Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Travic posted:

Also side note. Levelling mechanics is miserable.

it is 100% OK to turn up experience rate to whatever you want it to be, it's a permadeath solo game who gives a poo poo. make it 10x or give yourself bonus trait points or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Flesh Forge posted:

it is 100% OK to turn up experience rate to whatever you want it to be, it's a permadeath solo game who gives a poo poo. make it 10x or give yourself bonus trait points or whatever.

I didn't realize I could do that. Nice. Can I do that without starting a new world?

:edit: Oh! just found this. My game is saved! Copying it here in case anyone needs it.

Travic fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 15, 2022

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Travic posted:

Also side note. Levelling mechanics is miserable.
Mechanics is a walk in the park compared to tailoring or fishing. Even electronics is easier than those two, and electronics sucks.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Tailoring is a case where it kinda gets easier to level as you gain skill, because the main limiting factor on tailoring skill besides time spent is getting thread. Increased levels of tailoring also mean you get thread more often when ripping clothes, giving you extra skill gain, and also increased odds of getting a patch back when removing them, which also gets you more exp. It's really the first couple of levels that are the most tedious.

I happen to be using the auto repair overhaul mod which makes a bunch of changes to car repairs, including the ability to repair car seats with tailoring materials. This levels both tailoring and mechanics, significantly reducing the tedium of grinding both of those early on.

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

Travic posted:

I didn't realize I could do that. Nice. Can I do that without starting a new world?

:edit: Oh! just found this. My game is saved! Copying it here in case anyone needs it.

I have a mod that lets you edit sandbox settings while in game, and it freaking rocks. I use it mostly to juggle around zed spawning, and that’s helped me dial in the exact experience I would like. Finding too much food? Turn canned and fresh food to extremely rare. Too many zeds? Either turn down their numbers or increase weapon spawn rates to counteract. Mind you, these changes won’t take place in spots you’ve already looted, and I’m not sure if the game disappears zeds over time if you lower their spawn rates, but I sure know that they’ll increase if you ask it to.

If you’re not modding the hell of out this game, you’re missing out. Just go to the workshop if you own PZ on Steam, it’s as easy as clicking subscribe. So many QoL improvements are out there, along with some really well modeled vehicles. Most weapons mods seem to make things a bit to unbalanced in the player’s favor, like most gun mods turn you into an autoturret

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

After over 400 hours in Zomboid (lol) I've completely given up on levelling crafting skills normally and just use the CDDA Reading mod to eat books directly for skill points instead.

An alternative could be to adjust book XP multiplier by a bunch but I'd rather just zone out and let my character read for a bit before bed each night.

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

piano chimp posted:

After over 400 hours in Zomboid (lol) I've completely given up on levelling crafting skills normally and just use the CDDA Reading mod to eat books directly for skill points instead.

An alternative could be to adjust book XP multiplier by a bunch but I'd rather just zone out and let my character read for a bit before bed each night.

Me too (lmao).
I don’t particularly mind reading, and having the helicopter event set to often gives me a reason to stay in place for a bit and read whatever book I’m keeping in my pack, or even watching some VHS tapes and other random activities. OTOH sometimes I really don’t have the time IRL to level up a skill and decide to just cheat and get my level up. At most I’m missing out on the rush of removing and reinstalling tires and batteries from cars in zed territory.. which is actually a lot of fun, but this games demands so much of your time if you’re playing clean all the time.

I really do love just how many ways you can manipulate this game in order to have the perfect SESH

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Mechanics is a walk in the park compared to tailoring or fishing. Even electronics is easier than those two, and electronics sucks.

tailoring is i think the easiest skill in the game to level, theres clothing everywhere

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Verviticus posted:

tailoring is i think the easiest skill in the game to level, theres clothing everywhere
It's not a lack of materials as much as just really slow going. Like, the most common way to level electronics is by disassembling watches. Z's drop them fairly often, and you can save up a big pile and do it in bulk over a few seconds. Leveling up tailoring involves a lot of tearing up clothes, and patching and removing patches which takes a long while. Fishing sucks because you get like .75 xp every few casts and then a couple points when you actually catch something. When it takes 200pts to level that's...a lot of fishing. Even boosted takes a hell of a long time. Compared to carpentry, which you can get to level 6 easily without building anything by comboing books/tv.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This is gonna sound stupid but how do I actually cook things in PZ?

