Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Remember to post your reactions to the moment.

All of the moments are the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Truly terrible parts of ARR:

The Company of Heroes questline
Cid
"arr, where's me cutlass"

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Vermain posted:

i like to imagine that every VA secretly longs to be in the booth and be given a line like, "scream LOUDER!! i want to REMEMBER THIS!!!!" and told to crank the scenery chewing dial up to max

I assure you it is every actors dream to be told 'you know what, have fun with it'.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Shadowbringer Baby Adventures: "What, all by myself?"

THEY PLAYING THE MUSIC BUT AN EVEN COOLER AND MORE ANIME COVER

THIS IS SO ANIME

I'M HADES

THE DYING GASP NOW ACCESSIBLE

WHEN ARDBERT GONNA BE A REAL BOY, THOUGH HE'S ALREADY THE REALEST BRO

:catdrugs: :birddrugs: :catdrugs: :birddrugs: :catdrugs:

live au ri reactions

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Pigbuster posted:

As someone who just got through Alex Savage Synced+Min iLvl+No Echo, holy poo poo I'm glad it's over. In addition to the difficulty, am I crazy or is Alex way more punishing for lag? We had so many instances of people getting killed after seemingly escaping aoes but we've had none of that in StB so far.

yes, absolutely was. check living liquid tethers vs sephirot tethers for the immense difference in stickiness from the 3.2 netcode changes.

though I think any one improvement would have made it not as historical of a disaster. like they could have the same overtuned tiers but if they had the ability to enable cross-world PF/raiding from the start of the expansion, it wouldn't have caused severe population issues, which contributed just as much to the depopulation of raiding culture - except they had to unfuck a bunch of old programming to enable that in the first place

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

While I enjoy quite a lot of the story of the game, the storytelling I find actually quite bad. Huge amounts of the writing is longwinded / repetitive and is in desperate need of an editor to trim down the fluff[...] balance of story/gameplay is heavily skewed toward story, to the point where you'll often spend 30-45m+ of just running around talking to people and watching cut scenes before any break for "real" gameplay - which is often a solo duty that takes a few minutest; if you only count dungeons/trials, then it could be 2+ hours before you get another one, and that will likely only be 15-30 minutes at most.

For these reasons I became an inveterate cutscene skipper while on my trial account. Many cutscene conversations are simply interminable even well into the expansions. I'm here for 4 man content with a friend group and pretty pretty dress up when alone, and I ain't waiting hours for Urianger to eventually say "pray return waking sands" between actually doing something.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I watch all the cutscenes but the Ye Olde Englishe is very annoying to me

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If you skip cutscenes, youre missing out on the riveting story of Ramza and Alma.....

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

I watch all the cutscenes but the Ye Olde Englishe is very annoying to me

I do enjoy that they ramp it up for Urianger just to show how much of a nerd he is, though. It's a good bit.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Back to doing HW tribe quest and I do gotta wonder if Vidofnir is starting to get sick of seeing my rear end. That's moogles, vath, and few other quests I'm forgetting where I've had to hit her up just for advice.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Control Volume posted:

If you skip cutscenes, youre missing out on the riveting story of Ramza and Alma.....

This is the content I'm dying to get to, disappointing or no. Drip it into my eyeballs.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

This is the content I'm dying to get to, disappointing or no. Drip it into my eyeballs.

It shall be dripped, sir

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

Back to doing HW tribe quest and I do gotta wonder if Vidofnir is starting to get sick of seeing my rear end. That's moogles, vath, and few other quests I'm forgetting where I've had to hit her up just for advice.

Post EW spoiler: Her dialogue updates after 6.0. You are officially promoted to Little One (as she called Ysale). Pretty sure you're just "warrior of warriors" before that, so she's not that mad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Doomykins posted:

THIS IS SO ANIME

I'M HADES

live au ri reactions

Welcome to Shadowbringers. Just remembering when the guitar kicks in gives me goosebumps.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Regalingualius posted:

Remember to post your reactions to the moment.

All of the moments are the moment.

If you're asking me; to be clear I've seen a (Story Focused; and thus gameplay abridged) Let's Play of up until the end of the MSQ of HW. But I'll do my best!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Raenir Salazar posted:

If you're asking me; to be clear I've seen a (Story Focused; and thus gameplay abridged) Let's Play of up until the end of the MSQ of HW. But I'll do my best!

