Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah the gee-whiz plucky wolflings vs. stodgy alien orthodoxy is a bit eyeroll (and even more so when combined with Brin’s space cadet dialogue). Buuuuut hey. Maybe it’s necessary to counterbalance all the tragedy and loss in the book. poo poo don’t go too good for the Earthkids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I do like how the Tymbrimi sponsored us, as a bit

FBH991
Nov 26, 2010

day-gas posted:

It's definitely very "humanity gently caress yeah" and "humans are super duper cool and special" which was grating all the way through the three books of the series I read.

It's IMHO kind of even more grating because of the Terrans' total (and in some cases fully self-inflicted) material inferiority to the Galactics.

"Yes, the murderous hunter-ant people kick our rear end 3 to 1 in an even fight, and every galactic civilization is our materially better, richer, and probably has a higher standard of living than us, but our creativity, for instance the way we refuse to embrace the higher end galactic technology and still use spin sections on our ships shows we're superior."

It's a surprisingly spiritual view for a book that is so textually skeptical of religion.

General Battuta posted:

Yeah the gee-whiz plucky wolflings vs. stodgy alien orthodoxy is a bit eyeroll (and even more so when combined with Brin’s space cadet dialogue). Buuuuut hey. Maybe it’s necessary to counterbalance all the tragedy and loss in the book. poo poo don’t go too good for the Earthkids.

This is certainly true, but I still found myself rooting for the galactics, especially because they're generally a lot more interesting than the humans.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Brin could write an entertaining tale, but the way his follow-up Uplift trilogy ended with a giant wet fart made me p.much lose any further interest.

FBH991
Nov 26, 2010

zoux posted:

I do like how the Tymbrimi sponsored us, as a bit

To be honest I actually do like a lot of the stuff in Uplift. Like, Uplift War and Startide Rising are both pretty cool. They're just a bit hampered, as with all of Brin's work, by his boring 1990s liberal politics.

I found myself, as an alien, just wanting an entire book entirely from the galactics perspective trying to deal with these ridiculous wolflings who lucked out onto a verdant planet and almost became senior patrons by default, but are not utterly unable to actually defend that claim.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Prestige status in David Brin's Uplift Universe setting is set by how old your race is, what alien race originally uplifted you into sophonthood, and then most importantly to intergalactic status how many client alien races you have uplifted into sophont status.

Most aliens races have uplifted zero to to one client races into sophont status in the Uplift Universe setting, with the very oldest and most powerful alien races having uplifted maybe three or four races into sophont status.

Meanwhile by the time aliens stumbled upon humankind in the Uplift Universe, humankind had become sophonts by themselves (strike 1), were young as hell yet already had spacefaring technology(strike 2), had uplifted dolphins and chimpanzee into sophonthood already, started the first stages of uplifting gorillas, and were also considering uplifting a few more mammalian species like dogs or bears or hippos or cats or elephants or camels too (strike three ranging into infinity).

The alien confederacy that accepted humanity into it's ranks immediately went "Jesus gently caress. Imagine 1000 years from now. We gotta stamp these fuckers out now. ASAP before they become too strong. Who bids for ownership of the dolphins?" and things went predictably down hill until Startide Rising made the humans vs everyone else war overt.

Like I've said before, the Uplift Universe setting is interesting. It's just laden with David Brin ruining the premise and the universe setting by David Brin being horny as gently caress, David Brin writing out his libertarian utopia fantasy planet, David Brin being deep into eugenics, David Brin being deeply into plotting out the future sexual activities of uplifted dolphins and uplifted chimpanzees, etc.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 16, 2022

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

FBH991 posted:

The thing that always feels missing from uplift is the idea that these incredibly powerful alien civilizations might have a point, and that just giving into them and being absorbed into their culture might be on the whole better for us.

IIRC there's a Glynn Stewart book that does exactly that; opens with the alien war fleet rolling into orbit and announcing the subjugation of earth, a single experimental FTL warship escapes with orders to steal as much alien poo poo as they can and come back later to help the resistance, etc. It ends with the crew of the ship going "holy poo poo, galactic society is a terrifying shitshow and being conquered & absorbed by these guys is probably one of the least bad things that could happen to us once we got noticed at all, let's head back home and surrender".

