Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

bawfuls posted:

I knew that game was bad but LOL wtf even is this? Do you just teamfight all the time?

you still have to collect xp "globes" from the creeps in lane that die, but the xp is given to everyone on your team. so basically you want to kill creeps as quick as you can and grab the xp. then periodically map specific objectives will activate (collect something on the map, take and hold an area etc), and both teams will have to compete for these objectives. if you get the objective, typically it will damage the enemy team's structures or throne in some way. so basically yeah but not really

e: ho ho! ha ha!

Kevin Bacon fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
If you ever get annoyed at timers that dota has for creep buffs or neutral item drops (I think these came in after hots launched?) or rune spawns or rosh timers, imagine the whole game revolving around having to carry an item or kill creeps in a specific place or do a KotH thing every five minutes.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

RealityWarCriminal posted:

i don't remember hon porting pa. they didnt need to, they had SCOUT

"SCOUT MID OR I FEED" was the rallying call for all the public games.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kevin Bacon posted:

you still have to collect xp "globes" from the creeps in lane that die, but the xp is given to everyone on your team. so basically you want to kill creeps as quick as you can and grab the xp. then periodically map specific objectives will activate (collect something on the map, take and hold an area etc), and both teams will have to compete for these objectives. if you get the objective, typically it will damage the enemy team's structures or throne in some way. so basically yeah but not really

e: ho ho! ha ha!

Yea it's basically this. Each map has its own unique objectives that you must secure if you're going to win, it's not like LoL/DOTA where you're just pushing lanes and hitting towers. But the game is structured to encourage hitting creeps and looking for ganks in between the timings for those objectives.

Honestly I do give Blizzard a lot of credit for really making their own game rather than just copy pasting League. It's fun in a casual way, matches are quick like Turbo DOTA which is nice, but overall I just don't think it's a good/interesting game from a competitive perspective.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
ngl it was kinda fun to dunk on moba casuals. I liked furion for his nuke for some reason.

Thing that killed it for me was that I couldn't use the dota-style camera grab. You either auto followed, edge panned, or the mmb grab would leave your cursor where you originally clicked. You weren't really grabbing the ground (like in black and white or dota), your cursor would disappear while you dragged and would reappear in the same absolute screen location instead of sticking to the grab-point.

Hard to describe but it was infuriating and I resorted to edge panning which hurt my soul.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Sab669 posted:

That surprises me. HOTS was such its own thing with no items, no last hitting, global EXP. Can't imagine going from that to choosing DOTA, hah

HOTS exists in this weird space where it has enough mechanical depth to scare away casual players but it’s kind of garbage so anyone who has any interest in mobas will probably just go play league or dota anyways. There is fun to be had from a “this sure is blizzard IP and some of the buttons are fun to press” perspective but blizz definitely misjudged how important mechanics like last hitting, XP, and items were to the moba gameplay loop and ended up making a game that no one wants.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

HoTS is all about an announcer screaming at everyone about the objective that your team promptly ignores

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Mr.Acula posted:

HoTS is all about an announcer screaming at everyone about the objective that your team promptly ignores

it starts out as that, and once you become familiar with the game its about you screaming at everyone doing the objective while the enemy teams throne is open and ripe for destroying while the enemy team is all dead

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, it's a "MOBA Lite" but even so it's still somewhat hard to pick up. I'm not sure I'd agree that they "misjudged how important the features they killed are"; the game definitely had a good enough player base.... Although I suppose my definition of "good enough" is probably different than what ActiBlizz hoped/wanted. Hence them killing it off :v:

But mostly I just think that by making it more casual it does kill the competitive scene because, again, it's just not that interesting. There is no decision making.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Blizzard’s complete failure to recognize DotA’s potential for like a decade, letting Valve hire Icefrog and eat their lunch remains one of their biggest gently caress ups.

Between some battle passes, random skins, and dotaplus I’ve spent more on this game the past decade than any Blizzard game aside from WoW. Probably about the same as I’ve spent on ALL non-WoW Blizzard games in that time span.

Then again, Blizzard appears incapable of making the F2P game model work so they surely would have hosed it up anyway.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Hots is about playing Murky and being a huge rear end in a top hat

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
noob game. never played it, never will.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Sab669 posted:

But mostly I just think that by making it more casual it does kill the competitive scene because, again, it's just not that interesting.

We will never know because the competitive scene died due to Blizzard pulling the plug after a successful season and not informing a single person or team that their futures were gone.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

If a game is good it can sustain its own competitive scene

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Mr.Acula posted:

If a game is good it can sustain its own competitive scene

They killed all support. As in it went in to maintenance mode.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

I know that, but if people actually still wanted to do events life would find a way. Like Smash bros. Melee as a dumb example

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mr.Acula posted:

I know that, but if people actually still wanted to do events life would find a way. Like Smash bros. Melee as a dumb example

i think its a more interesting discussion than we're making it out to be. a game that must be played in person has a stronger community than online only games. brings us to thoughts postulated by the frankfurt school freaks, fisher, etc. more here than meets the eye reckon. perhaps online games are doomed to sunset by their very nature.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like I've had this exchange more than once:

<pos 5 is bitching about something in post-game chat>
Me: Uhhh it says here pos 5, that you placed 3 wards in a 45min game yet you're complaining about someone else being bad at their role
Pos 5: Wards are free!
Me: Since they're free what is the rationale behind not doing it?
Pos 5: Pos 4 was useless so I made them do it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
my mmr dropped to a career low 10 back in like May, said gently caress it and only started playing heros i feel somewhat competent on, up to 700 now, if cm eats a nerf this next patch i'll be sad

at least they should buff sand king a bit, one of the few unpicked and ubanned heros at the major

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

my mmr dropped to a career low 10 back in like May, said gently caress it and only started playing heros i feel somewhat competent on, up to 700 now, if cm eats a nerf this next patch i'll be sad

at least they should buff sand king a bit, one of the few unpicked and ubanned heros at the major

wait WHAT is your mmr?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Smythe posted:

wait WHAT is your mmr?

700 right now, yeah i know its shite

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Hots is about playing Murky and being a huge rear end in a top hat

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I haven't played Dota for over a year and I feel much better for it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hots put somebody I'd never heard of in as the tank unit instead of Edmund Duke.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
played 2 games last night for the first time in a year god drat getting stomped owns

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
idc who places the wards but i hate when they're all on our side of the map because the carry is a scared lil baby who won't farm unless they're directly under vision at all time

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like I've had this exchange more than once:

<pos 5 is bitching about something in post-game chat>
Me: Uhhh it says here pos 5, that you placed 3 wards in a 45min game yet you're complaining about someone else being bad at their role
Pos 5: Wards are free!
Me: Since they're free what is the rationale behind not doing it?
Pos 5: Pos 4 was useless so I made them do it

I kinda get this though. Sometimes I'm stuck stacking camps in Dire Jungle, roaming with the rest of the team, or the game just isn't going well and I simply can't rotate around as much as we'd all like. Don't be afraid to grab 1 of those 2 wards in stock and put it right where you want it.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

hots put somebody I'd never heard of in as the tank unit instead of Edmund Duke.

And she is inexplicably teeny tiny compared to everyone else.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It can be hard to get wards deep if you are under pressure. No chance to be on that side of the map, and it's a risk they'll see you coming. But in our dumpster MMR you can burn a smoke to do it. You probably aren't using those well in a random match anyway

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
no one here in dumpster mmr gets that you should probably have vision of at least one enemy, either by ward or by a creep wave pushing, before smoking, they just ping "gather for smoke" and then run blind up a hill into the enemy team. even just having 4 guys smoke and 1 sit on the wave to draw the enemy team in is better but no, we're behind so the only way to get back in is to yolo into the fog of war

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Plank Walker posted:

no one here in dumpster mmr gets that you should probably have vision of at least one enemy, either by ward or by a creep wave pushing, before smoking, they just ping "gather for smoke" and then run blind up a hill into the enemy team. even just having 4 guys smoke and 1 sit on the wave to draw the enemy team in is better but no, we're behind so the only way to get back in is to yolo into the fog of war

This happens in the 5k+ bracket too.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
smoke ganks are irrelevant at my low mmr because even if you get a pickoff there’s a 90% chance your team will just go back to farming small camps on your side of the map anyways

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I forgot about how punishing it is to play against an even minimally-competent Beastmaster. Thankfully you rarely see them at my MMR. Mid got picked off around 40min and they just beelined down mid and throned before he respawned.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

I forgot about how punishing it is to play against an even minimally-competent Beastmaster. Thankfully you rarely see them at my MMR. Mid got picked off around 40min and they just beelined down mid and throned before he respawned.

im a beastmaster spammer but i stopped playing basically when they removed necrobook. he was bar none the most ownage 3 in history with the book. you'd get book 1 right as you dinged 6. bing roar a guy get a double kill then take the tower. rotate mid repeat and thus like ciceros av says "victory is assured"

gently caress you icefraud for removing this item. not as fun with hotd & the stomp creep

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Necronomicon needed to go, badly. As much as I loved winning with pos4 sniper that rushed necronomicon,

Zoo strats are currently very strong, and we’re like a single straw away from being a zoo meta. Chen / Enchant / Lycan / Enigma / Beastmaster are plenty strong without being given another map control / dominance 7min item.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DNK posted:

Necronomicon needed to go, badly. As much as I loved winning with pos4 sniper that rushed necronomicon,

Zoo strats are currently very strong, and we’re like a single straw away from being a zoo meta. Chen / Enchant / Lycan / Enigma / Beastmaster are plenty strong without being given another map control / dominance 7min item.

It needed to be reined in but I don't think fully removing it was warranted.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Necronomicon was awesome because the guys were hosed up little weirdos and there aren’t enough hosed up little weirdos in this game they’re getting rid of them all

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The item had been in the game since forever it was stupid to just remove it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It still exists as the 5th tier "gently caress why are you still playing a match this long" neutral item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

The item had been in the game since forever it was stupid to just remove it.

It really felt like the laziest choice possible. It was a unique item, that added to the game.