.

*by adding the word "luxury" you can up the starting price by a couple hundred thousands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This chart shows how we have really been under-building for close to 15 years at this point. Even recently housing construction has never recovered from the 2008 crash.

https://twitter.com/uscensusbureau/status/1559519114506510336?s=20&t=5wCMGLKa-kEZrWkalrGrbQ

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cimber posted:

Well, thats what you get for wanting to live in Pittsburgh. :D

Yeah, it's fuckin cheap. I can live alone for under a thousand dollars a month.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Star Man posted:

Yeah, it's fuckin cheap. I can live alone for under a thousand dollars a month.

Same for semi-rural Florida. My mortgage is less than my rent was in 2010. The downside is that I have to live in Florida.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Pittsburgh is such an interesting case too, because the (relatively) abundant supply and low prices helped insulate the city from the worst of the 2008 market crisis and helped make it an attractive and affordable city to live. But that's rapidly changing, and it's making Pittsburgh a less attractive place at the same time. There's already a shortage of affordable housing, and I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the market follows suit.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It's even better when you hear him say it.

https://twitter.com/ScottHech/status/1558964169243648000

No one seriously thought the Forward Party had any chance, but it's really surprising just how bad at this Yang is. For a veteran of two high-profile highly-contested political campaigns, flubbing a TV appearance this badly is just embarrassing.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Cheesus posted:

I own my home but this article infuriated me: https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont...1382.1660664691

Why in the world are these people renting month to month? The entire point of a month to month lease is that either party can back out with like a month notice.

I hate everyone in this article.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jarmak posted:

Why in the world are these people renting month to month? The entire point of a month to month lease is that either party can back out with like a month notice.

I don't think they're being offered longer term contracts.

Hell back when I was renting, they would constantly give me weird poo poo like 7 or 13 month contracts at hugely inflated rates.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Jarmak posted:

They tried to lock in a rate with a yearlong lease but not at the $3,200 she was asking for.

Edit: actually it looks like they tried to lock in the rate they were paying but the landlord wanted to test the market.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 16, 2022

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Jarmak posted:

A one year lease that becomes month to month unless explicitly renewed is a fairly common leasing structure in a lot of places, but either way it's unlikely the family in that story had much of a choice.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

HD DAD posted:

Same for semi-rural Florida. My mortgage is less than my rent was in 2010. The downside is that I have to live in Florida.

I rent, but I'd be paying double this if I had tried to go back to Denver from Wyoming again.

Tibalt posted:

Pittsburgh is such an interesting case too, because the (relatively) abundant supply and low prices helped insulate the city from the worst of the 2008 market crisis and helped make it an attractive and affordable city to live. But that's rapidly changing, and it's making Pittsburgh a less attractive place at the same time. There's already a shortage of affordable housing, and I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the market follows suit.

It's going to turn into another Denver where no one gave a fuckin poo poo until it was discovered how cheap it was and turned into nu-California. I just wanted to try going somewhere east and near a very large source of fresh water for....reasons, and an art instructor I had when I was looking into grad school before the pandemic told me to consider the Midwest or the Rust Belt to keep my living expenses low.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Cimber posted:

Well, thats what you get for wanting to live in Pittsburgh. :D

I never really understood the hate, I'm obviously biased but Pittsburgh is loving awesome.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Star Man posted:

I rent, but I'd be paying double this if I had tried to go back to Denver from Wyoming again.

It's going to turn into another Denver where no one gave a fuckin poo poo until it was discovered how cheap it was and turned into nu-California. I just wanted to try going somewhere east and near a very large source of fresh water for....reasons, and an art instructor I had when I was looking into grad school before the pandemic told me to consider the Midwest or the Rust Belt to keep my living expenses low.

It's okay, you can tell us about your supervillainous plans to build the world's largest water-cooled supercomputer.