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

quantumfoam posted:

If the concept of the Uplift universe still sounds sort of interesting to anyone after the past page of posts, skip David Brin entirely and go to the original source, which is:

Cordwainer Smith's Underpeople that appear in a bunch of his Instrumentality of Mankind series stories.

Underpeople in the Cordwainer Smith definition are animals physically and mentally uplifted to be near-human in body shape and near-human in intelligence. Underpeople exist as servants for humankind in Smith's universe setting, some Underpeople look really close to humans (the cat-people basically), other Underpeople are essentially slave-labor doing things technology couldn't do perform back when these stories were originally written in the 1950's/1960's.

Just be aware that Cordwainer Smith isn't called the godfather of the furry movement for nothing, and that the origin story of the Instrumentality setting is 175% Nazi white-washing in the best Operation Paperclip sense.

Eh, I'll go to bat for Weird Paul here. I don't think it's out of the realm of science fiction to posit a scenario where a fictitious version of Werner von Braun was not actually a Nazi, contrary to reality. Beyond that, the rest of the Nazis in the Instrumentality stories are portrayed as spectacular fuckups who ended up killing themselves with their doomsday weapons because they weren't up to their own standards of genetic purity, and the unsubtle contrast is that the pre-Instrumentality True Men are brought down because they're up to the same kind of totalitarian eugenicist business. I would never argue that the Smith stories are without some extremely weird baggage, but they come down pretty squarely against eugenics and authoritarianism.

FBH991
Nov 26, 2010
So, cause he died recently and I've liked some of his stuff I read in the distant past, I was reading through Eric Flint's stuff and I ended up reading the books he wrote with Weber, especially the Torch books, (in this case Torch of Freedom) and it kind of brought home to me the thing I ultimately dislike about Weber books. Like, it's not even the ridiculous advantages Weber often gives his protagonists. There's plenty of books with extremely strong protagonists, even extremely strong protagonist cultures that don't come off as nearly as annoying. The problem is the way that god seems to favor them.

Like the Mesans are about to do a big attack to waste Torch, and the heroes have found out about it not through any cleverness or anything, but just cause some dude owed money to an arms dealer and blew the whole operational secrecy so that some dude he was buying supplies from wouldn't kill his rear end somehow.

I'm trying to get to like, the one space battle in the whole series where the bad guys have in some ways a tech advantage but that combined with how twee is kind of cramping my style.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a fairly common trope (what's a different word for trope? I hate it) that humans in scifi universes are a low-mid species, but we have a certain ineffable je ne sais quoi, some it factor that eventually gives us a leg up in that particular universe. There's usually a species that's twice a strong and ferocious, one that is incredibly smart and tech adept, one that is super spiritual and wise, etc. but our Human Nature catapults us into the S Tier.

So are there any novels where humans are the big swinging dicks in space, we're the strongest, we're the smartest, all the other aliens are scrubs who cannot hope to overcome our incredible strength and minds?

FBH991 posted:

So, cause he died recently and I've liked some of his stuff I read in the distant past, I was reading through Eric Flint's stuff and I ended up reading the books he wrote with Weber, especially the Torch books, (in this case Torch of Freedom) and it kind of brought home to me the thing I ultimately dislike about Weber books. Like, it's not even the ridiculous advantages Weber often gives his protagonists. There's plenty of books with extremely strong protagonists, even extremely strong protagonist cultures that don't come off as nearly as annoying. The problem is the way that god seems to favor them.

Like the Mesans are about to do a big attack to waste Torch, and the heroes have found out about it not through any cleverness or anything, but just cause some dude owed money to an arms dealer and blew the whole operational secrecy so that some dude he was buying supplies from wouldn't kill his rear end somehow.

I'm trying to get to like, the one space battle in the whole series where the bad guys have in some ways a tech advantage but that combined with how twee is kind of cramping my style.