No that was more directed at Doomykiss, who reached the end of 5.0. It's, uh, pretty memorable.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

If only (ShB 5.0 ending) Emet-Selch had remembered his gun, we'd still be on track for the Rejoining

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Doomykins posted:

THIS IS SO ANIME

I'M HADES

live au ri reactions

I'm a 36 year old man and thought that all the magic of video games was gone along with my youth, but this was an all-timer.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

5.0 Baby Sprout Almost At Modern Day: Fights were pretty good by the second half of HW and get better every new one I see. Hades rules.

AWWW poo poo IT'S DADCRED, HE'S DOING THE THING

gently caress YEAH THE AURACYTE KILL SHOT I HAVEN'T BEEN THIS SATISFIED SINCE THORDAN AND THE WOL KICKED LAHABREA AND LADYMASK INTO THE GREAT BEYOND IN HW

AWWW DAAAAMN. What a finale. All the Scions there and Ardbert and throwing the god drat axe of defiance :allears: HEY BAE I BROUGHT 5X MY USUAL HEROIC LIGHT

Now I know why everybody who plays this game is Emet-Selchsexual. :allears: :allears: :allears: There he goes, his incredibly noble mission to make me stop groaning when Ascians are onscreen accomplished.

hmm well I guess Ardbert gets heroic closure and to pass on, that's wonderful too, really spent all of ShB thinking he'd get infused with light or plot and show up as a new Scion :laffo: Pretty good companion character for the expac and making incredible use of what felt like, at the time, a bit of a post-patch dud with the Warriors of Dorkness.

HAHAHAH "we had to swim... the whole way!" the dry writing really compliments when they absolutely land a good joke, you never see it coming

And Endwalker is BETTER???

acumen posted:

I'm a 36 year old man and thought that all the magic of video games was gone along with my youth, but this was an all-timer.

FF14 is definitely one of them, every expac or big raid/storyline I finish I feel immensely satisfied.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Doomykins posted:

5.0 Baby Sprout Almost At Modern Day:
HAHAHAH "we had to swim... the whole way!" the dry writing really compliments when they absolutely land a good joke, you never see it coming

If you look closely in the background, you can see Urianger /playdead in the water.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Their writing team got progressively better and better at making jokes that solidly land with each expansion. There's one about midway through Endwalker's MSQ that had me and everyone else I knew absolutely reeling.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Vermain posted:

Their writing team got progressively better and better at making jokes that solidly land with each expansion. There's one about midway through Endwalker's MSQ that had me and everyone else I knew absolutely reeling.

On the other hand, ARR Hildi quests are consistently hilarious, so I'm just convinced they became more and more willing to add jokes to MSQ as it went on

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Shadowbringer Post 5.0: "You were hoping for the Ascian?"

hopeandjoy posted:

If you look closely in the background, you can see Urianger /playdead in the water.

Pffft hahahaha, I remember what he said before we met Big Whale Friend.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

CodfishCartographer posted:

On the other hand, ARR Hildi quests are consistently hilarious, so I'm just convinced they became more and more willing to add jokes to MSQ as it went on

Whatever the reason, the latest round of quests were we could throw all of our friends under the bus was the best drat thing

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Doomykins posted:

And Endwalker is BETTER???

Tbh, Endwalker does have a few reported misses from some folks at least on this forum. However, based on this:

Doomykins posted:

Shadowbringer Post 5.0: "You were hoping for the Ascian?"

I think you'll like it well enough.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Doomykins posted:

It is hard to call stuff in FF14 filler because FF14 is so consistent about doing set up, whether in the moment to add some weight to what is going on(i.e. general MMO new zone storyline of "earn these people's trust") or for later by establishing what's going on in this part of the world. It feels like they tried to streamline and MMO-ify the part of a single-player FF where you'd get to a new town and obsessively talk to everyone to learn what's up. Like it can seem very filler-like "go do these chores because you're at a new hub and you gotta do chores" but it'll almost always follow a solid line of logic and put in consistent, at least average character building. This is in a genre where most writers wipe their rear end with the dialogue scripts or worse, including the other big AAAs in the field so even with all the warts it shines just for the steady competence.

ARR does mire you in two of the warts constantly but I get the Ascians need set up and are plot integral and all but boy, prior to ShB they're punch clock cloaked villains without at least the bombastic charm of your Exdeaths or Skeletors... discount Organization 13!