I added a bunch of ingredients (chicken and some vegetables) to a fry pan, put it on the stove, turned the stove on, and after waiting for an in-game hour it still hasn't cooked.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
When you say "put it on the stove", do you mean you used the place button, or put it in the stove's inventory?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

It has to actually be in the stove's inventory to cook. No stovetop cooking in this game.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
[PZ] Does it get colder in December? Cause if not I think I have winter in the bag.

Tarezax posted:

It has to actually be in the stove's inventory to cook. No stovetop cooking in this game.
When I first started playing I thought you could cook using the stovestops too lol

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Semi related: I burned down my first house in CDDA by lighting the fireplace on fire instead of lighting a fire in the fireplace.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
there's got to be a better way

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Semi related: I burned down my first house in CDDA by lighting the fireplace on fire instead of lighting a fire in the fireplace.
I'm pretty sure that's fixed now, various furnitures just contain fires.
However, this is still NOT true for charcoal kilns, meat smokers, and the like. That's the difference between lighting a fire under a smoking rack and lighting the whole rack.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Big Scary Owl posted:

[PZ] Does it get colder in December? Cause if not I think I have winter in the bag.

When I first started playing I thought you could cook using the stovestops too lol

I've just hit December in my own game and yeah it's still getting colder. I think the coldest time period is mid-January. I'm well bundled up in an army coat with a sweater underneath so I'm not too worried about the cold.

My current project is clearing a path through the army checkpoint so I can drive into Louisville. I've cleared the checkpoint itself but I gotta take out a lot of car wrecks before I can drive through. I can probably survive the whole winter off of the canned food and non-perishables I have stocked up, so no rush.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Danaru posted:

When you say "put it on the stove", do you mean you used the place button, or put it in the stove's inventory?

Tarezax posted:

Ohhhh. Yeah I was definitely trying to cook it on the stovetop.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
[PZ] can't believe I need to read a magazine to put a line on a fishing rod :cripes:

edit: having read the patch notes I knew that zombies that you killed could reanimate but I just saw a zombie do it for the first time, nice

edit 2: NO loving WAY THE GAME MUST HAVE READ THIS POST

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 19, 2022

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejdePdRq4IM

Didn't catch this in the patch notes and since I haven't been using ropes I didn't notice this change

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Big Scary Owl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejdePdRq4IM

Didn't catch this in the patch notes and since I haven't been using ropes I didn't notice this change

Oh thank god I kept forgetting about those so I never had to rely on them

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It was always pretty hilarious that climbing a sheet rope was way faster than walking up stairs, and it is cool that you can fall down them. Not as much fun as magically zipping up and down buildings but not a big deal

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Holy lol that ropes change is going to get me killed a lot, love it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I assume this is just that they can be "pulled down" by zombies, not that they randomly fail?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I thought they could always get pulled down by zombies?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dogstile posted:

I thought they could always get pulled down by zombies?

The ropes could, yes, but players never had a chance of falling. Now climbing a rope is much slower and there's a chance to fall off, similar to how you can fail to climb a fence

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I've finished most everything I wanted to do in Riverside so I think it's time to go exploring. I was thinking about revisiting West Point, but holy poo poo that's a lot of zombies. There are far too many to fight and too many to sneak around. What's the best strategy for dealing with them?

Also thanks to everyone that recommended mods/increasing the XP gain. The game is really good, its so much better now that I've tweaked a few things.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Travic posted:

I've finished most everything I wanted to do in Riverside so I think it's time to go exploring. I was thinking about revisiting West Point, but holy poo poo that's a lot of zombies. There are far too many to fight and too many to sneak around. What's the best strategy for dealing with them?

war crimes

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

As in committing them or putting the west point grads on trial for what they did when alive

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

CuddleCryptid posted:

As in committing them or putting the west point grads on trial for what they did when alive

Asked and answered.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Travic posted:

Burn them with fire. Molotovs are fine but fire bombs are better if you know the recipe. Fire will spread between zombies that are touching, so if you get them to clump up you only need one fire thing. Be aware that they can ignite buildings (RIP Muldragh police station) so try to lead them to an open field or something. Bring a snack and start in the early morning because it takes them like 12 hours to die from fire so you'll be there a while. It's safer than fighting but much more time consuming.