Unfortunately, that experience is pretty common in lower-cost midsize-to-large cities across the country right now. The housing crisis took longer to hit them harder, but it's very much here. Like so many other things, that trend was accelerated by COVID and the rise in remote employment, but the trend itself is far from new.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Congrats to... Buffalo, New York for being the new up and coming city to live in based on nothing more than having houses that you can buy on a single income and having an annual pride parade that isn't overwhelmed by counter-protests.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Quorum posted:

It's okay, you can tell us about your supervillainous plans to build the world's largest water-cooled supercomputer.

Unfortunately, that experience is pretty common in lower-cost midsize-to-large cities across the country right now. The housing crisis took longer to hit them harder, but it's very much here. Like so many other things, that trend was accelerated by COVID and the rise in remote employment, but the trend itself is far from new.

It was to get away from the megadroughts in the Rockies :ssh:

I've known about the insane jump in cost of living for a long time. I lived in Denver right out of high school for a year in 2005-2006 and remember looking at a studio on Cap Hill for $400 a month. I almost settled on a one-bedroom in Northglenn for around the same rate, but dropped out of the for-profit school I was going to and moved to Laramie to go to UW. When I went back to Denver to finish undergrad after dropping out of UW in 2013, it was rocketing to the moon.

My sister got priced out of Reno not long after I had to move back home to Wyoming in 2017 after my cheap place to live got sold (thank gently caress I had finished undergrad two months before) and she had to do the same in 2019. I remember her telling me to consider going there because it was cheaper than Denver, then also told me that a lot of people were moving there from California. All I said to her was, "Yeah, because you're next."

If I ever see a sudden glut of cars with Colorado license plates, it's time to fuckin run.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Quorum posted:

A one year lease that becomes month to month unless explicitly renewed is a fairly common leasing structure in a lot of places, but either way it's unlikely the family in that story had much of a choice.

Maybe that market is really weird but I've never not had a one year lease and these folks are making more than six figures so it's hard for me to believe they've fallen into some sort of poverty trap forcing a month-to-month.

Given that the lady was able to find a new renter so quickly with a near +50% rent hike it just makes me suspicious that these are high-earners that thought they were being clever.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

projecthalaxy posted:

Is there some legal (as in like Congress or Biden could just make a law/order) way that they could stop the big investment firms from buying like every single new and used house on the market? I'm not sure what the lever would be (im not really in the market because I have a cheap apartment) but my friends with houses talk about how like hundreds of houses will go on the market (dallas region) and then be bought by Blackrock or whoever in like 2 hours for 115 cents on the dollar and actual people aren't able to get any house for any price. Seems like that not happening would help the housing crisis?

Two major things. Rezoning for usability and density, especially at the national level (for example Japanese zoning) lifts a ton of pressure because it's so easy to respond to demand, and it's much harder to simply get a regional cartel going by buying up all the land that comes on the market with no real capital investment . And the government could tax loans given to businesses to disincentavise this.

Local governments have way more power here though and they take pathetic levels of donations to become corporate yes men

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Housing is in a bubble and a lot of these investors are gonna get hosed when the bubble pops and they’re sitting on inventory whose value is crashing but still requires a good 2% - 4% annual payment to cover taxes and maintenance.

It’d be funny if it wasn’t for the giant disruptions to hundreds of millions of people who are just trying to live their lives.

A bubble requires artificial demand for the product. Even if prices are inflated right now, there are still a lot more people than there are houses (especially in high-demand urban areas), so it is going to be a long time before a true "pop" of the bubble. It will likely just float down and then back up over time rather than a full pop. At least, in the short term.

You aren't going to have a ton of people just decide they don't want to live in a house anymore all at once.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jarmak posted:

It doesn't really matter, does it? Whether it's a monthly lease or a yearly lease, it's still an article about a landlord ousting tenants so she can add $1000 to the monthly rent.

Although the article specifically notes that the tenants tried to get a one-year lease, and that the landlord refused.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What place isn't expensive at this point. I live just outside of Nashville and 700 square foot 1bed 1bath are going for $1900/month.