I don't know if you guys have seen this but I came across it this weekend and thought it was funny. David Weber orders a pizza

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Star wars

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zoux posted:

So are there any novels where humans are the big swinging dicks in space, we're the strongest, we're the smartest, all the other aliens are scrubs who cannot hope to overcome our incredible strength and minds?]

yeah there's a ton of them. anything written by John Ringo although humanity generally is a latecomer to the galactic stage so they have to rely on import technologies for a short while. First Contact is probably the premier 'humans gently caress yeah' book, with unbelievable technologic superiority. in a strange twist from fiction of this type, humans are also stronger and faster etc, but it's almost a cultural difference that causes this- aliens who join their civilization or even just survive fights against them or their allies long enough end up overcoming biological differences and become just as strong and hard to put down. it's like the reason humanity is strong is because they listened to that one fort minor song too much

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

zoux posted:

So are there any novels where humans are the big swinging dicks in space, we're the strongest, we're the smartest, all the other aliens are scrubs who cannot hope to overcome our incredible strength and minds?
infinitely many. the keyword you want, and I'm not making this up, is "humanity gently caress yeah". there's an entire subreddit and everything. often ends up adjacent to the weird dark enlightenment fuckers, but not in bed enough with them to be actual nazis. there's like, a fuckin 800-chapter web serial about it with good ratings on royalroad and so on

not really my thing, mostly, but I know it exists

FBH991
Nov 26, 2010
The big thing is usually those books are so bad that I don't have to read them. Startide Rising is good enough I want to read it quality just makes it uncanny valley.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Still going through Ethshar. At this point I've gone through The Misenchanted Sword, Ithanalin's Restoration, The Spell of the Black Dagger, Taking Flight, With a Single Spell and The Unwilling Warlord. I'm about to start The Blood of a Dragon.

Cosy still isn't the best description of them for me. There's parts, big parts of the books that are fine/okay. A lot of "fish out of water" stuff, which is kind of my jam. But then there's other stuff. Like the princess that the main dude from Single Spell has to marry (in addition to his first wife) being 16. Or the princess that the main guy from Unwilling Warlord would inevitably (and happily) marry being 14. Oh and Vond deciding that as a conqueror/empire builder one thing he really wanted was a harem. Again, there's nothing graphic going on. We don't visit the harem or sit in on explicit sex scenes.

It was up-thread quite a bit, but somebody posted something about how even if the internal logic of a story supports Rape Orcs, the author really isn't required to include Rape Orcs. So, on the one hand, yeah, Watt-Evans could probably justify youthful marriages, bigamy and harems as something that would "realistically" occur in his world. I just wish he hadn't. Like, maybe because of magic the various ages of consent got bumped to 18 and harems are considered passe. The bigamy wouldn't bother me except that one of the "women" involved is a 16 year old girl.

The Misenchanted Sword was fine on all this fronts. I just wish that trend had continued.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FBH991 posted:

The big thing is usually those books are so bad that I don't have to read them. Startide Rising is good enough I want to read it quality just makes it uncanny valley.

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah there's a ton of them. anything written by John Ringo although humanity generally is a latecomer to the galactic stage so they have to rely on import technologies for a short while. First Contact is probably the premier 'humans gently caress yeah' book, with unbelievable technologic superiority. in a strange twist from fiction of this type, humans are also stronger and faster etc, but it's almost a cultural difference that causes this- aliens who join their civilization or even just survive fights against them or their allies long enough end up overcoming biological differences and become just as strong and hard to put down. it's like the reason humanity is strong is because they listened to that one fort minor song too much

DACK FAYDEN posted:

infinitely many. the keyword you want, and I'm not making this up, is "humanity gently caress yeah". there's an entire subreddit and everything. often ends up adjacent to the weird dark enlightenment fuckers, but not in bed enough with them to be actual nazis. there's like, a fuckin 800-chapter web serial about it with good ratings on royalroad and so on

not really my thing, mostly, but I know it exists

Yeah I figured they were bad, but I read very, very few sci fi stories in which humans are anything but an upstart civ in a well-worn, millenia old galactic order. Or there is no galactic order because the Solution to the Fermi Paradox got everyone and now it's gonna get us.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's a lot more common in mil sci fi. there's usually something humanity does or is that's 'weaker' than the others like our population is lower or w.e. but it doesn't end up mattering because we're simply the best soldiers the universe has ever seen etc

