Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Although it is not a lot of weight, it is really high up (it catches some wind) and also really far back.
Just the top case by itself is unnoticeable to me. But when i filled it with 6kg of stuff (more than the maximum of 3kg lol), and also had some camp gear strapped to the bike, it definitely felt more tippy when alread in a corner.

But just the top case? Riding without protective gear has a much bigger influence on the feeling of the bike imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

LimaBiker posted:

Although it is not a lot of weight, it is really high up (it catches some wind) and also really far back.
Just the top case by itself is unnoticeable to me. But when i filled it with 6kg of stuff (more than the maximum of 3kg lol), and also had some camp gear strapped to the bike, it definitely felt more tippy when alread in a corner.

But just the top case? Riding without protective gear has a much bigger influence on the feeling of the bike imho.

Yeah I'll have to give it a proper go tomorrow. The ratings on top cases and carriers are also a thing to behold, the rack is rated at 6kg, the case weighs 5 so I guess officially I am only allowed to carry 1 kilo of stuff inside a 48 liter compartment.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I don't know the rating of my rack, but i think i pressed down onto it with about 20kgf and it didn't do anything weird. But you do want a good safety margin, you don't want any of the bolts to shear off when you accidentally hit the bump stops on a speed hump or whatever.

My Givi top case has a super annoying lock and key. I actively have to hold the lock open (keep the key twisted) because the key has some kind of sideways part that hooks onto your key ring, and because it's sideways and not in the centre, it'll turn the latch halfway between open and locked - meaning the latch won't latch properly if you just leave your keys hanging while latching.

But it was cheap, got it 2nd hand for not a lot of money. I have no issues clicking the thing onto the mounting plate. But it's old, perhaps the bit of wear means it latches in place easier.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 10, 2022

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The load ratings are absolutely minimised as an rear end covering exercise and are probably better thought of as the largest mass of unsecured cargo you can get away with without things getting sketchy, rather than a strict upper limit on what you can carry.

It's easier to publish "max load 5kg" than "max load 50kg but only if it's tied down well so it can't shift at all and you're not hitting any huge potholes at high speed, PS the more you put on there the worse your bike will handle"

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 10, 2022

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Just finished buttoning up a top end rebuild on the crusty old CR125 with a week to spare before our annual cabin/off-roading trip.

As evidenced by the puddle underneath, it turns out likely blew up from overheating via radiator leak, which I just noticed now :suicide:

But hey, I learned that I’m capable of rebuilding a top end without loving it up!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I washed it, finally. Got lost twice looking for the the only self service car wash in Greater Vancouver. Then I went in search of some twisty roads, found some, but also found some rain, because of course I did, I just washed the bike. Thankfully it wasn't bad and didn't soak the road yet, so no road spray.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

T-Square posted:

Just finished buttoning up a top end rebuild on the crusty old CR125 with a week to spare before our annual cabin/off-roading trip.

As evidenced by the puddle underneath, it turns out likely blew up from overheating via radiator leak, which I just noticed now :suicide:

But hey, I learned that I’m capable of rebuilding a top end without loving it up!

The diy spray painted misfits number plate is perfectly fitting. I feel like a blonde kid in a cutoff tee shirt smoking a cigarette rides that bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Verman posted:

The diy spray painted misfits number plate is perfectly fitting.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So after an actual ride I can indeed report that the top case didn't actually noticably change ride behavior. I am however a bit aware that while pushing and taking corners tightly, I might have to pay more attention to my tail.

Also, how do you guys secure stuff inside your cases so they don't slide/fall around.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Put stuff in it like a reflective vest, an extra shirt, stuff like that.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Or that rubberized grip mat stuff.

Re load limits, I pick the back of my DRZ up by the rack, so I think there's quite a bit of wiggle room in there. That said, I'll probably just break the rack off next time I try it.

I had a car battery in the top box of my WR125 once. That rode a bit funny.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I keep rain gear in mine.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
I just filled mine.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I broke the first cheap top box on my first cheap 50cc scooter by putting too many roleplaying game books in it.

They’re very heavy books.