TBH it's hard to tell what parts of these are denouement from 1.0 and particularly in ARR/HW things were not exactly being set up for a specific purpose. The writers said in interviews post-Endwalker release that (not endwalker spoilers, but perhaps spoily anyway) the Ascians particularly didn't have a driving motivation, they were just villains doing typically villainy poo poo; to their credit they worked things out well enough so ARR Hydaelyn and ARR Lahabrea's speeches still kinda fit, as long as you're willing to work it into what came later

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Donkey posted:

There are still some things I didn't care for. After ARR I was pretty fed up with returning to the Waking Sands/Rising Stones. At a few points (for example, during the middle of EW zone 6) the ratio of cutscenes to gameplay during the MSQ is also a bit lopsided. I benchmarked it during the last bit before I hit level 90 and I think it was 6 mins of playing to 38 minutes of watching. I know one of the main draws is the story but the pacing could do with some improvement. Overall everything is remarkably solid though.

When considering Zone 6 was pretty much a large amount of putting a bow on character arcs and really establishing the main villain, I'm not going to blame them for long cutscenes for what was essentially the end point of a 8 year long story arc.

Also on which expansion is the worst, while I really liked HW's story, yeah... Gordias exploded my raid group and it is the expansion with Neverreap, the dungeon that almost got me to take a very extended break from the game. StB has probably my favorite 24 man in the game, so yeah, I honestly might have to say I did enjoy my time playing StB, Raubahn EX be damned

MechaX fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 16, 2022

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Crafting and gathering also loving sucks for the 50-60 range.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Crafting and gathering also loving sucks for the 50-60 range.

It's considerably better with Ishgard Restoration and the ability to buy the basic crafting mats for gil outright. It was a genuine nightmare on launch, but I think it's not really any worse than the other level ranges nowadays.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I have a skewed view of crafting since I have a mentor friend giving me mats and guidance, but I can say that even with that help, there are several basic materials that are the hidden resource in its node (Titanium Ore comes to mind), and it's a huge pain in the rear end to get any in decent quantities without a retainer to do it for you. This especially sucks if the material is used in large quantities in several kinds of crafting. Looking at you, Dark Chestnut Logs.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Did the post-ShB DRK quest. Definitely my favorite Job Quest ending out of the ones I've done so far and the Cryptlurker weapon works so well for the final scene.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Whatever the reason, the latest round of quests were we could throw all of our friends under the bus was the best drat thing

The one where you throw Y'Shtola under the bus is genuinely one of the best moments in the entire game.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

zenos yae gallus

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/HadesAuracite/status/1537132185009930243?s=20&t=g99vqf4JfZ8Yxp-xpH4dCw

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
drat one of my old friends that I haven't seen since high school just got into this game and I was like telling him alright it's a slow burn and lots of world building. The story's real fun and it could be a little weird at first (he hasn't played an mmo in a decade).

Later he messages me asking for advice on a level 7 msq and he's like

quote:

drat that reward was fat
Easily new favorite game lol So good
Even this starter poo poo
They got me haha
There goes my backlog

and I'm just pleasantly confused

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm about hi Thancred-deep in Shadowbringers and I'm literally forcing myself to not blast through MSQ even though I want to binge, because I want to chew on this one.

I think ARR's underrated but I never played pre-trim, but i understand how some may have found it clunky. The 2.0 ending makes up for any sins they committed.
I enjoyed HW, it was pretty straightforward, some characters I really loved in there.
I thought StB had some really good bits Little Sun! but felt like i was going to Mongolia to try to liberate New Mexico

but this....this one is special. I see now.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My opinion on the quality of plot in each piece of FFXIV is ARR is “yeah this is fine for an MMO” to HW and StB “yeah this is good for an MMO” to ShB and EW “this is one of the best JRPGs I’ve ever played”.

Hopefully as Ishikawa steps away from lead writer they can keep it up, but I think by now they know the strength of FFXIV is its cast.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

whalestory posted:

drat one of my old friends that I haven't seen since high school just got into this game and I was like telling him alright it's a slow burn and lots of world building. The story's real fun and it could be a little weird at first (he hasn't played an mmo in a decade).

Later he messages me asking for advice on a level 7 msq and he's like

and I'm just pleasantly confused

those level 7 msq rewards really are phat as hell, yo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dudes gonna get his chocobo and feel like the king of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can I turn off the visual effect for Darkside? With mods maybe? It's subtle enough that it's not keeping me off the class like Warrior's does but I'd still rather not have it forcing a red aura on my glam plans.