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Now I'm wondering what the objectively least common trait that humanity has actually is, like, if we were to somehow make first contact with 100 randomly generated species what is the thing about humanity that'd be the least likely for an intelligent species to have?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Now I'm wondering what the objectively least common trait that humanity has actually is, like, if we were to somehow make first contact with 100 randomly generated species what is the thing about humanity that'd be the least likely for an intelligent species to have?

According to Star Trek: a smooth forehead

But for all we know, it could be anything. One thing that I've seen crop up in more than one story are aliens expressing bafflement that we use the same hole for breathing, communication, and eating.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Balls as a pee storage organ

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
This is basically John Campbell's influence, having humans be superior to aliens was one of his requirements, so early writers went along or wrote empty galaxies (Asimov), and the Tropes got established and passed down to the next cohort of writers and on.

(With exceptions. Lovecraft and heirs were exploring the opposite view in horror, and when the genres recombined that gets back in. And Tenn was somehow able to get around it.)

Anyways, Brin. I absolutely love the very end of his Foundation book. A clever and consistent fixfic for the later chronological books, in the best traditions of officially licensed fanfic.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Endurance running is our most extraordinary trait not closely linked to sapience.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah it's probably being endurance hunters and maybe being omnivorous

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

Eh, I'll go to bat for Weird Paul here. I don't think it's out of the realm of science fiction to posit a scenario where a fictitious version of Werner von Braun was not actually a Nazi, contrary to reality. Beyond that, the rest of the Nazis in the Instrumentality stories are portrayed as spectacular fuckups who ended up killing themselves with their doomsday weapons because they weren't up to their own standards of genetic purity, and the unsubtle contrast is that the pre-Instrumentality True Men are brought down because they're up to the same kind of totalitarian eugenicist business. I would never argue that the Smith stories are without some extremely weird baggage, but they come down pretty squarely against eugenics and authoritarianism.

The issues I have with the Instrumentality of Mankind origin story aren't really about that stuff, it's that:

-A series of brides teach the "jaded hundreds of years old" hero old-world human values that got lost when humanity turned everything over to computers.
-the hero and his series of brides introduce pre-computerization human culture into the Instrumentality that leads to a spiritual rebirth of mankind
-the brides the hero marries were cryogenically frozen and shot into high Earth orbit a long time ago
-the brides are sisters that the hero marries sequentially once the oldest bride becomes too old
-there is a bunch of literal sub-human people running around that act as servants/literal slaves to the hero and brides that is apparently 1000% ok with the old world human values the brides have.
-the brides were cryogenically frozen and launched into space using Nazi Germany era technology
-the brides got cryogenically frozen and shot into high Earth orbit around the peak of World War 2
-the brides are pre-teen German girls that got launched into space/cryogenically frozen to avoid the downfall of the Nazi regime.
-the father of the Germans girls/future brides was 100% not a Nazi but had enough pull with the Nazi regime and Nazi scientists to have free access to cryogenic freezing technology and a bunch of V-2 rockets.
-the pre-teen German girls that got cryogenically frozen and shot into space were born and raised in Germany during Hitler's rise to power but are not totally steeped in Nazi ideology, the author 100% double pinky swears so. wink wink wink.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

According to a pc game called Galactic Civilizations 1, we'd be really good at marketing and selling blue jeans to other alien lifeforms.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

quantumfoam posted:

According to a pc game called Galactic Civilizations 1, we'd be really good at marketing and selling blue jeans to other alien lifeforms.
I refuse to believe that other alien lifeforms have not developed contagious memes :colbert:

Thranguy posted:

Endurance running is our most extraordinary trait not closely linked to sapience.
Yeah, this would have been my guess, the concept of having a speed between "walk" and "sprint" is novel as hell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bipedalism might be weird, it's not actually very stable and walking is really just controlled falling.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Athletics in general may be a place to look. Being able to throw a ball at 90 mph and reliably hit the strike zone at that distance is a suite of capabilities that may be quite rare.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

zoux posted:

Bipedalism might be weird, it's not actually very stable and walking is really just controlled falling.
Non-avian theropods did it better; they had the good ol' massive-rear end-muscles-plus-tail-suite that let them turn rapidly, plus the way their ankle joint is put together makes it way harder for them to unexpectedly twist it while running than ours.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bipedalism is insanely energy efficient, and all efficient things tend to pop up a lot in biology

mewse
May 2, 2006

zoux posted:

It's a fairly common trope (what's a different word for trope? I hate it)

Cliché

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the pizza story is really funny, thanks for sharing that

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, this would have been my guess, the concept of having a speed between "walk" and "sprint" is novel as hell.

Lots of creatures on earth move at various speeds though. Horses immediately come to mind.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every species of non-sessile animal on the planet is variable speed

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

zoux posted:

Alan Dean Foster Damned trilogy comes to mind - humanity is unique because we’re the only species that hasn’t evolved to abhor violence, so we’re incredibly effective in the millennia-long interstellar war.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

quantumfoam posted:

The issues I have with the Instrumentality of Mankind origin story aren't really about that stuff, it's that:

-A series of brides teach the "jaded hundreds of years old" hero old-world human values that got lost when humanity turned everything over to computers.
-the hero and his series of brides introduce pre-computerization human culture into the Instrumentality that leads to a spiritual rebirth of mankind
-the brides the hero marries were cryogenically frozen and shot into high Earth orbit a long time ago
-the brides are sisters that the hero marries sequentially once the oldest bride becomes too old
-there is a bunch of literal sub-human people running around that act as servants/literal slaves to the hero and brides that is apparently 1000% ok with the old world human values the brides have.
-the brides were cryogenically frozen and launched into space using Nazi Germany era technology
-the brides got cryogenically frozen and shot into high Earth orbit around the peak of World War 2
-the brides are pre-teen German girls that got launched into space/cryogenically frozen to avoid the downfall of the Nazi regime.
-the father of the Germans girls/future brides was 100% not a Nazi but had enough pull with the Nazi regime and Nazi scientists to have free access to cryogenic freezing technology and a bunch of V-2 rockets.
-the pre-teen German girls that got cryogenically frozen and shot into space were born and raised in Germany during Hitler's rise to power but are not totally steeped in Nazi ideology, the author 100% double pinky swears so. wink wink wink.

Don't get me wrong, Linebarger had weird sexual hangups even for a sci-fi writer. Just saying 'cause it's 2022 and everything is the way it is, dude seems against Nazism, and I figure he was in a better position to know the inner workings of Paperclip than anybody else in the field.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

General Battuta posted:

Yeah the gee-whiz plucky wolflings vs. stodgy alien orthodoxy is a bit eyeroll
That's Campbell's Astonishing (also astonishing) legacy again. One of the few good ones.
(yeah yeah efb).

Remulak fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 16, 2022

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

We are insanely inbred, just a fuckin genetic monoculture. Shameful

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

Don't get me wrong, Linebarger had weird sexual hangups even for a sci-fi writer. Just saying 'cause it's 2022 and everything is the way it is, dude seems against Nazism, and I figure he was in a better position to know the inner workings of Paperclip than anybody else in the field.

No real arguments with you.
I just wanted to state why I felt a story that was written by a person who wrote literal textbooks about psychological warfare during wartime/was deep lifelong friends with anti-communist china felt suspect when it had the wit and wisdom of time-displaced Nazi era german children being the backbone of humankind discovering itself again after thousands of years of stagnation. That re-discovery story doesn't tend to be included in the works of Cordwainer Smith collections.

Having said, that, my favorite Paul Linebarger/Cordwainer Smith story ever written is "Golden the Ship Was...", which is pure psychological war bluffing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Behold Humanity is a decent sci fi series about humans in space. It's set after we get crazy technological, after a war with an insect race almost glassed the planet.

Basically we just go out and help people and be not assholes.