Why yes, I am considering an NC750X for my next bike. Why do you ask?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

They really should have some kind of top and bottom netting system on the inside, but Givi doesn't include one or seemingly any hooks to put one in. My v46 just has a strap that goes across the middle.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Verman posted:

The diy spray painted misfits number plate is perfectly fitting. I feel like a blonde kid in a cutoff tee shirt smoking a cigarette rides that bike.

I guess I’ll have to cut some sleeves off and take up smoking and then I’ll be all set. I even had Misfits playing while I was finishing it up :coolfish:

Replacement right side radiator should be here in time for the trip but I’m gonna pull the leaking one and have a guy that might be able to TIG it up for me, a working spare won’t hurt.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Gorson posted:

They really should have some kind of top and bottom netting system on the inside, but Givi doesn't include one or seemingly any hooks to put one in. My v46 just has a strap that goes across the middle.

The GIVI Outback Trekker does have hooks for a net at the top and I did splurge for that net. But obviously I am usually gonna put spot at the bottom to keep the weight as low as possible.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Mine gets filled with jelly beans*. All 35L of it.

Also sometimes a backpack with my work stuff

*JellyBelly or Starburst only, GTFO with anything else

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

JellyBelly or Starburst only, GTFO with anything else

Sometimes only the flavors of purple, red, yellow, yellow-red, white, mint and licorice will do

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Installed the finest, cheapest gear indicator that eBay had to offer.

Purposely put it out of view as I don't need to see it normally during riding, just want to be able to glance down to see if I'm in fifth or sixth.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Installed the finest, cheapest gear indicator that eBay had to offer.

Purposely put it out of view as I don't need to see it normally during riding, just want to be able to glance down to see if I'm in fifth or sixth.

There's an easier way to tell. Tap the gear lever up. If it didn't change gear, you're in 6th, if it did, you're now in 6th.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

There's an easier way to tell. Tap the gear lever up. If it didn't change gear, you're in 6th, if it did, you're now in 6th.

Fine I just wanted to farkle out the bike HAPPY MOM?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're going to have fun when it only works part of the time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

Then repeat this process every 15 seconds for the duration of the ride

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The upper gears are obnoxiously close on that bike, at 60 mph there's maybe a 300rpm difference between 5th and 6th

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Then repeat this process every 15 seconds for the duration of the ride

This is the correct method

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Nah, checking for 7th gear only needs to happen once per high speed stretch. Quadruple checking that the blinkers are cancelled after every turn on the other hand is absolutely necessary.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Or just have way too powerful of a bike that's geared mega low that you never go into 6th gear

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It doesn't even need to be powerful. The monster 1100 hasn't got that much power but for some reason has salt flat gearing that causes it to buck and shudder if you try to do 100kmh in sixth.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

100kph isn’t highway speed. Sixth is for highways.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

100 is the legal limit in this country. I'm not saying it's cool or good or that I obey it but that's what it is.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

installed crash bars today. took me very long because the italians put red loctite on everything.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Red passione on every bolt.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Red passione on every bolt.

It's just Italian QC. Build one, take it for a blast around the test track, then put loctite on every bolt that fell out on every subsequent bike.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

It's just Italian QC. Build one, take it for a blast around the test track, then put loctite on every bolt that fell out on every subsequent bike.

No, see, you gotta put red Loctite on the ones that stayed in

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

No, see, you gotta put red Loctite on the ones that stayed in

This is exactly what I thought of but you beat me to it

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'm guessing the red threadlocker the Italian factories use isn't the same as what we would refer to as red loctite, e.g. it needs heat to remove. drat near every screw on the Multi had red threadlocker on it and I didn't have to take a soldering iron to them to break them loose.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Jazzzzz posted:

I'm guessing the red threadlocker the Italian factories use isn't the same as what we would refer to as red loctite, e.g. it needs heat to remove. drat near every screw on the Multi had red threadlocker on it and I didn't have to take a soldering iron to them to break them loose.

I do believe the colors are somewhat standardized, but I don't think heat is necessary even for red loctite.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll bet in Italy the three grades of thread locker are red, white and green respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

And when you run out of red loctite, you just dip it into your lunch pasta sauce.