I fuckin get it why people are moving to Mexico city. This country is straight up unaffordable unless you want to live in the middle of nowhere. I'm sorry, but Tennessee is a poo poo hole and I only moved here for work, but I'd never consider buying a house here, and will look to move again in a year or two, but seriously where do you go at this point? Traditionally people moved to the south because it was cheaper than the Northern states, but $1900/m is lo-loving-l. Slap on top of that student loans, car payment, etc. I make decent money, but I'm never going to be able to consider starting a family or any major life decision at this rate.

I seriously have no idea how people that make 40-50k are making it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We centrists have answers! Lots of answers! Our answer is to move everyone to the center.

What? Social issues? That's a partisan issue we don't have answers to that

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cr0y posted:

I never really understood the hate, I'm obviously biased but Pittsburgh is loving awesome.

There's a lot of small to mid-sized urban and exurban areas that are pretty cheap to live in and perfectly fine, but they get massively overlooked.

Places like Pittsburgh or Kansas City aren't NYC or SF, but they are really cheap and perfectly fine urban areas.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Zotix posted:

What place isn't expensive at this point. I live just outside of Nashville and 700 square foot 1bed 1bath are going for $1900/month.

I fuckin get it why people are moving to Mexico city. This country is straight up unaffordable unless you want to live in the middle of nowhere. I'm sorry, but Tennessee is a poo poo hole and I only moved here for work, but I'd never consider buying a house here, and will look to move again in a year or two, but seriously where do you go at this point? Traditionally people moved to the south because it was cheaper than the Northern states, but $1900/m is lo-loving-l. Slap on top of that student loans, car payment, etc. I make decent money, but I'm never going to be able to consider starting a family or any major life decision at this rate.

I seriously have no idea how people that make 40-50k are making it.

They're not.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Places like Pittsburgh or Kansas City aren't NYC or SF, but they are really cheap and perfectly fine urban areas.

Yeah, I recently got a new job in Kansas City that I'll be moving to, and the rent is still very reasonable there. Cost of living was a major factor in deciding which job to apply for.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

It doesn't really matter, does it? Whether it's a monthly lease or a yearly lease, it's still an article about a landlord ousting tenants so she can add $1000 to the monthly rent.

Although the article specifically notes that the tenants tried to get a one-year lease, and that the landlord refused.

Of course it matters, that's literally the cost/benefit of a month to month lease. The article notes they asked for a one-year only after she raised the rent.

Again, this is a six-figure household so my "you got literally exactly what you signed up for" calibration is a lot more sensitive.

Edit: I'm looking at this like I'd look at a variable interest loan with a low introductory rate. For a large segment of the population I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that they didn't really understand what they were getting into/were victims of predatory marketing... but over a certain income threshold that's on you for not doing your homework, you have more than enough resources at your disposal.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 16, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

There's a lot of small to mid-sized urban and exurban areas that are pretty cheap to live in and perfectly fine, but they get massively overlooked.

Perfectly fine if you're queer? If you have a uterus? Want to live in a more urban area without the state government gerrymandering the place to hell and back or otherwise sabotaging the state through poo poo policy? Maybe PA is fine but I'm pretty sure that KS is not. Hell, the last time this came up and folks wanted to sing the praises of Charlotte, NC passed a bathroom bill two weeks later. That poo poo isn't going to happen in CA or WA.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

We centrists have answers! Lots of answers! Our answer is to move everyone to the center.

What? Social issues? That's a partisan issue we don't have answers to that

The part about this dumb bullshit talking point that really frosts my flakes is that on some things there just absolutely is no center. Wishy washy maybe-this maybe-that answers just don't work for, like, the death penalty as an extreme example. You can't kill them just a little bit as a compromise. It's yes or no, one side is wrong.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

This is not one of those shady pyramid schemes you've been hearing about. Our model is the trapezoid!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Solkanar512 posted:

Perfectly fine if you're queer? If you have a uterus? Want to live in a more urban area without the state government gerrymandering the place to hell and back or otherwise sabotaging the state through poo poo policy? Maybe PA is fine but I'm pretty sure that KS is not. Hell, the last time this came up and folks wanted to sing the praises of Charlotte, NC passed a bathroom bill two weeks later. That poo poo isn't going to happen in CA or WA.