More trivia, but fire seems to freeze when you leave an area and then resume when you return. So I guess you could run away and do it in shifts?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean it's only time consuming in the sense that it takes you a number of hours, but at the end of it you have killed hundreds of zombies you couldn't reasonably kill one at a time in the same span, even with guns.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I've finally solidly progressed into the Bronze Age in Vintage Story. :toot:

Sure took a lot of prospecting to find some chunks with decent bismuth or tin deposits.

Despite all my travels I have yet to find a good source of lime or salt. Also, plates are the worst to hammer out.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 19, 2022

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

If you have a good car you can sacrifice it's easy to kill every zombie in a chunk by driving backwards in circles and hitting everyone with the trunk, like a tornado of metal and death. As long as you avoid hitting zombies with the engine, you can last for a looong time.
Of course, you need to be ready to jump out and run, so it's key to never allow the zombies to surround your car.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Have they ever done a Project Zomboid free weekend? I have a friend who I'm reasonably sure would have a good time if we played in co-op but I also suggest to this friend a lot of poo poo that never sticks so it'd be an easier sell if he was able to try it for free first.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

explosivo posted:

Have they ever done a Project Zomboid free weekend? I have a friend who I'm reasonably sure would have a good time if we played in co-op but I also suggest to this friend a lot of poo poo that never sticks so it'd be an easier sell if he was able to try it for free first.

If you happen to have the game yourself, I'm pretty sure you can invite them to play without them needing to own the game. Or at least that's what the icon on my steam friends list insinuates every time I open the game. I suppose you might also be able to buy it > invite them to play > check it out for an hour > return if you hated it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tweak posted:

If you happen to have the game yourself, I'm pretty sure you can invite them to play without them needing to own the game. Or at least that's what the icon on my steam friends list insinuates every time I open the game. I suppose you might also be able to buy it > invite them to play > check it out for an hour > return if you hated it.

Yeeeah this thought had crossed my mind but I don't know how the crossplay stuff worked for PZ since at that point they're basically just watching a stream of what's on my PC. Either we'd have to be on the same screen at all times or maybe there's splitscreen?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Huh I actually had no idea how it worked, but yea from a cursory search it seems like it uses a split screen. I wonder if you could stretch the window to another monitor (if available) to make it more... accurate? To owning the title.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Arrath posted:

I've finally solidly progressed into the Bronze Age in Vintage Story. :toot:

Sure took a lot of prospecting to find some chunks with decent bismuth or tin deposits.

Despite all my travels I have yet to find a good source of lime or salt. Also, plates are the worst to hammer out.

The one advice I can give is not to rule out the possibility of stocking up certain resources exclusively from merchants (or other players, if you're in MP). If you have a merchant right next to your base and a handful more within a day's travel or less, you're pretty much set up to make ungodly amounts of gears after a little while of dedicated crafting (selling lanterns, gems and some clothing items tends to be quite profitable, but my guy accepts bread so I made a six-oven kitchen that basically bakes money). The merchant prices seem steep at first but I've saved incalculable hours of mining and grinding by buying nearly all my bronze tools, plus lime and salt.

Also if you've already started mechanization you should get yourself a helve hammer, it's basically plate hammering on autopilot. The one negative is it doesn't store the output when done (or churn it out from a predictable direction so you can funnel it into a chest, like a blocked quern does) so you'll have to be around to pick it up when it's done.

e: anyway here's what I've been chiseling:

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I am based close to one merchant, though he often doesn't buy anything I am really capable of mass producing as of yet. I just hit the point where I'm comfortable with selling off copper ingots, though as my copper usage increases with the demand for bronze I might not even do that. I've done the bread trade profitably a few times but I'm struggling with getting enough seeds to do much productive farming. Automation is still a ways off. Hell I only just finally got all linen bags. Progress tho! That chisel artwork is sick.