Kansas City is only about 60% white and is reasonably progressive. The Missouri side will likely have recreational marijuana approved after this election, and abortion is not going to be banned anytime soon on the Kansas side.

If you leave Kansas City and go far out into the midwest wasteland in any direction out of town, things get very different, Trumpy, and red, but why the hell would anyone ever do that?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

In addition to

Solkanar512 posted:

many people have family situations that don't allow them to move all over the place.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tibalt posted:

Congrats to... Buffalo, New York for being the new up and coming city to live in based on nothing more than having houses that you can buy on a single income and having an annual pride parade that isn't overwhelmed by counter-protests.

I’ve been eyeballing western NY as a climate change refuge after wildfires start to hit VA

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Just get a high paying job in a desired area, forehead. It's really that simple. Maybe learn to code. Buy a house its easy to do. The population of Seattle should be 200 million.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jaxyon posted:

many people have family situations that don't allow them to move all over the place.

What does that have to do with my point? I said that you can't just say it's the "same" all over, there are significant differences.

Sorry, I totally misunderstood what you were doing here.

I'm really tired of this attitude that if someone gets priced out of where they've been living and set down roots that they should just shut up and stop complaining because "they can just move to the midwest" or where ever because "everything is the same" when it's not.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 16, 2022

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah. Even reliably blue islands in red states aren't immune to state-level politics. As a queer person in Madison, WI I can tell you how much fun it is to live in a city surrounded by people that hate your loving guts (it sucks). The city itself is great and also it's completely unaffordable so it's either go live in the sticks with people who want me dead or move to another state. Cool.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Solkanar512 posted:

Perfectly fine in terms of housing prices, amenities, etc. There's tons of them in blue states (like the aforementioned Pittsburgh) too.

Urban areas are pretty similar socially throughout the country. Lexington, Kentucky has a lot more in common with Philadelphia than it does with the middle of Pennsylvania.

Also, this is not related specifically to housing affordability, but cities outside of California or New York get unjustly tarnished in the pop culture perception.

Obviously, statewide laws impact the entire state, but places like San Antonio, Richmond, Omaha, etc. tend to get unfairly tarnished as intolerant places, when the real cultural divide is urban/rural rather than specific cities.

The one specific example you used - Kansas and women - just had a very public vote overwhelmingly in favor of keeping abortion a constitutional right in the state. The vast majority of states are basically 55/45 and it doesn't take much to switch. Places like Wisconsin, Iowa, Colorado, New Mexico, and Georgia looked very different 10 or 15 years ago and you can't write off the entire state's population. None of those places are or were hellholes despite swinging from very Blue to Red or vice versa.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Solkanar512 posted:

What does that have to do with my point? I said that you can't just say it's the "same" all over, there are significant differences.

I'm really tired of this attitude that if someone gets priced out of where they've been living and set down roots that they should just shut up and stop complaining because "they can just move to the midwest" or where ever because "everything is the same" when it's not.
they were agreeing with and adding on to it

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My grandparents literally left Kansas City and Buffalo 60-75 years ago to move to SoCal, you mean I already have to move back?

Or maybe just skip those and go back to where their ancestors came from including places like rural 1600's Virginia/PA/NY/MA but also all of Germany or even Rymanów or Łasin, Poland? :poland:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 16, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edit: Double posted somehow, despite the 10 second post timer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah, but SF, NYC, D.C., Seattle, Denver, etc. are all massively exploding in cost/population very rapidly because people are moving there and want to move there; not because they had a highly localized baby boom in 2002.

Obviously, the people that moved there have a situation that allows them to move. That is the subgroup that often overlooks the mid-sized urban areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Tibalt posted:

but everyone is a part-timr realtor and flipper these days.

This is spot on. We moved into a home in 2017 and since then it's gone up in value about 35%. We're selling soon and while the influx of cash will be nice, we're dreading becoming renters again but won't have any other choice where we're going.

Can't imagine how bad it is for regular folks scraping by. What a shitshow of a society.